As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] 2nd Annual Boston GLBTQA Gamer Meetup! UPDATED 2/23/2012!

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    It's NEVER too early for karaoke.

...okay, yeah, most places don't do karaoke in the afternoon.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    I will be a bit far away (2.7 miles from conv center), but I will be able to make it!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    In. So In.

• sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    @Themiscyra I would prefer option A, but if necessary option B. Just don't want anyone to deal with finance issues if something goes wrong.
    As far as distance goes I think walking distance would be best considering you are going to win every round of the Omegathon and will have to schedule around that.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of LGBT owned businesses in Boston?

sofreshsodarryl on
    So! I have some good news: I talked with Darius Kazemi at Bocoup tonight, and he said they might be able to give us the use of their loft. It's about a five minute walk from South Station so it should be pretty easy to get to.

The downside of that is that they don't have food on site - we'd probably have to arrange catering or order pizza or something. I'll likely ask for help arranging that, and input on the menus is more than welcome. But this should give us a nice, dedicated space to meet and mingle without having to deal with huge crowds.

As for timing, it occurred to me that I am trying to open this event to non-attendees as well (just because there are several GLBTQA gamers in the area who aren't going, for whatever reason) and that might mean shifting it to more of an after five deal so people have time to make it from work to the meetup. Something like 6 to 9 or 7 to 10 might work better. Obviously we're not going to be able to accommodate everyone, but I'd like to accommodate as many people as possible. I guess an evening event would mostly run up against the concerts, and possibly some later panels...personally, I'm willing to skip the Friday night concerts, but I don't know about the rest of you.

Obviously we'll wait to finalize all this until the schedule hits and we know exactly what's happening when. But that's where we stand now. I did speak with someone else who said we might be able to get some space at her university, and the restaurant option is still open, but Bocoup's "hacker loft" is really appealing to me.

• sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Themiscyra wrote:
    So! I have some good news: I talked with Darius Kazemi at Bocoup tonight, and he said they might be able to give us the use of their loft. It's about a five minute walk from South Station so it should be pretty easy to get to.

This sounds perfect! Bocoup is a nerd-centric venue so I think we would fit in quite well. Maybe we can even get a Rock Band set up!

I think an evening time slot would be best. Something that ends before 9 so it doesn't interfere with the big night-time parties.

So what does everyone else think?

Actually, that may be a good idea. Let me dig out my PAX schedule from last year...

Okay so I can't find it. If I recall though, the Screening Blocks and concerts started around 9, so if we wanted to do like 5:30 to 8:30 or 6 to 9, that would be plenty of time for travel to go back and see that stuff.

As for menus/catering, pizza may be the simplest thing, but I'd say get some menus for local places and see if Bocoup has any suggestions as well.

• SQLCowboySQLCowboy Registered User regular
    Sounds like some good ideas here... definitely interested in attending if I can!

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    This sounds perfect! Bocoup is a nerd-centric venue so I think we would fit in quite well. Maybe we can even get a Rock Band set up!
    I like the sound of this!

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
    For those of you who are making trading cards, I've come up with a badge for the event! Since Rock Band is a possibility, I was inspired to play off the instrument symbols. :)

glbtmeetup.png

• spectralsarahspectralsarah Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    I am super excited about this. :) Thanks so much for organizing it, Themiscrya!

Just out of curiosity, I know that the three symbols are gender, lambda, and the triangles, but what is the axe for?

(I'm guessing it's for gamers, but I could be wrong.)

Cool! I'll have to ask The_Doctor to update my trading card. This badge is bad-ass!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    The axe is the labrys, which is often used as a feminist/lesbian symbol. I wanted to get away from just Venus + Venus/Mars + Mars for the gay and lesbian emblems.

Okay! I've tentatively scheduled the event for 6 to 9 pm, though I've warned Darius that I may adjust that depending on the PAX schedule. PAX attendees and non-attendees who happen to be in the area are all welcome to attend. The space can hold 80 people comfortably (and more people less comfortably) so I'm setting the cap at 80 for now - hopefully we won't even reach it, but if we do, I'll revisit the issue then.

