As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: A thing that is going to happen

15678911»

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I am currently not otherwise distracted if any folks want to mess around on MegaMek.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'd just want to watch before committing to anything hardcore. I'm interested in classic Battletech, but I'd kinda like for Wizkids to get the license back since using itty bitty minis for a giant robot game seems kinda counter-intuitive.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Classic Battletech isn't actually that difficult in my experience, but I've only played level 2 rules.

Plus my buddy I play it with is a walking library of mech stats.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    they further addressed the f2p stance in forum posts and a news post and it is sounding more and more like the LoL format

I approve

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I have registered my name.
    Buttsoup shall ride the wind

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    if I can spam PPC, I will give them my money

• Options
    Xehalus wrote:
    if I can spam PPC, I will give them my money

You can always spam PPC

...for a minute.

Unless you're in a refitted Awesome, then I think you get two minutes with regular PPCs, but only about 30 seconds with ERs

• Options
    So is anybody actively interested in trying to set something up on MegaMek?

Because I am seriously down for that.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    There's a steam group linked in the G+T thread. We got a test game going a few nights ago.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I know they said on the website that they aren't any good but are the bots worth anything in megamek? If I don't want to embarrass myself in front of real people in my first game can I do a bot game just to learn the mechanics?

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    I sent a PM around to see if everyone is still interested.

The normal bot isn't that great, the princess bot can be suprising. If you're starting out with the game I recommend loading up the training scenarios.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Stand in water when unleashing your PPCs. Just make sure you don't have damage or the submerged sections will flood and wreak havoc.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    For easy connecting with Megamek I've thrown up a Hamachi network. Network name is SE++ - Battletech the password is megamek

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    what is mega mek

• Options
    Wiet wrote:
    For clarification, Megamek is a java based client for playing Battletech over, much like how Maptools works for D&D and such.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    It seems like Piranha is planning to have regular updates every wednesday on the main MWO site. Their plan for November can be found here. I'm really looking forward to the developer interview with FlyingDebris, I love that man's art so much.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Wiet wrote:
    It seems like Piranha is planning to have regular updates every wednesday on the main MWO site. Their plan for November can be found here. I'm really looking forward to the developer interview with FlyingDebris, I love that man's art so much.

I love the official art on the MWO page. That's his work? Dude's pretty damn good.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Yep, that's all his work, and so is the one in your sig. The guy's got a Midas touch for turning awful designs into something beautiful.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Found it on some (I'm guessing his!) deviantart page. Dangit, where's that link...

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    First part of the interview is now on the website!

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hey, the atlas is the best of a dumb-looking bunch.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A discussion in City of Heroes last night leads me to ask this: Did anyone pick up the names Michael Wilson or Richard Hawk when registering?

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    So today's tales from the trenches is somewhat relevant.
    Years ago I was working contract QA for a large corporation with a number of subsidiary development studios. I was a part of the build verification and performance testing team, and needless to say our job was fairly easy; check the newest and freshest build from the developer and create save points along the way, all the while logging performance issues and ad-hocing the shit out of the game.

Since the job came with a fair amount of “down time,” we were frequently asked to perform random jobs. “Play through the game for screen caps,” “provide saves for this team or that team,” “create unique scenarios for another team for marketing…” Fun stuff.

Then one day we were given another task… one unique to itself and all-together scary (for someone relatively new to the industry at the time). Three others and I were put into a shuttle and driven to an offsite building on another part of town. Once there we realized that we were standing in the shell of what was once a bustling and active studio, decorated with all things attractive and unique to a game studio. Arcade machines still plugged in, giant flat screens, whiteboards covered in gaming jargon and designer notes…and of course the free drinks fridge.

What was missing were the people. Not a single person was there. Controllers lay on the ground, placed there in haste as though the person handling it was forcibly removed from the office. Desks were scattered with random notes and pieces of technology, ideas still scribbled down on so many sticky notes as though they were going to be picked up later for a stand-up meeting to be relayed to some other “team.”

Well…no team existed anymore. This place was shut down and void of life. I knew that we were there to “save the valuables”... dev kits, monitors, controllers…it all had to go. What was once a hub of ideas was now a scrap yard of product to be recycled and re-used. I thought long and hard after cleaning up that mess of a studio… Was I making the right choice working for a small hourly wage while performing a task that most other industry folk look down upon knowing that maybe, I could end up like this place in the bat of an eye?

My answer: absolutely 100% you bet your fucking ass yes… this place may have now been deserted, but when it was moving full steam I have no doubt that it was a blast to work in and bustled with creativity and growth. The game industry will always have failed studios and horror stories about publishers shutting down projects. From every one of these comes a new batch of talent, ready to re-enter the workforce or forge ahead with their own team as independent studios. It’s been 4 years since I helped pick up the dead pieces of this studio, but I never forgot about it.

Rest in peace, FASA.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Sleepwalker9Sleepwalker9 Registered User regular
    :(

Xbox Live: Reborn9
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    damn

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yah, read that, depressing...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Funny, his point is just the opposite of depressing.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2011
    Pretty sure the discussion of the death of that particular studio in this particular thread can be classified as depressing.

A duck! on
  • Options
    The upside is that we do, at long last, have a new battletech game coming.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Mmmhmm, very true, and worst case scenario, I can go drown my sorrows in Battlepods....

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Jade Falcon forever. Got my name, just waiting for the game.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Funny, his point is just the opposite of depressing.

For him, sure.

But reading about somebody dismantling one of your favorite game studios is depressing.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    If I had to pick a clan.....Nova Cat is one I'm rather partial to.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    ahh picked up mech4 mercs when i was at my parent's house, played through it and beat it on davion's side with the wolf's dragoons, now going through it focusing on the steiner side (though currently have better davion reputation) with the gray death legion

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    A discussion in City of Heroes last night leads me to ask this: Did anyone pick up the names Michael Wilson or Richard Hawk when registering?
    FUCK!

YES!

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Buttlord Zoosmell reporting for duty.

Gonna blow up some things with a robot hell yeah