As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: November's done, post in the new one

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Speaking of GTA V, there's a reason Rockstar announced it today:
    A friend of mine (a developer who will remain nameless) said that the Grand Theft Auto V announcement was oddly timed. I didn't understand what he meant at first until our readers and Twitter began mentioning that today's date coincides with the official start date of former Florida attorney Jack Thompson's disbarment date. On September 25, 2008, the Florida Supreme Court’s disbarment order for Thompson was signed. It went into effect 30 days later, on October 25, 2008.

http://gamepolitics.com/2011/10/25/gta-v-announcement-timed-thompson’s-three-year-disbarment-anniversary

So what's ole Jack been up to lately?

Some more theorizing from around the internet concerning GTA V, this one concerning where the recently revealed logo comes from:

indianv.jpg

Also, after close inspection of the new logo, I have discovered where GTA V will be located. Prepare to have your mind blown.

gtavhyrule.png

Goddamn it that made me lose my shit. Laughing-wise, I mean. :^:

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    We all hear about how Nintendo is doomed as a joke but damn, seems they're soon to be posting a hundred billion yen loss.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/nikkei-nintendo-post-¥100-billion-loss
    According to Japan's Nikkei, Nintendo is to reveal a pre-tax loss of ¥100 billion (£821 million) when it reports its half-yearly financial results tomorrow.

The newspaper claims that the loss - which will almost double the ¥55 billion (£451 million) loss predicted by Nintendo - will be largely due to exchange rates. The strength of the Yen against the Euro is expected to account for a loss of ¥40 billion (£328 million).

Should Nikkei's claim be true it would mean Nintendo has sustained a loss of ¥74.5 billion (£611 million) in the last three months alone. Its financial results for the first quarter of its financial year, released in July, showed a loss of just ¥25.5 billion.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    We all hear about how Nintendo is doomed as a joke but damn, seems they're soon to be posting a hundred billion yen loss.

According to Japan's Nikkei, Nintendo is to reveal a pre-tax loss of ¥100 billion (£821 million) when it reports its half-yearly financial results tomorrow.

The newspaper claims that the loss - which will almost double the ¥55 billion (£451 million) loss predicted by Nintendo - will be largely due to exchange rates. The strength of the Yen against the Euro is expected to account for a loss of ¥40 billion (£328 million).

Should Nikkei's claim be true it would mean Nintendo has sustained a loss of ¥74.5 billion (£611 million) in the last three months alone. Its financial results for the first quarter of its financial year, released in July, showed a loss of just ¥25.5 billion.

As soon as exchange rates get involved in this sorta thing my brain packs up and leaves.

Comparatively, isn't Sony Japanese-based? What's their income look like? Just to measure out the doom-and-gloom a little bit better in the industry.

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Nintendo is going to take a huge hit this holiday season as well because they're selling at a loss. I'm pretty confident they'll make it back in the middle term though.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Has Nintendo ever not gotten screwed by exchange rates?

Also, I missed the damn GTA announcement.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Although having said that, gonna read Totilo's article about GTA V. Honestly, I'm wondering if the industry has moved on since then, and whether the series is as much of a juggernaut as it still was. I'm not saying it won't sell well and that if one platform didn't have it, they would be missing out (they absolutely would). But, I don't know, the fact that we got one thread about it on here some time after it came out, that's had only 33 replies? I know all we have is a logo and a trailer next week, but that kind of thing would've been enough to melt the forums down with about 5 threads all being made at the same time by excited people.

Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this.

I wouldn't really worry much about it. One thing Rockstar has shown is that they make changes and improvements to previous editions. (How much people like them is, of course, relative. But the point is that Rockstar doesn't just toss the game off and expect it to be good enough. They tweak it for sure.) The III-engine games were a slow development, but the DLC for IV certainly showed that they could make adjustments to criticism.

The reality is, though, that the industry has moved on a bit from when GTA was the proven leader. Maybe because it went multi-platform. Maybe because console gamers have moved more steadily to FPS games. And maybe because people are still smarting from the hype backlash IV nearly deserved. (Good game, but not 10/10.)

As others have mentioned, the gameplay vs story segregation was to blunt, most of the characters were difficult to relate to, the middle section of the game dragged, Alderney was poorly implemented, and many new mechanics were panned rightly or wrongly.

