As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OWS - Finger-Wiggling Their Way To a Better Tomorrow

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    2/3. The idea behind compensating management is that they are in the position to personally affect profits, so giving direct incentives like equity or performance bonuses to them is supposed to incent them to work harder, since their work is thought to be able to directly increase profits. This is why I said I would be interested in seeing data on how companies which give significant bonuses to rank and file employees perform. Management is also more mobile than ordinary employees, since they are in shorter supply and good executives are always in demand, so the bonuses (especially equity) are awarded to retain talent.

I'm actually curious about this - what is it that makes managers and executives in "short supply" compared to other fields? Obviously it would be harder to get experience as an executive for a big company, but it seems like there are plenty of business graduates with the training to be managers and executives. So why are those people considered to be in such 'short supply' that they deserve huge pay relative to other employees?

The usual argument seems to be that "the market values their skills", but that seems like a circular argument because executives so often approve their own bonuses. Obviously if you give someone the power to set their own pay they're going to value themselves extremely highly. So is there something specific about the executive skillset that your average person doesn't have, or can't learn?

Want to read something interesting about business graduates? It takes effort to be that lazy, you know.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2011/04/business_education

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    2/3. The idea behind compensating management is that they are in the position to personally affect profits, so giving direct incentives like equity or performance bonuses to them is supposed to incent them to work harder, since their work is thought to be able to directly increase profits. This is why I said I would be interested in seeing data on how companies which give significant bonuses to rank and file employees perform. Management is also more mobile than ordinary employees, since they are in shorter supply and good executives are always in demand, so the bonuses (especially equity) are awarded to retain talent.

I'm actually curious about this - what is it that makes managers and executives in "short supply" compared to other fields? Obviously it would be harder to get experience as an executive for a big company, but it seems like there are plenty of business graduates with the training to be managers and executives. So why are those people considered to be in such 'short supply' that they deserve huge pay relative to other employees?

The reality of the situation is that if you are not going into a technical field, you're probably fairly easy to replace as a manager/executive if you're not very successful at your job. The unfortunate reality is that any business that has substantial largesse is almost too complicated to pinpoint a problem and then hold someone accountable. You rushed to get a product to market and it tanked due to some substantial flaws? That's because the finance guy was pushing you because of R&D costs. The finance guy was pushing it? That's because the marketing guy built his strategy around an old timetable that wasn't updated consistently by the Development guy. The Development guy didn't update the timetable because the IT guy has had issues with funding to lock down the networking because the accounting guy said it wasn't in the budget. The accounting guy said it wasn't in budget because a project they had counted on was rushed to market and tanked because of its substantial flaws. You follow the circle far enough, eventually you get to a guy who messed up, but also was a big idea guy for the company and it's hard to hold that guy accountable because if someone had fixed something along that path, it all might have turned out OK, and he'll be able to point to any part along the chain and go, why didn't those guys fix that issue when it came up. People rarely talk shit about their own department after all when annual reviews come up as you don't want to be liquidated.

The arbiter is supposedly shareholders, but I recall in 2009 some shareholder groups were prepared to get some executive compensation reform and a bunch of banks and financial groups went to the SEC to block shareholders votes on resolutions regarding it. A couple succeeded if I recall correctly, and that speaks pretty negatively to the SEC, but that's no big surprised if you're in the financial or accounting industry that the SEC is...not great.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I fail to see how paying higher taxes of capital gains, or paying the grunts (ie, the workforce that your company depends upon to make shit happen) more money would pull the elite that much closer to the middle. Those bankers in that article make about 12x what I do, and guess what? I live in NYC too. Tough shit.

I don't see how you can argue that managerial positions are the only one who directly affect profits. They're diplomats, they delegate work, secure new customers, sure. All of the nitty gritty of making sure transactions go smoothly is not handled by them. Why, if the bosses planned succeeded, should they not be rewarded as well?

Vanguard on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You don't think the rich work long hours?

Not as long or hard as their workers.
    Someone needs to win, and as a society, we can choose the rules, but I don't think we are really capable of creating a world where everyone is a winner, without choosing to artificially cap how far you can go. We can (and maybe should) make sure that the game is more competitive, so that the winners don't lap everyone else 10 times, but arguing against inequality as a concept seems like a way of saying everyone just has to settle for mediocre.

The ones who make the rules have the power. Unfortunately the people with that power are the wealthy, not the poor or middle class.

Inequality, at the current extent any way, is a bad concept. Especially when the people with power are hogging all the wealth and power. Corporations would be better off rewarding employees with bonuses whenever they reach x profits and spread it around equally, not let the corporate fuedal lord wannabe's keep all the profits primarily because their rank. The bosses didn't get their profits on their own. Without their employees doing the hard work their profit margins would shrink considerably.

