As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario series] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Ugh, today noone was able to beat a single of my stages... So frustrating, how easy do I have to make them!

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well, the only other people playing right now are members of the gaming journalism community right? I mean, not being able to play the stuff they need to write about is kind of a staple.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    carmofin wrote: »
    Ugh, today noone was able to beat a single of my stages... So frustrating, how easy do I have to make them!

Your levels are--hard.

I mean, I love the concept of the Metroid one, but littering it with death spines on every single screen makes it much more inaccessible than it should be.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Oh I don't mean the Metroid level!
    I'm just soso, so if I make a stage that poses a comfortable challenge for me I assume that the general public could beat it easily but noooope...

PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm just soso, so if I make a stage that poses a comfortable challenge for me I assume that the general public could beat it easily but noooope...

Remember, these are game journalists. I think it is a rule that they suck at video games. :P Seriously, Andre from GameXplain (who completely sequence broke your Metroid level) and probably Jeremy Parish are the only two I know with the game who likely have any actual skill. Maybe Chris Kohler.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I made a stage to address my problem: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAEVHhnA1ScCg
    (and yes, I did put a star in there, from what I have learnt, you can never be too safe!)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    I made a stage to address my problem: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAEVHhnA1ScCg
    (and yes, I did put a star in there, from what I have learnt, you can never be too safe!)

I love you.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

I just commented on your post. I love it so much!

It might need to be a bit easier though. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Add a conveyor belt :)

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Reminds me of this:
    i-7nJ4QVq-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Are people importing the game? howd you get it so early?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Review copies

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Remember, these are game journalists. I think it is a rule that they suck at video games. :P Seriously, Andre from GameXplain (who completely sequence broke your Metroid level) and probably Jeremy Parish are the only two I know with the game who likely have any actual skill. Maybe Chris Kohler.

Bleh. =P

Carmofin: I'd like to play your levels whenever I get mine. I'm not a speedrunner or anything, but I'm usually alright at Mario. At the very least, I managed to get through that one precision-timed level on the demo when no one else at the Media Showcase when no one else could.

Edit: Oh, just found this:
    The Daily Mario: Day 5 with Super Mario Maker | I'll Be Dammed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8vzROpJPI

Jeremy ditches considerate design in favor of recreating one of gaming's most infamous platformer challenges: The underwater dam stage from Konami's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES. Be afraid.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Mario Maker has crazy good potential for DLC. So many powerups, level themes, game styles etc... and slopes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It would have to be free DLC, since you can save and edit anyone's level.

Can you imagine the frustration if the game told you "sorry, this level has slopes, we can't let you edit it until you purchase this thing?"

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    It would just mean you couldn't save levels with content you didn't own.

Nothing wrong with that.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, you could either edit, but not save, levels with items you don't own. Or, just let you save anyways. You can't upload other levels you've edited anyways. At worst, you're "exploiting" having one level you can't upload or share. Which means at best you can spin it as a "try before you buy" feature. And if you want the full toolset to upload levels with, you can buy the pack.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Man, Mario Maker is so weird. They're missing a lot of obvious stuff (slopes, ice, various power-ups). But they threw in so much unexpected shit that it's really hard to complain too much.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I really can't wait to see how absolutely prime evil I can be with this thing. The worst part is, I've got to actually be able to beat the levels I make before I can tempt any of you suckers people into trying your luck.

You know, a small detail people forgets about the original Kaizo hack is that the levels were meant to be completed by an actual human being. So while there's a lot you can't remake from it in Mario Maker (the bosses, the dolphins, slopes and probably the infamous kaizo trap) you can make an equally wicked version of them, complete them after several tries and unleash said level on unsuspecting grandmas.

• Options
    Zython wrote: »
    Man, Mario Maker is so weird. They're missing a lot of obvious stuff (slopes, ice, various power-ups)

j3p32iccgmc4.png

But yeah, you're still right.

I dunno, I think it's fine without that stuff. It's good to give people what they need to make a level interesting without being overwhelmed or needing to test the game ad infinitum to account for every weird physics combination that can happen.

