As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Little Pony: [Phalla] Is Magic: Monster Victory

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I can't believe the first guy I befriended was the village seer. Would've been a real lucky break except for the whole roleblock and him revealing himself thing.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Bedlam wrote:
    caulkbite wrote:
    So, Shiny New Toys is claiming to be Carrot Top. had to ask his ability, though.
    Is that a real pony? That sounds fake.

I havent seen any of season two yet though.
    Knew SNT sounded suspicious as hell too.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Good grief. 7 mafia? Did the village have anyone besides a seer with a power or ability?

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    oh okay, I guess now I can say the vig is killing me.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Oh well at least I did one thing right when I guarded Caulk.

You are...

210px-Applejack_bucking_apples_S1E12.png

Applejack! You're the hardworking, loyal and tenacious pony of Ponyville. In fact, you pretty much run your Apple family's farm - Apple Orchard Acres - all by yourself! Your tenacity and loyalty goes so far that you would stand in the way of any danger to save your friends or anypony else.

Ability: Once per night, you may choose another player. You will guard that player from any attacks they may incur that night, without taking damage yourself.

Win Condition: You win when all threats to Ponyville have been eliminated.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I'm just glad I didn't fully trust SNT.

Probably could have done things differently, like not reveal so early. But what the hey. I had fun.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Mafia Proboards

Just so you know, we started with two kills a night.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Role PMs:

1-6:
    1) Twilight Sparkle: messenger w/ Spike

You are...

210px-Twilight_Sparkle_after_drying_herself_S1E03.png

Twilight Sparkle! You're Princess Celestia's favourite student, a natural talent at magic, and the quickly growing social heart of Ponyville. Unfortunately, the magic dead zone on top of Ponyville is preventing you from directly helping out with the crisis at hand, but you can bring your friends together and get the job done!

Ability: Once per night, you can use your pet dragon Spike to send a message to another player through myself as host. That player will not be told who you are, but will be told the message came from Twilight Sparkle.

2) Rarity: roleblocker

You are...

210px-Rarity_opening_theme.png

Rarity! You're the fashionista of Ponyville, a dramatic but loyal and caring pony. Despite the magic dead zone over Ponyville, you have more talents to help out than the minor magics you know as a unicorn. Specifically, you are very good at whining and getting your way when others would get in your way.

Ability: Once per night, you may choose another player. That player is roleblocked (any actions they take that night do not happen.)

3) Pinkie Pie: action seer

You are...

210px-Pinkie_Pie_opening_theme.png

Pinkie Pie! You're the fun-loving heart of the party in Ponyville. Your life's work is to bring laughter, light, and friendship to everyone's lives. Oddly enough, this includes an aptitude for comedic stealth: hiding in a box while you sneak up behind someone or by wearing a fake moustache and giant glasses as a disguise.

Ability: Once per night, you may choose another player. You will learn any actions that player took, and the targets of those actions, but not the result.

4) Applejack: guard

You are...

210px-Applejack_bucking_apples_S1E12.png

Applejack! You're the hardworking, loyal and tenacious pony of Ponyville. In fact, you pretty much run your Apple family's farm - Apple Orchard Acres - all by yourself! Your tenacity and loyalty goes so far that you would stand in the way of any danger to save your friends or anypony else.

Ability: Once per night, you may choose another player. You will guard that player from any attacks they may incur that night, without taking damage yourself.

5) Fluttershy: seer

You are...

210px-Fluttershy_crushing_apple_S1E10.png

Fluttershy! You're so shy, you've sometimes scared yourself with your own voice! However, you're also a very caring pony, who makes sure that all of Ponyville's local wildlife is safe, happy, and healthy. Shyness isn't all bad - in your case, it stems from an intense sensitivty towards others' motivations and moods.

Ability: Once per night, you may choose another player. You will discover the name of that person's role.

6) Rainbow Dash: vig

You are...

210px-Rainbow_Dash_opening_theme.png

Rainbow Dash! You're the flying, soaring, speeding wonder in Ponyville's skies. While you're actually responsible for keeping the weather cooperating, you have big ambitions for a place on Equestria's flying team, the Wonderbolts. Still, you love your friends more than anything else, and you'd fight to the last to defend any of them.

Ability: Once per night, you may choose another player. You will knock that person out for the rest of the game.

Mafia PM (7-13):
    You are...

the Mafia! Specifically, you are a bunch of terrible monsters from the Everfree Forest wreaking havoc in a Ponyville helpless to defend against you due to the magic dead zone. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Win Condition: To outlast and outnumber the ponies of Ponyville (the village.)

Abilities: Each night, choose four members of the mafia to use each of the following abilities. Each ability may only be used once each night, and each member may only use a single ability each night.

Knockout: You may choose another player. You will knock that person out for the rest of the game.

[iKnockout:[/i] You may choose another player. You will knock that person out for the rest of the game.

Distract: You may choose another player. That player is roleblocked (any actions they take that night do not happen.)

Encircle: You may choose another player. You will guard that player from any attacks they may incur that night, without taking damage yourself.

The monsters you are are: A dragon (Tmoiy), a manticore (Spoit), a hydra (Shiny New Toys), an Ursa Minor (SlyM), some Parasprites (kuhlmeye), a Diamond Dog (Lucedes), and a cockatrice (Capfalcon).

You have seven cover roles. These ponies do not otherwise exist in the game: Carrot Top, Bon-Bon, Daisy, Derpy Hooves, Granny Smith, Davenport, and Apple Bloom.

108px-Carrot_Top_color_corrected_id.png108px-Bon_Bon_id.png150px-Daisy.png108px-Derpy_id.png160px-Granny_Mug_2.jpgDavenport.jpg160px-AppleBloomSquare.png

And the rest (14-20):
    7) Scootaloo

You are...

160px-Scootaloo.png

Scootaloo! You're one of the three Cutie Mark Crusaders, adorable little ponies who haven't grown up and found their passions yet. That's okay, but it means you don't have much to contribute right now.

Ability: You don't have a special ability. But you can vote!

12) Cherilee

You are...

Cheerilee_Mug.png

Cherilee! You're the teacher responsible for the young ponies of Ponyville. Between your calm and happy classroom and the always-enjoyable class trips, you bring up the ponies of tomorrow really quite well. Unfortunately, teaching doesn't help much when a monster is about to eat you.

20) Zecora

You are...

108px-Zecora_Mug_2.JPG

Zecora! You're the strange zebra everypony in Ponyville thought was a spooky monster. Luckily with time and patience and assistance from the young pony Apple Bloom, they learned to trust you. Unfortunately, the dead magic zone over Ponyville has spread to your hut in the Everfree Forest, and you can't do much to help out the ponies of Ponyville directly!

17) DJ Pon-3

You are...

108px-Scratch_Thumb.JPG

DJ Pon-3! You're the hipping, hopping, non-stopping disk jockey for all events in Ponyville. While you can lay down a good soundtrack and some monster beats, your music isn't going to help with the monsters at hand...

8) Sweetie Bell

You are...

160px-Sweetie_Belle.png

Sweetie Belle! You're one of the three Cutie Mark Crusaders, adorable little ponies who haven't grown up and found their passions yet. That's okay, but it means you don't have much to contribute right now.

16) Lyra

You are...

108px-Lyra_id.png

Lyra! You're an excitable, friendly pony. So friendly in fact, that you're best friends with Bon-Bon, another pony. Unfortunately, you don't have any real skills to contribute to the effort against the monsters.

10) Big Mac

You are...

160px-Big_Mac_Mug_2.jpg

Big McIntosh! You're Applejack's big brother, a tall, stocky pony who can pull a load for ages and push down hundreds of trees of apples! Unfortunately, you exerted yourself a bit too hard awhile back and now you're unable to push around these monsters from the Everfree Forest.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Capfalcon wrote:
    Mafia Proboards

Yep. Twilight's sudden magic was basically my shim to make up for stuff. Hence it kicking in to give the village a second life.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Arivia wrote:
    Capfalcon wrote:
    Mafia Proboards

Yep. Twilight's sudden magic was basically my shim to make up for stuff. Hence it kicking in to give the village a second life.

So did our last kill get blocked "just cause?"

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    From my correspondence with bedlam:

"Matev is Rainbow Dash.
    I've been his targeting system since day two. as in, since we have little actual networking, I like to think of it as Pinkie having nuclear launch codes and just throwing random numbers into the targeting computer"

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Capfalcon wrote:
    Arivia wrote:
    Capfalcon wrote:
    Mafia Proboards

So did our last kill get blocked "just cause?"

Just to give the village one more chance at the proverbial apple, yep.

And for all of you wondering: Silas Brown is my boyfriend. That's why he appeared from nowhere :P

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote:
    Oh well at least I did one thing right when I guarded Caulk.
    We never attacked caulk

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    ITT: Arivia is the anti-Farangu. :P

Jokes aside, I'm just disappointed that the vig had such bad aim. If they'd hit even one mafia it might've made a difference, but as it was...

• Options
    And by request here's the spreadsheet in the best version you're going to get without iWork: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16238662/mlp.pdf

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I dont get it then. You got two kills but only one person died each night? And then one night no one died from mafia?

• Options

Anti-Farangu?

@Bedlam: Basically I was waiving kills to give the village the briefest of a fighting chance.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    In retrospect, probably should have picked up on the whole "matev confirmed himself to the network" + "caulk admitting that the role block worked" + "there's no way in hell there are 2 reverse seers"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bedlam wrote:
    I dont get it then. You got two kills but only one person died each night? And then one night no one died from mafia?

Well, the first night magic happened that got rid of our extra kill. Then, the night where there was no kills, magic happened that kept us from killing anyone.

• Options

Jokes aside, I'm just disappointed that the vig had such bad aim. If they'd hit even one mafia it might've made a difference, but as it was...

We already had an anti farangu, but I can't remember who it was at the moment

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote:
    In retrospect, probably should have picked up on the whole "matev confirmed himself to the network" + "caulk admitting that the role block worked" + "there's no way in hell there are 2 reverse seers"
    Yeah I figured there was no way to answer your question without making it completely obvious who Matev was.

• Options
    Arivia wrote:

Anti-Farangu?
    Here you go.

• Options
    Big thing I'm a little disappointed in is that the Host deliberately misled us on a kind of major point.
    There's no generic villager (too many fun characters for that)

That and the 7 mafia thing.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Flarne wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Yeah I figured there was no way to answer your question without making it completely obvious who Matev was.

Which question?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Flarne wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Which question?

Oh, nevermind. That was Tmoiy asking how Matev had been confirmed. But yeah.

• Options
    Big thing I'm a little disappointed in is that the Host deliberately misled us on a kind of major point.

That and the 7 mafia thing.

7 mafia might actually have been balanced against 13 specials, even if some of them were minor specials like vote manip or something

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    There's nothing misleading about that. It means exactly what it says: there is no generic villager. Doesn't mean there can't be villagers with different names and fluff.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    There's nothing misleading about that. It means exactly what it says: there is no generic villager. Doesn't mean there can't be villagers with different names and fluff.
    Yeah, I clarified that in private with rivs since asking that in public would be a clear give away that I was mafia

steam_sig.png
  • Options

By that I meant there's no generic villager role, aka "pony of ponyville;" there were characters with no abilities and I would have answered that question clearly (and did to Spoit on the mafia boards.)

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Heh I was 95% sure spoit was mafia when I got day 1'd.

How did you end up with 7 mafia? Thought up the roles for them first and forgot to adjust mafia to a 20% baseline?

• Options

How did you end up with 7 mafia? Thought up the roles for them first and forgot to adjust mafia to a 20% baseline?

Yep. I always forget what the number should be; that and all of my other games have had very powerful villages, so overshooting it was fine. I totally forgot to do the math and sim it, all my fault.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Okay, this is only my second phalla, but to my mind, you just described a generic villager: someone with no ability beyond voting.

If I'm wrong in this, someone please tell me why.

Edit: nevermind. Just saw arivia's answer. Still seems hand-wavy, but whatever.

Still a good game overall.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Yup. I even said it out loud that the day 1 and 2 kills of you and alegis pretty clearly implicated me. I'm not exactly a subtle mafioso

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Okay, this is only my second phalla, but to my mind, you just described a generic villager: someone with no ability beyond voting.

If I'm wrong in this, someone please tell me why.
    The statement means that everyone had unique fluff, if nothing else.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Ouch.....

sorry guys, got a llittle a Rainboom happy there.

7 mafia!? Are you serious!? Ugh....

Here are the forums the (mini) network was working so you can see our fail from start to finish.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    And you missed them all. :P

• Options
    As I pointed out earlier, I was his targeting system. :mrgreen:

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

I always hated that episode where Pinkie Pie could magically detect things with no clear reason and Twilight Sparkle (and the audience) were instructed to merely take it on faith.

I am now vindicated.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

<3

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i want to see a game with 13 specials and 7 mafia

that would be ridiculous