As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Official I hate [Final Fantasy]Thread. Unlike 13-2, has an ending.

1939495969799»

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    Question about 13-1:

Since the only stats in this game appear to be strength and magic, is defense calculated based on strength? Or is defense even in this game at all?

I.E. if an attack hits me for 200 damage now, will it always hit for 200 or at some point will it do less?

I'm just curious because I see all these +strength nodes in the Ravager crystarium. If strength only adds to physical attacks, this doesn't make much sense because ravagers are just using magic all the time.

I'm about to finish Chapter 11 (in the tower) and it's pretty rad once you start getting all the -aga spells...although there are MANY times where Hope is a doofus and just uses level 1 spells when he CLEARLY should be using level 3 spells. I don't really get the AI there. I imagine it has something to do with enemy grouping but even then he seems really inconsistent with what he uses.

I know I could make him my leader and just do it myself but his HP is so low that I don't want him to die.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Question about 13-1:

Since the only stats in this game appear to be strength and magic, is defense calculated based on strength? Or is defense even in this game at all?

I.E. if an attack hits me for 200 damage now, will it always hit for 200 or at some point will it do less?

I'm just curious because I see all these +strength nodes in the Ravager crystarium. If strength only adds to physical attacks, this doesn't make much sense because ravagers are just using magic all the time.

I'm about to finish Chapter 11 (in the tower) and it's pretty rad once you start getting all the -aga spells...although there are MANY times where Hope is a doofus and just uses level 1 spells when he CLEARLY should be using level 3 spells. I don't really get the AI there. I imagine it has something to do with enemy grouping but even then he seems really inconsistent with what he uses.

I know I could make him my leader and just do it myself but his HP is so low that I don't want him to die.

No defense stat. Defense isn't based on Strength either, it's just a flat damage that is reduced via SYN spells or equipment. Plenty of gear that reduces physical damage incoming. SEN have built in defenses, which makes them so ideal for soaking big attacks; and several characters have abilities for SEN to reduce the parties damage for area attacks.

And yes, the AI is stupid in XIII regarding area vs single target. A nice feature in XIII-2 is the option when setting up paradigms to designate whether you want them to focus attack or use aoe attacks and such.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the clarification. I still don't quite understand why there are +strength nodes in the ravager crystarium, but at least that clarifies things!

That's good to hear that SEN eventually gets abilities that reduce damage for the whole party. There have been a couple battles I've had to admit defeat that I plan to come back to because of high-damage AOE attacks.

House of Paincakes on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I apologize, I've delved the last few pages of this thread but I can't find the monster raising guide(s) someone linked a few pages back. Does someone have them handy?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    [img][/img]
    Thanks for the clarification. I still don't quite understand why there are +strength nodes in the ravager crystarium, but at least that clarifies things!

That's good to hear that SEN eventually gets abilities that reduce damage for the whole party. There have been a couple battles I've had to admit defeat that I plan to come back to because of high-damage AOE attacks.

I'm pretty sure the damage on things like Shockstrike and whatnot are based on STR.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote:
    Wait, you get items from doing the races?

Shiiiiiit.

Time to go get that damned Silver Chocobo, I guess. It's also apparently the best SEN in the game, although that Bunkerbeast I have is also considered really great. Not sure if going potents for the Silver is best, or going vitalities will still leave him with the skills to be a great racing chocobo. (I.e., can he serve double duty, or what.)

Maybe I'll use the Silver as a sentinel, and make the Golden Chocobo a racer instead. He's a tolerable COM as well, but there are so much better COMs out there, like Chichu.

Apparently giving the Chichu all Power items is the best way for him, since you only give a shit about his attack, and with 100% power items he gets 1500 attack and attacks pretty much as fast as he can animate.

Are you sure about the Chichu thing?

I was under the impression that ruin/ruinga relied on the magic stat, and any enemy that is physical immune/resistant or Magic weak, the game is going to choose Ruin for.

Which...are quite a few enemies.

Chichu has Armor Breaker, which essentially ignores their resistance.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh GOD... DAMN... Barthandelus!

I did not do near enough damage when he cast doom on me... That's a fairly substantial amount of my time I'll never get back.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote:
    Anyone get the Lightning/Amodar DLC yet? I want it but no point in getting it if I'm too under-leveled to enjoy it.

I don't have it but I know about it. Basically it gives you one of the best Ravagers in the game (Lightning) and one of the better Commandos (Amodar), though I don't know if Amodar has the potential to be better than Chichu yet. Lightning only gets 15 levels in the Crystarium, and I'm unsure how much Amodar gets.

They only have 600,000 HP a piece, you could probably do it without max levels.
    Tell us what really matters, though.

Can Lightning wear hats?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote:
    Rizzi wrote:
    I'm not entirely certain I know what I'm doing in combat yet.
    I feel horrible just hitting the Auto-chain ability, but I can't tell if any of my abilities actually do more damage than any of the others. I have some sort of a robot that seems like it's acting as a tank for me though, so that's kinda cool.

So for combat in XIII/-2, it is not really about choosing single abilities that do the most damage, sounds silly, I know. Once you've fought the monster a few time/cast Libra, your auto chain will pick the most favorible ability. The most important thing is staggering the enemies.

You may have noticed when attacking the monsters (with RAV), that the stagger bar goes up, but then rapidly falls. To avoid that fall, you need to hit the monster with a COM. That will greatly slow the rate of decay of the stagger bar, enabling your RAVs to make progress toward staggering the monster.

I would say, for most random encounters (especially when learning the game) COM/RAV/RAV is a great go-to paradigm. If you have a SEN/COM/RAV or COM/RAV/MED on all the time, you have a "wasted" slot for most fights.

What are SEN and MED for then, you may ask. They are to display the dynamic nature of the paradigm system. When you need healing, swap your COM/RAV/RAV for SEN/MED/MED. This will very quickly get everone back up to full, and you can swap back to COM/RAV/RAV.

SYN and SAB will certainly make your life easier as well, but, like MED and SEN are for focused purposes. Start a fight with a rough monster? SEN/SYN/SAB to buff/debuff, then maybe SEN/MED/MED to heal up, and on to COM/RAV/RAV to decimate the foes.

The paradigm system makes for some pretty crazy fight strategies, and is certainly the high point of the XIII/-2 for me.

A++ post. This is how I feel about the XIII games.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Seeing how FFXIII-2 starts makes me want to finish the first one even more.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    If you're talking about the opening cutscene and Lightning gameplay, the first doesn't end anything like that.

It ends with a Leona Lewis song instead.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    If you're talking about the opening cutscene and Lightning gameplay, the first doesn't end anything like that.

The opening just makes me real curious as to how they reach that point. Also, the sister is alive again for some reason.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Are people seriously throwing around XIII spoilers? I can't be the only one who still hasn't finished it.

steam_sig.png
    Eh, the thing about the sister is pretty obvious though. She is the one holding the bow in the pictures.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote:

The opening just makes me real curious as to how they reach that point. Also, the sister is alive again for some reason.
    Uh, Serah never died.

Also, we've got a new FF thread for a reason. Post in there.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid