Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chaos] CitOW game 57

DarianDarian Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Critical Failures
pic955226_md.jpg

Welcome to Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games' boardgame take at Games Workshop's famous fantasy IP. In this game, players take the role of one of the four Ruinous Powers of the universe (and a fifth, uninvited guest). Speaking of which, I believe this calls for some introductions.

DevoutlyApathetic as Khorne
Khorne loves long walks on the battlefield and nights alone with the recently deceased. He enjoys handywork, and has even so constructed a throne for himself from nothing but the skulls of the living. He's always on the lookout for new blood - in the most literal sense possible - earning him the title of "The Blood God." If Khorne were a flavor of ice cream, he would be Berserk Banana.

Tmoiy jdarksun as Nurgle
The other white meat! Or in this case, possibly white pus. Nurgle, now with 300% more pestilence! This is Great Unclean One with the new Nurgle Treatment, and you won't believe it! Have you ever been traveling around, and all of a sudden you wish you had brought your horrific ailments with you? But how are you going to fit it all in your bags? Well that's easy with the new Nurgle (or as we should say, the Old Nurgle)! Watch as it spreads the epidemic over the entire countryside as you pass. And if you order now, we'll throw in this free plaguebearer. Call now!

38thDoe as Tzeentch
Spoiler:

Wylder blahmcblah as Slaanesh
"Working for Khorne? It's ok, I guess, but I worry about my future prospects. You know how I'm probably going to die? Not enough blood left in my neck. You know how those Slaanesh dudes over there are probably going to die? Too many orgasms.
You can see my consternation." - Khorne Thrall

As the Prince of Pain and Pleasure, some might say that Slaanesh 'goes both ways.' His followers don't quite have a 'lust for battle,' but enjoy the 'corruption' of the aristocracy. He finds subtle usurping 'invigorating,' and sometimes even so much that he just has to release his 'keeper of secrets.'

visiblehowl as the Horned Rat
The Horned Rat does not exist, nor is there such thing as the ratmen that worship it. Scholars have concluded that claims of an empire of vicious verminfolk are nothing more than stories invented to frighten the very young. Any reports of having sighted these "skaven" is seen as spreading discord amongst the faithful and, naturally, quite blasphemous. The skittering and scratching you hear deep below you at night is naught but the fevered workings of your imagination. If you insist that you have seen these creatures, please see your nearest witch hunter to be summarily executed for your blatant heresy.

----

This will be a Play-By-Post game of Chaos in the Old World for 5 players. Invitations will be taken from the discussion thread and offered to the top 3 players on the main list, 1 newbies, and a host. Once chosen, the players will decide which decks to use in this game.

[RULES]
[FAQ]
[EXPANSION RULES]
[Headless Hollow Rules Summary]

Credits of Chaos
Adam Bloom for his rocking Handtracker site.
FWD for the awesome board app.
Mr.Blarney for the original design of our PbP board.
Rend for the comprehensive OP.
Darian for bringing order to chaos as games manager and our resident rules lawyer.

Previous games, aka recommended reading before playing, are linked from the CF Boardgame Index

General discussion thread for Chaos in the Old World is available here

Darian on

• DarianDarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    From Rend: A QUICK TUTORIAL ON CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD
    Spoiler:

Useful information:
    Spoiler:

Darian on
    Darian's personal Unofficial FAQ for the Horned Rat (Now with some official rulings):
    Spoiler:

• TmoiyTmoiy Registered User
    edited November 2011
    I'll register a slight preference for Morrslieb decks and a mixed Old World deck. Also I'm terrible and have multiple preference lists:

Base, any OW: Horned Rat > Tzeentch > Slaanesh > Nurgle > Khorne
    Morrslieb, base or mixed OW: Nurgle > Horned Rat > Khorne > Tzeentch > Slaanesh
    Morrslieb, expert OW: Tzeentch > Horned Rat > Khorne > Nurgle > Slaanesh

Thanks for running these games, Darian!

Tmoiy on
  • WylderWylder Registered User
    Morrslieb and mixed Old World decks please.

I'll take literally any power. I'm not fussed at all.

No sig for you!
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    Heavy preference for Morrslieb, heavy preference for either 1) all base OW cards or 2) all expansion OW cards. I feel like the one thing that mitigates the screwage of the expansion OW cards is the fact that all of them go on the track, so you only have to deal with their bullshit for 2 rounds.

As for powers, I have yet to play as the Horned Rat in any game on or off board, so I'd very much like the chance to try him out. Aside from that, I'd probably go Slaanesh > Tzeentch > Nurgle > Khorne.

DogSig.gif
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I prefer base set, but that's fine. I'm okay as any power.

#NotMyHost

camo_sig2.png
    Just waiting to hear from @Nought

Looking like Morrslieb so far, and you guys need to decide whether visiblehowl's HEAVY preference for not mixed is stronger than your preference for mixed Old World decks.

I'll be fine with just base OW cards. I'd prefer mixed, but both of these options are good.

Not a big fan of just using the expansion OW cards.

No sig for you!
    I would prefer to incorporate the expert cards in some fashion, but base-only is also acceptable. Flip a coin, or see if Nought has an opinion for one or the other?

I dunno, I feel like the expert cards are worse when not put with the other expert cards.

I mean, last thing you want as Tzeentch is Closing the Portal to go for 4 rounds because a bunch of non-track cards come up.

