As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS]: Dillion's Rolling Western, Mario Tennis, Spirit Camera!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Um... fuck.
    While Nintendo of America hasn’t said much about their plans for it, Capcom says the second circle pad will be available in North America when Resident Evil: Revelations comes out.

And it looks like the accessory will be called Nintendo 3DS Circle Pad Pro in the West. Nintendo filed a trademark for Circle Pad Pro in Japan alongside one for "slide pad expansion" in Japanese.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/25/nintendo-3ds-circle-pad-attachment-dubbed-circle-pad-pro-for-the-west/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Um... fuck.
    While Nintendo of America hasn’t said much about their plans for it, Capcom says the second circle pad will be available in North America when Resident Evil: Revelations comes out.

And it looks like the accessory will be called Nintendo 3DS Circle Pad Pro in the West. Nintendo filed a trademark for Circle Pad Pro in Japan alongside one for "slide pad expansion" in Japanese.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/25/nintendo-3ds-circle-pad-attachment-dubbed-circle-pad-pro-for-the-west/

What's the matter?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Um... fuck.

What's the matter?

Market division.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Are you implying that companies will only make games that only work with the Circle Pad Pro once it comes out? Because I'd like to introduce you to how many WiiMotion+ only games there are as why that doesn't make sense.

• Options
    Opty wrote:
    Are you implying that companies will only make games that only work with the Circle Pad Pro once it comes out? Because I'd like to introduce you to how many WiiMotion+ only games there are as why that doesn't make sense.

True, but then again WiiMotion+ came out long, long after the Wii established itself in the market. The 3DS is still trying to do that.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Graviija wrote:
    Just got Bit.Trip Saga in the mail today. I only played Beat when it came out on the Wii ages ago, and liked it a lot. Man, these games are great. Runner is really, really incredibly fun.

Wait until a little bit later in the game, and then come back and tell us how much fun* it is.

*by fun, I of course mean "controller-spiking difficult"

Oh so very much fun.

(I love Bit.Trip Runner)

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Aliens looks interesting to me, but I just have a feeling that I'll be able to snag it off Amazon for $10 in half a year.

It looks cool, but I can't get over the fact that it's tied to the movie Aliens, which I wish it wasn't. I've been burned by so many shitty games with movie tie ins, that now a part of my brain always speaks up and says, "No! It will suck! It's from a movie!" I know technically it's not based on a movie, but still kind of is.

Anyway, I was looking at it at Gamestop today, but ended up grabbing Pokemon Rumble Blast instead. It's really fun too. I love seeing new pokes drop. I don't think I've ever been that excited to get a Ratatta.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Day 2 with Rumble Blast was a blast (haha). I've been fortunate to be able to play a lot of local co-op and it has gotten me wondering if there is an X-Link Kai type system for 3DS multiplayer. Has anyone delved into this? I used to play a lot of Monster Hunter via Ad-Hoc Party and it was awesome. I'd like to see something for 3DS like that.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    Aliens looks interesting to me, but I just have a feeling that I'll be able to snag it off Amazon for $10 in half a year.

It looks cool, but I can't get over the fact that it's tied to the movie Aliens, which I wish it wasn't. I've been burned by so many shitty games with movie tie ins, that now a part of my brain always speaks up and says, "No! It will suck! It's from a movie!" I know technically it's not based on a movie, but still kind of is.

Anyway, I was looking at it at Gamestop today, but ended up grabbing Pokemon Rumble Blast instead. It's really fun too. I love seeing new pokes drop. I don't think I've ever been that excited to get a Ratatta.

batman: arkham asylum exists, which is the point at which i stopped worrying too much about licensed properties.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Aliens is a movie. Batman is a superhero. The licensed part doesn't bother me. It's the movie part.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    Aliens is a movie. Batman is a superhero. The licensed part doesn't bother me. It's the movie part.

