As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS]: Dillion's Rolling Western, Mario Tennis, Spirit Camera!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Back to the whole Metal Gear Solid 3 discussion. Some say it looks better, some say it looks far worse. I'd like to say it's somewhere inbetween. I think they have improved some aspects but not others. I mean I've played the game multiple times at E3 and other events, and it looked fine, and in some ways it looked a little better. But then I see a bunch of screenshots for the 3DS version that look like this and just go, "BLEGH!"

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-20110818010558467.jpg

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure we can all agree that screenshot looks like arse.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Screenshots for 3DS games always look terrible.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote:

Then why were people using them earlier to prove how "good" the game looked?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    skeldare wrote:

Then why were people using them earlier to prove how "good" the game looked?

I should probably amend what I said: 3DS screenshots almost always looks worse than they do on the system itself, in motion.

Edit: And honestly, I personally don't think those MGS shots looked all that great.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    They weren't, to my knowledge. Other than mntorankusu's direct comparison that really shows off one particular improvement.

Those screenshots are very old and were released at the wrong resolution (the same resolution you posted at).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Uh oh...
    People are wondering if the final version of Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D will look better/feature a better framerate than the eShop demo. Here's what deputy editor of Official Nintendo Magazine, Steve Hogarty had to say.

sorryneogaf.png

Looks like the demo represents the final game, as far as visuals and performance go. Some people seem to be upset by that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    A particular store seems to be selling it early. Several people have bought it and posted photos to prove it.

One person's post on the subject:
    The graphics are damn amazing. This game looks significantly better than the PS2 version and it is very noticeable. They are just under Revelations graphics by a little bit, but it's understandable because there is a much larger and active world than Revelations is.

The frame rate is just like the PS2 version. I do not see slow down in cutscenes or during gameplay like the demo. The only time I encountered slow down was during an alert face at Bolshaya Past Base and it was because all the guards in the area were literally on the screen at the same time. This does not bother me though at all because the original had slow down because of the same thing and did not happen often.

3D in this game is the best I've seen so far. With the deepness of the jungle and so much little environment details the 3D really make it feel believable that you're in a jungle.

I have the Circle Pad Pro and I don't see what other people have wrote on the internet about it not being responsive at times. I think it is fine and works perfectly. I wouldn't want to play the game any other way.

All the added features in this game fit it so well. I am not a fan of remakes that change the original gameplay too much. That's the reason I don't like The Twin Snakes. But this game was made to be played like MGS4. I am a bit saddened by the fact that you can't do a lot of the moves Snake can do in MGS4 but it still feels very fresh.

In the original MGS3 I never liked the Survival Viewer because it took the immersion out of the game having to constantly pause and switch camo and heal yourself. That's one of the reasons why I don't have MGS3 on my top favorite list. But now I am enjoying it more than I did on the PS2. With the touch screen hot keys it's much quicker than before to heal and change camo.

For you die hards out there I have not bumped into a codec call yet that was not voiced. I just got past the first boss and I have been listening to codec calls like crazy. I hope it stays like that.

I wish I could find a flaw with this game just to try and balance things out but honestly I can't. It just feels too perfect. The problems that were in the original are gone, like the clunky CQC controls. Anyone worried about getting this game because of the problems you heard before don't be. I recommend this game 100%. And I think it is the best 3DS game ever made. I know I might be a little biased because I am a die hard MG fan and it's my favorite series but I would put the game on a pedestal if it didn't deserve it.

I do like the Freudian slip in his last sentence.

No option for gyro aiming, the control options are either using CCP or not using it. First person aiming turns off 3D like in the demo, which having tried sniping in RE is probably a good thing but I wish it were optional.

Extreme mode is in, game ends if you are seen by a guard.

A GAF person bought it at the same store, his impression:
    So I just got the game. The framerate, the image quality...it feels the same as the demo to me. I forget about it after awhile. Still, a little disappointing.

I do get audio during the [codec] conversations.

(There was some question as to whether all codec audio was in.)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Also, for people playing Raid Mode in Revelations, this is a useful video. The guy is a bit awkward but he demonstrates something very helpful for later on.

Essentially once you get to higher levels, the most valuable mods and weapons in the game are awarded through missions, which require streetpassing with other players and/or playing a mission with someone else online. One particular mission contains a false exit at the start to end it quickly, thus causing a streetpass and giving you a chance to collect one of these rare missions. You can also reroll this mission to another one at random by turning off your 3DS if you don't like what you got.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Screw not just retailer exclusive DLC, but flat out complete retailer exclusivity on specific items. Let me paint a picture.

ME: *walks into GameStop* I'd like one of those CirclePad Pros.
    Clerk: Did you pre-order?
    Me: The thing has been out for over a week, why would that matter at this point?
    Clerk: Because we are out.
    Me: Other GameStops?
    Clerk: All of them...
    Me: When will you be getting more in?
    Clerk: April, maybe..

WHAT THE FUCK?! Seriously this is horse shit, and exactly why a major and fairly important system addon should not be exclusive to a single retailer!

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Can you buy CCP's directly from the online nintendo store?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    G0DG0D Registered User regular
    Yes you can, 19.99.

But I'm sure the bigger issue here is not being able to just go out and pick one up, You've got to order and wait, or pay more for a shorter, but still notable waiting period.

Lack of instant gratification sucks.

• Options
    The answer is that Nintendo doesn't consider it major and important. Their treatment of it is closer to a Wii classic controller rather than some game-changing add on that will be part of future system redesigns.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I hope more games take advantage of it. It's pretty comfortable (at least for my huge claws) and it's not exactly expensive.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I plan on grabbing one for Monster Hunter, and that is all. :P

Also I just finally started playing Pilot Wings Restort, and I've three starred bronze and silver class. So far this game is pretty rad and relaxing. I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Wow, the dark room in Find Mii is bullshit. Require a white mii? Fine. Require all characters leave before the White Mii's turn? Bullshit.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Cantido wrote:
    Wow, the dark room in Find Mii is bullshit. Require a white mii? Fine. Require all characters leave before the White Mii's turn? Bullshit.

Yeah it sucks. In Find Mii 2 there's a room:
    That is filled with poison. The only way to get by is have 2 yellow shirts in your party. They auto-group together and blow away the fumes. It took me FOR FUCKING EVER (like 50+ connects) to get by this on account of no one wearing yellow.

See, it could be worse. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Find Mii II has the awesome fact that you can rehire old fighters...so there is that.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Some screens of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3D, which is complete but delayed by Atari. I don't know a ton about the series, is this a port of one particular version of the game? It doesn't look like the original one I played years ago.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Find Mii II has the awesome fact that you can rehire old fighters...so there is that.

That's true and it definitely helps a lot. Of course, no point in hiring people that aren't wearing the right colors. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Heh, true, true. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Back to the whole Metal Gear Solid 3 discussion. Some say it looks better, some say it looks far worse. I'd like to say it's somewhere inbetween. I think they have improved some aspects but not others. I mean I've played the game multiple times at E3 and other events, and it looked fine, and in some ways it looked a little better. But then I see a bunch of screenshots for the 3DS version that look like this and just go, "BLEGH!"

You can play the demo and plainly see that this part looks better now. A lot better.

• Options
    MGS3 looks fantastic in motion. None of these stills have done it any justice.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

That's true and it definitely helps a lot. Of course, no point in hiring people that aren't wearing the right colors. :)

You mean besides rehiring high level characters wearing the right clothing to do massive team attack damage.

Or people with not quite the right colors but those that match to do ridiculously cost effective spell slinging.

Rehiring old people is a fucking game changer.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Thinking of buying a 3DS and MGS3D for a MGS-crazy buddy of mine.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

You mean besides rehiring high level characters wearing the right clothing to do massive team attack damage.

Or people with not quite the right colors but those that match to do ridiculously cost effective spell slinging.

No, no, no, I'm specifically talking about the situation I mentioned in the spoiler above. I agree with everything else, but it's silly to waste coins on a bunch of non-matching colored Mii's when they all just turn away. I mean, I could hire a fleet of level 7's but if they aren't wearing yellow....

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Thinking of buying a 3DS and MGS3D for a MGS-crazy buddy of mine.

I would suggest the Metal Gear Solid 3D bundle, but it's probably not going to be released stateside. :(

metal-gear-solid-3d-snake-eater-20120103111433707.jpg

metalbundle1

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote:
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

No, no, no, I'm specifically talking about the situation I mentioned in the spoiler above. I agree with everything else, but it's silly to waste coins on a bunch of non-matching colored Mii's when they all just turn away. I mean, I could hire a fleet of level 7's but if they aren't wearing yellow....

Secret Quest has even more of you need the proper duders for this room.

I don't really mind as it reminds me to bring my 3DS with me and make sure I walk at least a decent amount with it every day so I can pay for losing 3 level 7 guys.

At least one of them I can street pass with every day.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2012

You can play the demo and plainly see that this part looks better now. A lot better.
    That is fantastic to hear. Now I have to wait for reviews of the 3DS and Vita version, and see if I end up having to buy both, one copy just for MGS3DS and another for a better version of Peace Walker to play on my Vita.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Quick question for those of you who have finished REvelations
    I just got to the part where I found the binder where Rachel's corpse used to be, now I'm being attacked by her.
    What am I supposed to do? I ran away because that seemed like the appropriate thing to do now I think I should have killed her but I can't find her.

• Options
    During a typical week at my college, I get about 10-20 tags. So spoiled! :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote:
    I just got to the part where I found the binder where Rachel's corpse used to be, now I'm being attacked by her.
    What am I supposed to do? I ran away because that seemed like the appropriate thing to do now I think I should have killed her but I can't find her.
    If you go back to around the area where you originally found her, she'll find you. She constantly will run away from you as you attack her. Eventually you should be able to finish her off around the kitchen area.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote:
    Ov3rcharge wrote:
    If you go back to around the area where you originally found her, she'll find you. She constantly will run away from you as you attack her. Eventually you should be able to finish her off around the kitchen area.

Cool thanks.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So the 3DS has sold 15 million units worldwide by the beginning of 2012. Does that make the system an official success now?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Considering that it's ahead of where the DS was at this point; I'd say no.

Nintendo need to pack up and go third party.

:rotate:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I'd be hard pressed to sell a 15 million of anything and have it considered a failure. Unless it's huge in scope of course. But yeah, "Nintendo is doomed" can still continue strong like they have for the last 25 years. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm still trying to justify getting one. The Circlepad Plus and Resident Evil: Revelations is making it difficult for me to not finally bite the bullet and pick one up. There's no second price drop happening anytime soon is there?

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Considering that sales are much stronger now i highly doubt it.

• Options
    Shit I should have gotten the $180 deal system/Zelda combo when it was available last Christmas. Now I have to settle with the $200 price assuming I can even still find those bundles in Gamestop stores.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Have one more gamestop near me to check for a CPP (they were supposed to have some) before I resort to online. :X

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.