As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A question for any DJs on the forum.

StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Crossposting this from a post I made on reddit's /r/DJs
Hiya folks, I've been fiddling around with Virtual DJ Home 7 for about 6 months now and was thinking of investing in a controller so that I can spin at parties and so I can use both hands (currently I just make all my transitions and level changes with my mouse D:)
Can anyone recommend a good one that's reasonably affordable for a brokeass? I tried googling "Virtual DJ 7 Controller" and everything looks the same to me. I don't really have a need for decks since all my music is usually in MP3, Mp4 or FLAC.
I'm not sure if I've given enough criteria for a good recommendation but any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
Staleghoti on

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    I don't know what kind of price you are looking for, but I have the Denon DN-MC6000, and I like it quite a bit. It works great with VDJ.

I would imagine that is out of your price range, but I haven't really played around with the less expensive ones.

• Options
    Yeah I'm trying to find a cheapy.

Just got shit on hard by a "real DJ"

apparently using software is totally lame and nobody will respect me and I won't get to be uber pro like him...

oh well... yeah I think that Denon is like 800 bones no?

I've been recommended the Numark Mixtrack Pro, seems really nifty from what I've been seeing on youtube about it

Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Whatever dude. Do what makes the best music. Plenty of laptop warriors out there. I think Girl Talk is purely laptop only?

• Options
    Girl Talk is a special case, he posts things like "I AM NOT A DJ" all over his gigs.

Like Deadmau5 he's mixing the things he produced using the tools that do that sort of thing.

I'd like to find how Diplo spins and mixes tho...

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    *note: not a DJ but several friends are

There is no "real DJ" setup. You use what you use as long as it sounds good. There are still old school people that do vinyl only, ones that use CDJ's, laptops with controllers and ones without. There typically are some standards that will have compatible controllers in the club or you'll be bringing all your own gear. I've seen Dieselboy show up with Vinyl, CD's and a laptop at separate gigs.

Personally, the big software ones that I know are Traktor (Digweed, Richie Hawtin), Serato Scratch (A-Trak, Diplo (http://serato.com/artists/diplo) ) and Abelton (Sasha,Deadmau5). Different DJ's use different things. A bunch probably even use 2 or more of them with multiple controllers or depending on the gig will bring different things.

Because there is so many options for devices, I'd stick to the software's website and "official" things or reach out to the community of the software to ask the same question.

• Options
    I think I need to learn how to use Ableton Live for live mixing, I had a friend show me how to mix everything in advance, but that is not what I'm going for.

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Yeah don't let anyone give you crap about how to mix, or what to use. If you can get people dancing, it doesn't really matter how you do it, but I will say mixing in advance isn't mixing =P.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    RedDawn wrote:
    Yeah don't let anyone give you crap about how to mix, or what to use. If you can get people dancing, it doesn't really matter how you do it, but I will say mixing in advance isn't mixing =P.

Oh so this. These tools are so powerful with what you can do live but you COULD, do it all before and "pretend" to do it at the show. Every once in a while, there is a big name that you see that has done this. Their either a) wasted, b) tired/overworked or c) just lazy