Aliens isn't just a movie. It's a franchise that started with a series of movies. Aliens Infestation is a pretty good game from developers that have a history of making pretty good games.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    anoffday wrote:

It's not tied to any specific movie, though. That's what causes problems. Riddick showed that when it's not based on the movie, it can even be an all time great. The real issue is when they get rushed to meet a movie release and are made by an unknown developer that makes nothing but movie tie-ins that exist for the sole purpose of cashing in on movie popularity.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying. It just still bugs me.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    If anything, the circle pad is at least a good sign for a Monster Hunter port.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote:

I think you mean localization, right?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote:
    jothki wrote:

I think you mean localization, right?

Right.

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Graviija wrote:
    Just got Bit.Trip Saga in the mail today. I only played Beat when it came out on the Wii ages ago, and liked it a lot. Man, these games are great. Runner is really, really incredibly fun.

I'm enjoying the collection, and I'm glad I have it in portable form. But I do wish they had done more with the 3D effects in the game. As it is, the 3D is pretty basic, despite all the cool trippy polygonal stuff going on.

Graviija wrote:

I'm enjoying the collection, and I'm glad I have it in portable form. But I do wish they had done more with the 3D effects in the game. As it is, the 3D is pretty basic, despite all the cool trippy polygonal stuff going on.
    cloudeagle wrote:
    MNC Dover wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Um... fuck.

What's the matter?

Market division.

Meh. What will happen is you'll get a few games, here and there, that support it but also have non-add-on control options. And then sooner or later Nintendo releases some game for it too, probably as a bundle. Then they revise the hardware in a year or two and it becomes part of the thing.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm still not convinced it's going to ever be part of a hardware revision. I'm not going to predict that it's never going to happen or anything, but there are quite a few reasons why it doesn't seem likely.

Form factor is foremost. One of the reasons the 3DS doesn't have two thumbsticks to begin with is because the battery takes up all the space on the right side where the stick would fit. Battery technology won't improve quickly enough in a year or two that they'll be able to add a stick there and maintain the same battery life, let alone improve it. And the add-on also includes L2/R2, which would change the whole feel of the handheld, altering the Lite-style form factor considerably.

They'd have to dive into it with both feet, and I don't know if it'd be worth it to them to fragment the userbase and outdate the system's existing games just for the sake of a stick. They'd basically be doing it to increase parity with Vita, which isn't something that's attainable anyway.

As an add-on, it's optional. It's a balance board or classic controller. As a part of the system though, it shakes things up too much mid-generation to be worth their while.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Battery technology won't improve, but the power and space requirements of the other hardware will. In a year or two, if they wanted to, they might be able to cut the power drain and the size of other components down enough to add in another stick.

I agree that it isn't a good idea, but I think releasing the add-on at all is a terrible, horrible, horrendous, bad and awful thing, so I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't do it.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So there's a pink 3DS bundle announced for Europe and Austrailia. What are the chances it'll be in the US? And what's up with region locking on the 3DS? Can I import?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Um... fuck.

So, does this mean that the circle pad is required for Revelations? Ultra sad panda if this is the case. Probably not though, since Mercs 3D works just fine.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Tetris DS was good - but I really hate the infinite spin you can pull off in current Tetris games, it takes all the fun out of the game for me. I would prefer if they released the original Gameboy Tetris on the virtual console.

I found that they seemed to tone down the infinite spin in Tetris Axis. You can still do it, but it didn't seem to allow it for nearly as long.

As for Pokemon Rumble Blast, I just got my review up earlier tonight, if anyone is interested.

It's good, arcadey fun with Pokemon, but for what's there, the price seems as though it might be kind of steep.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    The circle pad is not required for any games that support it so far.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I have to admit I really wish they hadn't put out the circle pad at all as well. It just adds confusion to the market - something handhelds have traditionally avoided. Now, given the DS is still an active market, you'll have DS games that will play on anything, DSi enhanced games that have features that will work on any system but have extras only on certain systems, 3DS games that work only on 3DS and 3DS circle enhanced games that will be better with an odd on. I can see some confusion arising for less educated consumers.

I have $10 off a used game at Gamestop - Street Fighter or Shadow Wars?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Shadow Wars

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Shadow Wars

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    So there's a pink 3DS bundle announced for Europe and Austrailia. What are the chances it'll be in the US? And what's up with region locking on the 3DS? Can I import?

