As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penn State scandal, OR: Lions arent the only predators in Pennsylvania

LanglyLangly Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Social Entropy++
So the defensive coach Jerry Sandusky has been indicted on child sex abuse from incidents over the past fifteen years.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/7201952/penn-state-nittany-lions-tim-curley-takes-leave-gary-schultz-steps-amid-scandal

I imagine that Paterno had to be retrained from ripping him apart with his bare hands.

Anyway, this is crazy, what the fuck.

Langly on

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I have nothing to add except what the fuck why didn't that get reported to police in addition to the university higher ups

Scudo on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We already have a football thread.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    I was told not to put this there!

• Options
    Also this really isn't about football, it involves a football coach.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Judging by his nose I'm gonna say he's guilty

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    The details of the case are horrifying. Like what the fuck penn state?

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2011
    Langly wrote:
    Also this really isn't about football, it involves a football coach.

NO EXCUSE

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I can't imagine being the grad student that caught him doing it. I mean just what the fuck?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    He's a retired coach.

Also, in this post megathread world, we can have a separate thread about this, I think.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    this doesn't make any sense, this guy isn't a priest

• Options
    lumberghlumbergh Registered User regular
    To me it's just really depressing. President Spainer's initial statement was nothing short of unbelievable. If Curley and Schultz are convicted of perjury I expect nothing less than their immediate jailing and Spainer's letter of resignation. Shocking lack of accountability on Spainer's part here.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Hoooooly shit

This is beyond fucked

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    Christ, does this thread really need a pun title? These are (allegedly) sexually abused kids, for God's sake.

• Options
    As for Sandusky himself, I don't know what to say really. I'm less concerned about what happens to him (obviously he needs to be put away) than the victims of his crimes getting the proper support channels they undoubtedly need.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Christ, does this thread really need a pun title? These are (allegedly) sexually abused kids, for God's sake.

Without it this would basically be a D+D thread.

• Options
    yes welcome to SE++

• Options
    lumbergh wrote: »
    As for Sandusky himself, I don't know what to say really. I'm less concerned about what happens to him (obviously he needs to be put away) than the victims of his crimes getting the proper support channels they undoubtedly need.

In the grand jury document, there is a phone conversation from 1998 where Sandusky tells a mother "I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."

Me too buddy

• Options
    Langly wrote:
    I imagine that Paterno had to be retrained from ripping him apart with his bare hands.

For what it's worth I think I read somewhere that Paterno has been cleared of all charges. I am not 100% sure of all the details of the case though so I guess my question would be how could the AD (Curley) catch wind of the scandal while Paterno, the freaking head coach, remain blissfully ignorant? I mean it's his own freaking Defensive Coordinator! Unless the alleged abuses happened after Sandusky retired?

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    can't imagine paterno will be back after this year now

and jesus why did the grad assistant not call the cops

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    If he's been doing it for 15 years, I'm gonna say he's been pretty good at hiding it.

Not Catholicism good, but certainly above average.

• Options
    Too soon?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    simo wrote:
    can't imagine paterno will be back after this year now

and jesus why did the grad assistant not call the cops

Yeah what's that about

Maybe it's just me but if I saw child abuse going on I wouldn't go to someone at the university, I'd go to the fucking police

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    lumbergh wrote:
    Langly wrote:

For what it's worth I think I read somewhere that Paterno has been cleared of all charges. I am not 100% sure of all the details of the case though so I guess my question would be how could the AD (Curley) catch wind of the scandal while Paterno, the freaking head coach, remain blissfully ignorant? I mean it's his own freaking Defensive Coordinator! Unless the alleged abuses happened after Sandusky retired?

It happened after he was no longer a coach there. Paterno was told "something" by a grad assistant in 2002, and he told someone immediately, but didn't follow up because he wasn't on his staff anymore.

He said that the GA didn't really tell him anything in detail, just that something untoward had happened, so he was surprised at the grand jury proceedings.

