As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sanctum] Sanctum 2 Out!

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Still on the fence on the season pass too. The towers the first game added were awesome.

Also, I hope they keep the robot reading voice cause I can't tell you how many times I almost peed myself.

Also: John Madden

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    reposted since Bronc botp'd me:

Here's the giantbomb quicklook while I get this stuff sorted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWxgNjAY10

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Giantbomb QL's are so hard to watch when they're terrible at a genre you're good at.

PLAY BETTER! :lol:

EDIT: Apparently the rep is playing. Man. Train your reps!

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm a big fan of the lower walls. That was kinda a pain in the first one; you pretty much had to play on the walls above your stuff, unless you were using those holo towers.

EDIT: also I suspect the Super Sanctum TD has some of the new towers and such so I'll be sure to keep track when I load it up.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I'm a big fan of the lower walls. That was kinda a pain in the first one; you pretty much had to play on the walls above your stuff, unless you were using those holo towers.

EDIT: also I suspect the Super Sanctum TD has some of the new towers and such so I'll be sure to keep track when I load it up.

Agreed. Its like you had to use blocks for elevators to get back on and faceshoot aliens.

Looks like the aliens will be coming at hte player now too? Melee attacks? wat

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Here's my notes so far:
    Difficulty scaling with more players
    'light' rpg system, leveling up, unlock new weapons, towers, 'feats'
    All weapons/towers cross class except primary weapon
    loadouts before level
    no overview mode, but tab to see map
    lots of new towers and weapons
    lower, more flexable walls
    Aggro system to kite/tank (like dungeon defenders) to pull from path/core.
    Leaderboards
    Full refund on selling (really? o.O)
    Hidden areas return.
    FOV slider apparently (thank god)
    XBLA and PSN day and date with PC version.
    DLC will be more 'expansion pack' like and less just maps.  

Characters:
    	Skye Autumn
    		Assault Rifle
    		'Deals more damage for each hit on the enemy'
    		Can Double Jump
    	Sweet Autumn
    		Rex (rocket launcher)
    		Shots set targets on fire
    		'Great Air Control'
    	SiMo
    		Sniper Rifle
    		Deals more Weakspot Damage for each Weakspot hit depending on damage done
    		Has Better Accuracy
    	Haigen Hawkins
    		Shotgun
    		Deals more damage when close to enemies
    		Has more health

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Not liking what I'm seeing so far.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I like what I saw of that Giant Bomb video.

Until I had to turn it off. Shit sounds like a bad morning radio program. "Yuk yuk yuk!"

Drake on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Not liking what I'm seeing so far.

You're weird.

:lol:

What aren't you liking? It's a lot more of the first game with more options and refinements.

The dude playing is terrible; he's sitting on like piles of credits and not building anything meaningful tower/path wise. He's doing a really bad job of showing off the game (via Giantbomb QL)

But he is giving a lot of good info.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Stolen from the Coffee Stain forums (not official tower list):
    - Rocket Tower
    - Mine Dispenser
    - Cannon Tower
    - Focus Laser
    - Amp Spire
    - ACP - Automatic Crowd Pummeler

- Violator
    - Scatter Laser
    - Kairos
    - Accelerator
    - Lightning
    - Drone

People aren't seeing floor traps, which would be disappointing, i quite liked those; but it sounds like they're going more traditional with, for example, slows to have a tower do it instead of a floor tile. meh.

EDIT: Related, some folks are seeing that you can only place 10 towers? Would that be per player? And would that be different in single player? That'd be really disappointing if so.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Kiting, class mechanism s and leveling up makes me nervous is what i dont like.Way too many grind games lately.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I like the kiting. It always felt like a little bit of a disconnect that that the only thing I could do with the creeps is shoot them while they traveled their path to the core.

The leveling could go either way, yeah but I'm gambling on them making the game more accessible than the first. So I think the leveling could be useful in a lot of ways to the game if it's handled right. I'm hoping that it's used to gate difficulty levels/scaling and that the options unlocked are more useful sidegrades than straight up must-have to win abilities.

