As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The all new, terribly distressing dream thread!

• MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    Riale wrote: »
    Pony wrote:
    what really sucks is when your brain decides to combine horrible nightmares with false awakening

that's a fucking circle of hell, right there

yeah, that kind of crap can just go fuck off. Seriously. It feels like you're stuck in some psychotic film you can't escape. The worst part is how episodes like that usually leave me feeling not rested at all. It's like, what was the point of going to bed? Because now I just got to experience a bunch of bad shit and I still feel tired.

kind of reminds me of http://www.powernapcomic.com/

ducklett.gif
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Mizuumi wrote:
    man lucid dreaming sounds cool

looking back on my dreams they always seem like they're pretty much auto-pilot, but that's my conscious self looking back on hazy memories of an unconscious world that i'm pretty sure was fairly vivid and detailed, so i think i might have more control than i give myself credit for. still nothing where i'd definitely say i knew i was dreaming and (sub???)consciously manipulated that fact. except i was aware of when the ocean in my dream was suddenly a desert, though whether i actually knew it was a dream i'm not sure. i think it was maybe something like what weaver said:
    Weaver wrote: »
    Mine are self correcting. If I run into something in the dream that draws my attention to the dream, I'm briefly aware that I'm dreaming, just long enough for the problem to correct itself and allow the story to continue. Then back to cruise control.

I'm fine with letting my dreams take their course. I very very rarely ever have night terrors or sleep paralysis or nasty dreams anymore. They're vivid and fantastic and wild and fun. Last night I was traipsing through the Italian countryside with my lady and it felt real.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Had one about two or three months ago, boating in some Louisiana marshland with folk I knew back in my early 20's. Mosquitoes were horrible.

• RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    I haven't lucid dreamed in a while, but my dreams tend to be really awesome without it

I can usually do at least something cool, but I'm never like "oh this must be a dream" these days

I've often wondered what it is about dreams that makes us not question them
    like a duck could fart its way inside the space shuttle you're on and kick the pilot in the face and say WE'RE GOING TO THAILAND FUCKERS and then ram the joystick through the floor

and all you'd think is "oh no do I have a passport that's good for thailand"

instead of your brain exploding from everything that's going on

IS there a name for the process where we just accept everything that's going on in a dream as normal?

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Gatsby's dreams often involve me in some way....

...creepy

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I didn't know people actually had false-awakenings let alone had them regularly, I always thought they were just a cliche. Weird.

Flay on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    one time I dreamed I was in a classroom

I looked around and saw my desk lamp sitting on a table

then a hand came out of nowhere and turned it off, plunging me into darkness

then I woke up and discovered I'd left my lamp on and the bulb burned out

• maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    I've had false awakenings. Problem is, I can from time to time have these freakishly detailed dreams, so I literally don't know if I'm awake or asleep, even if I'm aware at the time that I'm *probably* asleep. So I have this "is this the real one" moments and then bam! I wake up. But I'm still asleep. I usually do this four or five times until I wake up for real.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Every time I try to read text in a dream goes exactly like that Batman episode where Mad Hatter has him in a dream world and the text falls apart when he tries to read it

complete with my horrified reaction and everyone else in the dream totally not noticing anything wrong

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Are we still on really disturbing dreams? I could list a whole bunch of these since I have them really regularly but last night's was of some crazy guy ripping the arms off everyone on a train I was on (in the dream).

Then I realised the crazy guy was me and I woke up.

This is fairly standard for my dreams.

I have some other really interesting but not exactly disturbing reocurring dreams that I have every so often. One is about every 2 months, the other I've had about twice a year for maybe 9 years now. Some of them are exactly the same, and some of them are a little different every time. One of them changes the people in the dream as my friends have changed (so people I don't see as much anymore are replaced by new friends I've met recently, etc), there was even an extra spot in the dream for the three years I was dating my ex, then the first time I had it after that there wasn't anyone in that place.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    Gatsby's dreams often involve me in some way....

...sexy

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I once dreamed I was Antonio Banderes in Mask of Zorro in a fever dream while that movie was playing on TV.

It was SUPER rad.

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    I haven't lucid dreamed in a while, but my dreams tend to be really awesome without it

I can usually do at least something cool, but I'm never like "oh this must be a dream" these days

I've often wondered what it is about dreams that makes us not question them
    like a duck could fart its way inside the space shuttle you're on and kick the pilot in the face and say WE'RE GOING TO THAILAND FUCKERS and then ram the joystick through the floor

and all you'd think is "oh no do I have a passport that's good for thailand"

instead of your brain exploding from everything that's going on

IS there a name for the process where we just accept everything that's going on in a dream as normal?

there probably is because

if you showed a two-year old kid that you could fly, he would be stoked, but it wouldn't be crazy to him because grownups do all kinds of crazy things like cook and shave and drive cars

but if you showed your mom the same trick she would die

thenews.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    today my dream was of a giant sherlock holmes appearing near a city. it was because of the fog

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    Last night I dreamed I was fighting protoman

also I've always been able to read text in dreams but I think it's because when I read I read big clumps of text and just kind of snatch out meaning instead of individual words so I don't have to build the whole words

the last time we had a thread about lucid dreaming somebody came in pissing all over it, all "Lucid Dreaming is BORING!! I've done it and it's not so great"

and I thought jesus christ that has the be the perfect litmus test for a boring person, if you find a personal universe of limitless possibility and creation to be some boring ol bullshit

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I got home from work the other day and stripped down to a pair of shorts and tshirt and took a quick nap on my bed. I woke up to my sister was trying to wake me up telling me something happened to mom and dad and that we needed to go. I figured out it was a dream without moving because I was wearing a sweatshirt all of a sudden and I never do that. I told her that this was a dream and she needed to back the fuck off and let me sleep and that she would have to hit me in the face for it not to be a dream.

