As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTN USA: This seems way too good to be true

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I forgot about the sale.

It's probably better I studied during my off hour this morning anyway.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • ZimarooskiZimarooski Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I walked out in the middle of my class for this sale for nothing. There were a couple of other guys looking for some good stuff when they opened, and after twenty minutes there was a torrent of people.

I feel like today wasn't a very good day. :[

Zimarooski on
    Favicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gif
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I didn't find any games either, and one of the employees told me that this was related to a "Reward Zone Members Only" event they had last night after the store closed. I got an email about it, but nowhere within did it say anything about this sale. Maybe that's why most of the games were gone already, though.

As an aside, I was shocked as hell to see five Onyx DS Lites there. I wouldn't get one to sell it because I fucking hate hoarders (they're the reason I couldn't get mine until two weeks after Christmas and settled for white instead of black), but I was still almost compelled to buy one for god only knows what reason. That's when you know you make a good product, Nintendo.

Taximes on
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My bestbuy had none of the games on the list.

Lep on
  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mother fuck! I just got back from my house and there is not a Best Buy around my college for hours!

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Don't worry, they don't actually have any of these games in stock.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • AltivecAltivec Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Trip report : 3 Best Buys all within 30-45 minutes of each other.

BB #1 - Tak for DS $1.99. Only me and one other guy knew about the sale, nobody else at the doors waiting to get in. he snagged a Super Monkey Ball for Cube hidden behind some dusty Gamecubes. The BB employee I talked to said this was for product they forgot to return in January, or returns after they had sent them back already. He read the list on the internet and was po'd he would have to explain why none of the games from it were NOT in stock.

BB #2 - Only game off the list was Eye Toy : Operation Spy. No thanks.

BB #3 - Nothing at all.

If the games are there, they'll be tagged at $1.99 / 4.99 / 9.99 on the rack.

Well, it was worth a try. I did manage to pick up Ultimate Spider-Man PS2 (one on my list) Collector's Edition for $10 from EB and a used Gunpey DS for $5. Not a total loss with my day off, but I could've slept in :(

Altivec on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yep same here 2 BBs and nothing at all.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • rathstarrathstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Turns out I went to the wrong best buy first. Best Buy #1 had nothing. I saw one guy pick up GTA3 for $1.99, but I wasn't interested in that anyway.

Best Buy #2 had more than nothing, but not by much. They probably had more back when they opened, cause people were still there trying to scam games. I got Dawn of Sorrow for $9.99 (not tagged) and Capcom classics 1 (xbox) and 2 (ps2) for $4.99 each (tagged.) My original wishlist was about 25 games.

I was able to salvage the trip by going to the nearby Barnes & Noble. For anyone that needs poker chips, there are plenty packages on clearance at every Barnes & Noble for $1 each.

rathstar on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm a bit late to the game but are any of these items listed on the BB website at all?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rogers101Rogers101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I ran by the closest BB during lunch, they were almost totally picked over. Friendly employee said about 10 people were waiting before the store opened and grabbed the good stuff. I was mostly going for GC games, he said they didn't have any of the clearance ones to begin with...

I did get Trace Memory for $1.99, so the trip wasn't a total loss.

Rogers101 on
    413935705_6ceaa1aed3_o.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Picked up Ultimate Spider-Man (PS2), Second Sight (XB), Dreamfall (XB), DBZ SuperSonic 2 (DS), and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (PS2).

Renzo on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Mine was cleaned out by the employees :(

Oh well, I made a trip out of it by getting something to eat.

FyreWulff on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is this going on today?

projectmayhem on
  • Rogers101Rogers101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is this going on today?

It is, but it looks like most places don't have much.

Rogers101 on
    413935705_6ceaa1aed3_o.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Apparently the list was leaked early and people bought them out last night only to do price matches today.

I was pissed even though I'm glad now that I didn't go because of what happened to me. Last night I printed out 9 pages of prices, laid out some clothes, and set my alarm. I got up early and got ready to go only to realize that my mom took the damn car.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got Luigi's Mansion, Jak III, and Ratchet and Clank 2.

Not a bad haul for $6.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Went to Pavillion in Scottsdale and grabed a few...

Rise to Honor
    Nightshade
    Scooby Doo Unmasked
    Sly 2

Spy Hunter
    Sega Classics Collection

I droped DBZ: Budokai 3 and Capcom Fighting Evo...meh

Overall not bad, I didn't really get anything I wanted.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what really pisses me off?

The name of this gaddamn thread.

I've been on the forums all weekend and I had no idea this thread existed or was really important until about 30 minutes ago. You suck, OP.

Squashua on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm glad no one is getting what they wanted, makes me feel better about dumping my BB gift certs on a classic controller.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I bought Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, MGS3: Subsistence, Soul Caliber 2, X-Men Legends, and The Warriors. Someone I knew was there buying games in order to make a profit.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I stopped by Best Buy during my lunch break and picked up Front Mission 4 for 2 dollars. I suppose I got lucky, it was the last copy and just about everything else was gone.

