As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Cookie Brigade EAST 2012 - Bake Cookies, help Child's Play!

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    LinkSmash wrote:
    I'm coming from out of town too... California. haha Would it be bad to bake cookies before and keeping them in toe for an 8 hour flight?

People have definitely brought cookies in their luggage before. Just make sure they are packed tightly and cushioned well around the edges so the baggage throwers don't destroy them.

HI3789R.png
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I will be shipping Jammy Dodgers and sugar cookies in shape of Mrs/Mr Pacman and Metroids. My group is already collecting funds for baking supplies and shipping. I hope they help this year.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I would have to say that the big favorites last year were Star Wars cookies, oreo-stuffed chocolate chip, and so on.

Also, just a note to people who are making things, we also take candy for the people who can't have gluten. Last year, we had someone make hard candy in the shape of Space Invaders that were really cool. If you can make amazing hard candy, chocolates, or gummies, make them as well.

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I saw the unicorn poop and though of the brigade also.

Me too! Very tempted to make some! :D

Ln5yLL7.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Welcome to the Brigade! Approved applications are done; check your inbox for a PM if you've been waiting.

If you applied and were not approved, please send a PM for more information.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    Do I remember correctly that there were little bags of popcorn/snack mix last year? I'd be down for making something like that.

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    CaveCibum wrote:
    Do I remember correctly that there were little bags of popcorn/snack mix last year? I'd be down for making something like that.

Do you mean the chocolate popcorn in the baggies?

If so I can ask my step mother to make more again, she was happy to make it last year so I can't imagine she would mind making more.

Skyrim themed cookies! How about honey-nut treats? Maybe rice krispies with honey and nuts in them, on a wood skewer?

I think I have managed to convince Robziel to make some of his incredibly awesome cookie bars for the brigade.

• griftgrift [E] - Registration Table NYCRegistered User regular
    Hey everyone! New baker here (discovered the joys of dough over the holiday season). Just got my PAX East pass so I'm hoping I can help out w/ the brigade this year... though I'll probably just bake a few (several?) dozen cookies and hand off to another brigadier. (In case anyone's wondering, yup, I registered at cookie-brigade.com)

Hi Grift, Welcome! Your Brigade application has been approved. Thanks for joining up!

• CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    ransim wrote:
    CaveCibum wrote:

If so I can ask my step mother to make more again, she was happy to make it last year so I can't imagine she would mind making more.

That must have been it, yes :) I meant it more that I could make something like it, but if I enjoyed it, I'm sure other PAXers would as well.

CaveCibum wrote:
    ransim wrote:
    CaveCibum wrote:

That must have been it, yes :) I meant it more that I could make something like it, but if I enjoyed it, I'm sure other PAXers would as well.

By all means go for it!

They were quite popular, along with the rice krispie treats. I can't make cookies because my oven is a entrance to hades, so I was planning to do rice krispie treats along with the candy I normally make.

• MagneticImageMagneticImage Registered User regular
    Question: Could I bring coffee instead of cookies? We got to PAX 2:30 hours early on Friday and one of my friends sold all of her cookies within 15 minutes. However, a lot of people asked for coffee which gave me the idea.

• karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    I'd like to encourage everyone who is interested in giving time or resources to the Cookie Brigade for the benefit of Child's Play to contact Vthornheart or another of the Cookie Brigade liasons. The Cookie Brigade will be continuing to offer special physical patches to those who help out.

"In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    punzie wrote:
    LinkSmash wrote:
    I'm coming from out of town too... California. haha Would it be bad to bake cookies before and keeping them in toe for an 8 hour flight?

People have definitely brought cookies in their luggage before. Just make sure they are packed tightly and cushioned well around the edges so the baggage throwers don't destroy them.

Sweet! Thank you! I might cook up a batch or so. Also, no premade store bought things aren't worthy are they? haha

Question: Could I bring coffee instead of cookies? We got to PAX 2:30 hours early on Friday and one of my friends sold all of her cookies within 15 minutes. However, a lot of people asked for coffee which gave me the idea.

Well, if she was 'selling' cookies, then she wasn't part of the Brigade. Remember that we only give cookies away and if someone wants to give us a donation while we're there, then great! There might be some... issues with the coffee idea but I'm not sure. Regardless, it's a topic that's better off the open forum. Why don't you sign up on the Cookie Brigade website, where it could be discussed more openly? www.cookie-brigade.com
    LinkSmash wrote:
    Sweet! Thank you! I might cook up a batch or so. Also, no premade store bought things aren't worthy are they? haha

Premade store bought things are fine. The more the merrier! Besides, hungry conventioneers won't care if you have store bought cookies, they just want COOOKKKIES.

• General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    I hope there will be more Oreo balls there this year (hint hint wink wink). Last year my friends received them and raved about them. I got the Chocolate Chip, which were also very good, but didn't sate my curiosity. I was more than happy to fork over $5 (I vow to at least double that this year) for cookies, and more importantly, Child's Play.

steam_sig.png
    LinkSmash wrote:

Premade store bought things are fine. The more the merrier! Besides, hungry conventioneers won't care if you have store bought cookies, they just want COOOKKKIES.

YAY! This makes it so much easier then. I can just pick up some "home made" cookies around Boston then haha

• klzklz Registered User regular
    There might be some... issues with the coffee idea but I'm not sure.

