As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting my car detailed. (The dust! It's everywhere!)

Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Any tips on getting a car detailed?

I spent a long weekend on the playa in Black Rock NV and my car has literally been demolished.

These pictures don't really do it justice. It's much worse in there

p1030768i.jpg
p1030763t.jpg

First offense was doing an e-brake turn with the windows open. Whoops!

Then there were 2 hours of night time joy riding.....

signaturebighe7.jpg
Akilae729 on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    First open all the doors and go nuts with a leaf blower if you can get ahold of one. If that's not possible, dry rags and brushes, at first at least. You don't want to use anything wet when the dust is still really heavy, because all you'll end up doing is smearing it into cracks and crevices. Once you have the bulk of the dust gone, wipe it down with damp cloths and vacuum it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Yea, do everything you can to get rid of nearly all of the dust and dirt without using any water on the interior.

For the exterior (clean this after the interior) wash it with a good soap, then you might want to look into a full clay bar job followed with compound polishing and waxing if you're really trying to detail it.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    get some of these babies

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=197302&catid=184277&aid=338666&aparam=197302&scinit1=pla&scinit2={keyword}

they clean and polish the vinyl making it look well sort of just like new. Also useful for the plastic bits too. getting rid of the dust first sounds like a good idea