As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, San Diego

CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
As some of you may remember, I'm in the process of relocating from the UK to CA for work.

With that in mind, I'm flying out tomorrow, for six weeks (give or take) to train and meet the larger US team.

I'm going to be in Solana Beach, just a little ways north of San Diego, for (around) six weeks.

Unfortunately, according to the US Embassy, you're only allowed to drive on a non-US license in CA for 1 week (and given I'm in mid-visa application, I have no desire to risk it anyway).

As such, whilst I can get to the US office fairly easily, I'm going to be limited in where I can get to outside of work hours - basically, anything I can get to from the Coaster, or in the five mile radius of Solana Beach that the shuttle bus will service.

Does anyone here have any tips for stuff to do, places to eat, etc, etc? I've already got the zoo planned in for a Saturday, but really, six weeks is a long time, and I have no idea what's accessible to foot traffic.

CroakerBC on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The Coaster + buses and trams take you pretty much anywhere in San Diego proper. The beaches, of course, are necessary, although you'll want to wait for a sunny day. The one right by you is nice, and the beach with the seals in La Jolla is worth a visit (850 Coast Blvd). You can check out the USS Midway, or at the very least walk around in that area (it's a tourist trap kind of place but still fun). Balboa Park is nice even aside from the zoo. There are museums and stuff, like the Air & Space museum.

As for food, I don't go to many restaurants, but you'll want to eat fish tacos from at least 4 places because that's really the only thing San Diego has going for it. I'll just save myself some trouble and link to some articles:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/03/best-fish-tacos-in-san-diego-california.html
    http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/media/San-Diego-Magazine/January-2010/San-Diego-Fish-Tacos/
    http://www.greatescapes.com/culinarytravel/ci_3811638

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Motor vehicle laws and licensing is done on a state level in the US, for the most part.

It seems like non-residents in California can drive non-commercial vehicles with a license from their home jurisdiction as long as they are here legally, but you should contact the California DMV directly and ask.

I know it is not exactly what you wanted but I am not from the area and thought this might still help.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The Coaster + buses and trams take you pretty much anywhere in San Diego proper.

If you take the Coaster to the Old Town Transit Station, you can get onto several trolley lines from there that'll take you to a wide number of places around downtown (and then some). And I definitely second hitting up Balboa Park and as many of its museums as possible.

Aside from the race track in Del Mar, and the beaches, I'm not sure if there's anything that really stands out in the Solana Beach area. I know there are a lot of neat little shops and restaurants, and even a couple of art galleries spotting Encinitas, but most of the big San Diego attractions (zoo, Sea World, Seaport Village, Petco Park, etc.) tend to be near downtown.

Officer 1BDI on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The CA DMV disagrees with what you heard from the embassy:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

The "one week" thing is covered in the above link and only applies if you are intending to become a California permanent resident.

They also do not require (or recognize) an international license.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#international

You should be fine for the duration of your stay. Welcome to California!

Edit: As for places to go, some bars will not accept out-of-country passports as proof of age. You may want to call ahead before picking a place.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    You can also catch an amtrack train straight into los angeles, though I can't remember the cost off the top of my head, but it's not a bad trip at all. Or you could ride it up to Anaheim and go to Disneyland if you so desire. You're going to be right in a north county beach community though, so there should be plenty of days where you can just wander around and take in the shops while bumming around the beach. There's plenty of outfits that rent kayaks, surfboards, and etc. in case you feel like enjoying the water, though it's pretty chilly water right now....

I do highly recommend the midway museum if you at all like military history or just seeing some sweet hardware, very easy to blow an entire day there, though it's a buttload of walking, and the tix are a little pricey.

• Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Fish tacos? Eat a California burrito, the big special food item of San Diego. It's a burrito composed of carne asada meat, cheese, french fries, and pico de gallo/sour cream generally. Best thing ever. You can find a taco shop serving such a delicious treat generally on every corner.