We may have some sponsorship coming, and if you work for or are connected to a GLBT-friendly company or organization, I'd be happy to take on more. I don't want to get into specifics until I have details.

I'll probably be asking for help as we get closer to the date in purchasing food (particularly veggie platters, maybe some cheese & crackers and/or cold cuts, definitely soft drinks) and storing it until the event. Bocoup can give us some storage space but their fridge space is particularly limited. Darius did say it shouldn't be a problem to store soda - we just need to bring ice. On that note, if anyone lives in the area and has coolers they could lend, it would be appreciated.

Rock Band should also be a go! I'm going to dig up my contacts at Harmonix, but since they tend to do a lot of stuff at PAX already, I'm not sure they'll be able or willing to help. Still, if we can get their blessing, at least, that'd be cool. Speaking for myself, I can bring my XBox, a guitar controller, and a mike. I tend to play Rock Band solo so I'm afraid I don't have additional guitar controllers or mikes, and I do not have drums. Again - if someone in the area could lend such things to the event, it'd be greatly appreciated. (Or, hell, if you're not in the area but bringing your Rock Band stuff with you, also good!)

Oh yeah - and I'll definitely be looking for volunteers for setup and cleanup. So if you want to help with that, let me know.

I'm going to go update the first post now. You guys, I am so effing excited. Like, Kristen Bell with sloths excited, which is my new yardstick for MAXIMUM EXCITEMENT. My whole life has been leading to this moment. I hope you'll all have a blast. Thank you all.

Awesome! Sounds like a great plan! I can't wait to come. Depending on time schedule I would be happy to help set up and clean up.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    On second thought, I have set up an Eventbrite page, just to make this a little easier. You'll find it here:

http://glbtgamers.eventbrite.com/

Please sign up for yourself and any friends you're bringing as soon as you can! If you're not reasonably sure you'll be attending, please hold off so others can register. We may end up having extra space at the door. If the tickets are running low I'll be sure to post here.

Registered! The name is under "Jojo Lorentson"

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • tylrstylrs Columbia, MDRegistered User new member
    signed up

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    oh hey this looks fun.

when I read dancing I laughed, because Friday I'm cosplaying Miror B from Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, and for those of you who don't know, he's a disco freak!
    If you'd all be up for it I can show up as him and just get my freak on! :D

Or just change out of it, not sure if I'd be incredibly out of place dressed up like that or not.

Of course this cosplay is only gonna happen if that hair wants to work with me.

edit: also this might be a weird question, but does it matter if I sign up with my full first name or just my nickname? I always have this question when I see things asking for my name, because my nickname is only one letter.
    and my last name has no vowels, so it's an interesting combination.

and getting the badge, my photoshop turns the no background into black, and I can't get rid of it without getting rid of the black ring around the symbols, so anyone know how I can use it without getting that, or could possibly send me the original file so I don't have that issue

TheAsianKnight on
    Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    It shouldn't actually matter what name you put down. A one-letter nickname should be ok, I think Eventbrite just wants SOMETHING in that field.

As for the badge, shoot me your e-mail and I can send you the PSD file. I'll add a background layer so you can tinker as necessary.

thanks, and I was thinking, it would be cool for some people to possibly meet up before the event, and go there together.
    Since I'm assuming not everyone is from boston or some may be directionally challenged.

I'll probably just walk, since it's not that much of a walk, but I'd feel better with people (especially if I'm in my Miror B Getup).
    And with people I'd also be willing to take the silver line and stuff, if no one would walk with me. (I tend to try to avoid buses, because public transportation besides trains confuse me)

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Awesome! I'm totally in!

No, wait, maybe I'm out.

NO, DEFINITELY IN.

Hmm...on second thought, better to be out.

That's it. It's decided, I'M IN.

sploot.

Too soon. Too soon.

