Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Recommended Reading

• boojiboy7boojiboy7 Registered User
    edited December 2004
    1984 was a great book in its concepts. Too bad Orwell really can't write too well.

And I know this has been said before but...

ULYSSES...joyce is a genius, and the insane amoutn of detail in this book only begins to scratch the surface of how.

and Gravity's Rainbow, for being the most insane and beautiful complexity ever written.

sig.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2004
    "The War Book", an anthology, by James Sallis, 1969. Kinda creeps me out because one of the stories in there, written in the 60's, is disturbingly close in most respects to a story I wrote in the mid 90's.

Anything by Rod Serling, the older the better... remember the classics, kiddies.

"Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris. Never see either movie made from it. Ever. Don't even let them touch you. Just read the book.

"The Long Walk" and "Rage", by Richard Bachman. I firmly believe these can't have been written by Stephen King... they're too damn good. I've never finished reading a Stephen King book and needed three days to calm down.

"Bible Stories for Adults" by James Morrow. Most of his books have been banned by my particular library, but this one made it through.

• Mr. PresidentMr. President Registered User
    edited December 2004
    First, let me note that I read primarily Fantasy fiction,

Second, let me tell you that Dick Francis is the best author I've ever read. His books are mysteries about horse racing, nothing from out of this world, and If you haven't read them, you're missing out.

~Mr. President
    If there has been a time the world needed a hero it is now. Or rather yesterday, in fact, you're too late. Go home.
    edited December 2004
    Spider Robinson: A Free Lunch, which in turn mentions this book which surpasses it with ease:

Barry Hughart: Bridge of Birds

Others:

Michael OShaera or something: Killer Angels

• killblueskillblues Registered User
    edited December 2004
    Not sure if it's been posted, if it hasn't then shame on all of you :P:
    The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand

MK: DS Friend Code -- 403.788.951.838
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    Is there a good discount bookstore online?

I need some Dick novels ASAP, and my local shops don't carry them.

• ElysiumElysium Registered User
    edited December 2004
    I usually half.com it for extra cheap books. That's my main source. Especially for books I need to read for classes.

Speaking of, I just finished one called In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien. Anyone here who takes an interest in Vietnam and the horrible ways it can twist a man's psyche, check it out.

It's about a guy who took part in My Lai and now, 20 years and a failed Senate bid later, his wife has dissapeared. You find out all these crazy things. It's really good.

Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy that's literature with a capital "L". These books are so good that I fully intend to horde them until I have a child, so that he/she can discover them in a dusty corner of the bookshelf, and be as enthraled and surprised as I was by them.

• TripedTriped Registered User
    edited January 2005
    works of Waugh, or at least Brideshead Revisited, Decline and Fall, Vile Bodies, and the Sword of Honour Trilogy (Men at Arms, Officers and Gentlemen, and Unconditional Surrender)

excellent writer, hilarious and moving, and he doesn't make much of an attempt to avoid coloring his books with his life events. i also highly recommend him if you want to understand the mechanics behind (one type of) successful writing -- studying his style has really paid off for me in the last couple of months.

falloutsig1.jpg
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Although it's a literary novel, (As in character/theme driven as opposed to completely plot driven) I would recommend T.C Boyle's East is East to anyone here. It's got an engaging plot, and it handles its cliched themes (The illusions of a better place, xenophobia as human nature) it does so in a manner so original and and exciting that the concept itself seems new.

It's about a Japanese kid in the Japan Navy (About 20 years old) who faces discrimination in Japan (and in the navy) for being half white. Therefore, he escapes (after getting into some trouble) to an island off the coast of Georgia, expecting to find peace, acceptance, diversity and "brotherly love".
    I don't have to tell you what he goes on to find in Georgia, do I?
    The story also revolves around a manipulative, unscrupulous and talentles hack of a writer, a Jewish woman of about thirty who's living in an artist's colony. The only reason she's allowed to stay there (She's a hack and it's a moderately prestigious colony that is selective of its residents) is because she's in a relationship with the colony owner's son. She secretly harbors the Japanese kid, because she happens to be working on a short story about a suicidal Japanese woman and wants to "experience" a Japanese person firsthand. Yes.

