As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Build Thread: Old Dead Thread, Read New Thread

1939495969799»

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hey guys - quick question. I'm wondering how far to go with regards to upgrades. Just got an SSD (love it) and am considering upgrading to a i5-2500k cpu, with a new mobo and ram as well. I've currently got an E8500 oc'd to somewhere around 4GHz, an HD 6950, and 4gb DD2 ram.

I'm basically wondering if I can grab another 4gb ram and be good for awhile. Playing stuff like Metro and Shogun 2 mostly, cranked up pretty high.

Thanks!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • ParielPariel Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, you'll probably be fine playing with that for the near future. Another 4GB of RAM won't hurt, but at current DDR2 prices may not be worth it. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade when Ivy Bridge comes around.

Also, I love Shogun 2. I'm a Total War addict, just started playing Shogun last night, and couldn't stop for about three hours. I normally play less than an hour of video games a night.

Pariel on
  • Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    The only way to answer the question of whether or not you should upgrade is are you unhappy with the level of performance your current hardware provides for the things you run on it?

If the answer is no, then just keep what you got. If the answer is yes, then we can talk budgets and what will actually improve the areas that you aren't finding satisfactory.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The only way to answer the question of whether or not you should upgrade is are you unhappy with the level of performance your current hardware provides for the things you run on it?

If the answer is no, then just keep what you got. If the answer is yes, then we can talk budgets and what will actually improve the areas that you aren't finding satisfactory.

Unless you're bear (or me!), then just upgrade regardless of the answer. Because we be crazy.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited March 2012
    Hey now

hey now

I have perfectly valid excuses that I concoct after the fact to justify my hardware

yeah okay i'm definitely crazy.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Hey now

hey now

I have perfectly valid excuses that I concoct after the fact to justify my hardware

You're crazy and I'm the one who just spent 206 american dollars on a keyboard I don't need.

But god, it's gonna be pretty.

edited March 2012
    Hey now

hey now

You're crazy and I'm the one who just spent 206 american dollars on a keyboard I don't need.

But god, it's gonna be pretty.

Lets don't talk about what my water setup is gonna cost.

Can't wait for the rest of my parts to arrive though so I can ditch these leaf blower reference coolers.

which keyboard did you end up going with?

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited March 2012
    After much debate, I went with the WASD Keyboard. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Cherry Browns (because blues are too noisy for the bedroom, and I have reds now, so why not try something new?), all black, blank keycaps.

I also threw in some extra keycaps to try out. Two extra sets of WASD keys in red and dark grey, in case I feel fancy. And a wrist-rest. And then stupid-expensive shipping because I'm impatient.

It should end up looking more or less like this: cust_creations43.jpg

And I expect a detailed report of what your water cooling setup costs. So I can ape it when I get bored/flush with cash.

minor incident on
    edited March 2012
    mmmmmmm yeah that is a fine fine lookin' board there.

Have you used blue switches before? I'm curious how the browns stack up. I really really like my blues, but having something a bit less noisy for when i'm doing a lot of typing in the dead of night might be good.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Yeah, I've used blues pretty heavily. I loooooove them. My favorite thing ever to type on. CLICKER-CLACK all day long.

I switched the reds (a Corsair k90) because the siren song of the blues bothers my wife when she's trying to do silly things like watch a movie or sleep. I really like the reds, but I've been curious to try something with a little more of the tactile clickover that I got with the blues. Hopefully without as much noise.

Oh, I also added dampener rings to my order. They're little rubber washers they stick on the switch stem to silence the key when it bottoms out. I read that a lot of people really like those in combination with the browns, because it makes it feel like blues, but almost totally silent. Well, as silent as a mechanical keyboard is going to get.

Definitely let me know what you think of it once you've got a chance to play around with it some.

I really don't need a new keyboard, but then when did need ever factor in

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    I will report back. And I assume you'll tempt me with your water cooling rig? Deal?

Oh of course.

Now so long as my CPU block arrives with the rest of my stuff I should be able to get to work on it next week.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Id really like to try a mechanical keyboard, but two things are stopping me: 1) price (god damn theyre not cheap) and 2) I really really like having media keys and I havent seen any that have them.

Also, my mobo doesnt have a PS2 port, but I guess I could just let the keyboard take up 2 USB slots.

EDIT: Do we have a Windows 8 thread? I searched but it wasnt very helpful.

emp123 on
    The lack of media keys put me off for a while, since I used them a lot on my old board. But honestly the typing experience is so much nicer that I wouldn't go back.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Those WASD Keyboards looks really nice, and I like how you can customize everything from the color of the keys, the font, the font size, etc. As cool as that is looking at the gallery reminded me how sometimes too much choice is a bad thing for people with no concept of aesthetic design. Some of them have a practical use because I've seen keyboards for video or audio workstations with crazy colors (I'd like to have something like that but tailored for Photoshop to use at work despite having all of my most used hotkeys memorized), but some of them that clearly aren't are just painful to look at.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    so when are those sapphire 6950's that have good luck unlocking to 6970's going to drop in price? hrm?

also - can anybody help me?

@dadouw ironic that I'm asking about upgrading the video card but my 80$ 5750 is pretty bad-a. Silent too. BF3@1080p with the "high" preset runs a solid 29fps. So I drop some things to get it up but Skyrim runs beautifully...Crysis 1 and The Witcher 2 are the only reasons I want to upgrade. ^o^

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @emp123

I have a thermaltake meka g1, uses cherry blacks, great build quality, and it has media keys via a fn modifier key, not quite as good as dedicated media keys, but it is workable. you might want to take a look at it. You'd just have to get over the high prices of a mechanical keyboard.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I installed Windows 8 and Im kind of meh about the whole Metro thing or whatever. I think Id like it a lot more if it looked like this.

I think the most annoying thing so far is that if I want to boot into Windows 7, I have to boot into Windows 8 and then tell it I want to boot Windows 7. Im sure theres something I could do to change that...I should really look into doing so.

EDIT: I think I fixed the boot issue. Still not super thrilled by the metro thing though.

emp123 on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Everyone abandon this ancient, decrepit thread for the newer, decrepit thread.

This discussion has been closed.