I detest the public being called "mediocre". Having more money or power isn't a requisite for being a superior human being.

I know its just an annecdote, but I know tons of people in PE, and they work all the time. They make me look lazy. They make an absolute ton of money, but they seriously work around the clock.

I'm not talking about lawyers, I was talking about your bosses. You may be high on the totem pole in your company but you're not management or it's owners.
    Whether corporations should pay big bonuses to executives is a seperate issue from whether they should pay bonuses to rank and files.

Why is that? It's all bonuses so it's the same subject.
    I would be interested in seeing any studies done on the impact of bonuses paid to employees who cannot directly impact the success of the business, both in terms of productivity and the bottom line.

The fact that it's morally a good thing isn't enough? There's nothing good about the bosses keeping the majority of the profits for themselves while their workers do the majority of the work.
    I hope you realize that I was not calling the public "mediocre." I was saying that if you strictly oppose inequality (which is not a position that anyone here seems to be taking) then you end up having to restrict the positive outliers.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

1. PE is private equity. Literally professional owners. I have never known harder workers in my life than the people that work at PE firms.

Fair enough. That said, not all owners are like that IIRC.
    2/3. The idea behind compensating management is that they are in the position to personally affect profits, so giving direct incentives like equity or performance bonuses to them is supposed to incent them to work harder, since their work is thought to be able to directly increase profits. This is why I said I would be interested in seeing data on how companies which give significant bonuses to rank and file employees perform.

[A] They can't effect shit without their workers doing the dirty work. There's no reason for their extra pay and perks then a higher rank and greater control over the company's payroll. Shit, the whole pay scheme for the elite is fucked up. They can get paid more than once simultaneously in a year from what I saw about the new owner of Yahoo. That's pure greed & unrestrained power.
    Management is also more mobile than ordinary employees, since they are in shorter supply and good executives are always in demand, so the bonuses (especially equity) are awarded to retain talent.

Having more mobility isn't a good reason to have extra pay. Freelancers can do that. There are employees whose jobs are all about mobility like plumbers or cable repairmen, as well. They're still low level employees.

Whether being headhunted from rivals, new graduates from colleges or promoted workers there will always be more managers. While not every employee can learn their skills, all it takes is searching for the right employees and they'll be replaced.

4. I am saying that the goal in lowering inequality should be improving the lot of the worst off, not hurting the rich just to bring them closer to the middle.

[C] Spreading the wealth isn't hurting the rich. That's rewarding the working class properly for their services. There's no equality when the wealthy horde the majority of a company's wealth. Unless they're a very small company where they have do a majority of the work.

A. Do you know many CEOs and other high ranking (above VP level) executives, professionally? I only ask because I know a lot of them, and I also know how the owners regard them. In my experience, a lot of weight is put on executive performance because they are responsible for growing the company into new markets and expanding their presence in existing markets. Rank and file employees are really important to a company's success, but they don't really do more than work to meet the demand that exists for the product or services (note that the demand may be an internal company demand for more marketing or other similiar growth oriented services). Executives are the people making and executing the plans to expand the company. While workers doing a great job may have a small impact on the bottom line, the level of services provided by workers is just accepted as a given. It is the executives who can really change things for the company by planning and taking dramatic actions like opening new plants, seeking out major new clients, etc.

B. You need to pay someone with more mobility more money if you want to keep them. That is why so much executive pay is structured as a long term incentive (i.e., you need to stay 5 years to get all of it).

There may not be a shortage of people who CAN do the job, but there is a shortage of people with experience doing the job, and noone wants to take the risk on the kid just out of business school (or even the guy who rose up in one company but has never worked at another) to run the company they just spent $1 billion to acquire. . .

C. It depends on how you do it. Like I said, I am happy to tax the rich to pay for a social safety net, healthcare and education for people. But beyond that? If everyone has a shot at succeeding, then I don't see why we should penalize success to redistribute income directly to workers who are not as successful. That said, I think that a world where a company paid more to rank and file employees would be better than the world we have now. I think the best way to do it would be to add nondiscrimination rules similiar to the rules that apply to 401(k) plans to nonqualified deferred comp plans and equity plans. We wouldn't need to say that everyone has to get paid the same amount under these plans, but I think it would be a good thing if you had to provide some level of benefits to all employees more akin to the benefits executives currently enjoy. I think the employee stock ownership plan approach is a great one. At companies with ESOPs, employees are given stock in the company to help pay for their retirement. It benefits the workers, it benefits the company (there are good tax effects) and it promotes a stakeholder culture. Unsurprisingly, they are really popular in community oriented places like new england.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

The usual argument seems to be that "the market values their skills", but that seems like a circular argument because executives so often approve their own bonuses. Obviously if you give someone the power to set their own pay they're going to value themselves extremely highly. So is there something specific about the executive skillset that your average person doesn't have, or can't learn?