Region locking is very much a thing with the 3DS. If you want to import your system then be prepared to also import all your games.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

Region locking is very much a thing with the 3DS. If you want to import your system then be prepared to also import all your games.

Boo-urns.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Boo-urns.

Unless I'm mistaken, pink has always been a phenomenally popular color in the US, so much so that the DS Lite got it in two completely different shades.

You'll see it in the US, and I'd guess sooner rather than later. Likely April at the latest.

With the 3DS to 3DS transfer functionality feel free to grab a 3DS now, if you like. When the pink comes along, you can transfer your content to it, and resell your original 3DS with a minimal loss.

That's what I plan to do with the red model...I bought the Aqua color back in June, and while I think it still looks great, red just looks so much better.

Though I may switch that plan to white, I'm still a bit undecided.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    With how much Bit.Trip Beat gives me a seizure already, I would not want to play it in 3D.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    With the 3DS to 3DS transfer functionality feel free to grab a 3DS now, if you like. When the pink comes along, you can transfer your content to it, and resell your original 3DS with a minimal loss.

I'd be careful. We still do not know what this entails. Watch it come out and find out that it transfers eshop games you've bought only, but not the friend code you've given out to everyone, not all the Miis you've collected and progress on puzzles and AR games, not money left in your virtual wallet etc.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Oh, I forgot to mention. Snagged like 80 streetpasses at Blizzcon. Woot! It probably would have been more but I kept forgetting to clear them out, and it has that retarded 10 person limit.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

I'd be careful. We still do not know what this entails. Watch it come out and find out that it transfers eshop games you've bought only, but not the friend code you've given out to everyone, not all the Miis you've collected and progress on puzzles and AR games, not money left in your virtual wallet etc.

To be fair, as long as it transfers games that I bought I'm fine with that.

The rest, to me anyway, is just extraneous nonsense.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Has anyone tried either Sims 3 or Pets yet on the 3DS?

• Options
    Has anyone tried either Sims 3 or Pets yet on the 3DS?

I did quite a bit of research on Sims 3 because I thought my sister might like it. Reviews for Sims 3 3DS are overwhelmingly negative, the game is supposed to be extremely buggy and short on house design options, you run into memory limitations constantly. In fact it sounds like the regular DS version is much better, no joke.

• Options
    That's too bad - maybe Pets will be better. I love virtual dollhouses and a 3D one just sounded really tempting.

• Options
    For what it's worth, Cave Story 3D is getting a lot of rave reviews from relatively unknown sites. The graphics and remixed music are specifically praised.

Goodgadgetbadgadget - 4.5/5
    Geekrevolt - 5/5
    Gamertell - 97/100
    Justpushstart - 4.5/5
    Nintendolife - 9/10

November 8!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    SML3DS SUPER SPOILERS SUPER SHOW:
    but what would you say if you got even more of the gameplay you know and love? Well, that is the case here. After you save the princess, there are eight new unlockable bonus worlds

These are almost new full-featured worlds with redux levels, time attacks and sometimes brand new content

A good example is the Propeller level filled with the 8-bit sprites from more than 25 years ago. In the redux level, you will only not see new sprites, but the stage is entirely based around shooting your way through cannons

In comparison to the normal game, these levels become intense and hard as nails. Not that the normal game doesn't become tricky towards to the end, but here they are relentless. Finishing them is one thing, but finding all the Star Medals without dying is the true way to completion

Next to this meaty content, there is also an opportunity to unlock Mario's younger brother Luigi

Another thing I am not really allowed to talk about much is the Tanooki Statue Mario

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/28228

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Video of many of the Mario spoilers mentioned above, from a new Japanese Iwata Asks.

One of the main cool spoilers is shown at 6:20.

These are the kind of spoilers that people need to know about. If nothing else, knowing that the game will have some actual difficulty and a large amount of content. :)

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm really trying to hold out for a hardware revision but 3D Land might just force me to pick up a 3DS soon.... So tempting... But so little money!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.