It'll do fine. Probably selling as well as IV did. But like everything else, there just so much gaming to think about. I still think the forum changes are affecting many threads (I know Arkham City just released, but I make no effort to find the [likely easy to find] thread about it. But there are multiple things involved in my case.). However, I expect after the trailer drops, the V thread will pick up steam and as it gets closer to release, the dedicated ones will keep it going pretty well.

Also, haters gonna hate. I'm looking forward to it like nearly everything else Rockstar does. But I just don't feel like engaging anybody about it. It'll come out, I hope to buy it, I hope to enjoy it.

I had a weird path to GTA IV. I was completely against the series in the buildup to its release. I'd played every one in some form or other (including the forgotten top-down originals) and couldn't get on with them from a gameplay perspective, died too easily on missions and hated being set back miles, didn't enjoy the driving, felt easily lost and overwhelmed by the environments, and was irritated by the way they handled the whole Hot Coffee thing. Then a few weeks before GTA IV, I somehow got caught up in the hype after watching the forums chew through thread after thread whenever each new fragment of information was released. I don't know at what point I switched, but I went from "ugh, won't it just die" to "this looks like the game I've wanted the series to be!" and needed to own it.
    Basically next wednesday, I expect to be anxiously waiting for the video to appear.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    The craziness made sense in San Andreas thanks to everything being insane. I could drop out of an airplane or use a fucking jet pack to bust into a military installation, steal a tank, and drive out while laughing like a maniac.

• Options
    -Tal wrote:
    if your game is going to have shooting and driving those shooting and driving mechanics need to be as tight as any AAA third-person shooter or racing game, GTA V absolutely needs to nail this. I am tired of sandbox games thinking they can get away with loose mechanics

I agree on the shooting, but I personally feel that GTAIV has the best driving out there currently

And it would be absolutely unfair to compare the physics of it to a racing game, since you will never ever get to those racing game speeds in a GTA game. There's so much random shit to account for.

I seriously can't fathom how we manage to agree on this point. Seriously bro, right here, this is where we intersect (nohomo). The driving in GTA IV was fantastic.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Personally I couldn't believe how big a step IV took backward from everything awesome that Vice City and San Andreas built up.

Lots of buyable safehouses and other properties? Garages that hold anything you can fit inside them? A decent number of actually explorable buildings? Building up your stats through exercise? All greatly diminished.

That doesn't mean I dislike the game, I just feel like they trimmed too much.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Has Nintendo ever not gotten screwed by exchange rates?

Also, I missed the damn GTA announcement.

Sure, all the way to 1992 Nintendo benefited greatly from exchange rates, and until 2010 wasn't really disadvantaged by them for an extended period of time. If trends hold, we're going to see the return of the weak yen eventually.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Nintendo is going to take a huge hit this holiday season as well because they're selling at a loss. I'm pretty confident they'll make it back in the middle term though.

If their trend of product longevity holds, yeah, they'll bounce back.

But investors aren't interested in the long term. (Edit - I know they are in the sense of stock holding up, but they want money NAO)

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It is a Keynesian beauty contest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynesian_beauty_contest
    In another variation of reasoning towards the beauty contest, the players may begin to judge contestants based on the most distinguishable unique property found scarcely clustered in the group. As an analogy, imagine the beauty contest where the player is instructed to choose the most beautiful six faces out of a set of hundred faces. Under special circumstances, the player may ignore all judgment-based instructions in a search for the six most unique faces (interchanging concepts of high demand and low supply). Ironic to the situation, if the player finds it much easier to find a consensus solution for judging the six ugliest contestants, he may apply this property instead of beauty to in choosing six faces. In this line of reasoning, the player is looking for other players overlooking the instructions (which can often be based on random selection) to a transformed set of instructions only elite players would solicit, giving them an advantage. As an example, imagine a contest where contestants are asked to pick the two best numbers in the list: {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 2345, 6435, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13}. All judgment based instructions can likely be ignored since by consensus two of the numbers do not belong in the set.
    The stock market makes a lot more sense once you realize they are all operating on some insane meta level.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Cade wrote:

As soon as exchange rates get involved in this sorta thing my brain packs up and leaves.

Comparatively, isn't Sony Japanese-based? What's their income look like? Just to measure out the doom-and-gloom a little bit better in the industry.

Now, my own dum-dum analysis back in the last thread was "'Tendo floats it for now while Sonay's fucked", but then this happened:
    Zephiran wrote:
    As far as I can tell, Nintendo stocks are doing fairly well, following the Nikkei index.