The class mechanic looks like a smart piece of streamlining to me. I know that I tend to focus on one or two weapons to upgrade. Everyone else I played with did the same thing. So it makes sense to me here, it'll make it easier for team mates to know where they are needed if everyone has roles to stick to.

Drake on
  • Options
    Yeah classes are fine. The only difference seems to be their primary weapon and 'special' feature like the sniper doing more damage to weak spots. Everyone gets all the other weapons and towers. Perks may be different, can't tell.

Just played a few rounds of the 'free' game, I think it gives a good idea of what to expect, leveling wise, maybe even perks will be similar to that little game.

And I agree about kiting; it felt weird in the first game that everything would just more or less ignore you entirely. It probably own't come into play solo much, but it could provide a lot of diversity in roles in multi with people on top of building towers, some 'kiting' or whatever.

I dunno, yeah, i mean, hey, to each their own. But from what I've seen so far I like.

And we'll know in a few days. I already preordered it, so yeah.

• Options
    Floor tiles : :shock:

I hope they come back. That was part of the formula that worked so well!

I read 10 towers per player on the forums. It was an old post so we'll see what happens. I'm curious on the upgrading towers mechanic also, previously, to upgrade a tower using 2 players, you both had to have the tower as one you could place.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    “Sanctum 1 was an awesome game, but many players felt that they wanted more ways to customize their characters and playstyle. We have added a perk system in Sanctum 2, but we want perks to be more than just a slight boost to your damage output.”

“To illustrate an example, there is one perk that doubles your clip size and rate of fire. Combine this with the Adrenaline Rush perk that increases your movement speed every time your shots hit an enemy, and throw in the Rymdskor perk that allows you to double-jump and do damage to enemies you land on and you’ll be a lightning-fast, bouncing & shooting ball of doom!”

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Here's their dev blog if folks are interested. Seems like an assload of info.

http://coffeestainstudios.com/blog

I think we'll be ordering pizza tonight because I'm gonna be to busy to make dinner :lol:

EDIT: and previews:
    http://www.destructoid.com/pax-sanctum-2-upgrades-the-original-in-every-way-249369.phtml
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/23/going-on-the-defensive-sanctum-2s-first-trailer/#more-147019
    http://www.gamezone.com/previews/2013/03/30/preview-sanctum-2-aims-to-deliver-more-fps-tower-defense-action

I've gotta formulate this all into a better OP too :rotate:

And it seems like there actually is a free weekend for Sanctum.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    16 maps at launch (vs Sanctums three), smaller-ish maps though with fewer waves per map to make each map not take as long (good); there'll be survival mode to play longer.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Floor tiles : :shock:
    I'm curious on the upgrading towers mechanic also, previously, to upgrade a tower using 2 players, you both had to have the tower as one you could place.

Answered from dev blog:
    One of the first things players will notice is that we now have a new and more effective way of upgrading towers. For example, instead of having to pay 100 resources to upgrade a tower, players will be able to pool in money continuously to upgrade its stats. Towers still have levels, but if it costs 100 resources to upgrade a lightning tower from level 1 to level 2, and you only have 72 resources, you’ll be able to press and hold the left mouse button to “pool” your resources into the tower, and you’ll have a lightning tower that’s 72% upgraded from level 1 to level 2. This means that you’ll never have to start an action-phase with surplus money, as money can always be pooled into a tower to upgrade its stats! (Unless it’s maxed, of course)

Also (some talk of) Towers Blog Post from January:
    http://coffeestainstudios.com/blog/development-update-8-towers#.UYwnLrU3ses

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Noice! A deeper, more nuanced Sanctum should be a blast, especially in multi. The retro game looks pretty fun, too.

• Options
    Super Sanctum TD is pretty hard. I think it's going to take some doing poorly for awhile, leveling up, and going back and perfecting the maps.

It's exactly what you'd imagine though. Sanctum without the FPS aspect.

All the perks, abilities and towers though, are pretty good stuff. Lots of variety. Small loadouts though. :(

• Options
    I'm guessing they're making slows tower rather than traps for two reasons:

-It makes you think about your maze a bit more. Before, as long as you had the cash/build slots for slows, you could slap them everywhere. Not anymore.
    -It avoids the player getting slowed by their own traps. While personally I think that was hilarious, and the effects were great, I suspect it pissed off a lot of players.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    They now have 4-packs available on Steam.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    So, is there singleplayer value in this?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    With the difficulty scaling based on how many players are on the map I'd venture that this will be a better single player game than Sanctum.

I'm just hoping it's not too easy. I loved soloing maps in the first one. I hope the scaling is more about keeping the maps from being a breeze with four players.

• Options
    Also, freeze gun, I needs it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Also, freeze gun, I needs it.

Yeah, the lack of freeze gun and floor tiles mentioned so far seem to imply they don't have any slowing mechanisms in the game so far. 'So far' being the important part here.

Maybe it was deemed too powerful? Mabye their holding those back for future dlc?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There's a slowing tower, it's mentioned on their blog. It's called a Time-Dilation Tower or something to that effect. EDIT: I think it's the Kairos in that list I posted above.

EDITx2: yeah: kairos.png
    Kairos - a tower that shoots out a probe that targets enemies and slows them down, making them easier targets.

We haven't seen all the weapons yet, there could be a freezing/slowing weapon. I'd be surprised if there wasn't really. Though, the ability to 'aggro' kinda diminishes the need for that sort of gun.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Oh man the secondary for the sniper sounds fuckawesome:
    Sniping enemies is way too fun, so we felt like we really wanted a sniping weapon in Sanctum 2. However, we still wanted it to be more than just a high-damage slow weapon. That’s why the sniper now has a secondary fire that fires a penetrating bullet that explodes and does damage in a cone behind the first enemy it hits. This makes the sniper both a perfect long-range weapon for heavy enemies, but once you’ve mastered its secondary fire mode, it can be excellent in taking out more than one enemy at a time as well.

• Options
    But herding! Herding everyone into a pack was my role! I don't want to tank!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think you're confusing herding with dog-piling.

Before you just froze them to pile em up, now you can herd them. :P

I should load up the first game. They added a few towers and maps since the last time I played.

• Options
    well, slow them all into one group is what I should say. Then freeze them in front of towers/mortar barrage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just wonder how kitable things will be. I imagine the AI won't be so hot on your average enemies; but I just think it's funny the idea of "oh, follow me; no no, I'm totally not leading you back in the path of the towers."

I just want to get my hands on the game. Dude in the Giantbomb quicklook was playing so bad I just was itching the whole time to get in there and do it right.

• Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    OK, that makes sense then. I'll just assume they know what they're doing because they probably do because they made the original Sanctum.

Maybe there will be a perk that will slow enemies near you that will facilitate herding? Or add a slowing effect to your shots? There are quite a few good options given the additional perk framework they've added.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    hot damn, this sounds great.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hey Curly, lookit what I found.

?.jpg

Man I'm really looking forward to this.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yep. Going to play some of #1 this weekend. I will harass you all!

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm in the process of updating the OP so don't mind the mess. I've just got to take care of some other stuff right now and can't finish.

I just want to say that Sanctum is 75% off with all DLC right now and free to play till Sunday

The entire Sanctum 1 collection is currently $4.75 (includes soundtrack, but collection price reduction is more than cost of soundtrack so might as well...) so if you're curious there's not been a better time to try it.

If you want your name added to the list of Sanctum and/or Sanctum 2 players in the OP send me a PM or post here (PM will be more likely to get updated in the OP as I might miss posts).

• Options
    Good lord; I just loaded up the first game and there are a bunch of maps since last time I played, towers too. This should give me something to do for awhile this weekend.

Because I totally didn't have a million other things to do. :rotate:

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    haha

drake, that's awesome

i think what i'm looking forward to the most is the new groovy music

i ADORE the sanctum soundtrack

specially this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpum-g0vESo

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy