As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soulcalibur 5] SBO on Saturday. Character lock go!

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Yes. He doesn't have an umbrella so everyone calls it the twister.

The fact that the jf version hits grounded means he can always hit 2 of them with every punish, which is stupid.

I'm not a big proponent of input difficulty as a means of balance, but I can tolerate a little of it. That thing is just retarded. It's probably the biggest reason the Legendary Souls mode took me so long to beat. aPat Edgemaster is bananas.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I really don't see ground twister hitting ground being that big a deal.

That being said I feel like all the aPat hate is more because of the internet vacuum then anything concrete at the moment.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Good news for me. Practicing JF twister was hell on earth.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The MLG rules have finally been announced. And they're reasonable. The big ifs were going to be Dampierre and Devil Jin. Devil Jin is banned, and it seems that Dampierre is legal.

They're using a format that's familiar to other games, but not fighting games. Matches are best of 5, except for rematches which are best of 11. Should make things fairly epic.

Namco has also announced an extension to their worldwide tournament circuit, with another one happening in Vegas on April 10th, this being the "World" finals, and they've got another $10k USD in the prizes pool for that.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    The MLG rules have finally been announced. And they're reasonable. The big ifs were going to be Dampierre and Devil Jin. Devil Jin is banned, and it seems that Dampierre is legal.

They're using a format that's familiar to other games, but not fighting games. Matches are best of 5, except for rematches which are best of 11. Should make things fairly epic.

Namco has also announced an extension to their worldwide tournament circuit, with another one happening in Vegas on April 10th, this being the "World" finals, and they've got another $10k USD in the prizes pool for that.

Continuation rule

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    what do you mean by rematches. like, double jeopardy? best of 11?!

Man, I have that weekend off, but I'm not really trying to go out there to get blown up for 50 bucks. Same wit KoF. Goddamn I need a car so i can drive myself to meets, having to rely on others to get any kind of offline comp is fustrating.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    I don't think there's a venue fee, so their prices are reasonable enough for single tourneys.

They're using the same extended series rules they use in other games. All winners bracket matches will be best of 5, and most losers bracket will be the same. The only time it changes is if the same people play each other for a second time, that's when they have the extended series and it becomes best of 11, and a direct continuation of their last series. So they start with the same match score they had when they last played. So if player A won 3-1 then when they play again it will still be 3-1 and he'll only have to win 3 more games, while player B will have to win 5.

They're also going to be much more fastidious about rules than every other major. An accidental pause is someone forfeiting a round, every time. There's way too much of that stuff anyway.

Disappointed I can't go. Wish these tourneys started a little later in the season. :/

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Yeah, giving people less than a month to get things together is kind of weak. I will probably go to their next one depending on where it is. I went to one of the mlg tekken tournaments they had in DC, much much closer. It was alright...damn nice hotel though.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've never heard of this continuation rule before. It sounds terrible. You already put the dude in losers, now you're making it twice as hard this late in the game for what reason?

Anyone flying out to Texas Showdown? How you doin in the tournaments in your neck of the woods so far, B:L?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    Missing a tourney today because of life stuff. :<

stream
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So from an ad trailer, apparently they've made over 240 tweaks to the game for the patch on the 21st. Should be interesting to see what they changed.

• Options
    I'm most positive about it because they're actually adding a new shop into the game, which is proof enough that Namco is set on supporting the game down the line.

stream
  • Options
    Most definitely. Compared to how much effort they put into SC4 they've been doing a much better job with 5.

• Options
    we got some bigwigs coming down to Austin tomorrow for what would otherwise be a dinky little tournament. Nori (and prob Augustin) from San Antonio and Ice/Jaeger from Dallas. The whole thing is gonna be killers.

• Options
    I've never heard of this continuation rule before. It sounds terrible. You already put the dude in losers, now you're making it twice as hard this late in the game for what reason?

Anyone flying out to Texas Showdown? How you doin in the tournaments in your neck of the woods so far, B:L?

Not too good. I keep getting paired up against the guys who go on to win the tournament :P

I haven't been playing as much as I'd like. Also apparently I need to be cheap cheap cheap as hell with my pokes if I want to win.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jnnGRMzooRY#!

The ad for the video it also show some of the tweaks.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Seems pretty promising, though again have to say I'm somewhat surprised they're going to make so many move tweaks already.

• Options
    I've been so out of it lately I forgot the Impact finals were yesterday, not today.

Here's the stream archive.

stream
  • Options
    Seems pretty promising, though again have to say I'm somewhat surprised they're going to make so many move tweaks already.

Honestly, I think they had a lot of these tweaks in mind before the game was even released. They just had to meet the deadline first.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The guide says that you can just guard some CE's, but I dont believe it states anywhere what those might be, and its such a pain in the ass to try. Anyone have any clues?

Edit: Its all of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Prl6aEN7SU

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    New patch looks pretty awesome. The fact that it's all free is even more awesome.

edit: http://www.soularchive.jp/SC5/adjust/

Balance patch notes. Can barely read moon language but I got the guise of some of it:

Fuzzy guard gone.

Maxi, DJ, Leixia, Xiba, Natsu beaten with the nerf bat HARD. Viola and ZWEI are the only ones who got only buffs, no nerfs. Ivy buffed a shitload.

EVOL on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Zwei and Ivy buffs? *fapfapfapfapfapfap*

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
  • Options
    They basically fixed all the major bugs that people complained about. Step 4g, step kg--gone. Weird buffering issues--gone.

Lowering 2kb BE meter build yay!

Siegfried players will continue to bitch. But that's pretty much part of being a Siegfried player now.

Nightmare nerfs are strange. His throw range isn't what it used to be, so nerfing his throw damage is unexpected. Making 66b better is nice, but making one of his major spacing tools a little less safe in a way that nobody wants to use it anyway?

I like the slight nerf to both Pyrrhas purely from a Nightmare standpoint since he was one of the only characters who still couldn't do shit after blocking. Hopefully he gets something decent now.

Really hope Xiba's new transitions don't become interruptable on reaction.

I'm assuming that they've made it so you can't step Aeon's bbb on reaction anymore and can't tech out of the ch. Good. Even though that's going to piss a lot of online players off. That, making 66a safer, and buffing his throw range should make him more viable.

Nerfing DJ's stupid ring out combos is wonderful.

stream
  • Options
    Highlights from the tournament over the weekend:
    - First time I'm not 2 and out. I won my match against Crow in the loser's bracket, miraculously.
    - Nori put me out of the tournament, but I forced a 3rd set and I also Just Guarded his attempt to troll me with Cervantes' unblockable gun (crowd favorite)
    - I won a set against Agustin in casuals
    - I couldnt scratch IceColdEdge or Jaeger AT ALL. The Dallas crew is ridiculously good.

• Options
    Good job!

My highlights from last weekend's tournaments are not going and getting sick!

stream
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Maxi damage nerfs...so good.

Mitsu meter gain nerfs...so good.

Pat's 66B actually hitting correctly...so good.

Really only stuff I don't agree with are Ivy buffs(like she needed some but so many) and Leixia nerfs.

Also...I knew they weren't going to nerf aPat that hard if at all really.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    So if I'm reading those Pyrrha/Omega Pyrrha notes correctly her recovery is slower, correct? Also it doesn't mention Double Nemesis Step, so that version might not be nerfed for Omega?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Yeah. Their Angel/Nemesis step stab is more unsafe on block making it easier to punish.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Also...for someone who plays a short-range character, the backstep recovery nerf pleases me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    So uh guess Tira's been nerfed back to "never intended to be a real character" tier. No clue what could possibly warrant all her nerfs for little to nothing of value in exchange but if Aeon's buffs don't help him enough at least he'll have company now I guess...

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Holy shit just a quick glance and those are some really big Viola buffs. Lots of damage increases. But the 66B change is huge. Comes out faster (it wasnt slow anyway) and CH properties on hit? That move is now insane.

I see a lot of moves pushed over 20 damage too, prolly to combat the Damage reduction at low health. Althought her long combos still suffer.

• Options
    Apparently Daishi and co. thought Tira was really, really strong. It's not like anyone played her much to begin with so it's hard to say what kind of actual impact she'd have made without the changes.

stream
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Zwei and Ivy buffs? *fapfapfapfapfapfap*

Zwei gets like...2 buffs. :(

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Apparently Daishi and co. thought Tira was really, really strong. It's not like anyone played her much to begin with so it's hard to say what kind of actual impact she'd have made without the changes.

This reminds me of Capcom's unexpected Jill nerfs, despite the fact that no one was playing her anyway. Maybe there's one tester who just cracked the game open with her.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Well again we all know my particular skill level but I doubt it's in much dispute that Jolly Tira was always fairly garbage. Next to no meterless combos, poor oki. She has to play a poke game that she honestly lacks the tools to manage well against anyone else with a decent poke game themselves, and only gets damage when she spends meter to switch to Gloomy (whose best combos always run the risk of just switching her right back). So even if you then consider Gloomy Tira to be really powerful, the fact that playing her will always leave you at the whims of the random stance switches limits her potential greatly (particularly round 1 when you're Jolly and have no meter, makes her fairly free if you don't get a lucky stance change).

Further I don't see much to claim that Gloomy Tira is really all that powerful either. She's definitely more competitive in that she at least has tools available to her (actual oki, guard breaks, GI that leads to damage, fairly respectable pokes, can finally properly combo) but if there was no mood mechanic and Gloomy was simply Tira's moveset I'd be surprised if people really thought she was top tier or something. Gloomy Tira is what made her worth playing, she's an actual character. Unfortunately Jolly is part of that package.

So then they go and nerf pretty much everything that made her good and didn't even try to patch up much anything that made her bad. To really rub salt in the wound she doesn't even have a 100% stance change option outside of CE anymore, the 236 K BE used to force a change on hit but now that's a gamble like everything else. Guess it was wrong for Tira to have a BE that was actually worth using occasionally? Starting to wonder why they even bothered with a meter mechanic if some characters only use it for GI or supers.

I actually don't mean to start whining about something that hasn't even hit yet, but it just deflates me given that Tira was my most used character despite her flaws. Now I just don't foresee much reason to put up with them, she has nothing to offer for trying. Feels like MvC3 Jill situation, nerf her because "trust us she's so totally crazy even though no one uses her and she's never accomplished anything lulz".

• Options
    In the Soulcalibur 4 patch they nerfed a bunch of shit that nobody ever found.

It happens. Maybe there are some Japanese Tira players out there who are taking names. At the very least we'll see how SBO turns out.

stream
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular

Is this like the Jill transition from Mvc3 to UMvC3 deal? In-house QA/Testers know something we don't, therefore the nerfs? I've barely kept up with SC5 since launch other than how dumb continuation rule is (perhaps, being more fair, I should say can be/potentially be for finals), but Tira didn't seem nerf worthy.
    For reference, since not everyone keeps up with mahvel, Jill wasn't anything big in MvC3. She had a level 3 x-factor only infinite where she could chip you to death if you blocked one of her specials and, if you had around Desk-level execution, could do some fancy stuff with her that made her okay. No one found anything she could do other characters couldn't do a hell of a lot better, and with far less effort. According to Seth the Japanese QA team found some crazy broken BS with her so she was hit with the nerf bat. Japan being Japan, whatever her broken stuff was will likely never be known. Capcom wouldn't say what she could do in vanilla MvC3, as far as I know hasn't said what she was capable of in vanilla since UMvC3's release, and the last time I heard Seth comment on it he said he couldn't say what was so broken, but he could say no one had demonstrated it yet outside of Capcom's office. In Ulitmate MvC3 Jill gets used even less than she did in MvC3. Jill was never used in MvC3.

Has any mention been made about SC5 ever getting a patch for frame data to be viewable a la the VF5 replay viewer? I only ask because with the coming patch, and any future balance patches that may happen, the data from the guide won't be up to date. Since Japan's stance on sharing anything about fighting games like frame data, hit boxes, etc. is pretty dumb, overall, that always seemed like a decent compromise. In VF's case you can also have the replays show inputs and commentate to boot.

• Options
    I played Rock and Mina in tournaments for 3 years. Nothing phases me anymore.

stream