• Options
    SerathisBelSerathisBel Registered User regular
    San Diego has a lot more going for it than Fish Tacos man. I could spend several posts talking about how you can fill your days but I'll keep it brief. Things to eat/try:

San Diego Wild Animal Park/Sea World
    Stone Brewing
    California Burritos w/guacamole -Any good taco shop
    Sushi at Sushi Ota (Ichiro eat here)
    Shopping at Fashion Valley
    Visit the Seal Pool in La Jolla
    Kayaking at mission bay
    Spend a Saturday/Friday night on PB main see the craziness
    Visit Old Town/Downtown

There is a lot more too. I'd recommend just trying things out, don't make a list.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Solana Beach is pretty much my favorite place in California.

-Del Mar fairground will be right near you, so maybe check their event list.
    -Balboa Park, where the San Diego Zoo is, has about two days worth of things to do in it (not including the zoo). There are a number of museums there along with just being a pretty nice place to walk around/eat.
    -If you like the zoo, you may like its other location: The San Diego Wild Animal Park. Much larger and exposed exhibits.
    -Seaworld is fun if you want to see big animals, but if you want a more aquarium feel you can check out the Birch Aquarium at Scripps.
    -Maybe check out an American Football game and watch the Chargers at Qualcomm stadium.
    -Belmont Park boardwalk

Hopefully you'll be able to get around pretty easily by driving or coaster+trolley/bus. Solana beach really has a smalltown vibe, so if you're limited to Solana/DelMar/Cardiff it might be sort of a boring trip unless you want to learn to surf. If you can drive, you'll have a ton of things to do.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    Might as well explore Balboa Park while you are at the Zoo.

You can always take the Amtrak up to Los Angeles as well, the station (in LA) is basically located right next to Chinatown and there is a lot of cool stuff within walking distance there. But, if it turns out you can drive you may as well do that because honestly it would probably be faster and give you a lot more freedom.

Honestly, San Diego is an amazing place to live and I love being here...but as a sort of 'lets find a bunch of exciting things to do during a short stay' kind of place...it isn't necessarily the best.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I live in Carlsbad and the beach 10 minutes from my house is honestly more amazing and fun to me than anything listed here, except maybe the USS midway. Get a wetsuit and learn to surf, it's great.

Also, if you bike at all, the last friday of every month is critical mass in downtown and that's pretty fun. I did it yesterday.

• Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    While in Solana Beach, Pizza Port is pretty good pretty good. http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizza-port-solana-beach

Otherwise, I'd also check out Extraordinary Desserts, there are two in San Diego, not sure, which would be easier for you to get to. San Diego is definitely a driving kind of town.

In addition to the California Burrito, get the Carne Asada Fries, it's what's in the burrito, but spread out in a tray.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys - you are all awesome.
    Due to something of a family crisis (which may warrant its own thread later), I'm now flying out next Wednesday...along with a copy of the California day-by-day guide.
    But your recommendations are awesome, and, believe me, appreciated. I can't claim to be a big cyclist, but I'm liking the idea of Balboa park (and loving the idea of Extraordinary desserts).

Some guys from the office went ot eh Midway recently and were very enthusiastic on their return; and the Air and Space museum is SO getting added.

Thanks for the tip about passports as ID, too - I hadn't thought that maybe places wouldn't take a passport.That makes things a bit more complex!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    The Midway is pretty cool, but its an all day thing if you want to see everything.

California burritos are also great and your best bet is to get one from a place ending in "tos", preferably a Robertos.

Balboa Park is also quite excellent and you really shouldnt leave San Diego without seeing it as its easily one of the nicest places the city has to offer. There are a number of museums, the zoo is right there, the trees are nice.

All the nightlife is basically concentrated in Pacific Beach and the Gaslamp (downtown), but be warned - PB is filled with douchebags and Downtown with assholes, but they can both still be fun. If youre in the mood for bars, hit up PB, if you want clubs go to the Gaslamp (although there are some pretty sweet bars down there too - The Field is a great Irish pub and Nicky Rottens is a great bar at night and an even better burger joint during the day).

You could always go to the beach. Its free and theyre all pretty nice.