As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Midsummer Night's [chat]

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Well that was interesting inqui

but in the battlefield people didn't use the rapier then?

trying to pierce armor is nearly futile and the rapier is only good for piercing.

Not 100% right. You just need a piercing weapon built just for that purpose. Trying to just straight up pierce a breastplate isn't going to work, but say, if you try to shove an estoc up the joint in someones armpit? They are petty much fucked. Bludgeoning weapons will mess up a dude in armor if applied with enough force, to the right spot, and at the right angle.

Slashing/cutting weapons are right out though. You might as well bring a stick for all the good it will do you.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah why the fuck do the three musketeers always have swords? Why the fuck are they called the musketeers?

Beacause the Musketeers were a private force of the French King. However, because of the long load-time for muskets they also had to be excellent swordsmen and so were unlikely to carry their muskets except for pre-arranged battles.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    a rapier's deadliness is pretty underrated by most people too

a good thrust could easily pierce a major organ and kill someone.

It's because it looks so wimpy.

I mean, a guy dancing with a hand behind his back poking at you with this thin flimsy sword or the hulking brute with the 6 foot claymore? Which one do you think looks more bad ass?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Everybody underestimates the pikemen.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Diwali is in full force tonight.

The cats are looking slightly freaked out.

• Options

Yup, you are more likely to die from getting stabbed by say a rapier, than you are to die from getting slashed/cut from say a longsword. Just because a cut is less likely to go deep enough to puncture and organ. I mean, don't get me wrong a cut is still going to fuck your shit up, you'll be out of the fight, but, you might survive via medical treatment.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I loved Hamlet 2. I thought it was poorly-marketed, and everything I saw about the film presented it as a ridiculous slapstick comedy when in reality it was a lot smarter than that.

It's not everybody's cup fo tea, though. Might explain why it's $3 (or whatever) on Amazon right now.

I also thought it was hilarious

haven't seen it since theatres. $3 you say?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:
    Was Hamlet 2 any good/funny? I kinda wanted to see it, but never did.

I laughed...at times... was ok...

Yeah I felt the same way. Came highly recommended but in the end it was just kind of sort of funny for me.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Shakespeare films are pretty meh in general.

Plays are best appreciated viewed on stage, nothing will convince me otherwise.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Young people and old people are the ones who think islam and muslims are a problem.

:?:

Because there's two ways to read this.

People who are adults but haven't gotten loopy don't, it's what I meant.

Which is pretty good. Young people can't be expected to know anything and old people can't be expected not to be horrible.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Inquisitor wrote:

Yup, you are more likely to die from getting stabbed by say a rapier, than you are to die from getting slashed/cut from say a longsword. Just because a cut is less likely to go deep enough to puncture and organ. I mean, don't get me wrong a cut is still going to fuck your shit up, you'll be out of the fight, but, you might survive via medical treatment.

You'd probably be out of fighting for good though unless you're reaaaally lucky.

EDIT: But like, getting a piece of metal through your chest is gonna work out about as good for you as getting glocked in the chest.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I mean, a guy dancing with a hand behind his back poking at you with this thin flimsy sword or the hulking brute with the 6 foot claymore? Which one do you think looks more bad ass?

I can tell you which one looks more likely to be able to actually kill me:
    10001073.jpg

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    I loved Hamlet 2. I thought it was poorly-marketed, and everything I saw about the film presented it as a ridiculous slapstick comedy when in reality it was a lot smarter than that.

It's not everybody's cup fo tea, though. Might explain why it's $3 (or whatever) on Amazon right now.

Pretty sure I watched it on Netflix... I don't remember ever renting it, and definitely didn't see it in the theatre.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    @Drez

Re: writing media in last thread

There is no inherent value difference in the words produced by different means, no, but the media you employ - just like any other restriction - can have a drastic impact on what you actually write.

Writing by hand will result in differences of style and diction vs typing or dictating.

It's like a more subtle version of how constraining yourself to rhyme and meter alters the flow of words and ideas when writing a poem.

• Options
    @Inqui

hold a lantern?

I dunno, maybe it was just a thing I was told as a kid? But, I was always told that in sport fencing you had to fight in a straight line and you had to hold your hand behind you because they fought in narrow alleyways at night while holding a lantern behind them for light.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Man, [chat].

You ever have one of those days.

Just like, cranky, tired, busy, tired, and cranky?

I need ice cream.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular

yeah I heard that his sequel to Hamlet was pretty lame except on stage

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    @Drez

There is no inherent value difference in the words produced by different means, no, but the media you employ - just like any other restriction - can have a drastic impact on what you actually write.

Writing by hand will result in differences of style and diction vs typing or dictating.

It's like a more subtle version of how constraining yourself to rhyme and meter alters the flow of words and ideas when writing a poem.

I can confirm that I write very differently by hand than via typing. I wrote all my college papers by hand first.

• Options
    I think Romeo and Juliet is great, but it is one of Shakespeare's "novice" plays.

Though talking about Shakespeare's novice plays is like talking about a modern author's most refined works.

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Oh.

See I thought you meant old people do because they're racist, and young people do because they're one of the most tolerant generations in history, and that doesn't really line up with islam.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    @Drez

I think that entirely depends on your writing process. For my writing process, I only found myself frustrated with sluggishness and hand cramping when I was stuck with pen and paper. The only difference between then and now is that now I can actually type at the speed I think (and even then typing is still a bit slow).

If anything, my self-editing process has become more robust.

So I don't think it is accurate to say that writing by hand "will result" in differences. I think it would be correct to say it "may result" in differences. But I really don't think that is the case for most people. I understand where you and your hypothesis is coming from, but I don't agree with it.

Drez on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

I can tell you which one looks more likely to be able to actually kill me:
    10001073.jpg

That depends.

As you said in the other post, a cut might not kill you immediately but we're talking about a time when medicine and doctoring were still in the shitty stages. Someone hacking off your arm, or putting a deep cut into your shoulder could easily kill you from infection and disease.

Either way, you're not continuing to fight.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Did anyone else UK side try to get a NOS Batman Beyond code? I want to confirm if it's a region thing.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    if i find some madman with a rapier i will shoot him

then i will fuck with a uav operator and he will explode me

it is the circle of martial life

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Variable wrote:

$3.92, it says here.

Did anyone else UK side try to get a NOS Batman Beyond code? I want to confirm if it's a region thing.

Have you tried creating an American account and then claiming the code with that?

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I tried carrying around like a writing journal and whatnot.

It did nothing for me and I found myself turned away from writing. I would have all these awesome ideas while traveling on the bus/train or out and about and I've lost a lot of them to the winds of time now because I either didn't have something to write with on hand, or I couldn't be fucked to actually write my complicated series of ideas out by hand and by the time I got home or to where I was going, I'd forgotten either the construction of the idea that I liked, or the idea itself.

Now that I have a personal word processing device on hand at all times, I am much, much more productive.

Now, perhaps that is because I find more inspiration while I am away from home. I actually find myself writing much more outside of my home than inside of my home. But even then, I couldn't even imagine choosing pen and paper over my desktop computer. That would be like cramming four people in your car and choosing the non-carpool lane just because.

Drez on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I bet a katana could beat a rapier

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    I bet a katana could beat a rapier

could god make a katana so sharp it could go through his skin?

• Options
    That depends.

As you said in the other post, a cut might not kill you immediately but we're talking about a time when medicine and doctoring were still in the shitty stages. Someone hacking off your arm, or putting a deep cut into your shoulder could easily kill you from infection and disease.

More that a 6 foot claymore is a horribly unwieldy weapon.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

Have you tried creating an American account and then claiming the code with that?

Arkham City requires you sign in to access your existing DLC. I'll miss out on what I already have, as well as the progress I've made, if I have to log in on a different account to get the skin. I don't think I'm that desperate

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I tried carrying around like a writing journal and whatnot.

It did nothing for me and I found myself turned away from writing. I would have all these awesome ideas while traveling on the bus/train or out and about and I've lost a lot of them to the winds of time now because I either didn't have something to write with on hand, or I couldn't be fucked to actually write my complicated series of ideas out by hand and by the time I got home or to where I was going, I'd forgotten either the construction of the idea that I liked, or the idea itself.

Now that I have a personal word processing device on hand at all times, I am much, much more productive.

Now, perhaps that is because I find more inspiration while I am away from home. I actually find myself writing much more outside of my home than inside of my home. But even then, I couldn't even imagine choosing pen and paper over my desktop computer. That would be like cramming four people in your car and choosing the non-carpool lane just because.

I've written entire first drafts on my iPhone while on the bus. The CeltX iPhone/iPad app has a wonderful little feature that lets you sync scripts with your PC or Mac, so when I'd get home I'd just transfer the script to the PC, fix the typos, and keep going.

• Options

Arkham City requires you sign in to access your existing DLC. I'll miss out on what I already have, as well as the progress I've made, if I have to log in to get the skin.

Well shit.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

You're not going to see Anthony Hopkins/Ian McKellen quality actors at your local playhouse.

Also on film you can give a more subtle, naturalistic performance. You don't have to shout every line.

Also when you're watching a film you can turn on subtitles.

• Options
    shalmelo wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I always hated the Mel Gibson Hamlet, and Braveheart, way before it was cool to hate Mel.

/hipsterjeep

I loved the Mel Gibson Hamlet because it is closer to my interpretation of Hamlet.

I don't think I have the strength for another battle of wills about whether or not X is good or not, but the Branagh version sucks.

Everything about the Mel Gibson Hamlet was p. good except for Mel Gibson, who was godawful and had no idea what to do with the role.

Branagh's Hamlet was an hour too long and way too full of itself (like most things Branagh has done).

I've seen a lot of film adaptations of Shakespeare that I've really enjoyed, but I've never seen a great Hamlet on screen.

Gibson did have this "fish out of water gasping for air almost having an orgasm" kind of look to him while he was flopping around from scene to scene but I thought he did pretty good at switching between nutty and devious without giving the audience a concrete answer as to which he actually was.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    That depends.

More that a 6 foot claymore is a horribly unwieldy weapon.

excuse me some of us are real men and can wield them like steak knives

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    one day i will own a sword, just to own one

also storm trooper armor

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    How the fuck you can say Branagh's Hamlet was an hour too long when it was pretty much the exact same length as the play is beyond me.

• Options
    wandering wrote:
    You're not going to see Anthony Hopkins/Ian McKellen quality actors at your local playhouse.

I disagree. Some of the best stage stuff I've seen has been put on by small, local groups. I was in an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's "Wyrd Sisters" sme years back, and the guy we had playing the Fool was incredible.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    did they ever use great big battle axes IRL

those are p. boss

saving up to buy one

This discussion has been closed.