As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tintin: The Video Game

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
Either search (or my phone) is playing up or we don't have a thread for Tintin: The Video Game (or Tintin: The Video Game of the Movie based on the Comics/Books as it's known to it's friends).

1049976-tin_tin_and_snowy_super.jpg

This is a crying shame. I've picked it up and whilst I've only played through to the end of the first level I have to say I'm very impressed.

First off, yep, this is a 'kids' game. It's nice and easy, combat and controls are simple and I've yet to actually die. But this game is fun, very fun. So fun it'll bring a smile to your face as you play it.

The bulk of the game is a '2D' platformer similar in style to the original Prince of Persia (even similar still to the XBLA/PSN remake). It roughly follows the plot of the film, which incidentally I saw Tuesday and it was awesome, with the odd change here and there to help the gameplay flow.

Tintin can run, jump, roll and punch his way through the levels. When not running, jumping and punching the game is played from a 3D perspective. I haven't seen much of this as of yet but what I played was fine, if not as smooth as the 2d platforming. It generally involves searching an area for a clue, or running away from something.

the-adventures-of-tintin-20110607112736742_640w.jpg
TinTin.jpg

The combat is great, whilst punching is just a simple case of bashing "X" there's actually an entertainingly large number of ways to take down an enemy. Sneak up behind them and press RT to perform a stealth take down and avoid alerting others, throw a rock at a chandelier and send it crashing down in to two guards, jump in to a wooden barrel and then sneak up behind the enemy and whack him with the lid, punch a guard down a slope and send him crashing in to the others below. All complete with well animated 'prat falls'.

But wait, there's more! You don't just get to play as Tintin, you also control his faithful sidekick Snowy, the most ridiculously agile dog I've ever seen! With a bark that scares off rats and the ability to scale any vertical wall his portions of the game thus far have been a fun, if minor, diversion.

3-620x.jpg

And I haven't even mentioned the co-op challenges, set in the fevered delusions of Captain Haddock these levels seem considerably more surreal than anything in the main game. I've yet to put any time in though so can't comment on them further.

So, is anyone else playing this? Surely I can't be the only one.

Trailer here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-the-adventures/715801

(I'd try to embed a youtube link but I'm on IE6 and it's struggling as it is!)

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I tried to read the Tintin books when I was in elementary school. They were boring... he's like... a nerdy Indiana Jones or something? Maybe I'd enjoy them more now that I'm older?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I hated the books, I found them dull too. The movie, however, is amazing fun. It's certainly not dull, it actually reminds me considerably of The Uncharted games (the film that is) and the game is definitely worth a go.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I get a real... Shadow Complex vibe from some of those screens.

This is a good thing.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I liked the original books, though I liked them when I was around 10-12. I could still go back and enjoy them still though.

The art style of the movie really puts me off. Really wished it was more like the original art style.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I tried to read the Tintin books when I was in elementary school. They were boring... he's like... a nerdy Indiana Jones or something? Maybe I'd enjoy them more now that I'm older?

I will fight you

Tintin is rad

Although licensed movie game makes me wary

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Does it control shittily like Prince of Persia as well?

I'm all for 2D platforming but comparing them to PoP does not bode well

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Why Tintin, I ask myself?

I've always been more of an Asterix fan myself (and the NES game was surprisingly good, thank you).

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:

I've always liked to picture Tintin as an older Charlie Brown. He's even got Snoopy!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

I've always liked to picture Tintin as an older Charlie Brown. He's even got Snoopy!

My mind is blown.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    What does he even do? He was a reporter or something, right?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I wish I could kill you two with my mind.
    Tintin is fucking amazing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'm not saying Tintin is bad... I think. The books were boring, and I don't know what he does, or how his hijinx ensue.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Which PoP are we talking about here? There might or might not be a knife pressed against your side, good Sir.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    It's not that big a stretch.

charliebrowntintin.jpg

In other news, Linus is Captain Haddock.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

I'm all for 2D platforming but comparing them to PoP does not bode well

No, it controls great (though I do love me the PoP games but admit the controls may irk some). It's fast and responsive.

There's a pc demo but I'm not so sure about 360 or PS3. It's a shame because the game really is fun.

There's not much in the way of reviews at present though.

Eurogamer gave it 7/10 calling it "clever and deeply charming" but didn't like the non platform bits.

• Options
    I'm gonna chance it and Gamefly this. I do love me some 2.5D platforming.

• Options
    Aye, I wouldn't recommend a purchase as the single player can be beat in 5 hours according to Destructoid (7/10) but the coop adds plenty of extra time if you enjoy it.

I played some more last night, still loving it. Very easy though.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I have all the books and VHS taps of the episodes, I grew up on TinTin's subtle institutionalized racism.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Give it a go (it's 3d on ps3!).