It's a page turner as well as a thought provoker, which is rare. Worth multiple readings, first for the enjoyable plot and second for the layers and expansions of ideas.

• Epileptic LeeEpileptic Lee Registered User
    edited January 2005
    Beckett - Waiting for Godot

short synopsis

• KaedisKaedis Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    So many great books listed, so many to check out.

Sci-Fi
    Star-Ship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
    No, it is absolutely nothing like the movie. The movie was bombastic with overdone imagery of propaganda and filled with mindless cruelty and bad acting. As a matter of fact, the movie is the polar opposite of the book.

The book was about the author's views of the military and society and why they work the way they do (or how he thinks they should work). The violence has meaning, and much of the book centers on the main character's changing views as he rises through the ranks.

I read this just before I entered basic training and so much that his character goes through and observes came back to me throughout my tour of duty.

If you are interested in writing a sci-fi military novel, it is a must read.

• TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    im not at home so i cant stare at my mini-library while i do this...

non sci/fantasy books:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - amazingly moving and beautiful book.
    The Old Man and the Sea Ernest Hemingway

sci/fantasy:

Rogue Squadren Series assorted authors in the starwars universe.
    Magic Kingdomg for Sale Sold Series Terry Brooks
    Shannara Series Terry Brooks

i support everything said about Terry Pratchett, he is freakin genius, as is Douglas Adams, the Redwall series is brilliant as well. i have read almost every starwars novel up til early 2000 where they started to suck, but Rogue Squadren has been my favorite series in all of them. [/i]

-Tavataar
  • Cave MonsterCave Monster Registered User
    edited February 2005
    Everything by Richard Brautigan
    Godel Escher Bach-Douglas Hoefstaedter
    Pale Fire- Vladimir Nabokov
    The Club of Queer Trades- GK Chesterton
    The Woman in the Dune + Box Man- both by Kobo Abe
    The sailor who fell from grace with the sea-Yukio Mishima
    Monkey- Wu Ch'Eng-En
    If on a Winter's Night a Traveller- Italo Calvino

The stars are prettyLet's go there.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    I dont know if anyone has posted this but:
    "The Dark Tower" Steven King

I admit I've only finished 6 of the 7 books but i cant really imagine how he could possibly fuck up the last one and regardless the first 6 are a the best story I have ever read.

steam_sig.png
    I have a graphic design and illustration BLOG sometimes what I put on that blog turns into SHIRTS often those shirts are failed attempts at woot derby entries: Joy Buzzer
  • TyrantOfPantsTyrantOfPants Registered User
    edited February 2005
    The majority of what I've read for novels has been mentioned here, but I do read tons of poetry. And here's what I've been into recently.

"Who Are We Now" - Lawrence Ferlinghetti
    "Heaven and Earth: A Cosmology" - Albert Goldbarth
    Anything Pablo Neruda

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    "Sewer, Gas and Electric" by Matt Ruff.

Description:

Sewer, Gas & Electric is the exuberant follow-up to Matt Ruff's cult classic and critically acclaimed debut Fool on the Hill. High above Manhattan android and human steelworkers are constructing a new Tower of Babel for billionaire Harry Gant, as a monument to humanity's power to dream. In the festering sewers below a darker game is afoot: a Wall Street takeover artist has been murdered, and Gant's crusading ex-wife, Joan Fine, has been hired to find out why. The year is 2023, and Ayn Rand has been resurrected and bottled in a hurricane lamp to serve as Joan's assistant; an eco-terrorist named Philo Dufrense travels in a pink-and-green submarine designed by Howard Hughes; a Volkswagen Beetle is possessed by the spirit of Abbie Hoffman; Meisterbrau, a mutant great white shark, is running loose in the sewers beneath Times Square; and a one-armed 181-year-old Civil War veteran joins Joan and Ayn in their quest for the truth. All of whom, and many more besides, are caught up in a vast conspiracy involving Walt Disney, J. Edgar Hoover, and a mob of homicidal robots.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • shaerishaeri Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Drez wrote:
    A Game of Thrones by: George R. R. Martin
    A Clash of Kings by: George R. R. Martin
    A Storm of Swords by: George R. R. Martin

