As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Installing a deck in a new car

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm picking up my new car today (2011 Matrix) and I decided that instead of paying $1700 to the dealer for their Alpine upgrade (only available deck upgrade from them), I would just buy a deck myself afterward. I'm looking at this one:

10166611.jpg
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD

The car already has AUX and Bluetooth, but I wanted something with USB, and also something a bit nicer looking.

My question is, how the heck do these decks go into new cars? I've installed single DIM decks before in older cars (early 2000, mid 90) without issue, and every time the old deck was the exact same size as the new deck. Now, there are little accents on the dash that make it so an aftermarket deck will leave gaps. How is this corrected? I've heard of deck kits, but I can't seem to find any further info on them for my car.

As you can see from the Matrix's dash:

Toyota-Matrix_2011_Wheel-and-Dash.jpg

Not only is the deck not an even rectangle, but there are going to be gaps on the side where the volume and tuner knobs were. Any ideas here?

Also, I'm assuming on-wheel controls play nice with aftermarket decks?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    www.crutchfield.com is your best friend in the world

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    A little googling suggests that there is no dash kit for the 2011 yet. One forum had people discussing retrofitting in 2010 dash pieces so they could get a dash kit that fits.

As for the steering wheel controls playing nice with aftermarket stereos - sometimes.