Some of it could be tied to the desire to make every stage possible to complete. Some glitch that happens when you position a Mario World dolphin just right to push Mario inside a slope so you can travel through a solid wall, so a player with knowledge of the glitch can upload and practically no one else could ever complete the level, that sort of thing. The more effects, the more weird possibilities like that.

But there's just plenty there that has never been seen in a side scrolling Mario before and would probably never be seen outside of this game.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Zython wrote: »
    Man, Mario Maker is so weird. They're missing a lot of obvious stuff (slopes, ice, various power-ups)

*snip*

But yeah, you're still right.

I dunno, I think it's fine without that stuff. It's good to give people what they need to make a level interesting without being overwhelmed or needing to test the game ad infinitum to account for every weird physics combination that can happen.

Some of it could be tied to the desire to make every stage possible to complete. Some glitch that happens when you position a Mario World dolphin just right to push Mario inside a slope so you can travel through a solid wall, so a player with knowledge of the glitch can upload and practically no one else could ever complete the level, that sort of thing. The more effects, the more weird possibilities like that.

But there's just plenty there that has never been seen in a side scrolling Mario before and would probably never be seen outside of this game.

Ah, I though I read ice wasn't in it for some reason. And yes, you have a point about testing. The environment is definitely the hardest part to test, considering enemy AI is usually fairly simple. An example of the kind of shit that can happen even in an professional 2-D mario (skip to ~10:40):

https://youtu.be/TFJyt5o8FrM?t=641

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I like to think the loss of some things and the addition of others is what makes Mario Maker a different game. It gives it that newness even though its going back to older games.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Yeah. It being a level maker gives me some pause because I'm not into that, but every time I hear about some new creative thing the game does, I can't help but be impressed.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I like to think of it less of a level maker, and more of a way to play cool, new inventive Mario levels.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I'm still back and forth on getting it, but I wouldn't rule it out.

• Options
    I just want them to add all the koopalings.

So I can have a level that's nothing but koopas galore

• Options
    I was all set to either dig out or just rebuy all the 2D Mario games on VC, in a big Mario binge to lead up to Mario Maker. Then I remembered Wii and SNES VC are a thing, yet Super Mario All Stars is not.

You'd think releasing it would be a big way to celebrate the release of SMM, not to mention serve as prime fodder for level imagination.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    There's always the W-*shot*

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm still betting money that they will have a 'Wooly' theme DLC when Wooly World comes out.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options

Well thank you for putting that fucking idea in my head and making me want it now.

:D

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I was all set to either dig out or just rebuy all the 2D Mario games on VC, in a big Mario binge to lead up to Mario Maker. Then I remembered Wii and SNES VC are a thing, yet Super Mario All Stars is not.

You'd think releasing it would be a big way to celebrate the release of SMM, not to mention serve as prime fodder for level imagination.

I mean, look at it from a business perspective: would you rather sell 4 games for $5 a pop ($20), or all of them for $7? Nintendo is making the obvious play, here. Doesn't hurt that the All-Stars versions, although they look nice, don't play as well as the originals.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'm still betting money that they will have a 'Wooly' theme DLC when Wooly World comes out.

What IS the reason for the delay on Wooly World? It's been out a fair bit here and I'm loving it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Just the usual. Some markets get some games earlier and other games later.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

What IS the reason for the delay on Wooly World? It's been out a fair bit here and I'm loving it.

Padding out the fall releases in Nintendo's top market? That's really the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I thought I heard something about ensuring they had enough Yarn Yoshi amiibo when they went to market.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Just for those who care. On release day here in europe Yarn Yoshi amiibos were instantly sold out and they also haven't been seen since. If you want one, you better be fast.

PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9Ti99h32A

This stage is actually pretty cool. I love some of the ideas in here.

Edit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIGRg1DLwi8

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    pow blocks dropping into lava for a split-second platform? see me after class
    so I can give you the full pack of gold stars without the other kids getting jealous

• Options
    edited August 2015
    GameXplain doing a livestream of Super Mario Maker here in 2 hours and 20 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBh0owMS5T4

EDIT: Whoops, I guess this is the link?

https://gaming.youtube.com/gamexplain/live

UncleSporky on