As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Midsummer Night's [chat]

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I misread the year on that Ian McKellen video as 1797.

My first thought was, "Wow, he is old."

I did not stop to consider whether or not they had filming equipment in the 16th century.

Or that people don't live that long?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TL,DR wrote:
    What are the advantages of a rapier?

Oh boy! This post is like christmas for me.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, right? The rapier, being a weapon optimized for thrusting, is ideal for attacking down a straight line, making it a very efficient weapon. Cutting, on the other hand, follows the curve of a circle, which, isn't a straight line, which takes longer. Further, it's assumed in a civilian defense situation that your are not wearing any armor, which means that your sword is pretty much simultaneously your only (or just primary) means of both defense and offense. Due to the long length of the rapier, coupled with the one handed grip, allows you to use your blade to keep your vitals nice and far away from your opponent while still being able to offend your opponent. Further, to cut, you must first take your sword off line (raise it above your head, for example) or have it off line already (holding it above your head) and then bring it down. Then the sword is off line it is not actively defending you. The rapier on the other hand goes straight from the defense to the thrust with no in between step. In fact, you can often attack and defend in the same motion (in one tempo) with the rapier. It is an exceedingly efficient weapon.

It is however, kind of a slow weapon (efficient doesn't necessarily mean quick). The thrust is a quick, efficient motion but the rapier is not that nimble of a weapon over all. As mentioned it's quite long and used one handed. The parry-riposte concept (two tempi action, two step, the parry is its own step, the attack is its own step) isn't something rapiers were actually good at, that's something the later, lighter, shorter, quicker small swords were all about. As a result of the slowness an offhand was often employed with the rapier (like a dagger, or buckler, or even open hand) to help cover angles and parts of the body that the rapier would have a hard time defending by itself. It is with the small sword that you see no off-hand implement, and the hand dropping further and further behind the body as giving a more narrowed profile became the larger concern. Modern sport fencing evolved out of small sword, by the by, which is one of the reasons why they keep their hand behind them while fencing. Not some, had to hold a lantern behind you business.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Well that was interesting inqui

but in the battlefield people didn't use the rapier then?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Eighteenth.

Nineteenth.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:

I did not stop to consider whether or not they had filming equipment in the 16th century.

I don't know. There is precedent. I mean, look at Sean Connery.

Keanu Reeves.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

I don't know. There is precedent. I mean, look at Sean Connery.

Keanu Reeves.

Another fine example.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Daxon wrote:

Yeah the rapier was a weapon of civilian defense, the blade isn't stout enough or tapering enough to really be what you want against an armored foe.

iirc at the time the rapier was popular battlefield tactics were becoming blocks of pikemen backed up by units of men with muskets.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Young people and old people are the ones who think islam and muslims are a problem.

:?:

Because there's two ways to read this.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I always hated the Mel Gibson Hamlet, and Braveheart, way before it was cool to hate Mel.

/hipsterjeep

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I always hated the Mel Gibson Hamlet, and Braveheart, way before it was cool to hate Mel.

/hipsterjeep

I loved the Mel Gibson Hamlet because it is closer to my interpretation of Hamlet.

I don't think I have the strength for another battle of wills about whether or not X is good or not, but the Branagh version sucks.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Daxon wrote:

trying to pierce armor is nearly futile and the rapier is only good for piercing.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

Yeah the rapier was a weapon of civilian defense, the blade isn't stout enough or tapering enough to really be what you want against an armored foe.

iirc at the time the rapier was popular battlefield tactics were becoming blocks of pikemen backed up by units of men with muskets.

I've always wondered about that because it looks flimsy as fuck to fight someone in knight armour and on a horse.

But that all makes much more sense.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    What are the advantages of a rapier?

Oh boy! This post is like christmas for me.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, right? The rapier, being a weapon optimized for thrusting, is ideal for attacking down a straight line, making it a very efficient weapon. Cutting, on the other hand, follows the curve of a circle, which, isn't a straight line, which takes longer. Further, it's assumed in a civilian defense situation that your are not wearing any armor, which means that your sword is pretty much simultaneously your only (or just primary) means of both defense and offense. Due to the long length of the rapier, coupled with the one handed grip, allows you to use your blade to keep your vitals nice and far away from your opponent while still being able to offend your opponent. Further, to cut, you must first take your sword off line (raise it above your head, for example) or have it off line already (holding it above your head) and then bring it down. Then the sword is off line it is not actively defending you. The rapier on the other hand goes straight from the defense to the thrust with no in between step. In fact, you can often attack and defend in the same motion (in one tempo) with the rapier. It is an exceedingly efficient weapon.

