Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chaos] CitOW Game 58 --- Creepy Death Takes it for Nurgle! Savant Wins!

DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done WorseRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
pic955226_md.jpg

Welcome to Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games' boardgame take at Games Workshop's famous fantasy IP. In this game, players take the role of one of the four Ruinous Powers of the universe (and a fifth, uninvited guest). Speaking of which, I believe this calls for some introductions.

TomeWyrm as Khorne
Khorne loves long walks on the battlefield and nights alone with the recently deceased. He enjoys handywork, and has even so constructed a throne for himself from nothing but the skulls of the living. He's always on the lookout for new blood - in the most literal sense possible - earning him the title of "The Blood God." If Khorne were a flavor of ice cream, he would be Berserk Banana.

Savant as Nurgle
The other white meat! Or in this case, possibly white pus. Nurgle, now with 300% more pestilence! This is Great Unclean One with the new Nurgle Treatment, and you won't believe it! Have you ever been traveling around, and all of a sudden you wish you had brought your horrific ailments with you? But how are you going to fit it all in your bags? Well that's easy with the new Nurgle (or as we should say, the Old Nurgle)! Watch as it spreads the epidemic over the entire countryside as you pass. And if you order now, we'll throw in this free plaguebearer. Call now!

Nought as Tzeentch
Spoiler:

Magic Geek as Slaanesh
"Working for Khorne? It's ok, I guess, but I worry about my future prospects. You know how I'm probably going to die? Not enough blood left in my neck. You know how those Slaanesh dudes over there are probably going to die? Too many orgasms.
You can see my consternation." - Khorne Thrall

As the Prince of Pain and Pleasure, some might say that Slaanesh 'goes both ways.' His followers don't quite have a 'lust for battle,' but enjoy the 'corruption' of the aristocracy. He finds subtle usurping 'invigorating,' and sometimes even so much that he just has to release his 'keeper of secrets.'

pesky as the Horned Rat
The Horned Rat does not exist, nor is there such thing as the ratmen that worship it. Scholars have concluded that claims of an empire of vicious verminfolk are nothing more than stories invented to frighten the very young. Any reports of having sighted these "skaven" is seen as spreading discord amongst the faithful and, naturally, quite blasphemous. The skittering and scratching you hear deep below you at night is naught but the fevered workings of your imagination. If you insist that you have seen these creatures, please see your nearest witch hunter to be summarily executed for your blatant heresy.

----

This will be a Play-By-Post game of Chaos in the Old World for 5 players. Invitations will be taken from the discussion thread and offered to the top 2 players on the main list, 2 newbies, and a host. Once chosen, the players will decide which decks to use in this game.

[RULES]
[FAQ]
[EXPANSION RULES]
[Headless Hollow Rules Summary]

Credits of Chaos
Adam Bloom for his rocking Handtracker site.
FWD for the awesome board app.
Mr.Blarney for the original design of our PbP board.
Rend for the comprehensive OP.
Darian for bringing order to chaos as games manager and our resident rules lawyer.

Previous games, aka recommended reading before playing, are linked from the CF Boardgame Index

General discussion thread for Chaos in the Old World is available here

DevoutlyApathetic on

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    From Rend: A QUICK TUTORIAL ON CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD
    Spoiler:

Useful information:
    Spoiler:

Darian's personal Unofficial FAQ for the Horned Rat (Now with some official rulings):
    Spoiler:

• peskypesky Registered User regular
    Wohooo! New Old World to corrupt! Preference for Morrslieb. Expert only Old World Deck. Power preference as follows:

HR>S>N>K>T

Thanks for setting this up!

• SavantSavant Registered User regular
    I'm unsure as to powers as I've never played before, recommend me something newbie friendly.

I'd rather not have the expert only deck for that reason.

Savant wrote:
    I'm unsure as to powers as I've never played before, recommend me something newbie friendly.

I'd rather not have the expert only deck for that reason.

The big thing is the powers feel different in play. Khorne is a smashy guy using his excellent warriors, Tzeentch relies on trickery and his chaos cards. So on and such. For a first game you could do worse than try and play a power you thing it would be fun thematically. At least then you're thinking in the right way.

• TomeWyrmTomeWyrm Registered User regular
    Weee! Sign me up please! Morrslieb set with a Mixed Old World Deck is my vote. Power preference is:

K>T>HR>N>S

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I'm here :)

I'd prefer Tzeentch since I wasn't allowed to cast spells my last game :( but if anyone else want it too, I'll just take random.

Morrslieb set with Mixed deck. And by mixed deck I mean no goose damned Morrslieb Eclipse.

Island. Being on fire.
    edited November 2011
    Hmm....just waiting on @Cerberus but unfortunately they haven't logged in since the 10th. New Forums doesn't allow us to send message by other than PM either. Bah. I'll probably wait another day or so before grabbing the next person.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    Cerberus also said his preference was for base game (that's the -B next to his name on the list), which I doubt this one will be, so you may as well move on.

Playing: "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
    President Romo Lampkin in BSG: Daybreak Game 1
    @somebody

#needsomebody

Am I doing it right? Don't really use tweeter.

Island. Being on fire.
    I thought I had added Magic Geek to the conversation/pm but it would appear I didn't.