That's what he's saying, anyway.

• Options
    GalyGaly Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Now THIS is a scandal.

mustache w/ hat c|:{
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Langly wrote:

It happened after he was no longer a coach there. Paterno was told "something" by a grad assistant in 2002, and he told someone immediately, but didn't follow up because he wasn't on his staff anymore.

He said that the GA didn't really tell him anything in detail, just that something untoward had happened, so he was surprised at the grand jury proceedings.

That's what he's saying, anyway.

Hopefully that's the extent of Paterno's 'involvement.'

Still, I feel like that type of allegation should have been given more thought than a "Well, I did my job. Administrations problem now!"

lumbergh on
  • Options
    PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
    Being a diehard Penn State hater, I should say something along the lines of business as usual, but even I can't. This is despicable and needs fixed. Shame should be heaped upon all those involved, and JoePa shouldn't be given a free pass either...

sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    Sadly you can get away with quite a bit when you're rich and/or popular.

• Options
    PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
    Apparently after all that happened JoePa (knowing about it) permitted that asshole to have an overnight football summer camp in like 2009... screw that shit.

sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    I just can't connect the idea of "I was told something and told my supervisor, and did nothing else/never said or wondered about it again"

what. This wasn't the janitor. You worked with the guy for thirty years. If anything, you would be avidly trying to defend him if you were unsure about the allegations. But just nope thought it was weird and went on with my life.

That just sounds untrue.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Paterno was told something about this, none of which can have been any good, and he also just reported it upwards instead of calling the cops. I never thought there was going to be anything about Paterno that would make me think he should be fired, but there it is. Maybe he's got some sort of plausible deniability but he still has to go, along with everyone else.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Langly, you might be surprised how often people do their best to avoid doing anything, no matter what the reason is.

I don't know WHY, just that it happens and is a recorded thing.

• Options
    the guy was working out in the penn state weight room as recently as last week

paterno may be legally blameless but if the graduate assistant gave him even the vaguest description of what happened paterno deserves a lot of shit

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Graduate students are the worst.

Really, though, fuck this dude and the people that knew about it and didn't step up.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Polecat wrote:
    Being a diehard Penn State hater, I should say something along the lines of business as usual, but even I can't. This is despicable and needs fixed. Shame should be heaped upon all those involved, and JoePa shouldn't be given a free pass either...

If the extent of his involvement was truly limited to reporting whatever happened in 2002 to whoever he reported it to, than he shouldn't be charged with anything. I just wish he had followed up the allegation a little better.

At the same time he's a football coach not an investigator or lawyer. I can't imagine most people would have handled the situation any differently than to file the allegation away and let the Administration sort it out. That's what they are there for.

lumbergh on
  • Options
    Oh I don't think he should have charges brought against him or anything, it just paints him in a pretty bad light, considering the amount of time and stuff.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    Sadly you can get away with quite a bit when you're rich and/or popular.

As a rich and popular man...

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Peccavi wrote:

Really, though, fuck this dude and the people that knew about it and didn't step up.

I'm avoiding judgement about the grad student because I can't really imagine being in his place.

• Options
    lumbergh wrote:
    Polecat wrote:

If the extent of his involvement was truly limited to reporting whatever happened in 2002 to whoever he reported it to, than he shouldn't be viewed as compliant in the scandal. I just wish he had followed up the allegation a little better.

At the same time he's a football coach not an investigator or lawyer. I can't imagine most people would have handled the situation any differently than to file the allegation away and let the Administration sort it out. That's what they are there for.

i doubt he'll be charged with anything unless it comes out that he knew a lot more, which is definitely possible

but there's no way penn state can keep any person involved with this scandal around

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    lumbergh wrote:
    Peccavi wrote:

I'm avoiding judgement about the grad student because I can't really imagine being in his place.

this was my initial thought upon hearing about the story

but after reading the grand jury thing, and reading what he actually saw

fuck that guy

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I was just quoting 30 Rock.