As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

quit whining british isles, at least about netflix

FAQFAQ Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Social Entropy++
Netflix streaming is coming to the UK, which is great because that means Ireland gets to come along for the ride as we so often do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/netflix-to-provide-online-service-to-uk-ireland-next-year-giving-access-to-movies-tv-shows/2011/10/24/gIQAzdW6BM_story.html

I'm already with an irish service called screenclick which I am fairly happy with, it doesn't offer streaming and it's list of movies is well, it's pretty good, but could be a lot better. I'm not gonna make the switch but might do both until one of these guys offers what the other does too. Because man, I need those blu rays.

Here is a picture of a cup of tea + scone, perhaps you can enjoy these while watching thunderbirds on your laptop

1898226-scones-with-jam-and-cream-and-a-cup-of-tea.jpg

FAQ on

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Does this mean that when I'm told just to watch something on Netflix... I no longer have to say I'M IN ENGLAND GOD DAMN IT and hit people with a cricket bat?

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Now if only netflix would add subtitles to streaming. It is ridiculous they don't.

• Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    Does this mean that when I'm told just to watch something on Netflix... I no longer have to say I'M IN ENGLAND GOD DAMN IT and hit people with a cricket bat?

exactly ed, but it also means you will be required to complain about price changes

• Options
    Alright, I think I can adapt to that

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Now if only netflix would add subtitles to streaming. It is ridiculous they don't.

NETFLIX STREAMS MOVIES, NOT BOOKS

IF I WANTED TO READ I'D GO TO A LIBERRY

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TLB, you are excluding yourself to a whole world of badassery if you don't watch subtitled foreign movies, as unamerucan as that is. Stuff by park chan wook, tony jaa films, and those ridiculous French horror/gorefests would all be right up your alley

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Does Netflix have Bollywood films on it? I'm thinking of getting my parents a subscription but know they would only watch that and Cheers/Wings

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    lostwords wrote:
    TLB, you are excluding yourself to a whole world of badassery if you don't watch subtitled foreign movies, as unamerucan as that is. Stuff by park chan wook, tony jaa films, and those ridiculous French horror/gorefests would all be right up your alley

god damn I love me some Chan-wook Park

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Everyone knows most movies are totally more entertaining without subtitles

It is like making up your own, potentially way better movie!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I love subtitles on movies even on movies in English. Sometimes people are low talkers in movies and it helps me keep up!

• Options
    My hearing is pretty crap so I tend to subtitle games constantly, if not films

Also it goes without saying that I prefer subs to dubs, oh yeah I went there

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    yeah i always subtitle games, too.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote:

But in cases like this Netflix does provide subtitles

• Options
    Definitely subtitle games.

Sometimes movies, too...

• Options
    I thought the new world could have used some subtitles

or a sound mix that didn't let the background noises drown out the conversation

it may have been a problem with the tv I watched it on though, I can't be sure

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Englaaaaaaaaaand

I hate you, England
    I love you, England

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I wonder if they ever intend to bring 5.1 audio tracks to 360/pc. I think the PS3 gets them.

A lot of the time I feel like that center channel helps dialogue stay clear when people get all whispery.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    netflix has a bunch of bollywood movies, but the subtitles are kinda shitty

there are usually two lines, and the bottom part of the bottom line is cut off so you can't see the dangly bits of q, g, y or j

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    would you consider getting surround sound a worthwhile investment?

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    eh. I like it loud, with a lot of bass, so I tend to overspend on receivers, speakers and subs. It's a huge step up over the tiny built-in speakers, but you pretty much have to set a budget and not pay too much attention to the audiophiles.

You can do pretty well though for like 400-500, there's also a lot of good "home theater in a box" sets. I do feel like it adds a lot to both movies and games. But it can be a huge pain getting the wires run and everything.

Scudo on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote:

They've been quietly rolling it in when viewing on PC. AND there's an option for subtitles for some things on PS3. I really think it's just the xbox that's missing out on the subtitles party.

Of course, they don't have subs for everything, but it's not completely unsupported.

• Options
    oh great thanks obama/netflix, for not caring about your xbox crowd

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    England Thread.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    I think it has to do with the way the xbox plays video, but really I'm just pulling that out of thin air.

• Options
    So

Does this mean more British shows on Netflix? I hope so!

Will they keep the same catalogue for both the UK and USA? I'd like to think so, but surely they'd run into problems with programmes that haven't aired yet in the other country?

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Netflix already has Blackadder and Monty Python on streaming

What other shows are there

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I saw the Life of Brian again the other night and although I missed the dramedy thing attached to it I was reminded of the country's fine tradition of the clergy being humourless bastards

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    spono wrote:
    netflix has a bunch of bollywood movies, but the subtitles are kinda shitty

there are usually two lines, and the bottom part of the bottom line is cut off so you can't see the dangly bits of q, g, y or j

Fortunately my parents don't need the subtitles. Is there a listing somewhere? I want to see if the list is long enough for me to sign them up.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    lostwords wrote:

I usually go with pork lo mein

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Life of Brian is a legitimately good film

I've warmed up to Meaning of Life in the past few years

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    lostwords wrote:

I usually go with pork lo mein

http://sadtrombone.com/

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Netflix already has Blackadder and Monty Python on streaming

What other shows are there

Spaced.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    I love subtitles on movies even on movies in English. Sometimes people are low talkers in movies and it helps me keep up!

I too subtitles movies and tv constantly

netflix is really annoying how it wont

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Where was this when I had time to spend on the internet

Darn Netflix

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    @Edcrab

Prepare to be bombarded with movie/show suggestions.

• Options
    Actually I can't complain too much

Netflix has had Torchwood and Downton Abbey and Sherlock

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I don't think I'll sign up for this but hooray nevertheless.

• Options
    Yukira wrote:
    @Edcrab

Prepare to be bombarded with movie/show suggestions.

Don't do that! It would be like a strange form of torture if I don't get an account

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Ed, Liiya, that is disappointing.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    BBCiplayer is all I need.