Just resent a PM now.

• Magic GeekMagic Geek Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hi. . . . . :)

Happy to play. ... Any side.
    (well, preferably not HR, I just don't get him, yet)

Expansion or base.
    ....If you guys play expansion can we agree not to use the Khorne warrior upgrade?
    If you guys do want to play the expansion I am happy to PLAY khorne.....without the Warrior upgrade.

But.... mostly I am just happy to play. :)

Magic Geek on
    Magic Geek wrote:
    Hi. . . . . :)

Happy to play. ... Any side.
    (well, preferably not HR, I just don't get him, yet)

Expansion or base.
    ....If you guys play expansion can we agree not to use the Khorne warrior upgrade?
    If you guys do want to play the expansion I am happy to PLAY khorne.....without the Warrior upgrade.

But.... mostly I am just happy to play. :)

Hmmmm being happy doesn't sit well with Khorne. You need to be ANGRY!!

Uh....well the question of banning that upgrade isn't really up to me to decide. We'll have to hear from everyone for that one.

So it looks like we're mixed deck and expansion.

A set up of:
    Tomewyrm: Khorne
    Nought: Tzeentch
    Savant: Nurgle
    Pesky: Horned Rat
    Magic Geek: Slaanesh

Would have everybody have their first choice for those who expressed a preference.

Thoughts?

edited November 2011
    Ummmm I say leave the upgrade in. And I get to go last . Whoopee.

Good choice for Magic Geek....since he's happy we let him throw parties. :)

pesky on
    edited November 2011
    Well Tomewyrm, look like it is up to you.

But please understand, I will think you have an exceedingly small penis IF you take the Khorne Warrior upgrade. And I promise to taunt you about it, regularly, if you take it.

....And you will NOT be invited to the post match party.

Magic Geek on
    Oh goodie, nurgle. Does he really suck as much as I've read trying to figure this out?

Slaan sucks Too! (but only if asked nicely)

I feel like if I declare I'm not going to use the warrior upgrade it hurts my strategy whether or not I actually end up playing it over the course of the game, since all other players will know I don't have that trick up my sleeve. Besides, as far as I know the official ruling from Fantasy Flight states that the upgrade functions as it reads, and is as intended, so I vote to keep it in the game. With that being said...

BLOOD FOR...UH...ME I GUESS!

Hmm, are we waiting for me to say I'm ready?

BTW
    Magic Geek wrote:
    Slaan sucks Too! (but only if asked nicely)

Slaan =

slaan.jpg

Island. Being on fire.
    I was giving people time to comment/object/whatever to the power assignment and consider Magic Geek's request. Also, I was purging Xeno's last night and not at home.

I'll get everything shuffled up and board done up tonight after I've gotten some work done.

Round 1, Initial Board:
    game58state1.png

Round 1, Old World Phase:
    Witch Hunters - Place one Hero token in each of Bretonnia, Estalia and The Empire. - In the end phase when Old World cards are resolved, in each region containing a Hero token, the player with the greatest Threat score loses one corruption token there, if he has any present.[/size]
    game58state02.png

Round 1, Draw Phase:

Technically you all drew up to three before this happened but I didn't pause or notify you to let that happen. All may draw the remaining 2 cards. Nought may opt to discard one card before drawing up to five as that sneaky blue guy tends to do.

After Nought has declared his decision Tomewyrm is up to begin the Summoning Phase.

edited November 2011
    I discard Transmogrify.

Sorry, looks a mess. I really miss all the code shortcuts.

Edit:
    That seems to have worked. Thanks.

Nought on
    Island. Being on fire.
    edited November 2011
    [url= ] Some name [/url ] Still works, without the spaces obviously. Fill in the link after the =.

Also colors behave very oddly when near the size tag it appears. That is why that first board post has [color= in it like five times. Enough repetition solves everything!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Let's start off things semi-as expected...Cultist to Bretonnia!

I only sort of know what I'm doing, so let's say...

Cultist in Kislev
    5/6 PP

Because why not.

I cast (M) Warpstorm to Kislev.

Island. Being on fire.
    cultist to Tilea

5/6

Empty the Warrens into Norsca placing skaven token from stockpile.

6/6 PP

For the hor......I mean.....WE ARE THE HORDE!!!

edited November 2011
    Round 1 Summoning Phase

game58state03.png

TomeWyrm is active.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Cultist to The Empire.

5/6 PP

Warrior to the empire

4/6 PP

I cast (M) Warp Shock to Troll Country.

Island. Being on fire.
    Heh, I'm on a train and I just got internet connection right when my turn came up.

My warrior's coming your way guys down south.

cultist to Tilea

4/6

One...ONE clan rat in Norsca HA HA HA!

5/6 PP

Bloodletter to Tilea.

3/6 PP

Cultist to Bretonnia

3/6 PP

Round 1 Summoning Phase

game58state04.png

Old World Resists:
    Witchhunters: Heroes remove a corruption from the Highest Threat.

Effects:
    Troll Country is Warp Shock-ed: Each Warpstone token and magic symbol in this region counts toward T's domination value.
    Kislev is having a Warp Storm: A Warpstone will fall down if T kills someone there.

Nought is active.

This is such an unpleasent board state for Slaan. D: