Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let Us Disect the Wonderful World of Television Advertising

VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable!Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Singularity Engine++
From Public Service Announcements:

To the odd, low-budget gems:

To big-budget, major-branded awesomeness:

Let us discuss the best, the worst, and the most memorable of television ad spots. And, if we're feeling academic, we might even fit some words about what works and what doesn't in advertising.

Vivixenne on
·

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    Gotta throw in the NPH love:

·
  • PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Countdown until Macera posts those scaremongering pest control adverts.
    With rad creature designs.

·
  • scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    Holy shit that no excuses ad is really good.

·
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

Manipulating people's emoitons in a political campaign like this is bullshit, but that doesn't mean it can't be pretty damn effective.

Flay on
    ·
    Holy shit that no excuses ad is really good.

it is one of my favourite ads of all. time.

·
    in the uk we had some really really fucked up alcohol + safety vids

also remember those canadian health + safety vids

·
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Haha yes the Nutrigrain
    None of my family gets it

·
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    I was always thought this one was good (excuse the subtitles, other versions tend to explain too much in the title for forum purposes):

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    ·
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Good idea for a thread. Australia thread providing good ideas!

Not actual ads, but I just linked in in the auspax thread so may as well here too:

9Xnmvna.jpg
    ·
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    im already sick of "you know i cant eat your ghost chips bru"

·
  • GoatmonGoatmon You Are An Experience Make Sure You're a Good ExperienceRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:

That is pretty cool.

wcB194V.gif
    ·
    I can't find a better quality version of this ad, but it is easily the worst PSA I've ever seen. EVER.

·
  • GatsbyGatsby ElsewhereRegistered User regular
    I still really like this ad

Steam ID
    Friend Code: 2766 - 9202 - 0140
    ·
    edited November 2011
    Goatmon wrote:
    Vivixenne wrote:

That is pretty cool.

Yeah it was linked in the AusPAX thread and the ensuing discussion made me wonder if it was worth its own thread.

But this PSA has all the hallmarks of a memorable and effective ad.

No scare tactics, so it makes it honest.

No preaching... instead it just presents a situation we can all relate to, which means we are more likely to follow its advice.

A touch of humor and some really quotable lines, so that it's memorable and we're more likely to share and watch it.

And best of all a non-patronising tip of the hat to someone doing the right thing (as opposed to slamming someone doing the WRONG thing, which never works with young people).

It's awesome.

Vivixenne on
    ·
    Vivixenne wrote:
    I can't find a better quality version of this ad, but it is easily the worst PSA I've ever seen. EVER.

ugh

9Xnmvna.jpg
    ·
    I'd almost throw money down that the situation in that Harmless PSA has NEVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE. EVER.

·
  • BedlamBedlam Badlum's Replace Is feel unwellRegistered User regular
    Cold steel blades ads. If you like to see a fat dude cut through clothing items filled with meat, youve come to the right place.

·
    who smokes weed in some musty old library study anyway

9Xnmvna.jpg
    ·
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 Yeah, I know, I missed Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Bringing this over from the Aus thread
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Yeah, I believe the effects of shock ads was discussed on the Gruen Transfer a few seasons back, I imagine a lot of people block those out because of their imagery

imagery can be one reason

but more than anything it's usually that people don't like being patronized or lectured at, doubly so by people they don't know

nameless middle-aged white dude in an ad telling me what to do? pffffft

it's like me and Blake having a discussion about something and some random dude we don't know suddenly leaning over and going "by the way, HE'S right"

all that does is make me more determined to BE right (and less likely to listen to reason) just to get this guy to leave me alone and go the fuck away

not to mention our conversation from that point is going to be more about what a JERK that random self-righteous dude was... rather than us continuing our discussion

plus, most PSA ads fail on a very basic level: they not only refuse to understand WHY people do the shit they're telling you not to do, they also don't address the reason why OTHER people don't take action or speak up or, you know, why PSAs don't work

Yeah, it definitely can't be narrowed down to just one thing. Also, there's something amusing about these kind of PSAs

Even if their heart is in the right place

PaperLuigi44 on
    ·
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:
    I'd almost throw money down that the situation in that Harmless PSA has NEVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE. EVER.

Well this one time, when I was fourteen, I broke into my dad's study to show my friend around. My dad was the mayor and the chief of police at the time. He liked books and overstuffed furniture and also unsecured loaded firearms

Anyway long story short I murdered this friend and then claimed my grip on reality had been weakened by all the reefer I'd been smoking

Although it might have been all that acid I took

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    ·
    L|ama wrote:

ive just seen/heard this and i find it really funny

is it an old/tired thing???

·
    man Donatello's right

drug dealers are dorks.

·
  • GoatmonGoatmon You Are An Experience Make Sure You're a Good ExperienceRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Yeah it was linked in the AusPAX thread and the ensuing discussion made me wonder if it was worth its own thread.

But this PSA has all the hallmarks of a memorable and effective ad.

No scare tactics, so it makes it honest.

No preaching... instead it just presents a situation we can all relate to, which means we are more likely to follow its advice.

A touch of humor and some really quotable lines, so that it's memorable and we're more likely to share and watch it.

And best of all a non-patronising tip of the hat to someone doing the right thing (as opposed to slamming someone doing the WRONG thing, which never works with young people).

It's awesome.

Yeah, the whole problem of "How do I do the right thing while still being cool?" is something just about any kid is going to have to deal with sooner or later.

It's really awesome that they did that.

wcB194V.gif
    ·
    Some of my favourite ads:

·
    Beasteh wrote:
    L|ama wrote:

well the ad is from new zealand

so I reckon it's been quoted to DEATH over there

being that llama's from new zealand, etc

·
  • GatsbyGatsby ElsewhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    This is my favourite piece of advertisement ever

Gatsby on
    Steam ID
    Friend Code: 2766 - 9202 - 0140
    ·
    Also it tickles me how half the PSA is just the kid's drunken imagination over what could go wrong if he doesn't step in.

wcB194V.gif
    ·
  • Crimson KingCrimson King we need no grave to bury honesty there's not a grain of it the face to sweeten of the whole dungy earthRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    L|ama wrote:

it's the kind of thing that in new zealand would gain immediate memetic status

see also IM BEACHED BRU

DS: 4742 - 6001 - 2106 add me to your friend safaris
    ·
    Oh, also

·

The Panda Cheese commercials are glorious.

wcB194V.gif
    ·
    edited November 2011
    also this amused me, because Simon Baker is Australian but is famous for an American TV show:

Vivixenne on
    ·
    edited November 2011
    Also, I guess this is a good enough place for those Thai Insurance ads.

This one always gets to me. Given the absoultely miserable relationship I have with my father (who is a pretty horrible person) it probably hits me a lot harder than it should.

Goatmon on
    wcB194V.gif
    ·
    Oh, also

this reminded me of my second favourite ad ever

·
    damn those thai insurance ads for making my eyes leak a little

9Xnmvna.jpg
    ·
    Vivixenne wrote:
    this reminded me of my second favourite ad ever

I remember this one! Good times.

And Gatsby, that Walker ad looks impressive, but it halts at the 2:24 minute mark for me.

·