Shibbi Bibbi on
    edited February 2007
    Nothing left at the Boca Raton Florida Best Buy

Squashua on
  • SolSol Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey guys quick question...these aren't the Greatest Hits titles right? like Jak 3 GH isn't selling that cheap and so on right?

Sol on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I know that the GTA San Andreas GH version didnt count.

other than that I didnt see any of them to check.

ManetherenWolf on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Is this a hoax or not?

I don't live near any Best Buys, but a close friend does, and he went by both to grab some goodies. Both locations had games regularly priced, and both locations told him that the sale was online only.

A quick look at the site still has games for 30 dollars plus.

WTH?

Sheep on
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    Is this a hoax or not?

I don't live near any Best Buys, but a close friend does, and he went by both to grab some goodies. Both locations had games regularly priced, and both locations told him that the sale was online only.

A quick look at the site still has games for 30 dollars plus.

WTH?

Not a hoax, just a VERY POORLY executed clearance sale on games that, for the most part, aren't even in the stores.

Basically a bunch of lies and deception.

DuskTwilight on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My Best Buy is nothing but horse shit. Here in CT they had all of the games I wanted in stock but none of the mother fuckers had the price drop. I am very not happy.

The main one I wanted was Oblivion for 9.99 and it still rang up at 60, and even GTA: San Andreas rang up at 19.99.

WTF forums?

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My Best Buy is nothing but horse shit. Here in CT they had all of the games I wanted in stock but none of the mother fuckers had the price drop. I am very not happy.

The main one I wanted was Oblivion for 9.99 and it still rang up at 60, and even GTA: San Andreas rang up at 19.99.

WTF forums?
    Oblivion SE.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rogers101 wrote: »
    I ran by the closest BB during lunch, they were almost totally picked over. Friendly employee said about 10 people were waiting before the store opened and grabbed the good stuff. I was mostly going for GC games, he said they didn't have any of the clearance ones to begin with...

Dagnabit! I want Trace Memory! My local GameCrazy still sells it for $30!

rayofash on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, that saves me a trip to Boca. I can confirm the new Best Buy in Coral Springs doesn't have anything old. It's all new stuff, far as I can tell.

I did get Lumines Plus though, which made my trip worth it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I found Crash Tag Racing on the Cube for $1.99, that was about it for the systems I buy for (Cube, Wii, DS). The better part of the day came later when I went to Circuit City and found Donkey Konga 2 for $11. That totally made my trip out worth it!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I did pretty good, I bought NCAA March Madness 2004, NBA 2vK, Fight Night Round 2, Fifa Street 2 (it was 2 bucks) and Capcom Classic Collection for my Xbox. The only other game I wanted was Madden '07 for PSP but they said it was still 30 bucks, not 10. Argh.

A crowd of about ten people were there at opening (I got there a half hour before) and someone snapped up the last Popcropolis right in front of me for PSP. Other then that, I'm pretty happy. I wanted some basketball games and I got some really good ones.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Rogers101 wrote: »

Dagnabit! I want Trace Memory! My local GameCrazy still sells it for $30!
    Toys R Us still has it for $9.99 if you can find it. Not quite $1.99, but it's the next closest option. 8-)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Went. They said that alot of people have came in asking about it and it is true but they haven't had these games in a long time.

variant on
    edited February 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, that saves me a trip to Boca. I can confirm the new Best Buy in Coral Springs doesn't have anything old. It's all new stuff, far as I can tell.

Yeah, that place is a f*cking waste of space. I work close to it and didn't even bother with it. Too new to have anything good.

I preferred the TRU that used to be there; good deals.

Squashua on
  • Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got a bad feeling about this one and backed out. I didn't really want any of the games that I didn't already own anyhow, so no big loss. I figure, even if they had a few of the games I would have bought, that's $15 I could put towards a new 360/Wii game, a second 360/Wii controller (both of which I need) or the impending Guitar Hero 2 360.

This sale comes nowhere close to the greatness of TRU's buy 2 get 1 free fall sale.

Gaming-Module on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

Glad to hear my decision not to go there was a good one! I thought about going during my dinner break tonight (1-2 minute drive away), but decided that even if there had been anything of worth there when they opened, it'd be gone by 4 PM.

SteevL on
    edited February 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    Squashua wrote: »

Glad to hear my decision not to go there was a good one! I thought about going during my dinner break tonight (1-2 minute drive away), but decided that even if there had been anything of worth there when they opened, it'd be gone by 4 PM.

It's good to know that I helped out not one but two people (the other Boca poster).

Now I'm actually really glad I posted that.

Squashua on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I went this afternoon, besides the 10-20$ games, they did not mark anything else, and I was not about to collect 10 games for 2$ each and take them to the register and complain that the internet told me they were 2$ :\

Mostly was picked out as normal anyways, seems like my area although greatly podunk buttfuck nowhere, has a huge amount of ebay farmers or obscure gamers noone knows.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png