Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wine fridge that doesn't . . .

LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
irreperably break!

I bought my wife a Danby Dual temp model that we absolutely loved . . . until it stopped cooling. Cost $300 new. Repair bill: $250+maybe more, depending on what was busted.

Replacement - VInoVault. died 13 months after purchase. Runs but doesn't cool. Cost $200 new, Repair Bill: Who knows? No one fixes them. Apparently interghangable parts are so last century.

So, I'm to the point where I'm willing to buy a nice wine fridge to get what I want, but I don't know jack about appliance brands. I see a few brands I know, but upon closer inspection some turn out to be rebranded Haiter or Danby models. What kills me is that I've seen Haiter or Danby models go a decade of regular use, but a barely-needs-to run wine fridge blows up very quickly.

Any suggestions for a good wine fridge brand? I'm hoping not to spend a grand to store 10 bottles, but that'd be better than the $500 I've spent that can't do anything but inefficently heat my house.

If I didn't know LaPuzza wasn't a spambot I would think that was a spambot post.

• illigillig Registered User regular
    Have you considered an extended warranty? I recently purchased a dishwasher and after lots of research came to realize that all dishwashers under $1K have 50% of glowing reviews and 50% "it will break, flood your house, and eat your cat within 2 years" type reviews.

So I got an extended warranty for ~$100 and now I have peace of mind for the next 4 years.
    Warranties are usually ripoffs, but in this case it may be adviseable.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    My father in law has been collecting wine for 35+ years, and he stores his bottles in VinoTemps and SubZeros. These are full fridge-sized $2500+ units that store over 100 bottles a piece. I think the smaller ones (dorm fridge sized) are all pretty much crap.

Does it need to look nice? If not I'd look into getting a deep freeze and find a local homebrew supply and get yourself a temperature regulator. All new this would set you back maybe $350 and would store a lot of bottles, though you'd have to stack them so getting to the bottom bottles might be a bit of an annoyance. I know guys who've been using that kind of setup for lagering for years.

Edit: I'm talking about one of these.

Djeet on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    That's where I was headed - either buying a super long term warranty on a cheap one or buying an expensive one. I was hoping that there was a third option - a reasonably priced one with high reliability.

Oh well. Thanks for the advice; at least now I know my options.

If I didn't know LaPuzza wasn't a spambot I would think that was a spambot post.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We had a Kenmore that ran for years crammed into a closet. Still is going fine, just had to get rid of it due to incoming baby.

Very basic - Red or White settings, with option to adjust temp. Pretty noisy, though. Looks like this is its replacement.

Excision wrote: »
    My girlfriend is going down tonight!

Steam:MichaelLC