I'm going, hit up the eventbrite page. All set.

Also, Meles, they have medications for premature signup.

I've recovered enough to hit the eventbrite page. See you all there!

Folks, just so you know, we're down to about 40 spots - we've already blown through half the tickets. This is AMAZING. I can scarcely believe it myself. I'm hoping there won't be any kind of rush, but if you were on the fence about registering, you may want to go on ahead. I will, of course, post again when we're down to our last 20 tickets or so. Once again, you should register at http://glbtgamers.eventbrite.com/

If we do run out of tickets, there may still be room for a few extra attendees, but I can't promise anything. We may need to reserve some extra spots for volunteers or sponsors. But I'll burn that bridge when I get to it, and post about it here.

So excited. Thank you all for your interest, your support, and your sheer enthusiasm. This is going to be an incredible event - probably even bigger and better than last year's! You are the wind beneath my effing wings.

Themiscyra wrote:
    ...You are the wind beneath my effing wings.

Sorry about that. I had pork and beans last night, and my digestion isn't what it used to be...

Some quick updates on the meetup. First, I received a PayPal donation to help defray costs today, and in the interest of full disclosure and accountability, I've decided to make all donations, expenses, etc. available for anyone to review. You'll find the spreadsheet on Google Docs at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjQZDjsCjJr4dDBGV0VtNE9ENnlBZ3R4U1RKUjFqRVE - you do not need to sign in to view it.

On a related note, while I don't know yet if we'll have any excess funds after everything is paid for, it occurred to me that it might be nice to give any excess we do have to charity. Child's Play is the obvious option, but I've been giving some serious thought to BAGLY. BAGLY is a FANTASTIC local organization for GLBT youth and they really helped me a lot when I was younger. In addition to turning over any excess funds, we might also set up some kind of donation box or something to benefit them. What do you guys think?

As always, help defraying the costs associated with this event will be appreciated. We'll need to pay for snacks, possibly pizza/sandwiches, soft drinks, plates, utensils, cups, napkins, ice, emergency batteries for Rock Band controllers, and more. We'll also need to borrow some equipment: at the very least, a second guitar controller, a Rock Band drum set, a keyboard stand, and possibly spare mics for harmony parts, plus coolers for the soda and any snacks that need to stay cold until serving time. If you can donate cash or resources, please let me know. I'm trying to talk with some people about sponsorship agreements but don't have anything set in stone yet.

Oh - and another question for you guys. Do you want to make some kind of contest of the Rock Band stage? I'm thinking we could have bands signing up and playing throughout the evening, and then the three top scorers would each play the same song (probably NOT Born This Way - I'm not that mean!) and the very top scoring band would get some kind of prize. It hasn't really gotten much past the idle thought stage so I don't have a lot of specifics. What do you all think?

As far as Rock Band contests go, that may be a sponsor thing to discuss with other people. But I like the idea.

As I am traveling from Pennsylvania, I probably wouldn't be able to provide some things (limited luggage space and all), but I would like to help in some way (aside from money). Let me know if you have any ideas.

I like the idea of donating to BAGLY
    and maybe a rockband contest would be fun, given we get everything we need for it.

WOOP WOOP!
  • TerribleToasterTerribleToaster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    This sounds like an amazing amount of fun, TheAsianKnight is actually the one who pointed me to this so I'll be showing up with them most likely (if they let me of course)!
    This is my first PAX so meeting up with a smaller group of people would be awesome.

hlhhf2f0t737.png
    This sounds like an amazing amount of fun, TheAsianKnight is actually the one who pointed me to this so I'll be showing up with them most likely (if they let me of course)!
    This is my first PAX so meeting up with a smaller group of people would be awesome.

Pff if I let you, yes, I am very particular on who I allow to accompany me. You must pass a series of tests and challenges, if you pass then I shall allow you the pleasure of my company, if not I shall cast you to the pits of a smelly guy.