I ordered his "latest" book about 2 years ago on chapters site, god damit, one day I should really cancel that and get my money back. Alas but I am also very lazy.

edited March 2005
    Alkilith wrote:
    Elric of Melnibone- Michael Moorcock
    (7 book series)

Robert J. Sawyer-

Frameshift
    Calculating God
    Flashforward

Neanderthal Parallax
    1. Hominids
    2. Humans
    3. Hybrids

Yeah someone mentioned Moorcock! Finally, I love his books.

edited March 2005
    Jack Vance: Fun SciFi

• B34NB34N Registered User
    edited March 2005
    If you like Jack Kerouac, I suggest The Dharma Bums as well, I thought it was better than On the Road.

Also, if you like fantasy or Harry Potter, check out Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. It was fantastic.

clipboard013yy.jpg
  • bakaHeadbakaHead Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Stanley Donwood

www.slowlydownward.com

I really like this story:

http://www.slowlydownward.com/con.html

What do you do? You laugh you know. I'm not saying I don't cry but in between you laugh I realize its silly to take everything so seriously.
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    boddah wrote:
    150cc wrote:
    All should read Flannery O'Connor's short stories. This is the epitome of character development.

AN EXCELLENT BOOK BY THIS AUTHOR IS ENTITLED "WISE BLOOD."

IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES.

wiseblood is fantastic.

other titles (with some authors i might remember) i lump in with that classic:

Cats Cradle (chocolate double-dipped kurt vonnegut)
    The Movie Goer
    all Paul Bowles (shelter sky especially)
    and Naked Lunch (burroughs)
    oh f me...i forgot this guy:
    Raymond Carver. every single story this man wrote is beautiful. every sentence. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love is a good start.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • NadreckNadreck Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Most authors and books that I would suggest have already been suggested (this is good!), but I do have a few that either haven't been mentioned, or that I missed noticing:

Fiction:
    M. John Harrison, Light
    Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light
    Samuel R. Delaney, Dhalgren

Non-fiction:
    Ursula K. LeGuin, Steering the Craft
    A.D. Coleman, Critical Focus, Depth of Field
    Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing
    Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones

Sites of Interest:
    Science Fiction and Fantasy Writer's Association
    Neil Gaiman's Blog

gr0k.
  • FileClerkFileClerk Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Fiction:

The Caves of Steel, by Isaac Asimov
    Legend, by David Gemmell
    The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold

Non-Fiction:

Bobby Fischer Goes to War, by David Edmonds and John Eidinow
    Chaos, by James Gleick
    Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, by Jack Weatherford
    The Pelopponesian War, by Donald Kagan

Classic:

Musashi, by Eiji Yoshikawa
    To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
    The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster

FC
  • AxissillianAxissillian Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Greatest Novel ever written.

Blindness by Jose Saramago - Second greatest novel ever written.

