Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Good beginner books for Blender

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to learn the open-share 3D animation program Blender, but am unsure of where to start. I spent the better part of my evening yesterday scavenging the Internet for different books, but I can't seem to decide on a good one.

My first look was on their official website, but it seems from customer reviews they're more of a glorified sales-pitch in text instead of a thorough hands on approach. I then checked out Blender for Dummies, but heard it was actually a bit confusing/conflicting to read and I'm already familiar with the Dummies series (not a terribly positive experience). There were a few other books I checked out, but a good chunk of them seemed geared towards intermediate or expert levels.

The one book I decided on is titled:

Beginning Blender: Open Source 3D Modeling, Animation, and Game Design by Lance Flavell

It seems like the best book for me, but the cheapest they have it anywhere is in the upper $80 range, and it'll go as high as $300! There's no way I have that kind of cash to burn, but I'll commit if it's worth it. They have a kindle/e-book version but im not generally a fan of those; besides, I'm only really allowed to read books at work and e-books aren't allowed.

There are online videos all over the place, but the quality and consistency of those are erratic at best, and it doesnt give you a clear-cut directive or incentive to follow through.

Anyone here use Blender and could give any good beginner book recommendations?

0WBv0.png