As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    How is Fear 3?

I've owned Fear, and I would love to have it on Steam instead of hauling out the 6+ discs to play it, but I'm kind of wavering on the price of the whole bundle.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So many gaaaaaames.

What's the consensus on Payday? I've had it on my wish list since launch. If I love L4D, is Payday going to be fun? Are there still active players?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Also, K&L2. Worth $3.xx? It looks pretty cool. Never played the first one, but it gave us Giantbomb.com, so the series can't be all bad, right?

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote:
    The new one is pretty good if you're not into being too stealthy and you just want a half decent story. Only issue is it kind of relies on you knowing the characters. The others you really do have to love creeping around.

I mean you can still be stealthy and then when you're tired of skulking around, just mark and execute everyone left in the room. I absolutely loved the game and hadn't played more than to the CIA mission of the first one. The story fits well into the game. You don't get lost in backstory. They fill in the elements that need to be and leave hanging the elements that don't need to be explained. The gameplay was tight and the visual style is strong.

I think the more agressive stealth made for a nice pacing to the action. You can still be pretty stealthy most of the time and I didn't mind the occasional forced frontal encounter. I figure that even if you're a dude specialized in being really stealthy sometimes in your missions you'll end up in situations where stealth isn't really an option. The only problem is that near the end of the game there were just too many areas with forced combat that gave you very little room to hide and relocate, the helicopter sequence being the worst offender.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Question with an obvious answer, but just want to make SURE sure... If I purchase a cart full of stuff as a gift to divy out later, I can claim some of those 'gifts' for myself, yes?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Also, K&L2. Worth $3.xx? It looks pretty cool. Never played the first one, but it gave us Giantbomb.com, so the series can't be all bad, right?

Yahtzee said it's the worst game ever.

I mean, he's not exactly a font of praise for anything.

But worst.

Looking at the Splinter Cells today. I already own em all on original Xbox format, but damn if it wouldn't be convenient to play em on PC...

ALSO!

Anyone buying Splinter Cell Conviction today; I will be your Co Op Buddy <3

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    I haven't been in the Steam thread since I've been sucked in by TOR, but let it be known that iolo continues to be a classy gent and he gifted me The Witcher!

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote:
    Question with an obvious answer, but just want to make SURE sure... If I purchase a cart full of stuff as a gift to divy out later, I can claim some of those 'gifts' for myself, yes?

yes, if there is no other way just gift them to your email address

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

But worst.

Looking at the Splinter Cells today. I already own em all on original Xbox format, but damn if it wouldn't be convenient to play em on PC...

ALSO!

Anyone buying Splinter Cell Conviction today; I will be your Co Op Buddy <3

Note that Pandora Tomorrow is not available on Steam. Never figured out why.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Download the demo, it's a perfect representation of the full game.

The grainy, shaky, camera-phone video style will either make the generic and repetitive man-shooting gameplay seem more intense and visceral or make you hate the game even more.

The plot is nihilistic and bleak, all the characters are horrible human beings, the two main characters are total fuck-ups.

The single player is extremely, extremely short yet feels padded out at times.

The multiplayer is awesome, but there's next to no multiplayer community left except for brief flareups during sales. You can play the multiplayer modes in the singleplayer Arcade Mode, but it's not quite the same.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    It has very mixed reviews.
    It's a franchise sale, so the first one is also on sale if you're curious.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    I was having dinner at my cousin's place when I got an email alert on my phone. It turns out that that classy gent classyg.pngAPODionysusclassy2.png gifted me a copy of Limbo!
    Thank you very much for that wonderfull game! <3 (won't be able to redeem it until I go back home).

• Options
    Splinter Cell Conviction is my favorite in the series. It makes you a little less sneaky ninja and a little more Jack Bauer. You can sneak all the time, but there are plenty of opportunities for just devastating a mass of baddies, and picking off the rest in a quick firefight. The mark & execute system where you can queue up headshots and release them in a series with one button press is great for clearing small groups of guards. It keeps the game fast paced, so you don't have to play "turn out the lights and wait for someone to come check on the lightswitch."

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Wow. I hop on my computer at 101 to do some gifting before I had to catch my 122 train to work.

I was hammered with gifts myself!

Thank you @psiberian for Left 4 Dead 2. I've never played a L4D game and very much look forward to massacring zombies.

Also a thank you to @Taranis for Limbo which Ive wanted forever!

EDIT: my email tells me I also need to thank @bloodatonement for Costume Quest (which will be redeemed when I get home tonight!)

Thanks to all the classy gentlemen!

I'm gonna have to do another round of gifting when I get home from work!

APODionysus on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I haven't kept up with the thread the last couple of days, so I don't know who the major gifters has been, but Taranis just bought me Limbo. He is a crazy ninja santa.

I don't play that much Civ 5, but I feel like I should get the Denmark DLC.

• Options
    anybody that picks up Convivtion make sure you play the co op, it's easily as good as the single player

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

But worst.

Two of my favorite games of last year, Alpha Protocol and Kane & Lynch 2, also showed up on a good number of "worst games of the year" lists.

This either means that critical consensus is not always the best judge of a game, or that I have the world's worst taste in games. Or both.

