As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Heart Gold communication error.

ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So today I went to play Pokemon Heart Gold. It had been a while since I played, but last time I did it worked fine. Today, whenever I start it up, it gets to the title screen, but when I press start, it will go to the load file screen for maybe half a second, before both screens turn blue, and I get a message saying:

"A communication error has occurred.

You will be returned to the title screen.
Please press the A Button"

When I press A it takes me back to the title screen, and when I press start it does the same thing.

I'm playing on a 3DS, and my copy is not any sort of bootleg. Is there anyway to salvage my game here?

Thesmileyemo on

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Possible that wifi might be turned off, might try turning it on. Otherwise, I hate to say, but your save may be corrupted.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    If it's not some dumb wifi-related problem, and you've played the game in your 3DS before, about the only solution I can think of is to try it in another DS of some sort, and/or see if you can otherwise adjust how it contacts the inside of your 3DS. This used to be a lot easier when we used cartridges for stuff because we could just tilt the cartridge... You can try carefully reinserting the card in different ways and see if that helps. I've also heard of a so-called "paper trick", where you slide a fairly small, folded piece of paper between the label side (not the contact side) of the card and the case of the DS. The intent is that the paper presses the cartridge against the contacts just a little better so that it might contact a little better if the contacts are currently misaligned. This shouldn't damage the card or your DS, even if it doesn't work. My main concern is that you ARE able to get into the game, and it's only when you try to load data that it fails. That seems to indicate that maybe what happened is that your card's contacts were misaligned when you last saved... which would likely mean the save is corrupted. This has happened to me before (actually, with the same game), and it's kind of terrible that it CAN happen. :( Good luck seeing if you can recover the save.