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

The Sea of Fertility Cycle (Spring Snow, Runaway Horses, The Temple of Dawn, and The Decay of the Angel) by Yukio Mishima

A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe

Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata

"Incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal." - Carlos Fuentes "Terra Nostra"
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Currently reading Steve Brust - Gypsy

and it is damn good. Bought To Reign in Hell by the same guy and have high hopes.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • gravityswitchgravityswitch Registered User
    edited April 2005
    SciFi/Fantasy:
    Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (+ the other 4 books in the Hitchhiker trilogy)
    Piers Anthony, the Xanth novels
    T.A. Barron, The Lost Years of Merlin Books 1-5
    Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game (book 1)
    Orson Scott Card, Speaker for the Dead (2)
    Orson Scott Card, Xenocide (3)
    Orson Scott Card, Children of the Mind (4)
    Orson Scott Card, Ender's Shadow (5/1)
    Orson Scott Card, Shadow of the Hegemon (6/2)
    Orson Scott Card, Shadow Puppets (7/3)
    Orson Scott Card, Shadow of the Giant (8/4)
    Orson Scott Card, First Meetings
    Orson Scott Card, Songmaster
    Orson Scott Card, Pastwatch
    Orson Scott Card, Enchantment
    Orson Scott Card, Lost Boys
    Anne McCaffery, The Dragonriders of Pern
    Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass
    Philip Pullman, The Subtle Knife
    Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass
    J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter...
    T.H. White, The Once and Future King

Fiction:
    Julia Alvarez, In the Time of the Butterflies
    Holly Black, Tithe
    Orson Scott Card, An Open Book (poetry)
    Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
    Joseph Conrad, The Heart of Darkness
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude
    Sheri Reynolds, The Rapture of Canaan
    Jose Saramago, Blindness
    Bram Stoker, Dracula
    Amy Tan, The Joy Luck Club
    Amy Tan, The Kitchen God's Wife
    Amy Tan, The Hundred Secret Senses
    Amy Tan, The Bonesetter's Daughter

Non-fiction:
    Richard Preston, The Hot Zone
    Anelli Rufus, Party of One
    The New York Times Press, Writers on Writing Vol. 1 & 2

Manga/Graphic Novels (series):
    Hiromu Arakawa, Full Metal Alchemist
    Nanae Chrono, Peacemaker Kurogane
    CLAMP, Tsubasa
    Tite Kubo, Bleach
    Kazuya Minekura, Saiyuki
    Daisuki Moriyama, Chrno Crusade
    Maki Murakami, Gravitation
    Yasuhiro Nightow, Trigun
    Yu Watase, Fushigi Yugi
    Nobuhiro Watsuki, Rurouni Kenshin

• JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    ^^ Awesome choices in literature and I would really like to add to the on going list of good novels
    SciFi/Fantasy
    Fred Saberhagen, Book of the Gods Pt.1/2
    Jane Yolen, The Pit Dragon Trilogy
    David Farland, The Runelords (and its many Sequels in order) The Brotherhood of the Wolf WizardBorn The Lair of Bones
    Fiction
    James Clavell, Shogun
    James Clavell, Noble House

sorry if some of these are reposts!

• Red OktoberRed Oktober Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Rather than repeat any of the (many many) good suggestions here, I present some more.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig
    A good and very accessible philosophy book, on the value of everything.

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
    Simply a fantastic book.

Practically anything by Iain Banks or his sci-fi alter-ego Iain M Banks.
    Especially The Player of Games, Consider Phlebas and above all Against a Dark Background

I've seen 1984 mentioned, but not Down and Out in Paris and London, an autobiography of George Orwell's time living on or below the poverty line in those two cities.

Onto Graphic Novels

I've seen Neil Gaiman mentioned a couple of times, but not his absolutely stunning graphic novel series Sandman.

I really cannot praise this enough, it really must be read, and allow yourself to read the first few sections before putting it down.

And of course, the indispensable Akira series of graphic novels. A true example of what can be done with the genre.

Enjoy!

edited April 2005
    Fantasy

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny: From the tales of Corwin on to his son Merlin, tied for first as my favorite series of all time with:
    The Elric Saga: Michael Moorcock also A Nomad of the Time Streams, Von Bek, The Eternal Champion...
    The Dark Elf Trilogy: RA Salvatore
    The Myth Inc. Series: Robert Asprin Funny, funny stuff.

