As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney Universe: Cinderella kicking Tron's ass

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
Disney_Universe_32329.jpg
Disney-Universe-New-multiplayer-game.jpg

Disney Universe is Disney's attempt to get some moneys from the LEGO/LittleBigPlanet popularity and, truth be told, they did a pretty good job. There's a demo and it's pretty darn fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26tVAhdL64w&feature=related
The main attraction of the game is that players can put on costumes resembling 45 (But More franchises on 360/PS3 Version) characters from classic and contemporary Disney and Pixar properties (including a few Third-Party franchises), such as those from Alice in Wonderland, Tron: Legacy, Monsters, Inc., Lilo & Stitch, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, Mickey Mouse, Robin Hood, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, The Princess and the Frog, 101 Dalmatians, Cinderella, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Hercules, Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure, The Jungle Book, Tangled, WALL-E, Finding Nemo, and The Muppets.

Every costume comes with a "tool" that can be levelled up, unlocking additional abilities and making it stronger. There's six worlds, each with three areas (divided into 4 levels) and a boss:
Alice in Wonderland
Pirates of the Caribbean
Monsters Inc.
WALL-E
Aladdin
The Lion King

First DLC is out on the 15th and let's you play as villains which is the whole damn reason I bought the game.

It's release could not be timed poorer but it is getting some good reviews; the gameplay is fun if not repetitive. It's 70% co-op but you can certainly get competitive in several challenges, fuck each other up as well as compete to get Stars, the things that level up costumes.

Magic Pink on

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I was kind of interested in this game. I played the demo and didn't hate it, but how much to it is there? Unlockables? Anything else besides the main game?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    redfield85 wrote:
    I was kind of interested in this game. I played the demo and didn't hate it, but how much to it is there? Unlockables? Anything else besides the main game?

Well, there 45+ costumes, you have to buy them with in game money to use and there's worlds you have to buy with in game money. Every suit can be levelled up 3 times and there looks to be tons of DLC coming down the pipe including more worlds.

So lots of unlockables but not much to do once the game is done other then levelling suits if you don't get the DLC. It's very like a LEGO game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    The thread title lead me to believe this was going to be a Disneyesque Smash Brothers game.

Still, this looks interesting.

• Options
    Valleo wrote:
    The thread title lead me to believe this was going to be a Disneyesque Smash Brothers game.

Still, this looks interesting.

Some parts of it are. There's Challenge Stations that look like arcade cabinetss that start mini games where you try to out perform the other players for money. Also, during the main game you can beat up, pick up and throw each other around so you can get all the best money piles.

• Options
    Aw, balls. Turns out all the costumes play exactly the same (or close enough that I'm not noticing a difference). The "tool" is basically just a stick you whap monsters with and the graphic for it just changes three times.

I am disappoint.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I figured that much. Did they make mention of DLC worlds or are we just assuming?

I don't think this is going to be worth full price for me with everything else that is coming out.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Yeah, they've said there will be full worlds to download. It's even stated in the packaging.

And the levels are pretty fun provided you turn off the Help Arrows. I just think they missed a huge opportunity for re-play value and overall fun by making all the costumes play the same. They don't even have different animations or anything.