As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Give me [Snow] or give me death

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    It's not worth living in a place that's more than 2 hours from the slopes (4 if you live in SF).

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    A bit late to this part of the conversation, but in terms of safety gear when snow boarding:

I personally wear my helmet and wrist guards, and that's it. I find knee guards to be way too restricting for snowboarding. I'm sure I'll break a knee at some point because of this, but meh.

Wrist guards and a helmet are essential though. Those are the most likely places to make high speed contact with objects while snow boarding.

I'm much like you... then I found this:

http://g-form.com/our-products/athletics/

Protection without the constraints!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    Heading up again this weekend! Doesn't look to be the best conditions and probably will be busy as fuck but I'll just do the backside and take it easy.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Just got back from a day at the slopes with a friend. Good stuff!
    romme02.jpg
    romme03.jpg

Another great day on the slopes but...so many people. Lift lines were longer but not terrible but the sheer amount of people was annoying. Almost ran over someone that fell right in front of me. also kinda mad I got a late start and showed up 10:30, not 9:30 like I usually want to.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i went for my first day of the season
    of course, living in brooklyn, which is the furthest part of ny to get to any mountain cuz the bus starts here, then goes to manhattan, then gets to the mountain... (which is not very big and full of ny/nj people), well, i left my apartment at 5:30AM and got back at 8:30PM
    but it was a good day overall, good snow given the location, though i am so terribly out of shape, and i need to fix that
    not sure what i oughta do for my legs, but yeah, way more out of shape than last year
    mrt144 wrote: »
    It's not worth living in a place that's more than 2 hours from the slopes (4 if you live in SF).

someday i will move maybe, that would be nice

that's why i suck at snowboarding, i don't get to go very often, and learned relatively late

i managed 13 days last year, but that is rare, i mean, the year before that i did 0 cuz i was worried about my knee, the year before my season got cut short because of hurting my knee, and 2 years before that i only went a couple days

and then before that i hadnt gone in years

need to get more days in if i want to not be terrible

also mrt got your pm, i dno what we're doing yet tho

poo
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    A bit late to this part of the conversation, but in terms of safety gear when snow boarding:

I personally wear my helmet and wrist guards, and that's it. I find knee guards to be way too restricting for snowboarding. I'm sure I'll break a knee at some point because of this, but meh.

Wrist guards and a helmet are essential though. Those are the most likely places to make high speed contact with objects while snow boarding.

I'm much like you... then I found this:

http://g-form.com/our-products/athletics/

Protection without the constraints!

Ooh that's smart. I need pretty much all the protection I can get if I'm going boarding again, and that looks like something I could really use.

pew pew pew booked my jay peak trip, jay peak is fun

poo
    woowoo!

• OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    I just broke out my snowboard yesterday after 10-12 years of never making it to the slopes. First run was a little... "rough" we'll say. Didn't have my one boot laced tight enough and ended up hurting my ankle. Went in for lunch and let it recover a bit and went back out (with a tigher boot) and did pretty well. Kinda surprised how fast it all came back. That said, I'm still (re)learning it. Had the problem of everytime I went to cut back (heel-side, I got toe-side down finally), I spun around into switch stance. Didn't necessarily bother me (I actually may be goofy footed and not realize it...) but I needa keep working on it.

Always fun when you're trying to remember what the hell your doing and you have someone flag you down to ask "How did you do that? Stopping without falling, I mean?"

P.S. East coast needs a good snowstorm. Or I need friends who'll go on a ski/boarding trip.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Make sure your board and bindings are tuned. That could contribute to some problems if your edges aren't sharp, and bindings aren't tightened up.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    when's the best time to buy skis and stuff? I've heard that summer is the best time for it. Renting adds up quickly if you go more than once a season so I was thinking of doing that maybe sometime soon when I have money.

Also my wife loves skiing and I'm okay at it I guess but sometimes I want to try snowboarding again, since I feel like I didn't spend enough time with it to really decide if I liked it or not.

Mostly I feel like it would be a pain in the ass to get on/off a lift when one person has skis and the other person has a snowboard.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oricalm wrote: »
    I just broke out my snowboard yesterday after 10-12 years of never making it to the slopes. First run was a little... "rough" we'll say. Didn't have my one boot laced tight enough and ended up hurting my ankle. Went in for lunch and let it recover a bit and went back out (with a tigher boot) and did pretty well. Kinda surprised how fast it all came back. That said, I'm still (re)learning it. Had the problem of everytime I went to cut back (heel-side, I got toe-side down finally), I spun around into switch stance. Didn't necessarily bother me (I actually may be goofy footed and not realize it...) but I needa keep working on it.

Always fun when you're trying to remember what the hell your doing and you have someone flag you down to ask "How did you do that? Stopping without falling, I mean?"

P.S. East coast needs a good snowstorm. Or I need friends who'll go on a ski/boarding trip.

I do my snowboarding roundabout your area sometimes. There's some good meetup groups for the area for getting trips together.

What is this I don't even.
    when's the best time to buy skis and stuff? I've heard that summer is the best time for it. Renting adds up quickly if you go more than once a season so I was thinking of doing that maybe sometime soon when I have money.

Also my wife loves skiing and I'm okay at it I guess but sometimes I want to try snowboarding again, since I feel like I didn't spend enough time with it to really decide if I liked it or not.