If I remember correctly, Sat morning (and/or Sunday?), the BCEC had a small vending cart walking around the queue room with coffee, donuts and small things like that for sale. I wonder if the BCEC is planning on having more of those going around in the early morning too and might not look favorably on giving away coffee.

klz wrote:
    There might be some... issues with the coffee idea but I'm not sure.

If I remember correctly, Sat morning (and/or Sunday?), the BCEC had a small vending cart walking around the queue room with coffee, donuts and small things like that for sale. I wonder if the BCEC is planning on having more of those going around in the early morning too and might not look favorably on giving away coffee.

The BCEC does not allow any food to be distributed inside the convention center other than the food that comes from their vendors. I very strongly suggest that you sign up on the Cookie Brigade website to discuss the issue further.

Oh. That sucks. So there's no standing outside the venue and chiming with "Buy a cookie for charity!!"?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    No members of cookie brigade sell cookies.

I would heed LexiconGrrl's advice that if you want further clarification/discussion on that point, sign up for the cookie brigade website and discuss details there.

zerzhul on
    edited January 2012
    We've set up a Google+ page for the brigade!

http://gplus.to/CookieBrigade

Please be mindful that this does not replace the Cookie Brigade website, but it will be used during PAX itself.

ransim on
    zerzhul wrote:
    No members of cookie brigade sell cookies.

I would heed LexiconGrrl's advice that if you want further clarification/discussion on that point, sign up for the cookie brigade website and discuss details there.

Oh alright! Thank you! I was about to ask where it is should I drop off the baked goods. You beat me to the punch haha

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity (and I know they announced on the site that they were trying to get a head count) do we know how many cookie-folk will be at East so far?

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    MASeffect wrote:
    Just out of curiosity (and I know they announced on the site that they were trying to get a head count) do we know how many cookie-folk will be at East so far?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: There's never an exact number as lots of folks just drop in unannounced to help out (or sign up but never show up), but we always need distributors! We're currently launching a new intake process that Ransim designed (it's really awesome) that hopefully will give us a better idea of how many folks we can plan on. It's going to help the planning and logistics a lot!

MASeffect wrote:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: There's never an exact number as lots of folks just drop in unannounced to help out (or sign up but never show up), but we always need distributors! We're currently launching a new intake process that Ransim designed (it's really awesome) that hopefully will give us a better idea of how many folks we can plan on. It's going to help the planning and logistics a lot!

Yep! If you're registered on the forums keep an eye out for an email soon™. We may also post a link to the form for sign up here.

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    EDIT: I remembered some other PAX obligations I have and realized this would overload me. Sorry, I got a little overexcited... >_<

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • blackbirdblackbird Registered User regular
    I'm new to the entire community, but when I first heard about PAX it was because of the Cookie Brigade! I'd love to help out (baking and distributing!) since I'll be attending East this year and it's an excuse to bake without feeling guilty that there's a bazillion cookies in my house.

edited February 2012
    All - there are a few folks who have applied on the Cookie Brigade site, but can't be verified as being actual meat humans on this forum. Please PM me if you know any of the following forum handles:

ghostlikemike
    aryooki
    evan140
    freekama
    thorax
    cottoneud

If you are the proud owner of one of these handles, please PM me so that we can get your Brigade application moving.

Thanks!

LexiconGrrl on
  • chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    Does it have to be actual cookies? We'd have to bake on Wednesday and then travel on a Greyhound bus for 8 hours. Were thinking that maybe rice crispy squares would transport/last better and still be pretty tasty for those long lines!

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    You don't have to make cookies. We've had a bunch non-cookie baked goods: cake balls, cupcakes, rice crispies treats, brownies, hard candies, etc.

HI3789R.png
  • chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    @punzie: Thanks for the suggestions. Hard candies made me think of "Sucre a la creme", which is a Quebec variation on fudge. Will just be heading over to the cookie brigade site now...

chocojosh wrote:
    @punzie: Thanks for the suggestions. Hard candies made me think of "Sucre a la creme", which is a Quebec variation on fudge. Will just be heading over to the cookie brigade site now...

Non-cookie sweets have gone over well in the past. I know the rice crispie treats at East last year were very popular. I've made Space Invaders hard candy a few times:

4940094965_5f7c27a94b_z.jpg

We've also had popcorn with chocolate and I think cupcakes that I know of in the past.

ransim wrote:
    chocojosh wrote:

Non-cookie sweets have gone over well in the past. I know the rice crispie treats at East last year were very popular. I've made Space Invaders hard candy a few times:

4940094965_5f7c27a94b_z.jpg

We've also had popcorn with chocolate and I think cupcakes that I know of in the past.

OMG! I would so buy 10 of those things and nibble on their tentacles! Erm...

edited February 2012
    Bwahaha! @JobiWanKenobi came up with the following idea, which I just had to make and share here.

Behold the Glory that is the Fuck You Snickerdoodle:
    IMG_0834.JPG
    (they're Gluten Free!)

LexiconGrrl on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Gluten Free Snickerdoodles? Great addition.

• SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Bwahaha! @JobiWanKenobi came up with the following idea, which I just had to make and share here.

IMG_0834.JPG
    (they're Gluten Free!)

These cookies are Snickers approved! :D

<@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited February 2012

IMG_0834.JPG
    (they're Gluten Free!)

Mmmm... But wait, you're not bringing that exact batch to PAX are you? :P

LinkSmash on