Sci-Fi

Neuromancer: William Gibson
    God's Dice: S. Andrew Swann an amazing book on so many levels, and very personally relevant to my own theories of the universe.
    Dune: Frank Herbert
    The Wild Cards Series: Hard to believe this was missed, one of the most fantastic and realistic views of superhumans in a modern world outside the comics arena.
    The Dungeon, Riverworld: Philip Jose Farmer note he created the Dungeon world, each book is written by a different author.

Thrillers

Anything by Andrew Vachss: Defines the term "gritty". Flood, Strega and all the other Burke books are must reads, also highly recommend his Batman novelization The Ultimate Evil, which brought an unprecedented level of realism to the Dark Knight mythos, if such a thing can be said.
    The Footprints of God: Greg Iles
    Dark Rivers of the Heart: Dean Koontz
    The Da Vinci Code: Dan Brown

Graphic Novels/Comics/Manga

The Dark Knight Returns (but not DK2), Sin City, 300: Frank Miller
    The Books of Magic: DC Comics
    Grendel: Matt Wagner
    Mage:Matt Wagner
    Astro City: Kurt Busiek
    Arrowsmith: Kurt Busiek
    The Authority: Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch
    Planetary: Warren Ellis
    Transmetropolitan: Warren Ellis
    Preacher: Garth Ennis
    Maus: Art Spiegelman
    V for Vendetta: Alan Moore
    The Watchmen: Alan Moore
    Hellblazer
    Full Metal Alchemist: Hiroaki Arakawa
    Bleach: Tite Kubo
    Hellsing: Hiroaki Samura avoid the adapted anime at all costs
    Naruto: Kishimoto Masashi do see the anime

Non Fiction

The Power of Myth, Occidental Mythology: The Masks of God, The Hero with a Thousand Faces: Joseph Campbell
    A Short History of Nearly Everything: Bill Bryson
    Hagakure The Book of the Samurai: Yamamoto Tsunetomo, as translated by William Scott Wilson
    A Book of Five Rings: Miyamoto Musashi, as translated by Thomas Cleary
    The Art of War: Sun Tzu
    Ancient Mysteries: Peter James and Nick Thorpe

• clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Finally someone mentioned Zelazny!

Fantasy
    Anything by Roger Zelazny
    The Saga of Recluse - L. E. Modesitt
    The Riftwar Saga - Raymond E. Feist

Sci-Fi
    Pattern Recognition - William Gibson
    The Forever War / Forever Free / Forever Peace - Joe Haldeman

• disquieterdisquieter Registered User
    edited April 2005
    20th Century Philosophy that Will Blow Your Mind and Give You Something to Say
    Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by: Ludwig Wittgenstein
    The Logic of Scientific Discovery by: Karl R. Popper
    Naming and Necessity by: Saul A. Kripke
    The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge by: Jean-Francois Lyotard
    Consciousness Explained by: Daniel C. Dennett
    Warranted Christian Belief by: Alvin Plantinga

• Mr. GoodtripsMr. Goodtrips Registered User
    edited April 2005
    I've liked Charles Bukowski's novels for quite a while now. Recently, however, I decided to give his poetry a go. It's pretty fucking good. The anthology I'm currently reading is called You Get So Alone At Times That it Just Makes Sense.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FancyPantsFancyPants Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Ok, some may be duplicates. Just want to contribute without reading all five pages of book lists.

