As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hell On Wheels: I've Been Working on the Fail Road

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think the mistake the show made is tying it to the rail road. I know they wanted to have a stable of characters, but the lenghts they've already gone through to keep the main character to the rail road is really stretching believeability.

Spoilers for the second ep.

Its ridiculous that Bohannen used the "I blew up train tracks so I know how to build them." as a convincing line to be foreman. What the fuck does one have anything to do with the other? Its not like Hogan and Sister Sarah could have built a bridge but they sure as fuck blew one up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    yeah that was particularly retarded. "Im going to go ask chief O'Brien for a job even though his men were going to hang me for killing the guy and creating the vacancy."

Brilliant Plan!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    I think the mistake the show made is tying it to the rail road. I know they wanted to have a stable of characters, but the lenghts they've already gone through to keep the main character to the rail road is really stretching believeability.

Spoilers for the second ep.

Its ridiculous that Bohannen used the "I blew up train tracks so I know how to build them." as a convincing line to be foreman. What the fuck does one have anything to do with the other? Its not like Hogan and Sister Sarah could have built a bridge but they sure as fuck blew one up.

I thought it was the line about
    using only a half a keg of gunpowder to blow it up, that was supposed to convince? I mean, that doesn't sound like a lot of gunpowder to use to blow up a frigging bridge, so it's supposed to be impressive? I don't know, I've obviously never studied bridges for the purpose of blowing them up so I could be wrong.

I wasn't really meaning to watch the show, just was too lazy to change the channel after The Walking Dead. It definitely seems to be trying too hard though.

Also, the incredible stealth woman is getting kind of ridiculous.
    The arrow out of the hand and sticking the other guy was one thing, but the stitching of her wound with the giant improvised needle? Oh, and she conveniently un-passes out right before she can be spotted again? Also, I would think the big hole in her hand would have merited more fixing up than the it-already-stopped-bleeding gash on her chest.

I predict in the next episode that she's going to build her own train with the remnants of her dress, a couple of tree branches, and some mud. Then she's gonna run over those indians that are after her.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

Well, it's not a poor premise for a western show, to be honest. But they should've just assumed the main guy is part of the railroad rather than awkwardly attaching him to it after the fact.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    This show conveniently falls between the walking dead and the repeat of dexter on hbo east, so I'll probably stick with it for a while, but it's not really impressing.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    I thought it was the line about
    using only a half a keg of gunpowder to blow it up, that was supposed to convince? I mean, that doesn't sound like a lot of gunpowder to use to blow up a frigging bridge, so it's supposed to be impressive? I don't know, I've obviously never studied bridges for the purpose of blowing them up so I could be wrong.

I wasn't really meaning to watch the show, just was too lazy to change the channel after The Walking Dead. It definitely seems to be trying too hard though.

Also, the incredible stealth woman is getting kind of ridiculous.
    The arrow out of the hand and sticking the other guy was one thing, but the stitching of her wound with the giant improvised needle? Oh, and she conveniently un-passes out right before she can be spotted again? Also, I would think the big hole in her hand would have merited more fixing up than the it-already-stopped-bleeding gash on her chest.

I predict in the next episode that she's going to build her own train with the remnants of her dress, a couple of tree branches, and some mud. Then she's gonna run over those indians that are after her.

Its not that amazing considering I saw how it could be done in two mules for sister sarah and they only had dynamite. And yeah Dr. Quinn Medicine woman was freaking ridiculous. I think even hardcore military survavilists now would have difficulty pulling that off, let alone some waif woman surveyors wife. Not to mention how she avoided leaving a blood trail despite clearly bleeding everywhere.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:

Well, it's not a poor premise for a western show, to be honest. But they should've just assumed the main guy is part of the railroad rather than awkwardly attaching him to it after the fact.

Yeah its not a comment on the railroad part of it, that could be an interesting show in its own right. Its just that with the main characters "quest" it seems rather silly.