Basically I just prevented inception.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I find if I fall asleep with the TV on, bits of the shows playing in the background will seep into whatever dream I'm having. Few weeks ago I guess I fell asleep with Adult Swim on, because I distinctly recall Hank Hill showing up in the dream (I couldn't tell you what happened, I've forgotten the dream at this point).

Anyone have dreams that are 'silent' as there's no sound, but you still act and think in the dream like you can hear people talking and sounds going on around you, but you don't actually hear anything and when you go to speak you can't (sometimes. mostly in nightmares)?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Every time I try to read text in a dream goes exactly like that Batman episode where Mad Hatter has him in a dream world and the text falls apart when he tries to read it

complete with my horrified reaction and everyone else in the dream totally not noticing anything wrong
    I read things in dreams perfectly, myself

also, I've died in dreams

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    last night I dreamed I was accused of being an arms dealer in a media blitz and had to go on the run

my father texted me to say "haha that's awesome lemme send you some cash so you can get me some bombs"

then I evaded the police and got on a bus and they had a picture of me to identify me but I scrunched up my face so they didn't make the connection

0BnD8l3.gif
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've dreampt in claymation before. Not Nightmare Before Christmas level but like old-timey dinosaur movie claymation.

A monster dream with awful special effects.

• SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    slept like shiiiiiiiiiiiit

I'm not sure how many times I woke up and fell back to sleep

it seemed like my train of thought carried through dreams and waking up and dreaming again

DKFA7.gif
    TankHammer wrote:
    I've dreampt in claymation before. Not Nightmare Before Christmas level but like old-timey dinosaur movie claymation.

A monster dream with awful special effects.
    I had a monster dream where I was stuck in a mall with donkey kong chasing me.

edited November 2011
    oh also I had a dream last night where I was a spooky skeleton wizard

lemme tell you it is so depressing to wake up in the morning and realize that you are not in fact a spooky skeleton wizard

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    The technical term is Lich, Dichotomy.

my people consider that a slur

0BnD8l3.gif
    Woops I'm racist against Dungeons and or Dragons.

• SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Son of a Lich

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I virtually never have nightmares (which I'm grateful for), only last night was an exception:

I was in a house in a forest with something that looked mostly human but wasn't quite - it was too tall and its skin was too mangled. There was no colour, only shades of grey. Near the house there was a narrow tunnel in a unnaturally flat stone surface, with perfectly smooth walls and pitch black inside. The human thing had found it long before I arrived, and they'd gone inside only to find it terminated a few meters in. The wall at the other end was warm. We lived in the house for a long time, reading in the library and exploring the forest, but occaisonally we would return to the tunnel to find it had grown taller which worried us (I get the feeling we were supposed to be watching it). Occaisonally we would enter the tunnel again, and each time the back of the tunnel grew further away from the entrance, and each time the trip took longer and longer until we walked in absolute blackness for hours at a time.

It's difficult to explain exactly why this was really disturbing without sound or images, but I still have some extremely vivid pictures in my head.

Flay on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Lucid dreaming is awesome because there's some horrible nightmare happening and you're like, "Wwwwwwait a minute, axe-wielding zombie version of my mom: I'm fucking out of here."

Then you spend the rest of the dream dipping in and out of clouds, flying at high speed.

A few nights ago I dreamt my sister had somehow reverted to being 6 years old and we had to take acid together for a research experiment.

• CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    Lucid dreaming is the best thing ever. Fucking flying, man. It's always so disappointing when you wake up and it's like oh yeah I don't have control over the real world, I'm not invincible and I can't fly.

I had a pretty cool Silent Hill inspired dream last night. I have a dream journal that's gotten very long but I've been too busy to update it recently, I really need to get on that.

Anyone else keep a dream journal?

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    If I ever manage to seize the reins of a dream without fail my brain decides the show is over and I wake up.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    In the past week and a half I've dreamed twice about my best friends fiancé trying to attack/kill/yell at me

I do not know why

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I want more sex dreams.

The more fantastic and impossible the better.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    In the past week and a half I've dreamed twice about my best friends fiancé trying to attack/kill/yell at me

I do not know why

She's stealing your friend from you!

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

I read things in dreams perfectly, myself

also, I've died in dreams

I die in dreams all the time

One of the worst dreams I've ever had ended with me being shot in the head, execution-style
    The shot itself hurt like a bitch for the briefest instant, but the worst part was the moment or two of complete silence and blackness that followed

The emptiness terrified me

• MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    I had a dream a while ago where it was pretty obvious that things were about to get bad

so I hit the hot key sequence to exit warcraft 3 and woke up

xet8c.gif
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote:
    If I ever manage to seize the reins of a dream without fail my brain decides the show is over and I wake up.

Hmm. Maybe try spinning in place?