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=7974.T

Keep in mind that I have no idea whether or not I snagged the right charts for Sony, since I'm really unfamiliar with their corporate structure I could very well be tracking the wrong part of the company, but for those who nevertheless are curious here's a chart of their stock anyway.

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=6758.T

Now what does that look like?

Can't stop here this is DOOM country!

Over on the Nikkei, Sony Corp's trading volume (7,254,720) is much higher than Nintendo's (532,470) so the per share price is much much lower. Even on our side of the pond, where accounting is a bit different and share price is relatively the same, Sony's volume and market cap far outstrips Nintendo. Of course the benefit of being Sony is it growth and declines are relatively slow overall.

Sony Growth:
    1 Year 3 Years 5 Years
    Sales % -0.45 -6.80 -0.89

Nintendo Growth:
    1 Year 3 Years 5 Years
    Sales % -29.28 -15.35 14.78

Sony Corp to Nintendo isn't an apt comparision just because of the sheer size of Sony Corp.

A better comparison is to look at the earnings. For the first fiscal quarter ending on June 30, 2011:

Sony's Game Division (see page F-6):
    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/11q1_sony.pdf
    Sales: ¥125,253,000,000
    Previous year: ¥142,102,000,000
    Percent change: -11.9%

Nintendo:
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728e.pdf
    Sales: ¥93,928,000,000
    Previous year: ¥188,646,000,000
    Percent change: -50.2%

The problem is Nintendo has been riding high due to the combined success of the Wii and DS. So now shareholders expect them to match that success. The 3DS has faltered, and the Wii U still a ways out. Hence the calls of DOOM from the business sector and why Nintendo has moved so quickly to correct mistakes with the 3DS.

*necroquote*

So yeah, I think that's a pretty accurate and deep analysis, and I agree with it completely.

Though I think it should still be pointed out that a far as I understand, the "loss" that is being reported here is essentially the same as "unrealized profit" and not actually something that would make the company run into the red. I could be wrong, however.

Also, going back to the ashes of the most recent VGIT Phoenix I noticed this was never explained:

cloudeagle wrote:

...what's a hockey stick curve?

Originally it was the name given to a global temperature reconstruction chart, often used in a derogatory manner by climate change contrarians.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ed/Hockey_stick_chart_ipcc_large.jpg/350px-Hockey_stick_chart_ipcc_large.jpg

The "Hockey Stick Curve" gets the name from the fact that for the first millennia-and-a-half, the curve is essentially flat, but then starting at the turn of the 19th century the curve suddenly shoots upwards. This gives the curve the essential characteristics of a hockey stick.

*couldn't let that piece of trivia go*

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Building up your stats through exercise?

That shit can die in a fire, all that needing to eat/exercise "The Sims" BS was annoying in San Andreas. Even more so than "Caaaaazin! Lets go bowling!" or "Nikomybruddahyouwangetsomefood?" every ten seconds.

Then again, I didn't care much for San Andreas that much anyway.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Building up your stats through exercise?

That shit can die in a fire, all that needing to eat/exercise "The Sims" BS was annoying in San Andreas.

That was my favorite part!

• Options
    Zephiran wrote:
    Though I think it should still be pointed out that a far as I understand, the "loss" that is being reported here is essentially the same as "unrealized profit" and not actually something that would make the company run into the red. I could be wrong, however.

Well see, that's the thing. There's three interpretations to what "loss" means in finance reporting. It could be falling short of projected earnings, it could be operating at a loss of money for a year (or quater) but NOT the actual monetary situation in the company, and then it could be "in the red this much." But that last one would result in bankruptcy filing I guess. So it's only really two.

• Options
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/grand-theft-auto-v-the-chilling-truth/086985
    ]“The basement. Twenty one hundred. Come alone.”

It was with those cold, steely words ringing in my ears from a mystery telephone conversation earlier that day that last night I made my way down to the Intent Media basement to meet with a highly secretive Rockstar contact.

As I closed the basement door behind I was left in complete darkness. All that alerted me to the presence of another was the sound of strained breathing, the inhalation of a cigarette, the coughing of tight lungs.

My initial questions (“Seriously, how the feck did you get in the basement? And why the feck are we meeting in the basement anyway? There’s a new Costa Coffee just around the corner?”) were met with silence.

As my eyes adjusted to the dark I could see a shadowy figure staring me down from the far side of the filing cabinet. The figure had something on their head – a mask of sorts, fashioned from a paper bag. A paper bag from Costa. He knew about the new Costa, but chose to liaise in the basement anyway. My suspicion peaked.

He wore a white, buttoned shirt, worn jeans, old and well-worn brown leather shoes and a name badge that simply said “Sam – Happy to Help”.

He beckoned my to a makeshift shelter he had fashioned out of toner cartridge boxes and sheet bubble wrap in front of the MCV archive. We sat and he began frantically sketching pictures of cities and vehicles on a limestone slate with a red stick of chalk.

The chalk snapped. He grunted – I wouldn’t call it a scream – ate the chalk, and produced a fresh, unused blue stick from his shirt breast pocket.

“A new audience,” he muttered, though at first I was unsure whether he was addressing me directly or was absentmindedly talking to himself.

“New devices, new gamers,” he said more loudly, his crazed and blood shot red eye focused squarely on me now through a hole in the bag. “It’s not about the disc, it’s not about the platform. It’s about service, IT’S ABOUT ACCESSIBILITY.”

Seemingly agitated, I took a moment to compose myself before addressing Sam.

“It’s OK,” I said calmly. “It’s OK, I won’t hurt you. I’m a friend. My name is Ben. Please Sam, tell me. Tell me why you beckoned me here on this cold and dark autumn night?”

“I don’t understand,” he said, again almost as if to himself as he began to sketch what appeared to be an Xbox 360 joypad on the rear of the limestone. “They used joypads for years. They were fine. Our controller layout for GTA IV was spot on, responsive. Easy. WE SIMULATED A WHOLE WORLD USING TEN BUTTONS, TWO STICKS AND A D-PAD. Do none of them care? Does that count for nothing?”

Sam was now rocking on the spot, fingering his beard that peeked from the bottom of the bag. I leant closer and placed a hand on his knee.

“What do you mean, Sam? What is it you want to tell me about joypads.”

“TO HELL WITH JOYPADS,” came his screamed reply, his withered and filthy hands grabbing me by either side of the face. “We don’t NEED joypads. 3DS, iOS, Kinect, Move. Exclusive for those Grand Theft Auto V will be.”

I held his stare until his grip on my face eased. Realising now what was happening, that Rockstar had chosen me and the Intent Media basement to reveal all about Grand Theft Auto V. I reached for my notepad and, without any sudden movements, began to write as quickly as I could.

“Kinect and Move will keep us in touch with our core audience, yes,” Sam continued as he started to pull roughly at his beard. “But the iOS version, yes, that’s what will bring us the mass-market. Twenty two million sales for GTA IV? That’s nothing. NOTHING. The world is ready to welcome the seven billionth member of this miserable little race, and they expect ME to be happy with twenty two million?”

At this point Sam begun to sob, assuming the foetal position.

“But mass markets? How does that tie in with a 3DS version?” I asked before I had chance to think about whether I should be provoking him or not.

“BAH!” Sam screamed before jumping to his feet, pacing back and forth across the basement.

“Reggie…” he mumbled. “Reggie. Said he’d ‘ave me if I didn’t. I had to. Didn’t want to, you understand. Got a two-man team on it. Just gonna re-size the assets of the iOS version.” A small smile and cackle emerged from his dry, cracked lips. I leapt on the chance to probe further.

“But Sam, this isn’t 2008,” I said slowly. “This is 2011. People want Call of Duty. They want CityVille. They want to play against friends on Facebook. Shouldn’t you just concentrate on your core audience?”

Sam froze where he stood. Then, with the speed of rabid cheetah, he leapt for me, grabbing my by the collar and thrusting me into the air. “FOOL!” he howled, before tossing me into the pile of old Apple keyboards and non-functioning mice.

“I’m the man who made Grand Theft Auto. GRAND THEFT AUTO!” he shouted, crouched over me as I whimpered amongst the peripherals.

“Those witless fools live to serve MY whimsy. To serve MY design. There will be DLC, you see,” he added, stooping low to meet my eye. It felt as if he was almost seeking my approval.

“Order from GAME and GTA V will be set in New York, order from Amazon and it’s LA, from HMV it’ll be Detroit, from Zavvi it will be Skegness. You see? DO YOU SEE? They will be FRENZIED. The children. The CONSUMERS. They will kill to get my game. MY GAME. You’ve seen your London youth, how they loot and riot when they want things. THEY WILL WANT MY THINGS.

“And even when the mindless idiots have MY game, they’ll still want more. We’ll release the other cities, see. Premium DLC. PREMIUM. 1200 Microsoft points for Black Ops map pack? 2400 Microsoft points for a Forza 4 Season Pass? FORZA CAN SUCK MY DICK. We’re talking premium. PREMIUM. 3600 Points! Yes, THREE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED. For the season pass. And you’ll get all the cities. All of them!

“And better yet,” he continued, slowly pulling away from me starting to perform a kind of prance. “Get the Season pass and you’ll get the content before anyone else. ALL THE CONTENT. FIRST. Those other fuckers will have to wait hours, maybe even days to get their hands on it.”

Then, with no warning, he hurled himself at me once more, grabbing both my hands and forcing me to my feet, dragging me into his crazed dance.

“AND IF THEY DON’T PRE-ORDER THE GAME THEY WON’T GET ANY CARS, SEE! NONE AT ALL. LICENSED OR OTHRWISE” he laughed to himself, twirling me in ever accelerating circles.

“AND THE BEST THING IS THEY CAN’T COMPLAIN. You can get about on foot, y’see! On foot. We’ve given the character better stamina this time, see? And you ccan make him more fit by making him go to the gym.

“‘We’re not punishing those who don’t buy the game, they can still traverse the world, but to reward those loyalist to the GTA brand they will be given access to vehicles’ is what I’ll say. HA HA! And there’s nothing they can do. NOTHING!”

Then, as suddenly as his frenzy had begun, it stopped.

Sam let go of my hands. He drew his paper bag back tight over his head and held himself as if suddenly gripped by cold. Without word, he simply gestured towards the door.

I was unsure what to do, with so many more questions to ask. But the bony, blood-stained finger that pointed to my exit was warning enough. Slowly, I put the lid back on my medium BIC and carefully back-stepped toward the door.

As my hand reached for the handle, the silence was suddenly broken.

“November 2nd,” the motionless figure called. “It begins. November 2nd.” And with that he vanished into a puff of smoke. Leaving me alone in the basement, with nothing to show for it aside from this chilling story.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/grand-theft-auto-v-the-chilling-truth/086985
    ]“The basement. Twenty one hundred. Come alone.”

It was with those cold, steely words ringing in my ears from a mystery telephone conversation earlier that day that last night I made my way down to the Intent Media basement to meet with a highly secretive Rockstar contact.

“November 2nd,” the motionless figure called. “It begins. November 2nd.” And with that he vanished into a puff of smoke. Leaving me alone in the basement, with nothing to show for it aside from this chilling story.

I don't understand. Did someone write a GTA5 reveal fanfic?

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Since we're talking about GTA, I just want to say that Chinatown Wars on the PSP is the best GTA game. Hands down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I bought San Andreas on launch day, played for about 20 minutes, then missed Vice City so much I put it back in, and never returned to San Andreas.

Maybe I should fix that now...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Re, Nintendo:

Andriasang has a different thought:
    Nikkei reports today that Nintendo could be posting a 100 billion yen pretax loss for the April to September period. The company had previously forecast a 55 billion yen pretax loss.

The reason for the increase, according to Nikkei, is that the rising yen versus the Euro will cause a 40 billion yen foreign currency exchange loss.

For the same period last year, Nintendo posted a 4.15 billion yen pretax loss.

It's unclear how much of Nikkei's report is just the paper's analysts doing math. Nintendo is scheduled to make its midterm earnings announcement tomorrow (10/27), so we should find out soon enough.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    GTA 4 lacked James Woods calling me up to talk about Horse Cock Harry, and my idiot brother telling my multimillion dollar business owner character I forgot about the ghetto.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:

$1.3 billion. Ouch. That's why they've been rushing to get this holiday in order.
    mxmarks wrote:
    I bought San Andreas on launch day, played for about 20 minutes, then missed Vice City so much I put it back in, and never returned to San Andreas.

Maybe I should fix that now...

HEATHEN! PURGE THE UNCLEAN!
    inquisitori.jpg

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    I hate this thread for reminding me of the Meatloaf Batman musical.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:

There's a Meatloaf Batman musical????

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Couscous wrote:

I bet its Epic

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Couscous wrote:

http://mljs.evilnickname.org/jimsteinman/musicals/batmandemos.html
    Thankfully never done outside of the songs.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Okay, I had to go look that up. There is not, in fact, a Meat Loaf Batman musical. Instead, the guy that wrote the songs for Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" album worked on a Batman musical in the late 90s, early 2000s. Meat Loaf was never associated with the project, though, according to this faq.

In other news, though, "Bat Out of Hell" itself is being turned into a musical, a la Green Day, Abba, etc. So there was a Batman musical, and there will be a Meat Loaf musical, but these were not the same thing (though they share a composer).

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Darian wrote:
    Okay, I had to go look that up. There is not, in fact, a Meat Loaf Batman musical. Instead, the guy that wrote the songs for Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" album worked on a Batman musical in the late 90s, early 2000s. Meat Loaf was never associated with the project, though, according to this faq.

In other news, though, "Bat Out of Hell" itself is being turned into a musical, a la Green Day, Abba, etc. So there was a Batman musical, and there will be a Meat Loaf musical, but these were not the same thing (though they share a composer).

Which should be awesome, as "Bat Out of Hell" is one of my favorite albums still.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    So Battlefield 3 has apparently been rushed, there is the whole texture pack thing, crappy single player, and now this.

No Battlefield 1943 in PS3 Battlefield 3
    During Sony's E3 press conference, it was revealed that the PS3 version of Battlefield 3, thanks to Blu-ray's massive storage capacity, would include the downloadable title Battlefield 1943, asbolutely free.

Battlefield 3's release came and went, leaving fans scratching their heads, trying to find out how to access their promised pack-in. Confused and disappointed, PS3 Battlefield 3 owners took to Twitter to ask EA for some clarity. EA responded:

In lieu of 1943 being available on disk for PS3 customers, EA has made all BF3 expansions available early to PS3 customers.

Gee... Thanks, EA! How about you tell us before we buy your game next time that we're getting the shaft?

Snake! Snake?! Snaaaaaaaaaake!

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Delayed into 2012

MGS-Codec-Not-Cool-Snake.jpg
    I received an urgent Codec call this morning from Colonel Ray Campbell that really shook up my nanomachines. Solid Snake was unable to infiltrate Konami's distribution centers, and thus, couldn't get the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection to retail for this holiday season... That or they didn't want to compete with Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, Assassins' Creed: Revelations, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, and so many more major releases, and decided to go for a less-croweded February 3rd, 2012 release date.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Crappy single player in BF3 really isn't shocking.

Crappy single player in Bad Company 3 would be shocking... and sad :(

Also, I hope they make Bad Company 3.

• Options
    Yeah I want a bad company 3 if only for more Marlowe. That was the player character in Bad company right?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, Marlowe was the PC. I love the squad banter in the games.

Especially when Sweetwater says something smart and Sarge just says "...Shut up, Sweetwater"

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Crappy single player in BF3 really isn't shocking.

Crappy single player in Bad Company 3 would be shocking... and sad :(

Also, I hope they make Bad Company 3.

I don't get this crappy single player in BF3 shit. I put in an hour into the campaign last night and for me it beat the pants off Modern Warfare 1 and 2. I mean it doesn't change the game up or do anything new, but saying that it is lacking compared to it's direct competition feels very disingenuous to me. I think the expectation that it would somehow be like the multiplayer instead of a linear string of set pieces is just making everyone jaded.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Yeah, Marlowe was the PC. I love the squad banter in the games.

Especially when Sweetwater says something smart and Sarge just says "...Shut up, Sweetwater"

The spanish conversation in 2 was hilarious.

And I don't think people are comparing BF3's single player to MW which also has an awful single player component they are comparing it to other games with a good one like Gears of War 3, which is also a multiplayer title.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Why does the texture pack thing mean BF3 is rushed? Because it really doesn't.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Sure is a botched launch, though. Like, I'd say worse than Rage, not as bad as Dead Island.

And I'd still own the game, were it just on Steam.

• Options
    Botched launch? They had an outage on the 360 servers last night for a bit, and a few people with what looks like the usual "my specific setup of hardware and drivers is causing bugs", or "something screwy happened with the server" things that you will always get with a whole stack (couple of million) people buy a game and start playing it. I'd hardly call that a disaster, man.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You're tilting at windmills, darleysam.

• Options
    Sure is a botched launch, though. Like, I'd say worse than Rage, not as bad as Dead Island.

And I'd still own the game, were it just on Steam.

I don't know how you'd rate rages launch better than dead islands. I mean people were able to play dead island within a day, where as people still can't play rage on their pcs.

pleasepaypreacher.net