"I'm on a quest for vengeance and I better hope and pray this particular entirely linear and expected train route will go exactly where I need for my incredibly diverse group of people, but its cool because like Superman I have a new power anytime I might need one."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Yeah after watching bits and pieces of the first two episodes this show so far is mediocre at best, which is saying something given amc's track record with breaking bad, mad men, and now the walking dead. I feel like the walking dead is more believable in its writing than this show and that one involves zombies. Also what the fuck is the point of common other than the producers being able to say "hey check out this rapper playing as the token black guy in our period piece!" Like he seems to really have served no purpose other than to trade lines with the main guy occasionally to show "hey check out this honorable confederate guy who is cool with black people!" Granted i haven't scrutinized these initial episodes.

Honestly if they cut out the stupid b-rate viggo mortenson and focused the show in the railroad prospector, tom noonan's character, and the "Swede" that would have been a more interesting primary cast and would be consistent with tying it to the railroad development.
    Also the subplot with the surveyor's wife is one of the more ridiculous scenarios in a two-episode show already full of them. Like unless they reveal that she was raised by hardcore frontiersmen in the appalachians there is no way she should still be alive unless, *gasp!* she conveniently fills the role of b-rate viggo's new love interest! Overall this show has been really sloppy compared to amc's other efforts.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Yeah Common seems completely unneccessary as a character other than to show how elevated Bohan is with regards to his treatment of black people. He was even kind of sillier in this episode all things considered.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    One thing I want to know - are trains that old still around or did they have a working, old timey steam engine built specifically for the show?

There are a bunch of them around. The U.S. has tons of train museums, historic railroads and other working 19th century rail relics.

Heck, several of the steam engines in use at Disney theme parks are real 19th century ones.

Apparently the train is wood:

http://www.amctv.com/hell-on-wheels/videos/inside-hell-on-wheels-building-the-train

But it's entirely possible to build a new steam locomotive. these guys did it: http://www.leviathan63.com/index.html

I haven't seen the show, but as a train buff I can tell you that a steam loco from that time wouldn't have been grungy and black. It would have been rather colorful.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I've seen both episodes and all I can remember from either is Colm Meaney smashing some dude's face into a table because he was going to build a straight railroad. Pretty sure I'm done with this. If it picks up and gets really good then I'll play catch up, but I don't really see that happening.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bullio wrote:
    I've seen both episodes and all I can remember from either is Colm Meaney smashing some dude's face into a table because he was going to build a straight railroad. Pretty sure I'm done with this. If it picks up and gets really good then I'll play catch up, but I don't really see that happening.

Yeah its got one more episode and then I'll just play vidja games or go to bed early. Also as someone who doesn't watch the walking dead, do they purposefully choose the most boring clips in the history of time to show as a sneak peek during hell on wheels?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    It's a rather silly promo, if you show something exciting it can ruin the mystery in next week's episode. Show something crappy and it's like what's the point? This week was very much the latter

• Options
    Well the week before it was some guy falling off a horse into some water. Which might be exciting if I gave two shits about any of them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah the preview clips for walking dead (ive only been following it on tv recently after catching up via netflix & online) have been the more pedestrian kind of clips to show. The current season has kind of been spinning its wheels in one location, and I guess this is partly due to amc budget woes (which makes sense), but even that stuff is more consistent and engaging (imo) than whats been thrown around with hell on wheels.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Damn I was somewhat interested in this show- but Civil War Era revisionism? yeah no

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote:
    Damn I was somewhat interested in this show- but Civil War Era revisionism? yeah no

Oh they went even worse in the second ep.

The "hero" insults an andersonville survivor saying someone failed to eat him because he's a yankee and tastes like shit. Yeah I'm sure the writer who wrote that line patted himself on the back.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    No-Quarter wrote:

Oh they went even worse in the second ep.
    The "hero" insults an andersonville survivor saying someone failed to eat him because he's a yankee and tastes like shit. Yeah I'm sure the writer who wrote that line patted himself on the back.