Also, speaking of Alpha Protocol, if someone made a game matching AP's plot, writing, and branching narrative with the combat and gameplay of Splinter Cell: Conviction, it'd be the best thing ever.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    I haven't kept up with the thread the last couple of days, so I don't know who the major gifters has been, but Taranis just bought me Limbo. He is a crazy ninja santa.

I don't play that much Civ 5, but I feel like I should get the Denmark DLC.

I am very tempted to pick up the extra wonders. I should check to see if they're any good.

• Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    Think I might actually be escape today's sale without getting anything my wallet can sleep soundly... if I wasn't going to the cinema

teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    Sounds like K&L2 might be worth at least three bucks to me. I enjoy super short shooters, and the grainy shaky-cam business is attractive to me. At least in a short game. Don't think I could handle it for 15+ hours.

It's going on the wish list. Gotta see how today's gifting spree plays out!

• Options
    captaink wrote:

Huh. That is...

Huh.

Anyone know if Double Agent is playable on PC? IIRC, there were like 5 different versions of that game or something. Which one got ported?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote:
    anybody that picks up Convivtion make sure you play the co op, it's easily as good as the single player

That and the Portal 2 co-op are on my to do list of things I need to find time for after graduation in (crap!) three weeks.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Decided against Limbo once I realized how cheap The Witcher was. So I made a giveaway!

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/o97oO/the-witcher-enhanced-edition-directors-cut

Open to anyone in the Penny Arcade steam group. :)

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Lawndart wrote:

But worst.

Two of my favorite games of last year, Alpha Protocol and Kane & Lynch 2, also showed up on a good number of "worst games of the year" lists.

This either means that critical consensus is not always the best judge of a game, or that I have the world's worst taste in games. Or both.

Also, speaking of Alpha Protocol, if someone made a game matching AP's plot, writing, and branching narrative with the combat and gameplay of Splinter Cell: Conviction, it'd be the best thing ever.

I agree on AP. Such great writing and plot mechanics. So-so gunplay and stealth, but the experience is fantastic overall.

Also, AP had the best tutorial mission ever. So great.

minor incident on
  • Options
    captaink wrote:

Huh. That is...

Huh.

Anyone know if Double Agent is playable on PC? IIRC, there were like 5 different versions of that game or something. Which one got ported?

I've tried playing through it twice and the last level bugs out on me so I can't finish it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:

Huh. That is...

Huh.

Pandora Tomorrow has some sort of song they don't have the license for or whatever so they can't sell it. Double Agent is the 360 version, pretty much.

• Options
    Is Cities XL the Chris Sawyer game?

teddiepicture-1.jpg
  • Options
    Double Agent is the only one I've skipped. I always thought the premise was really cool. Does it play closer to Conviction or the first 3?

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011

Don't think so... aren't you thinking of Cities in Motion?

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Sounds like K&L2 might be worth at least three bucks to me. I enjoy super short shooters, and the grainy shaky-cam business is attractive to me. At least in a short game. Don't think I could handle it for 15+ hours.

It's going on the wish list. Gotta see how today's gifting spree plays out!

It's worth it Minor. Someone gifted it to me last year during the Christmas sale. Lord Yod and I got a couple sessions of the co-op in and it's fun stuff. The plot gets pretty crazy, but it's still fun. Especially when you throw a propane tank off a second story window and shoot it in midair over some dudes shooting at you!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Sumanai wrote:

Don't think so... aren't thinking of Cities in Motion?

Yeah just did some googling it is Cities in Motion

teddiepicture-1.jpg
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    How is Payday - good, bad, ugly? It looks pretty sweet. I think the robbery thing fits the LFD formula pretty well.

• Options
    Double Agent is the only one I've skipped. I always thought the premise was really cool. Does it play closer to Conviction or the first 3?

This is something I wanna know. I have not actually played Chaos Theory or Double Agent.

But I loved the hell out of Conviction and only liked the original and Pandora Tomorrow.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Only one more day left to hope for a sale that hasn't come up yet... :(
    I want my Dawn of War dlc EVEN CHEAPER. Come on, newell...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited November 2011

closer to the first 3. it's not a bad game really, just not as good as Chaos Theory
    This is something I wanna know. I have not actually played Chaos Theory or Double Agent.

But I loved the hell out of Conviction and only liked the original and Pandora Tomorrow.

you owe it to yourself to play Chaos Theory, it is without a doubt the best Splinter Cell

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:

Huh. That is...

Huh.

Pandora Tomorrow has some sort of song they don't have the license for or whatever so they can't sell it. Double Agent is the 360 version, pretty much.

DA played fine for me a few months back. Allegedly the Wii/PS2 version is a better game.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

I agree. I liked the first 3, but they felt a little one-note. Conviction added enough action and variety to fit nicely without overdoing it. I loved it.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Are there any Tom Clancy games thare are just poop? I've played the Splinter Cell stuff but most of the shooters I have not. Might snag one.

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Only one more day left to hope for a sale that hasn't come up yet... :(
    I want my Dawn of War dlc EVEN CHEAPER. Come on, newell...

You're a stronger person than me, bought way too much DoW DLC during this sale ;)

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    @Yorker just ninja gifted me the Denmark dlc for Civ V. Of course it'd be Vikings. Thanks!

XBL: Flex MythoMass