As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Lily is going to have open heart surgery on Monday to repair her VSD. Don't have much else to say, but any prayers, thoughts, whatever would be appreciated.

Best of wishes go out to you & little Lily.

As scary as it is for you, she won't remember it at all. I barely remember going back when I was 6; mostly just eating mac n' cheese at the hospital and playing with the other kids.

Good to know. I'll be glad when it's over. Surgery starts at 8 am eastern time and will probably be done by noon. Then she'll be in ICU for a day or so until they're satisfied everything went according to plan. The surgeon went over everything that could go wrong with me yesterday. Of course, the odds of this stuff happening is like getting hit by lighting twice, and yet it's still pretty scary.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Anya just slept 9 hrs without a diaper change or feed and now I'm panicking like crazy. :(

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Actually the doctor said not to at night. Still, it seemed an awfully long time to go! But she did cluster feed all last evening (and didn't sleep).

I was so tired I don't even remember falling asleep. One moment it was 2.30 am and I was telling Alex, 'I shouldn't sleep, she'll need feeding soon' and the next it was 7.30 am and light outside...

• Options
    If the doctor said it's okay, I wouldn't worry

• Options
    I mean, you'll worry anyway, but you know :-P

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Just got back from our first pediatrician visit. All thumbs up, he's 5 days old and already gained his birth weight + 4 oz. They said he's good for a month.

The wife let me take a nap and I feel great.

• Options
    Thanks, Quoth! And yeah, not worrying is easier said than done!

Belligerent - wow, is he being formula fed?

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Poor little girl has been a fussbucket since yesterday :( She was so sweet for the first two weeks of her life!

Wow, that's awesome Belligerent.

Can't wait for the appt on Monday and the 500 questions we have for the pediatrician.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    I had zero questions... Don't know if that's bad or not! I'm always afraid that I come across as a disinterested parent.

And aww, hopefully it's just a stage, Syphyre! Is she crying a lot or just being wakeful/fussy?

• Options
    I'm not really the one with my questions; it's mostly my wife. I'm the excellent calm to her worry (quite justified, she wants Jillian to be healthy!)

It seems like she's finally calmed down. I think she had a small bruise/headache for a while, possibly a lot of gas too.

• Options
    I guess she is getting me back right now as she's been awake now for 7 hours

She keeps drifting off (at the boob or when we're walking) only to wake the moment we try to lay her down

We've tried feeding her more, burping her, walking, swaying, swaddling (big big no from her), turning off the lights, being quiet, not being quiet, bathing her, changing her clothes, etc etc

I know at this point she's just over tired.

• Options
    That's the worst... Hope you finally got some sleep

• Options
    We did... Another three hours later she finally fell asleep (snuggled next to me) and then we both slept six straight hours, silly baby!

Honestly the one thing we didn't try but may do next time is a pacifier, as she is always constantly sucking on something, and it's the only thing that seems to keep her quiet! And there is only so much I can take as a human pacifier.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My daughter's peed in her potty seat twice today, the first time announcing "pee pee pee pee" and leading my wife into the bathroom to take her skirt and diaper off. As she's not quite 18 months old we're pretty unbelievably happy.

• Options
    Suuuper rad!

So, does anyone happen to know a good convertible car seat that will fit in the back of a Prius? Apparently everyone is just supposed to buy a minivan when they have a baby now

• Options
    Have you already gotten one that didn't fit? Or are you just anticipating that it won't?

• Options
    Anticipating given the snug fit of our current seat, which is a Graco Snugride 30

Also some preliminary measurements seem to indicate that visibility may be an issue D:

• Options
    Oh. Yikes. We've got a Nissan Versa, which isn't all that big, but we just got a graco whatever and it fit in fine. By convertible do you mean one that can be rear facing, forward facing, and then a booster seat? Or the kind that's got a base you snap it into? Because I can see visibility being a problem if you had one of the bigger seats in the center but when we transitioned our daughter over to that kind we moved her to the passenger side and it hasn't been an issue.

• Options
    I mean the kind that can go from rear to forward, booster later would be nice but eh, we can always get the little standalone booster later

Good to hear it may fit on a side even if not the middle

• Options
    Ours fits... But causes the front passenger seat to have very little leg room! I think so many convertible seats are designed now to go up to large sizes that when rear facing they just jut out so far!

However it doesn't interfere with visibility at all; it's reasonably low. We have the maxi cosi pria 70

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have just read this entire thread from start to finish.

You all have got such gorgeous babies! And so many awesome resources that i've stored away for later use.

<3<3

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Here's a shot from Easter. See if you can guess which one is the baby:

IMG_0524.JPG

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Precious! Does...the rabbit have a belly button tattoo?

Pediatrician appointment this morning. Our little girl is now 22", and is 8 lb 10 oz. Up an inch and up 6 oz! So she's doing well! We got a loooong baby, hehe. But she's cute and precious.

• Options
    Aww, what a cutie!

Syphyre - yay! That's great news. :) and what a long girl indeed!

I still can't get over how petite Anya is. We were just told at every ultrasound what a big baby she was! And here she is still a little too small for some of her newborn clothes! And her head (measured two weeks ahead, consistently) is teeny tiny, barely even 13 inches around.

The pacifier saved our sanity last night! She was mostly awake from 5 pm - 1.30 am, but when she wasn't genuinely hungry (I still fed her often) the pacifier kept her QUIET! And it meant our friends/Mori were able to hold her rather than her needing me specifically. I overdid it on the housework though.

DC - wishing you and Lily all the best for today!

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    My youngest has learned to smile! And he makes happy noises when any family member comes near to him. Maybe it's awful but I'm a lot more interested in him now - up 'til this point he's mostly just sat there, ate, and occasionally cried, but he's more responsive to the world now, so more fun.
    And the girl's learning new words very quickly now - this morning she demanded "eggs!" by name (they're her favorite food).

@DisruptedCapitalist I guess Lily's gonna be out of surgery in a few minutes? /me crosses fingers.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    So, bad news.

The wife was admitted to the hospital on Saturday. Fluid in the lungs and around the heart. Also, Pneumonia. At least I can spell it now, thanks texting.

CT scans should clear her heart of trouble, fingers crossed, I'm at work now and grandma has the boy. I don't even know why I'm posting, other than I guess I needed a non-family member to vent to. I've never been this upset.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Is it possible to get out of work at all? I can't even imagine how you've got to be feeling, I hope it all works out well

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Oh man, I would be a nervous wreck inside. Here's thoughts and prayers to you and your wife belligerent

• Options
    Prayers for you, dude

Pneumonia is a hell of a thing but a young, healthy person should pull out of it with minimal trouble

My old fat dad was in a coma for a month and he's still around, so I'm sure your wife will be just fine :)

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've had pneumonia 5 times in my life.

Keep trying, asshole

• Options
    @belligerent Oh no! That's awful... we'll be sending our positive thoughts/hippie vibrations your way, too.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So, bad news.

The wife was admitted to the hospital on Saturday. Fluid in the lungs and around the heart. Also, Pneumonia. At least I can spell it now, thanks texting.

CT scans should clear her heart of trouble, fingers crossed, I'm at work now and grandma has the boy. I don't even know why I'm posting, other than I guess I needed a non-family member to vent to. I've never been this upset.

Best wishes man. :(

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So. My son came home from school with this drawing today.

sZPMx.jpg

• Options
    josh, I'll be honest. I stared at it for a few moments then broke out laughing.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That's amazing.

I love that he even did the sprinkles on the body.

• Options
    Belligerent, so sorry to hear about your wife! I hope she makes a swift and full recovery.

Josh, I echo Syphyre's reaction. Took a moment for me to get it, and then it put a huge smile upon my face!

My mother is here! We went to meet her at the airport and only afterwards did it occur to me that taking a 2 week old to an international airport was perhaps not the wisest move... Oh well, she stayed close to me and wasn't touched by anyone.

My mother later attempted to hand me a slice of very crumbly cake... cue crumbs all over Anya. They went in her hair, the creases of her neck, down her onesie, all over her blanket; even into her mouth, which sent my mother into a blind panic. But the crumbs were so fine that I can't believe two or three would present a problem.

• Options
    The first food my wife ever ate was cake and icing, and I think it was the day after she was born. She turned out fine, if a bit fond of cake.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Haha, good to know! And with what I had cravings for in the third tri I fear Anya's doomed to having a sweet tooth anyway. ;)

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Sorry for the delay on giving an update; I'm still in the 20th century and don't have a smart phone.

Anyway, Lily is OK! Doctors took her from us at 7:30am and brought her back at 1:30pm with a lot of tubes sticking out of her, but they say everything went according to plan. They repaired her VSD, ASD, and the cleft mitral valve. They also discovered that her ductus arteriosus still hadn't closed-- contrary to what they originally thought-- so they clamped that shut too. I would have taken her picture but they don't allow photography in the ICU.

OMG Josh your son is EPIC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9UI8dGvdZc

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.