Yeah, that was actually a somewhat well-done bit up until that response.
    It would have been better if the Swede had not gone through any wartime trauma at all, but just decided to go full bastard anyway.

It would have been even better if this show had taken a lesson from Deadwood (or other basic cable dramas) and killed off the supposed main character in the second episode.

• Options
    The AV review pointed out the moment they were going for was undercut by the "Swedes" extortion racket he was running. Though I really struggled as to why that was particularly "evil" clearly the show wanted me to think it was. But its not like the brothers are paying rent for the space they are taking up or any other costs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah it's unfortunate that they're inevitably gonna make the "swede" the generic robotic euro-thug cause his backstory is infinitely more interesting than "i sold all mah slaves and fought for honor!" confederate cowboy.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    I think the show is trying way too hard and not really doing that great of a job. Spoilers for thoughts on the second ep.

The escape/deal at the end were all so unbelieveable. I guess by the third episode he'll be running the rail road after he shoots Colm Meany and gives a speech on coming together that he learned from being in the south. Add to that he was a terrible talker to the swede (what a dumb nickname, why not the Nord? That would be short and geographically correct.)

The Swede himself is another trying too hard type character, they want to make him the bad guy or a bad guy, but what's he done thats really wrong? Extort a couple dumb micks and go after someone involved in a murder? THE HORROR!

The white ladies story continues to be dumb as hell, she's apparently dr quinn medicine woman and the invisible woman (the native americans never went to the water at all? Really?). Sadly once they resolve her arc I'm sure she'll become the love interest for the main character.

Historically inaccurate stuff. The swedes double barrell is not really accurate, he cut the part off the gun that would give it any kind of range. The highwayman pistol Colm Meany pulls out was equally as terrible for accuracy/reliability. I'm also pretty sure the Native Americans got the term "Counting Coo" wrong with what they were doing and I also want to say they are dressed improperly for the type of Native Americans they are supposed to be.

I think I'll give it to the third ep and then I'm done. When I'm done someone can PM me if they want to change the thread title.

I dunno, I dig the Swede and I like how hes actually Norwegian. Maybe its saying something about racism in the 1880s, or maybe Im reading too into it. And why is it okay to extort the Irish?
    Preacher wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Yeah its not a comment on the railroad part of it, that could be an interesting show in its own right. Its just that with the main characters "quest" it seems rather silly.

"I'm on a quest for vengeance and I better hope and pray this particular entirely linear and expected train route will go exactly where I need for my incredibly diverse group of people, but its cool because like Superman I have a new power anytime I might need one."
    Well, he came to the rail road to kill the one handed bearded dude and now hes staying around to find the sergeant dude, so its not totally crazy, but its not excellent either.

Hey, lay off Lady MacGyver!

emp123 on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to watch this, but I always forget to set up my DVR.

Is it good?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    r.. read the thread and form your opinion based on that?

-just so this isnt a total jerk-post I would say it's worth at least one watch, however I'd disagree with bloodshed's assessment and say that having to go into an amc show "brain off" (especially with one that takes itself so seriously like this one), isn't really a viable way to spend time. You might as well track down some spaghetti westerns on netflix or something that don't aspire to such heights like hell on wheels.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Malkor wrote:
    I keep meaning to watch this, but I always forget to set up my DVR.

Is it good?

I'd say give it a shot. I'm enjoying it. It's not nearly as good as AMC's other offerings, but it works well as a Brain-Off-Let's-Watch-Some-Cowboys-And-Indians show. Go in with a critical mind and you will hate it.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Its always ok to extort the irish. Dirty Micks are worse than darkies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emp123 wrote:

I am simultaneously teasing her and honestly hoping to what insane rambo/solid snake thing she does next... After two episodes, it's probably one of the better things to look forward to.

And I believe her full name is Lady Mrs. MacGyver-Ninja, Medicine Woman.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    emp123 wrote:

I am simultaneously teasing her and honestly hoping to what insane rambo/solid snake thing she does next... After two episodes, it's probably one of the better things to look forward to.

I'm sure after she gets rescued she'll work on the railroad as some kind of seamstress or maybe first aid lady and her and not viggo will fall in love over having lost their spouses.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That sounds like exactly the sort of thing that will happen. Ugh. Then it'll be all abloo-bloo pining for each other but feeling guilty about their dead loved ones.

Worse yet there's gonna be a love triangle because Chief O'Brien wants to tap that (the lady, not Not-Viggo. Maybe they'll save that for sweeps week). God, this is gonna turn into Twilight, except everybody is grimy all the time and there's no indoor plumbing.

• Options
    Basically. Though the triangle might actually be between not viggo, common the most useless character ever, and dr. macguyver quinn. She looks like she might have some jungle fever and that way they can put in so many horrible stereotypes and show how enlightened not viggo is and how horrible the north really are.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Chief O'Brien has definitely got his eyes on her though. I mean, yeah, that's more of the "creepy villain lusts for the protagonists' love interest" sort of thing, but you can bet there's going to be omg conflict there, sadly.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't understand what Common is doing in this show. Someone tried to tell me it was Sisko from DS9, and I'm like, um, no.

• Options
    I don't understand what Common is doing in this show. Someone tried to tell me it was Sisko from DS9, and I'm like, um, no.

Outside of them both being bald I have no idea where that comparison comes from. Common is cashing a check on this show, thats about it. Maybe he thought he'd get an emmy like he was on madmen or something, but that sure as f ain't happening with the dreck writing here.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

I'm sure after she gets rescued she'll work on the railroad as some kind of seamstress or maybe first aid lady and her and not viggo will fall in love over having lost their spouses.

The only way this would surprise me is if this doesnt happen, although Im allowing for the possibility that they bone and decide they shouldnt be together out of respect for their spouses and because not Vigo is a murderer.

• Options
    emp123 wrote:
    The only way this would surprise me is if this doesnt happen, although Im allowing for the possibility that they bone and decide they shouldnt be together out of respect for their spouses and because not Vigo is a murderer.

So is dr. quinn. Sure she murdered a dirty red man savage so its not exactly the same thing, but they both have blood on their hands.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

So is dr. quinn. Sure she murdered a dirty red man savage so its not exactly the same thing, but they both have blood on their hands.

Nah, thats arguably self defense, not-Vigo murdered plenty of people in cold blood.

• Options
    emp123 wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Nah, thats arguably self defense, not-Vigo murdered plenty of people in cold blood.

Look they were all yankees, clear cut self defense.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I saw part of the episodes out. They seemed decent. Might have to give it a full watch sometime.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    You know I was just thinking what this show needs is more characters. And god damn would I love a socially inept native american white girl prostitute love interest.

Still going to watch this show just to see how bad it gets. Anyone else get surprised at the end of each show since they do so little during the show, its like "Oh shit its already 11?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    You know I was just thinking what this show needs is more characters. And god damn would I love a socially inept native american white girl prostitute love interest.

Still going to watch this show just to see how bad it gets. Anyone else get surprised at the end of each show since they do so little during the show, its like "Oh shit its already 11?"

To be fair, the rather blatant attempt to insert a version of Deadwood's Calamity Jane was the highlight of the show. It was odd to have her first show up as some mysterious white captive gone native then in the next scene she's generic English-speaking saloon whore.

You know, for a show with all the trappings of a revisionist Western, all of the characters are either completely noble or utterly evil. Especially Mistah Bohannon, the least racist former Confederate slave owner ever, and Common, the prototype for Booker T. Washington.

In the spirit of how disappointing this show is, I petition the thread title be changed to "I've Been Working On The Failroad".

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Lawndart wrote:
    I petition the thread title be changed to "I've Been Working On The Failroad".

Second

Deebaser on