Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Hell On Wheels: I've Been Working on the Fail Road

PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse

This premiered last night after the walking dead. Anyone else catch it? Spoilers for some thoughts about the first episode.
Spoiler:

Preacher on

• amateurhouramateurhour Registered User regular
    As I don't have cable, I didn't even know this was out... I'll have to check it out tonight. Is it available online yet? (through AMC)

Here's what I do...
    The Vac - My Science Fiction Epic
    Fortune Pancakes - My Gag-A-Day Comic
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    This looks pretty great, but yeah, also went the no-cable-only-Netflix route.

I hope they stream it... they stopped streaming Breaking Bad halfway through the season and my heart pooped.

But yeah, totally interested in watching this.

• UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Registered User
    It looks interesting.

Plus - Common!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its definately uniqueish route for a tv show to go. I just worry that it'll be a parade of cliches, especially after the premier. Though it was kind of funny to see two Thomas Harris movie villain actors in the same show (Tom Noonan and Ted Levine).

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    As pointed out by the AV Club, including in a serious western a serious scene where a black railroad crew breaks out into song while a white overseer looks on might not be a good idea when any portion of your audience has seen Blazing Saddles.

I did like the pilot episode overall, mainly since it's like huffing the last remaining vapors of Deadwood.

Plus, Tom Noonan!

Lawndart on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I DVR'd this. Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch in the next few days.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    I did like the pilot episode overall, mainly since it's like huffing the last remaining vapors of Deadwood.

If you thought Deadwood was a good program, all things considered, then this show will likely work for you.

If you thought Deadwood was a pinnacle of television drama (or THE pinnacle) and you will fight any cocksucker who says otherwise, you'll find yourself hard-pressed to avoid saying, "It's just not the same," about five or six times during the pilot.

sig.jpg
    Last pint: Piston Pale Ale - Laurelwood
    Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    They're trying to make the main character too likable. 'Good man forced to do bad things' nonsense without a selfish bone in his body.
    Spoiler:

Angryspider2_zps663851d1.jpg
    emnmnme wrote:
    They're trying to make the main character too likable. 'Good man forced to do bad things' nonsense without a selfish bone in his body.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Preacher wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Let's watch Buster Keaton's The General together, Preacher.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I sort of watched it. Had it on in the background but kept getting distracted and missed parts of it. I intended to watch an encore but instead TWD was on all night. What I saw didn't really excite me, but there isn't a whole hell of a lot going these days as far as westerns go so I'm willing to stick with it for a bit, especially considering some of the cast.

steam_sig.png
    emnmnme wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Let's watch Buster Keaton's The General together, Preacher.

Only if I get to bring the popcorn bucket with the hole in it.

One thing I want to know - are trains that old still around or did they have a working, old timey steam engine built specifically for the show?

emnmnme wrote:
    One thing I want to know - are trains that old still around or did they have a working, old timey steam engine built specifically for the show?

I'd guess its a reproduction. I doubt they'd have spent the money to restore an old period locamotive.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:

There are a bunch of them around. The U.S. has tons of train museums, historic railroads and other working 19th century rail relics.

Preacher wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Exactly Lawndart, it reeks of a fairly popular, if not horribly ignorant group of people in the US today. Which seems weird because I can't imagine they are the target audience for AMC shows to begin with.

• PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Yeah I was kinda interested until I heard it was about a Confederate who wants revenge against the Union soldiers who murdered his wife. Red flags for Lost Cause revisionist BS which I really can't stand.

11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    I liked the pilot. It's no Deadwood, but it was entertaining enough. I am not american and am mostly ignorant about the civil war though, so I guess this show was made for me.
    Spoiler:

Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing some rootin', tootin' and shootin' and if it can deliver that much I will be pleased.

sig2-2.jpg
    Someone better get run over by a train traveling at top speed before this season is over. In fact, I expect numerous train-related fatalities.

emnmnme wrote:
    Someone better get run over by a train traveling at top speed before this season is over. In fact, I expect numerous train-related fatalities.

I predict so many hangings/almost hangings it'll look like an naacp convention in the deep south.

• GospreyGosprey Registered User
    edited November 2011
    PantsB wrote:
    Yeah I was kinda interested until I heard it was about a Confederate who wants revenge against the Union soldiers who murdered his wife. Red flags for Lost Cause revisionist BS which I really can't stand.
    In that respect I just can't imagine what this show might achieve that The Outlaw Josey Wales didn't already dominate.

Gosprey on
    Gosprey wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    In that respect I just can't imagine what this show might achieve that The Outlaw Josey Wales didn't already dominate.

Well its definately got a lot more boring than Wales had. The premier really felt like they tried to cram a two hour premier into one hour and its pacing suffered from it.

Preacher wrote:
    Gosprey wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

Well its definately got a lot more boring than Wales had. The premier really felt like they tried to cram a two hour premier into one hour and its pacing suffered from it.

Yeah, there was a whole lot of plot stuffed into that pilot, and some of the subplots could have used a slower burn before the big dramatic moments arrived.
    Spoiler:

Lawndart wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Gosprey wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

Yeah, there was a whole lot of plot stuffed into that pilot, and some of the subplots could have used a slower burn before the big dramatic moments arrived.
    Spoiler:

That was the exact point I was thinking about, though
    Spoiler:

It remains to be seen if all these extra characters are a benefit or ultimately drag the show down to boring town. Its not exactly blowing my skirt up yet, though it'l got a hard row to hoe for best western on TV. RIP Briscoe County Jr.

You know, the biggest surprise this show could hold is if Tom Noonan's character isn't some corrupt or murderous bastard, but actually has some sort of conscience and moral compass.

Which would simultaneously subvert the expectations of both the revisionist Western and the casting of Tom Fucking Noonan.

Lawndart wrote:
    You know, the biggest surprise this show could hold is if Tom Noonan's character isn't some corrupt or murderous bastard, but actually has some sort of conscience and moral compass.

Which would simultaneously subvert the expectations of both the revisionist Western and the casting of Tom Fucking Noonan.

I want to say Noonan played a sherriff in some show I watched and he actually was just a regular guy. Stunned I was. And I would like it if the preacher is just a fire and brimstone preacher trying to save all of humanity from their wickedness.

Most likely he's the big bad guy.

• DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think I made it close to the halfway mark and then I hit erase and cancel series record.

gusinrepose.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 Agent of Etc.Registered User regular
    I just think it looks kind of...fake. Like, the color palette of the show. Most everything looks like it's cast in this artificial silver gradient. It's not enough to be deliberately stylized, but it's present enough that I was actively distracted by it, and couldn't see it as a 'real' setting. It looks just slick and unnatural enough that I can't buy it being believable.

Also, I don't like the name. Wikipedia claims that Hell on Wheels is what the transcontinental railroad's presence in towns was called, but it's a curiously uncited, unsourced page, which leads me to question that quite a lot.

2014png.png
    I did notice the color issue, especially in the opening section in dc, it looked off and not in a good way.

• CliffCliff Registered User regular
    Ted Levine was the best actor in the show, and they already killed him off. This will probobly fall off my radar pretty quick, I'm already borded with the main character.

Wasn't that movie about David Bowie seducing a 16 year old girl while surrounding himself with monsters and rubbing his balls?

I don't think it was even a movie, it was just some footage of what Bowie does in his day to day life.
    edited November 2011
    They do seem to be going for an artificially Olde Timey look, probably through digital color correction or some such post-production thing, which at times has the effect of making what I can only assume were actual location shots look like cheap, artifical-looking green-screen shots out of 300.

Lawndart on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just got around to watching this yesterday. It wasn't the greatest thing I've ever seen, but I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.

This week's episode was better that last week's episode. And I like the Svede character.

Yeah, the Swede (who, in a nice touch, is actually Norwegian) is a nice character, although I wish they'd stretch out some of the narrative reveals. However, that might just be residual Deadwood fumes again.

I think the show is trying way too hard and not really doing that great of a job. Spoilers for thoughts on the second ep.
    Spoiler:

I think I'll give it to the third ep and then I'm done. When I'm done someone can PM me if they want to change the thread title.

• DeebaserDeebaser At the corporate garage sale This is cheap and plentifulRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    I think the show is trying way too hard and not really doing that great of a job. Spoilers for thoughts on the second ep.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

The show is pretty meh.

Deebaser on
    Deebaser wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

The show is pretty meh.

Ahh well I hadn't seen it spelled just know the term and how they used it improperly.

Yeah, the writers have apparently gone past the "noble savage" historical revisionism and straight back to "bloodthirsty savages" historical revisionism.

I'm hoping the eventual clash between the federales and the Cheyenne isn't depicted with a similar lack of nuance.

Also, Tom Noonan: always kinda creepy. I am curious if he got this gig after his very memorable guest spot on Louie.

Tom Noonan looks like the kind of guy you'd trust right up until he drugged you and you wake up with a turtle sewed to your testicles.