Mostly I feel like it would be a pain in the ass to get on/off a lift when one person has skis and the other person has a snowboard.

Summer is not the time to buy stuff. The best time to buy stuff is the exact week when the season is ending, and all of the stores want to sell all the winter crap so they don't have to ship it back to the warehouse, because they're about to convert the space over to water sports or summer sports.

Yeah, just start looking as soon as the season starts winding down. If you have a weird body size, you might have to not wait until everything is on final closeout, but you should still be able to get decent deals.

Hey Penny Arcadians, Jan 26th, what yall doin? Wanna go to Steven's Pass and ski/snowboard? I fucking do.

I actually...might be up there myself that day, coincidentally. Visitors in from out of town and we'll likely be skiing the 26th.

LTM wrote: »
    I actually...might be up there myself that day, coincidentally. Visitors in from out of town and we'll likely be skiing the 26th.

Nice! Yeah, i just want to coordinate a ride early

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Summer is not the time to buy stuff. The best time to buy stuff is the exact week when the season is ending, and all of the stores want to sell all the winter crap so they don't have to ship it back to the warehouse, because they're about to convert the space over to water sports or summer sports.

Ah, that makes sense. What about brands? Are there some brands I should avoid? I am a relative beginner, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I wish I had some vacation left, since it snowed a bunch in Tahoe this winter and I haven't been able to take advantage of the fresh snow.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Ah, that makes sense. What about brands? Are there some brands I should avoid? I am a relative beginner, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I wish I had some vacation left, since it snowed a bunch in Tahoe this winter and I haven't been able to take advantage of the fresh snow.

Honestly, just go up the last week or early season and buy a prior season demo. You can get everything super cheap. My ladyfriend was able to score a nice set with bindings (Volkl Tierras) for $225. Also, demo during the season to find the sorts of skis you like, as there's no "One Ski" or specific model that's great for everyone.

end of season is the best time
    last year i bought a board at full price but it was one of those brands that never seems to go on sale and i had my eye on it, but, my first snowboard i got for 50% off around march

man, one thing i am truly terrible at is riding switch

last year i had a day at a shitty mountain alone (my friend missed the bus) and i tried riding switch on one of the easy trails... and it was silly, i feel so uncomfortable engaging and linking switch turns and fell down as bad as any beginner (and I can't say i'm good, but I'm at least an intermediate when riding regular)

that mental block, i dunno

poo
    God, the forecast for the next few weeks is fucking awful.

Yeah, I'm coming to realize I may not actually ski again this year.

Buddies are already setting up group cycling rides.

At least I got one good day in...

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    It's the normal January high pressure cycle. Come the end of the month/early February, we'll get storm cycles again.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    All the snow is gone. All of it! I am sad.

steam_sig.png
    soooo ya'll gone have any snow when i'm out there feb 1

is it looking like no

that's sad

poo
    edited January 2013
    soooo ya'll gone have any snow when i'm out there feb 1

is it looking like no

that's sad

I hope we do. I have that day off. Worst case scenario, its gonna be like east coast conditions, but better.

mrt144 on
    Pretty much everything in the U.S. is fucked right now, and I booked all the time off and was freaking ready to go. So off to Stowe we go this weekend.

Pretty much everything in the U.S. is fucked right now, and I booked all the time off and was freaking ready to go. So off to Stowe we go this weekend.

Hows it looking over in Europe? is it too late?

mrt144 wrote: »

Hows it looking over in Europe? is it too late?

I meant to say, "U.S. east coast." Vermont looks decent enough for my sensibilities.

Plenty of snow in sweden. No snowboarding this weekend but the next one promises -20C and loads of sun and at least 1 day in the slopes.

Vermont should be good this weekend I think, Stowe would be good to go to

poo
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Vermont should be good this weekend I think, Stowe would be good to go to

In the not-mountains we just got a couple inches, but last I heard the resorts are all up and running.

Edit: Stowe is at 84/114 trails right now, though it is quite cold out today. Saturday looks like it will be nice, though, in the 30s.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    o hi forecast

poo
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    2n72gc1.jpg

Went up to Tahoe for the long weekend. Perfect weather and still plenty of snow. Got a bit crowded on sunday, but not too bad.
    Looks like more snow midweek and this weekend. Thinking of heading up again on superbowl weekend, should be decent conditions and no one else on the mountain!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    Lovely picture

snow forecasted for the next 3 days up at Steven's about 8 inches over 3 days. Cmon snow, pick up.

eMoander wrote: »
    2n72gc1.jpg

Went up to Tahoe for the long weekend. Perfect weather and still plenty of snow. Got a bit crowded on sunday, but not too bad.
    Looks like more snow midweek and this weekend. Thinking of heading up again on superbowl weekend, should be decent conditions and no one else on the mountain!

Which hill is that?

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    http://www.tahoedonner.com/downhill-ski/

I have a cabin less than a mile from the slope. It's just a couple of lifts and geared towards beginners, but great if you have kids who are good enough to not have to be on the bunny slope with the screaming 5 year olds.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    when i go to Tahoe I usually go to Squaw or Northstar. Although the last time I went to Northstar it was mostly ice, which wasn't too great for a guy still learning how to ski...