As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GameDex: Ultimate Game Backlogger, betatesters needed

elkataselkatas Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Hi,

As some of you guys might know, I have been working on free, web based game backlogger for some time. Now application is so close to working version, that I'm starting to search for betatesters, who could poke around application, search for bugs and give general feedback. So is anyone interested help me out? Thej3w has promised to host it, and as I said, it is going to be completely free when it is ready.

FEATURES
* PHP-application
* Uses MySQL as a database engine
* Multiple users.
* User profiles. Possibility to save avatars, email addresses, other messaging stuff like AIM, MSN, Yahoo and IRC handles.
* Users can add games to their collections.
* In addition of having normal data about game, you can tell is game completed, how far you are in the mainquest and give general comment about game.
* Each game can have multiple personal goals. These are intended to keep track for your progress.
* Users can browse each others collections.
* Users can set their collections to private, so others can't browse them.
* User can set himself "Battle Plan" where you designate in which order you are going through your backlog.
* Possibility to import games to database from TXT or CVS file

IMAGES
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8504/image1jp5.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2366/image2qr6.jpg
http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/4771/image3xe1.jpg

Hypnotically inclined.
elkatas on

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm up for helping out, sure.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I'm down too. Sounds interesting.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FloFlo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm game. (sorry for the pun.) My backlog is pretty huge.

Flo on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wake up on IRC.

revolve wants to sex you.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Added images. As you can see, I pretty much suck when it comes to graphical design.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i'd try it out. seems good as a catalog-er as well.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm in.

Question: Any plans to tie this out to some sort of web output, either BBCode or god forbid HTML? I'm trying to build one of those from scratch, but if you guys are close to finish, then I might as well be lazy.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sign me up, Scotty.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eh, why not - Count me in.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    FenixOneFenixOne Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am very down for this. My backlog needs all the help it can get.

FenixOne on
    Evil+Boot.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think that we have enough betatesters. This is quite small application after all and consisted from only about 15 different forms. But what worries me most is that I haven't heard anything about thej3w yet. Has anyone seen him around?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    Question: Any plans to tie this out to some sort of web output, either BBCode or god forbid HTML?

Nope. Doing BBCode would require far more time than I'm currently ready to invest into this. HTML tags are converted into webchars to prevent JavaScript attacks*.

* JavaScript attack = You put external Javascript files HTML refer code into input field that isn't filtered in any way. Now when user comes to page that outputs your saved text, he also automatically runs javascript code that you did set up. Usually this is used either to dump user's cookies contents into attackers log or to activate pop-up window that has "interesting" webpage (i.e. Goatse).

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hi,

It seems like theJ3w isn't around, so ArcticFox is going to host beta. It should be up tomorrow, so stay tuned.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    Question: Any plans to tie this out to some sort of web output, either BBCode or god forbid HTML?

Nope. Doing BBCode would require far more time than I'm currently ready to invest into this. HTML tags are converted into webchars to prevent JavaScript attacks*.

* JavaScript attack = You put external Javascript files HTML refer code into input field that isn't filtered in any way. Now when user comes to page that outputs your saved text, he also automatically runs javascript code that you did set up. Usually this is used either to dump user's cookies contents into attackers log or to activate pop-up window that has "interesting" webpage (i.e. Goatse).
    I think you kind of misunderstood me. From what you are describing, it's a website service that allows you to update and track info, and allow other to see it on the website.

What I've been looking for is something that takes such data (games played, progress), and output it in HTML format on my own website or stuff. It would be as simple as grabbing the output that you use on your database, and instead of the typical displayPage stuff, you would parse it with basic HTML stuff.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    What I've been looking for is something that takes such data (games played, progress), and output it in HTML format on my own website or stuff. It would be as simple as grabbing the output that you use on your database, and instead of the typical displayPage stuff, you would parse it with basic HTML stuff.

Hmh, I haven't tried anything like that before, but I will put it under work. I'm also working on PDF report system.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    BoomerBoomer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm down for testing. It'll give me something to do while at work.

Boomer on
  • Options
    rathstarrathstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is an app I've been looking for, so I'm in for sure. I have php/mysql skillz, too, just in case.

rathstar on
  • Options
    LemmyLemmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm willing to give this a test, I've been needing something like this for a while.
    Cheers

Lemmy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm currently having severe case of stomach flu, so release will be pushed for at least two days. Sorry.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, here is current situation. ArcticCX promised host GameDex, and we tried to install program today. Unfortunately, it looks like ArcticCX's server doesn't (and can't) have support for MySQLi library. We try to fiddle things more tomorrow, but I'm already searching for someone who could host GameDex in case we can't get ArcticCX's MySQLi to work.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What's the status on this?

AlphaTwo on