In any case, I do have a HEAVY IN CAPS preference for either base only or expert only, but I'm still just one guy, and I'll enjoy the game either way, so if most of the other players want to play mixed, I'm fine with that.

DogSig.gif
    We could try a house rule that says expert level OWCs automatically move down the track, even if the card drawn after them is discarded. That would let us play with a Mixed deck without risking one dominating the entire game. Thoughts on that?

Oh, interesting. Yeah, I could probably go with that. Do you know if anybody's tried that? (Or maybe I'm the only person whining about expert OWCs staying on the track too long in mixed OW decks. :P )

DogSig.gif
    I don't mind either way.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    I am honored to be chosen as first runner up.

I'd like to try out Khorne as I haven't played as him yet.

Morrslieb is cool with me and I really do not have an opinion on the Old World Deck contents. Howl's concern is a reasonable one as it Darian's proposed alternative. I will be Captain Unhelpful and not really register a preference.

Trogg wrote: »
    Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.

PSN: QuipFilter
    Okay, we're going to go with the Morrslieb decks and a Mixed Old World deck, but to allay visiblehowl's worry any Expert level card in play (other than the Horned One's Due) will be forced along the track each turn, even if the next card is discarded.

Power assignment: T,W,V,3,D: 5d10000 5497, 4037, 3384, 5798, 8074
    DA, 38thDoe, Timoy, Wylder, visiblehowl

Highest preference is Tmoiy as Nurgle
    Then visiblehowl as the Horned Rat
    The others are assigned in order:
    DevoutlyApathetic as Khorne
    38thDoe as Tzeentch
    Wylder as Slaanesh

I'll set up the game in handtracker next, then you will be able to draw your initial hand of three cards while I finish setting up the opening board and reveal the first Old World card.

Round 1, Old World phase

Skavengers
    Place one Skaven token in each of The Badlands and The Border Princes.
    In the end phase when Old World cards are resolved, the player with the smallest Threat score places one Skaven token in any region where there is at least one Warpstone token, unless there are no Warpstone tokens in play.

No decisions to make, so we'll move on.

citowg57r10.png

Round 1, Draw phase

38thDoe may discard one of his initial three cards before drawing up to 5. Everyone else should go ahead and draw their hand of 5 cards.

Draw 2, 5 in hand, 19 left in deck
    Draw 2 or 3, 5 in hand, 19 or 18 left in deck

Once 38thDoe makes his decision, DA is active to begin the first summoning phase. Good luck, all!

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Sorry about not replying. For some reason I didn't see that I had a PM.

Anyway, good luck and good game to you all :)

Island. Being on fire.
    Aww, and I tried to @Nought call you, as well. New forums! *shakes fist*

You should be able to get into the next one, which I think will be starting soon.

What a delectable, fine, healthy Old World we have ourselves here. How shall I rot thee? Let me count the ways...

Kick off the festivities, brother Khorne!

Bloodsworn to The Border Princes.

6/7 PP.

To Bretonnia, I bestow the gift of plague.

Plaguebearer to Bretonnia. 5/6 PP.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011

No discard.
    I hope my luck changes its ways.
    Acoylte to Troll Country.
    5/6 PP.

38thDoe on
    #NotMyHost

camo_sig2.png
    Delicious!

Seductresses to Kislev.

5/6 PP.

No sig for you!
    Grey Seer in Estalia.

When you play this card, immediately summon two Cultists to this region.

5/6 PP

DogSig.gif
    So many targets! So many suspected tricks! I'm like a kid in a candy shop run by a practical joker!

A candy shop......OF BLOOD.

I just Hate that. I'm focusing that Hate into Estalia and everybody there is invited.

5/6 PP.

edited November 2011
    Plague never stays in one place for long.

Plaguebearer to the Border Princes. 4/6 PP.

Tmoiy on
    Hah, you always were a fool, Khorne. You're nowhere NEAR Estalia right now, you're like......13 regions away!
    Spoiler:

DogSig.gif
    Round 1, Summoning phase

citowg57r11.png

The Old World resists:
    - visiblehowl to place a Skaven at a Warpstone during the end phase

Chaos effects:
    Estalia: Hatred (figures on card cannot be summoned away)

38thDoe is active

Troll Country: For all your acoyltic needs.
    4/6 PP.

#NotMyHost

camo_sig2.png
    Seductress to Kislev.

4/6 PP

No sig for you!
    Cultist to Estalia (what are they, Clan Rats?)

4/6

DogSig.gif
    Yes, delicious, crunchy, blood filled clan rats.

Bloodletter to Bretonnia.

3/7 PP.

edited November 2011
    I'm a fan of tasty rat diseases, myself.

Leper to the Empire, 3/6 PP.

Tmoiy on
    Round 1, Summoning phase

citowg57r12.png

The Old World resists:
    - visiblehowl to place a Skaven at a Warpstone during the end phase

Chaos effects:
    Estalia: Hatred (figures on card cannot be summoned away)

38thDoe is active

Hello?

Sorry to keep you waiting, needed to check my hand.
    3/6 PP.

#NotMyHost

camo_sig2.png
    Play Corrupt from Within to The Empire, moving a noble to Kislev.

3/6 PP.

No sig for you!
    Clan rat to Bretonnia.

3/6 PP

DogSig.gif
    Who will lead the Empire with the noble gone? Such uncertain Terror must be why the Leaper decided to run for Bretonnia.

3/7 PP.

@Tmoiy is active; probably traveling, so we might be taking a break until the weekend/early next week. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, those of you who are in the US.