As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bonfire Night - 5th Of November.

LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Social Entropy++
bonfire_party1.jpg
That's a good fire you've got going there lads...

Ahh bonfire night, you lovely tradition, you. When its cold and dark and miserable at the beginning of November we can all look forward to warming ourselves on a fire and setting off some great big fireworks at night!!

What Is Bonfire Night?

Bonfire night was first known as Guy Fawkes Night in England to commemorate the failing of blowing up parliament in 1605, known as the Gunpowder Plot. Just in case you don’t know about it, here is some quick wiki-stole information!
The Gunpowder Plot of 1605, in earlier centuries often called the Gunpowder Treason Plot or the Jesuit Treason, was a failed assassination attempt against King James I of England and VI of Scotland by a group of provincial English Catholics led by Robert Catesby. The plan was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of England's Parliament on 5 November 1605, as the prelude to a popular revolt in the Midlands during which James's nine-year-old daughter, Princess Elizabeth, was to be installed as the Catholic head of state.

The point is, they got caught and those who escaped alive were executed, and they as well as those who did not escape alive, had their bodies hung drawn and quartered.

How Did It Become A National Day Of Celebration?

Well people were rather glad about the king surviving and the local councils allowed people to light bonfires in celebration and this snowballed to the churches ringing bells, people sharing food and so on until we come to the modern-day version.

289288611_bd96a05acd.jpg

Bonfire Night These Days.

Most kids are taught the condensed version of the song,

“Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot.”

Which is cut down from a 1742 long-winded version of the song that people would sing as they collected firewood.

If we’re honest though the actual meaning behind bonfire night has gone, hence why it is no long Guy Fawkes Night. Burning an effigy has all but gone too, so has asking for a penny, its mainly about enjoying the bonfire and fireworks and some food together. It’s a good excuse to have a nice time with friends and family.

Some towns still do celebrate old-style, Lewes for example goes mental and carries great flaming things down the streets for everyone in the town to coo at. But most of us make-do with some fireworks at home or going to a town-ran celebration.

Lewes-Bonfire-Night-2010-11.jpg

So, lets talk about bonfire night.

sparklers.jpg
Remember - sparklers are hot! Dispose carefully!! You've all seen the horrific adverts on telly about losing an eye from a sparkler!

Liiya on

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    ah, Guy Fawkes

an icon for disenfranchised peoples across the world

the mask of a man who tried to blow up the government because it wasn't religious enough

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My favourite holiday!

Bonfires and fireworks and mulled wine, yes please

• Options
    all told though a holiday where you set big fires sounds pretty good

especially if you don't have to do it in the desert with a bunch of smelly hippies

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    ah, Guy Fawkes

the mask of a man who tried to blow up the government because it wasn't religious enough

We could learn a thing or two from him. Blowing up our own governments to replace them with a brutal theocracy.

Let's not do that.

Ever.

I mean it.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    ah, Guy Fawkes

We could learn a thing or two from him. Blowing up our own governments to replace them with a brutal theocracy.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I saw v for vendetta like, twice

i totally get your oppression and I'm down for getting krunked and setting shit on fire

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I say we move Independence Day forward so we can deal with this lobsterback holiday

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    guy-fawkes.jpg

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Ahh, Bonfire Night. Mud and baked potatoes and things exploding in the sky! And jostling for position to get a good view of it all

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    I thought to myself "Hmm, how many people will quote/post pics of V For Vendetta, they can't be that predictable!" but there we go.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    I thought to myself "Hmm, how many people will quote/post pics of V For Vendetta, they can't be that predictable!" but there we go.

Hey, I just posted a picture of shitheels who took their dumb inspiration from V for Vendetta! I'm at least one degree removed from predictable!

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    ah, Guy Fawkes

Let's not do that.

Ever.

I mean it.

Joke.

You.

Liiya wrote: »

Liiya, you should really know better by now. It's okay, I thought that movie was stupid.

• Options
    Liiya wrote:

FIGHT THE POWER

• Options
    why should I care about a British holiday, anyway

If I set a big fire on November 5th all I'm going to get is arrested

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    I don't mind if you're not a fan of it, Shoe.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:

And your prediction regarding anti-English holiday support from TLB?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Liiya wrote:

There there.

I think you all sapped out some of her gentle spirit. Goddamn monsters!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Shoe you seem more on a rampage then usual. Everything alright?

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    why should I care about a British holiday, anyway

If I set a big fire on November 5th all I'm going to get is arrested

This fire isn't in a pit, Citizen.

I don't see any of your monthly food allowances being cooked on it either.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

Nothing is ever alright, Melding, you know that.

But that was a rude thing to say and I apologize!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

And your prediction regarding anti-English holiday support from TLB?

The outlook is dreary! Hahaha

• Options
    DOWN WITH THE QUEEN

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Hmm, looks like fun. This would be something fun to see while on a trip to England.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I mean after V for Vendetta, all them internet nerds decided they loved the gunpowder plot and Guy Fawkes.

So bringing one up will probably bring out the others?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

Nothing is ever alright, Melding, you know that.

But that was a rude thing to say and I apologize!

If you ever want to talk i'm here for ya.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The best part of V for Vendetta was Natalie Portman dressed up as a prostitute for the creepy priest.

This deviant post brought you by HunterBrand Perversions Inc.

Hunter on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    The best part of V for Vendetta was John Hurt's performance.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    Ah yes, bonfire night. When every Wheely Bin in a 3 mile radius is stolen and burned.

• Options
    The worst part of V for Vendetta was everything

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I probably won't get to go to any fireworks displays as they'll all be finished before i leave work. Maybe I can convince a mate to have a bonfire. Or I can burn my pub down. REVOLUTION!

• Options
    I have never seen a wheelie bin on fire! Maybe I just wander around with my eyes closed though, I wouldn't be surprised to see one.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:

Hey here's an idea. How about grabbing a fist full of your pubes and yanking them?

• Options
    My parents used to have awesome bonfires.

You do need the garden space for them, though.

Also, anyone making a bonfire, be sure to check for hedgehogs before you light it!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

There there.

I think you all sapped out some of her gentle spirit. Goddamn monsters!
    after all her time on this forum I'm shocked there's any left

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    Meiz wrote:
    Janson wrote:

Hey here's an idea. How about grabbing a fist full of your pubes and yanking them?

what, seriously?

that movie was dog shit

• Options
    I would feel just awful if I found out the next day I'd burned a hedgehog alive.

• Options
    People threw fireworks at me once

Later it was reported in the news that someone was quite badly burned and I always did wonder... was that a firework thrower, or their victim

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png