As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lets talk Horror Movies!

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    what do you mean? It ended with
    a paradox. The main character went back in time and started the cycle.

But yeah, the later movie were a fucking mess.

DanHibiki on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Well, cliffhanger in that we'll never know what happens due to that.

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I haven't seen the movie (the second one was awful), but this is a rather cool scene from Exorcist III that I just found (it's a horror movie, so consider yourself warned)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Following from the mention of The Devil's Backbone above: my favourite ghost stories are the ones that are at least as much about sadness as about frights, e.g. del Toro's film, The Others or The Orphanage. Ghosts that are just played for scares tend to strike me as a bit of a wasted opportunity.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen the movie (the second one was awful), but this is a rather cool scene from Exorcist III that I just found (it's a horror movie, so consider yourself warned)

The other creepy scene I've seen on youtube is the ceiling one.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Just got back from Paranormal 3.

I thought it was pretty good! Pleasantly surprised.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    24 Hours of Horror with Edgar Wright

Pretty good list. They did the same thing last year with Eli Roth, who (despite what you might think of his films) had some great choices as well.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Paranormal Activity 3 was pretty good but definately the weaker of the 3. But that tends to be the thing with all prequels. There are too many rules for the story set by the sequential movies that makes them pretty cookie cutter. Granted 3 doesn't really tie up any of the loose ends and "the last 15 minutes will mess you up for life" yeah...I thought it fell kinda flat. The ending to Activity 2 on the other hand was just brutal in the suddenness of it.

Thanks to TVTropes I now can't watch Event Horizon the same again. When you break down what happened to the Event Horizon and how the forces of Chaos and the Warp work in Warhammer 40k. It makes Event Horizon the unofficial prequel to the entire Warhammer 40k universe. Warhammer 2k if you will. the stories really do sync up that well.

I still to this day think that my favorite sub genre of Horror is the Slasher Film. The 80s icons were favorites growing up and if you haven't seen them. Hatchet 1/2 and the first Laid to Rest are great modern slashers that are/feel like true homages and successors to the slasher film genre.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    EDIT: Also this is my most anticipated horror movie next year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9Pr-W92SM

I absolutely love the book and while I will watch this movie as soon as it comes out, I doubt it's going to be all that good.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    That scene from Exorcist III is the scariest horror scene ever made.

It is also not as scary without the dread built up by the earlier portions.

Watch it. It is fantastic.

Also the scene is actually much longer.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    EDIT: Also this is my most anticipated horror movie next year.
    "John Dies at the End trailer"

I absolutely love the book and while I will watch this movie as soon as it comes out, I doubt it's going to be all that good.

I don't know, that trailer makes me pretty hopeful actually. From what I can see, they nailed the general tone of the book, and all of the characters I could spot (John, Dave, Amy, Arnie, "Morgan Freeman", Dr. Marconi, Peter North, etc) seem to have been cast just perfectly. Also, they kept the meat monster in, so that gives it bonus points right there.

As for horror movies, one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Let Me In, which is a remake of another Swedish film of a similar name. It's a pretty recent movie, and you can stream it on Netflix I believe. The thing I really liked about it was that the horror didn't so much come from individual moments or scenes in the film (though there are a few in there). Instead, it's more from the overall situation that the characters find themselves in, and the choices they have to make. There's an undercurrent of sadness running through the whole thing that really hit home for me. I can't give too much away without spoiling the whole thing, but it's definitely worth giving a shot.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited October 2011
    But Dookie, its a needless remake!

In all seriousness though, let me in was really good.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I thought Let Me In (Let the Right One In?) was absolutely awful. I mean, it's three hours of fucking stupid boring shit, and then 15 minutes of vampires. And awkward pre-teen romance.

L Ron Howard on
    You are the worst

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    I thought Let Me In (Let the Right One In?) was absolutely awful. I mean, it's three hours of fucking stupid boring shit, and then 15 minutes of vampires. And awkward pre-teen romance.
    I can't speak for the original because I haven't seen it, but if that's all you took away from Let Me In, then it's no wonder you hated it. For me though, the pre-teen romance and vampire stuff was secondary to the real issues the movie addresses.

Steam | Twitch
    edited October 2011
    I didn't even think the situations the characters found themselves in were all that horrific, or thrilling, or suspenseful. I mean, sure it was cool that the stupid kid
    finally stuck up for himself and beat the other kid with a hockey stick,
    or that he nearly drowned before being saved by his awkward vampire lover
    But I think that's just about the only redeeming parts of the movie. It would have been better off being a forgotten Swedish film, rather than copied over exactly to here, where it's not very good at doing anything outside of the spoilers.

L Ron Howard on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I don't think Let the Right One In is a horror film. Vampires, yes, some gore, yes, but not really anything in the way of horror. It's a good movie though (the Swedish one)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    SammyF wrote:
    There's a really great vampire movie I saw recently that I wanted to recommend, but I can't remember its name or find it in Netflix....

EDIT: I remembered! Daybreakers is the story of a dystopian society in the not-to-distant future where nearly the entire world's population has succumbed to a vampiric plague, and the most precious commodity in the world is the blood of those few humans who remain.

Daybreakers is a piece of garbage with laugh-out-loud bad acting. Ugh. And I paid to see it.

Other terrible horror films: Bug; Haute Tension; pretty much every recent horror movie made.

Less-to-Not terrible horror films: The Descent; Dead Silence; El Orfanato.

adytum on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    I didn't even think the situations the characters found themselves in were all that horrific, or thrilling, or suspenseful. I mean, sure it was cool that the stupid kid
    finally stuck up for himself and beat the other kid with a hockey stick,
    or that he nearly drowned before being saved by his awkward vampire lover
    But I think that's just about the only redeeming parts of the movie. It would have been better off being a forgotten Swedish film, rather than copied over exactly to here, where it's not very good at doing anything outside of the spoilers.

A forgotten Swedish film? Are you serious or are you just trying to get all the wrong things out you possibly can, thinking that they are a finite resource that, once exhausted, will only leave you with right things? First, Let the Right One In was immensely popular even before the remake. People have been talking about how great that movie is for years. Secondly, you completely missed the boat on the themes presented in the films, which is fine, that's why we have the horror movies we do, like Saw and the like, so you don't have to bother with themes and subtext.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I'll suggest a few that I liked.

Splinter http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1031280/ very awesome

Rogue http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479528/ (a surprisingly good giant alligator movie)

The Children http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172571/ this one is actually pretty disturbing, my fiance who loves horror movies had a hard time watching it.

Pandorum http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188729/ more of a Sci-Fi horror movie. I enjoyed it alot.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Oh I forgot Pandorum; that was also terrible. But it had great set design! Whoo?!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:
    That scene from Exorcist III is the scariest horror scene ever made.

It is also not as scary without the dread built up by the earlier portions.

Watch it. It is fantastic.

Also the scene is actually much longer.

I cannot agree more. It's expertly crafted.

Big Dookie wrote:
    I can't speak for the original because I haven't seen it, but if that's all you took away from Let Me In, then it's no wonder you hated it. For me though, the pre-teen romance and vampire stuff was secondary to the real issues the movie addresses.

Problem 1 with Let Me In is that in the original it's not a pre-teen romance but of course that's what the US audiences needed to see.

Problem 2 is everything else about the movie. I loved Let The Right One in. The remake is an insult.

darkmayo wrote:
    I'll suggest a few that I liked.

Splinter http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1031280/ very awesome

The Children http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172571/ this one is actually pretty disturbing, my fiance who loves horror movies had a hard time watching it.

Seconded, Splinter was really really good.

Everyone should try to find Ghostwatch, that UK mocumentary from the early 90's Really a great spooky little show, especially since it was made for TV.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:
    Oh I forgot Pandorum; that was also terrible. But it had great set design! Whoo?!

I wouldnt say terrible, it was... ummm fun?

Another one that I enjoyed

End of the Line http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0494224/ Canadian film, interesting story, some bad acting

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited October 2011
    Pandorum was not the worst movie I have ever seen. That's the most positive thing I can say about it.

adytum on
    I liked Pandorum okay. It did some things well, some things not so well. I thought the ending was kind of neat.

Oh, another one I just thought of is The Signal. I had no idea what to expect going into that one, and I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the structure of the movie, and the darkly comedic middle section of the film was totally unexpected and fun.

Steam | Twitch
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I liked Pandorum. I won't say it is a good film. but I liked it.

I love Slither. A great, over-the-top take on B horror.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Big Dookie wrote:

Problem 1 with Let Me In is that in the original it's not a pre-teen romance but of course that's what the US audiences needed to see.

Problem 2 is everything else about the movie. I loved Let The Right One in. The remake is an insult.

Even the first iteration of the film glossed over a lot of the more-interesting, disturbing and original stuff from the book.
    Eli's sexual identity as a castrated boy, the caretaker Hakan's history as a pedophile and his own predatory desire for Eli.

The American version glosses over this stuff, but moreso.

I actually thought that Paranormal Activity 2 was the weakest of the lot. The pacing felt really off; the first one had a steady even build up (same with the third), but 2's had too much nothing going on in it before it ramped it up to full-blown tension. A lot of that felt wasted because the sense of dread hadn't been properly established, and I thought the ending fell a bit flat.

Well, maybe it's because I watched the US version, and then shortly after saw the Swedish one for 5 minutes before realizing they're the same thing, and changed the channel.
    The US one is horrible, I'm sorry. I don't believe I have any problems with sub-text and the like, but the movie is just boring. It wasn't thrilling, or suspenseful, or anything but stupid. It's like A River Runs Through It, except with teens and vampires and not fishing and abusive dads.

They were both on on Sunday on one of the channels on satellite, so I just watched most of the US one, and later saw the Swedish one before realizing they were the same thing, and thus ultimately really really lame.
    If the Swedish one is that much better, maybe I'll give it a shot.
    But fuck the US version. LAAAAAAAME

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Dee Snider's Strangeland. It was a "realistic" plot with fairly realisitic people. It certainly falls into "this shit could happen" territory.

I also like that that bad guy isn't a total pussy who gets his ass kicked everytime he he goes after someone. He really is dangerous, and you should stay away from him. Favorite line had to be "It's easy to be hard from behind your momma's skirt".

That always bugged me about Scream; Ghost Face insta-killed every male victim, but if the victim was a woman, he got his ass handed to him everytime.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I would call Let Me In horror, but I liked it a lot. It's a slow and subtle movie that sorta involves vampires. If you went in expecting a horror movie I could see being disappointed. I liked it for what it was.

And I found the pacing in Paranormal Activity 3 to be really off.
    The movie had so many jump scare moments even at the beginning. It didn't feel like it was building up progressively, but that shit was fucked up all the way through but in different ways. The first one was great cause nothing even happens on camera the first night and the second night the damn door moves slightly and you're all OH SHIT! You knew that each night was going to be worse than the last, it built sequentially and after about 3 nights you could figure that pattern out. The same formula worked for the second movie. I could tell you the order of things happening in the first and second movie based on how scary it was, the third movie I couldn't tell you the order because it was all over the place.

Capt Howdy wrote:
    I really enjoyed Dee Snider's Strangeland. It was a "realistic" plot with fairly realisitic people. It certainly falls into "this shit could happen" territory.

I also like that that bad guy isn't a total pussy who gets his ass kicked everytime he he goes after someone. He really is dangerous, and you should stay away from him. Favorite line had to be "It's easy to be hard from behind your momma's skirt".

That always bugged me about Scream; Ghost Face insta-killed every male victim, but if the victim was a woman, he got his ass handed to him everytime.
    A guy named captain howdy liked Strangeland?

Shocker. :p

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Capt Howdy wrote:

A guy named captain howdy liked Strangeland?

Shocker. :p

:D

I dig the song too.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    Even the first iteration of the film glossed over a lot of the more-interesting, disturbing and original stuff from the book.
    Eli's sexual identity as a castrated boy, the caretaker Hakan's history as a pedophile and his own predatory desire for Eli.

The American version glosses over this stuff, but moreso.
    I have to say, I didn't find the first of those all that interesting - what does it matter to Eli or to Oscar? The second and third too - I didn't feel that they added all that much to the characters, since they were well defined through what they said and their actions. Perhaps it'd be different if I'd first read the novel and then seen the film, but as it is I think that the film is an improvement on the source material in most if not all respects. (Having said that, I read the novel in the German translation, so some of what I didn't like all that much may have been down to the translation.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited October 2011
    Man, maybe I missed something about the second Paranormal Activity, but I really don't remember anything notable happening through most of the second movie. It was pretty much extremely subtle 90% of the way through, and then it was like the director forgot that the movie was over in 20 minutes so he crammed in the high-tension scares at the end. It felt very uneven :?

3 had a few jump scares in the film, but they were more or less joke scares from the cast of characters themselves.

Godfather on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    I liked Pandorum. I won't say it is a good film. but I liked it.

I love Slither. A great, over-the-top take on B horror.

I feel like I should have liked Slither. Love Army of Darkness, Dog Soldiers, Shaun of the Dead, Braindead, Return of the Living Dead, Bubba Ho-Tep, Tremors, Re-Animator, and so on. Thought stuff like Dead snow and Frostbitten was fine. Didn't really have a problem with rubbish stuff like Doghouse. But Slither? Worst. Movie. Ever.

Which is odd, 'cause it feels like I should like it. Not even sure what really me rubbed the wrong way. Well, except everything, but that isn't exactly constructive criticism.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Capt Howdy wrote:

Given that Scream was a satire of slasher flicks, it didn't bother me that much. Guys always get instakilled by the killer. The survivor is usually a girl, who somehow savagely kicks his shit in and then "kills" him.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Paranormal Activity 3 was pretty good but definately the weaker of the 3. But that tends to be the thing with all prequels. There are too many rules for the story set by the sequential movies that makes them pretty cookie cutter. Granted 3 doesn't really tie up any of the loose ends and "the last 15 minutes will mess you up for life" yeah...I thought it fell kinda flat. The ending to Activity 2 on the other hand was just brutal in the suddenness of it.

Thanks to TVTropes I now can't watch Event Horizon the same again. When you break down what happened to the Event Horizon and how the forces of Chaos and the Warp work in Warhammer 40k. It makes Event Horizon the unofficial prequel to the entire Warhammer 40k universe. Warhammer 2k if you will. the stories really do sync up that well.

I still to this day think that my favorite sub genre of Horror is the Slasher Film. The 80s icons were favorites growing up and if you haven't seen them. Hatchet 1/2 and the first Laid to Rest are great modern slashers that are/feel like true homages and successors to the slasher film genre.

Let's not make any snap judgements now.