WOOP WOOP!
    Exciting news guys! Harmonix has agreed to provide some support for the event and I've been given the go-ahead to list them as event sponsors. We're still ironing out the details but it looks like they'll help us out with some equipment and possibly some swag. I'll know more when we're closer to the event. I'm not sure yet if they'll actually be able to lend us controllers, so we could probably still use at least an extra guitar controller and a drum set, just in case. They did say they should be able to help with keyboard and mic stands.

I hate to be a broken record on this, but yes, we could still use donations and/or other sponsorships. If you're with a GLBT-friendly company that might want to help sponsor the event, please contact me. Similarly, if you want to donate some cash directly to defray the costs involved, let me know.

As of right now, we have 26 out of 80 tickets left, with over a month to go. Holy crap.

• lastexilelastexile Registered User new member
    Hello all I'm excited for this I heard about it last year but wasn't able to attend. Themiscyra I would like to use my first post on this forum to thank you for organizing this event. Also can I get a two tickets one for me and a friend who doesn't know he's going yet :)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    lastexile wrote:
    Hello all I'm excited for this I heard about it last year but wasn't able to attend. Themiscyra I would like to use my first post on this forum to thank you for organizing this event. Also can I get a two tickets one for me and a friend who doesn't know he's going yet :)

the ticket link is in the OP, I think it lets you register for multiple tickets.

zerzhul on
    Harmonix are totally awesome!!!! Amazing work getting them on board, and a huge thanks to them for helping out with what will obv be the Party Of The Century (TM).

• PascualPascual Registered User regular
    I'm totes in... yay!

edited February 2012
    Pascual wrote:
    I'm totes in... yay!

Oh no! Not you! You're the worst!

Edit: I guess I probably shouldn't have told you to sign up while we were at the pub then. I only have myself to blame *cries*

MelesMeles on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Themiscyra wrote:
    Exciting news guys! Harmonix has agreed to provide some support for the event and I've been given the go-ahead to list them as event sponsors. We're still ironing out the details but it looks like they'll help us out with some equipment and possibly some swag. I'll know more when we're closer to the event. I'm not sure yet if they'll actually be able to lend us controllers, so we could probably still use at least an extra guitar controller and a drum set, just in case. They did say they should be able to help with keyboard and mic stands.

I hate to be a broken record on this, but yes, we could still use donations and/or other sponsorships. If you're with a GLBT-friendly company that might want to help sponsor the event, please contact me. Similarly, if you want to donate some cash directly to defray the costs involved, let me know.

As of right now, we have 26 out of 80 tickets left, with over a month to go. Holy crap.

Would personal donations help, or are you looking for more major stuff? I'd be happy to pitch in $10 or something, if it would help, and I'm sure other people might also.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    Hey guys -

Sorry for my silence. I fell very ill last week and spent the last few days in the hospital. I'm about to go get some much-needed sleep, but I wanted to check in briefly before I did so.

lastexile, yes, you should use the link in the OP to register if you haven't already, and you should be able to sign up for multiple tickets. We currently have 19 left. I may add a few more to the pool...the space can hold 80 people comfortably but the actual maximum capacity is a little higher. I'll see how things go as we get closer to the event. I've also given some thought to throwing some VIP tickets in there (i.e., a few people would pay X amount, or a larger donation if they wanted, to help support the event, and get some kind of special goody bag or pre- or post-event meal or something) but I'm not sure what a VIP package would look like.

In terms of donations, seriously, anything you can do is awesome. If you can throw in ten bucks, great. If you can do more, awesome. My PayPal address is [email protected]; all I ask is that you specify what the donation is for so I know to add it to the meetup budget and that you tell me what name you want me to link with the donation on the spreadsheet. You're welcome to donate anonymously or in someone else's name if you like. I'll probably be setting up a donation button and info page on my blog tomorrow as a central resource.

Likewise, tomorrow I'll try to address any private questions that have come up...I'd take care of it tonight but I did not sleep well in the hospital and I am really flagging. Talk to you guys again soon.