Specific books/series:
    Hitchhikers Guide (5 books) Douglas Adams
    Dark Tower (7 books) Stephen King
    Chronicles of Thomas Covenent (1 , 2 and 3 being written - 7 books so far) Stephen R. Donaldson
    Mirror of her dreams (2 books) Stephan R Donaldson
    Dragonrider books (many books, haven't read them all) Anne McCaffrey
    Myst Trilogy, don't know the author(s) off hand
    Chronicles of Narnia (7 books) CS Lewis
    Incarnations series (6 books?) Piers Anthongy (before he started doing erotic fiction)
    Dune series (don't know how many) Frank Herbert
    Wrinkle in Time Series (4 books) Madeleine L'Engle
    The EarthSea series (3 books?) Ursula K. Le Guin
    A Canticle for Lebewitz, Walter M. Miller Jr.
    The Stranger, Albert Camus
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Most anything by this list:
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Niel Gaimon
    Edward Albee
    Samual Beckett
    Raymond Carver
    Samuel Beckett
    Ernest Hemingway
    Kate Chopin
    Moliere
    August Strindberg
    Tennessee Williams
    Aurther Miller
    Milton
    Christopher Marlow
    Henrik Ibsen
    Adom Duritz
    Joseph Conrad
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Nathanial Hawthorne
    Shirly Jackson
    Franz Kafka
    Joyce Carol Oates
    Flannery O'Connor
    Amy Tan
    John Updike
    Guy de Maupassant
    Ugene Ionesco
    Carl Jung
    Joseph Campbell
    Orsen Wells
    George Orwell

darsig.jpg
  • TrotskyTrotsky Registered User
    edited May 2005
    My reading has really been limited to non-fiction lately, with school and all:

Marx- Read Marx, not Capital but anything before the 1848 Communist Manifesto. In the early stuff Marx was much more applicable and a bit more open to being understood. Any Marx, however, will give a different viewpoint from which to understand the world.

Michael Harrington- An American Socialist (you can see what classes I took this semester) who was influential in the Democratic party and the advancement of American Marxism. Speaking American by Robert Gorman (a teacher of mine) is a great read and a good all-around introduction to the nooks and crannies of Marxism.

Seymour Martin Lipset's Political Man is a look at what conditions foster democracy. A bit outdated, but worth a read if you enjoy the mechancis behind successful democracy.

Henry Rollin's Smile, you're traveling is a great read, Rollins in the late 1990s and his travels around the world, and on tour. Any written Rollins is good though. Especially Get in the Van his history of his years with Black Flag. A great read (or listen, it's on audio too) this is music at the bottom, no Smoking Gun Tour Riders here. The early '80s Punk scene was tough.

Farley Mowat and E.B. Sledge's two memiors of WWII And No Birds Sang and With the Old Breed. There are many good memiors out there, but these two shine. War sucks, and both chronicle the patriotic sending off to the utter horror and finally, numbness. No grand strategy here, both men hardly knew what was going on beyond sqaud level. Next time you fire up Call of Duty you may think harder about it.

Finally, Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World is a good introduction to the debunking of psuedo-science. If you are interested in UFO, Ghosts, and other things like I am this is a great counter balance.

Ramming Attack is for Heroes!
  • ShannowShannow Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Any of David gemmels stuff, its all pretty much awsome, allthough i suggest you start with legend or sword in the storm.

He did manage to contradict himself in consecutive sentences. That's not easy. When it comes to nonsense, he's rolling 20s. The Essence of Shannow
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Saga of Recluce - LE Modesitt, Jr.
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit - JRR Tolkein
    America: The Book - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
    Lies and Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right - Al Franken
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    1984 - George Orwell
    A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
    Candide - Voltaire

metroid_sig.jpg
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Kind of historical fiction, but really great reads:
    Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
    Sarum: The Novel of England by Edward Rutherford
    Russka: The Novel of Russia by Edward Rutherford

I'm very fond of Rutherford's historical fiction. I've read Sarum four times now, and it seems to get better with each read through. With so much information and history in the book, it stays fresh with each read. I could only find Russka in hardcover, and it's a thousand pages and a bit, so I'm waiting until my wrists heal up, I like reading laying down, before rereading it.

3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books are interesting and fun gritty scifi pulp. There are three (only two available in the US so far)-- Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies. The first two are available in the US and England, the third is only available in England currently.

The Halo novels are actually supposed to be pretty good. I read the first one and found it pretty interesting and fun. Again, it is more pulpy action than anything deep, but it is interesting.

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.