It is however, kind of a slow weapon (efficient doesn't necessarily mean quick). The thrust is a quick, efficient motion but the rapier is not that nimble of a weapon over all. As mentioned it's quite long and used one handed. The parry-riposte concept (two tempi action, two step, the parry is its own step, the attack is its own step) isn't something rapiers were actually good at, that's something the later, lighter, shorter, quicker small swords were all about. As a result of the slowness an offhand was often employed with the rapier (like a dagger, or buckler, or even open hand) to help cover angles and parts of the body that the rapier would have a hard time defending by itself. It is with the small sword that you see no off-hand implement, and the hand dropping further and further behind the body as giving a more narrowed profile became the larger concern. Modern sport fencing evolved out of small sword, by the by, which is one of the reasons why they keep their hand behind them while fencing. Not some, had to hold a lantern behind you business.

What about a zweihander vibrogunblade?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I have no clue what the point of that new Three Musketeers movies is supposed to be. All the commercials just make it look really stupid yet serious, and I can't tell if it is meant to be one huge joke.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @Inqui

hold a lantern?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Rapiers were the equivalent of a hand gun, essentially.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    I have no clue what the point of that new Three Musketeers movies is supposed to be. All the commercials just make it look really stupid yet serious, and I can't tell if it is meant to be one huge joke.

Make money, I'd guess. It has some built-in brand recognition that they don't have to buy a license for, too.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    My first exposure to shakespeare was watching Mel Gibson's Hamlet and Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing in class when I was 12.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:

/hipsterjeep

I loved the Mel Gibson Hamlet because it is closer to my interpretation of Hamlet.

I don't think I have the strength for another battle of wills about whether or not X is good or not, but the Branagh version sucks.

Everything about the Mel Gibson Hamlet was p. good except for Mel Gibson, who was godawful and had no idea what to do with the role.

Branagh's Hamlet was an hour too long and way too full of itself (like most things Branagh has done).

I've seen a lot of film adaptations of Shakespeare that I've really enjoyed, but I've never seen a great Hamlet on screen.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I've never seen a great Hamlet on screen.
    do you bite your thumb at olivier sir?

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Rapiers were the equivalent of a hand gun, essentially.

New gun control law:

You can own whatever handguns you want, but can only shoot them while wearing a bright purple hat with a feather in it.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many girls have ever cried because I didn't love them.

I know of at least 3.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote:
    Drez wrote:

/hipsterjeep

Everything about the Mel Gibson Hamlet was p. good except for Mel Gibson, who was godawful and had no idea what to do with the role.

Branagh's Hamlet was an hour too long and way too full of itself (like most things Branagh has done).

I've seen a lot of film adaptations of Shakespeare that I've really enjoyed, but I've never seen a great Hamlet on screen.

Tennant's was pretty good (though that was basically another RSC stage adaptation).

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote:
    Was Hamlet 2 any good/funny? I kinda wanted to see it, but never did.

I laughed...at times... was ok...

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    That new Three Musketeers movie looks, and I say this with heart, like a giant turd.

• Options
    Winky wrote:

I know of at least 3.

playaaa

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:

I know of at least 3.

Do goats count?

Do you love me?

You can answer these questions in any order, choose wisely.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    I loved Hamlet 2. I thought it was poorly-marketed, and everything I saw about the film presented it as a ridiculous slapstick comedy when in reality it was a lot smarter than that.

It's not everybody's cup fo tea, though. Might explain why it's $3 (or whatever) on Amazon right now.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    shalmelo wrote:
    Drez wrote:

/hipsterjeep

Tennant's was pretty good (though that was basically another RSC stage adaptation).

I have had that since just after it aired and I still haven't seen it.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    I've never seen a great Hamlet on screen.
    do you bite your thumb at olivier sir?

Nope, just haven't seen his.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    There will one day be a movie involving musketeers who have goddamn muskets.

• Options
    Advanced warning: I may plug my Kickstarter in here again some time in the next 30 minutes, if I remember.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So I got a PSN Code for the Batman Beyond skin, thanks to MyDcmbr's selfless consumption of an energy drink, and it doesn't work.

It appears these codes are region locked.

fffffffff_123.png

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah why the fuck do the three musketeers always have swords? Why the fuck are they called the musketeers?

• Options
    That new Three Musketeers movie looks, and I say this with heart, like a giant turd.

I suspect if it didn't claim to be related to The Three Musketeers, then I'd likely be all over that film.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Yeah why the fuck do the three musketeers always have swords? Why the fuck are they called the musketeers?

Different kind of musket :winky:

• Options
    Couscous wrote:
    There will one day be a movie involving musketeers who have goddamn muskets.

The Lester version has them using Muskets as well as swords. Also it has Charlton Heston and Christopher Lee as villains.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    a rapier's deadliness is pretty underrated by most people too

a good thrust could easily pierce a major organ and kill someone.

• Options
    I would also like to inform Japan that dragoons were people with guns that could get off their horses and act as infantry, not goddamn people on dragons who never even got off those dragons during battle.

• Options
    I read somewhere that Shakespeare probably intended Hamlet to be a teenager, dunno if that's true, but he is angsty, and a college student, and he thinks he has life all figured out, also the play his about his relationship to his mother and his evil step father.

I'd like to see an adaptation where Hamlet's played by an 18 year old.

This discussion has been closed.