They are in short supply because training and theoretical potential are not enough. Noone wants to hire somebody who does not have substantial experience to run their company. Even people who rise up through a company may not be acceptable, since they have not proven that they can run a company where the don't have long standing relationships with the employees and other members of management. Also, and this is unfortunate in my view, part of the reason to hire an executive is their connections, and this is a source of value that you can't really replicate unless you have been an executive long enough to have a valuable network of connections.

Executives almost never approve their own bonuses (and NEVER do so in public companies). Public companies are actually required to have a compensation committee which makes decisions on compensation.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I don't have time for a long post but it's probably worth noting that a lot of the negatives centered on corporations are mostly only true of publicly owned corporations.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Hey @spacekungfuman, I just wanted to say that while alot of what you say really doesn't sit well with me and the way I think society should function, I really do appreciate the clear and detailed responses you've added on this topic. It still makes me throw up in my mouth thinking about how effectively the elite of the elite can legally scam the system. But stuff like executive pay structure and corporate tax policy are so far above my head that we might as well be discussion theoretical physics at an event horizon. So it's really nice to have my preconceptions smacked with a dose of reality.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I honestly think discussing the theoretical physics of the event horizon of a black hole would be less complicated than sussing out executive pay structure and corporate tax policy. At least one of those things is somewhat grounded in reality, and I'm not so sure about the latter.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I honestly think discussing the theoretical physics of the event horizon of a black hole would be less complicated than sussing out executive pay structure and corporate tax policy. At least one of those things is somewhat grounded in reality, and I'm not so sure about the latter.

It's really not that hard. Two parties with varying levels of bargaining power work out a mutually agreeable and beneficial arrangement, which is heavily constrained by tax, accounting and other regulatory rules and considerations. All of these considerations are capable of being understood, as long as you put the time into learning them.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Describing what happens at the event horizon actually isn't that difficult on a conceptual level within Einstein's framework but the actual math to prove it is a real bitch. :P

• Options
    BersheliBersheli Registered User regular

People facing homelessness (unless you mean just losing their homes, which is still not even the average, whats the default rate? 5%?) is an incredibly tiny percentage of the whole, and no amount of anecdotal evidence changes that.

I learned from the news that around 24% of home sales are foreclosure related currently. I'm not sure if that means that there are still even more homes out there that are foreclosure related that simply have not sold. Your 5% default rate made me think of this, because in the same report they also said that 5% foreclosure related home sales are the mark of a healthy economy.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    @kipling217 - let's continue here
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Is that number accurate? It just seems hard to believe, given the cost of housing. Of course I know there are people going to the public schools in Manhattan (and a lot of people choose to leave so they can send their kids to better public schools in the suburbs) but that doesn't make sending your kids to private school unreasonable. It is a consumption choice, but it is one many people in Manhattan feel obligated to make, so it just becomes another part of cost of living. Someone who makes $2mm a year can really live in Manhattan, but for someone making $200k, it is a choice that carries real costs, not just "oh, I can't buy as many yachts as I want to."

This is off topic to the thread so I won't go into debate, but there are 1.5 million people living in Manhattan alone and they can't all be making over a million a year. The per capita income is $100k this means half the people make less then $100k(remove the finance industry and it would sink even lower) and are stuck with whatever public schools they can get.

NYC proper has over 8.7 million inhabitants with an average household income of around(ballpark) $55k. If New York is so expensive then its a wonder that anybody can afford to live there(and no they don't all live in war zones or crappy neighborhoods either).

Half making under $100k makes much more sense to me. And the cost of living is so much lower in the Burroughs that it isn't even really comparable.

But I honestly think that it is not fair to determine who is so rich they are not allowed to complain without factoring in cost of living. A first year lawyer fresh out of law school in Texas who works at a national law firm makes $165k (the same as in NYC) and with that money, he can buy a 5000 sq. ft. house. In NYC, he would have to rent a crappy apartment.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Really, SKFM? I don't think he'd be lacking for options on that salary in NYC. He's not going to own a townhouse, but I make less than one-fifth of that and I don't live in a crappy apartment by any means.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Really, SKFM? I don't think he'd be lacking for options on that salary in NYC. He's not going to own a townhouse, but I make less than one-fifth of that and I don't live in a crappy apartment by any means.

He's exaggerating, but he's not wrong. The income disparity within the same practice due to geography is, I want to believe, much less than the disparity between costs of living. For the same job in NYC vs. Dallas I was paid about 150% of my Dallas pay, but my rent per sq.ft.in NYC was $4.9/sqft whereas in Dallas I paid about $0.75/sq.ft.

That's a huge difference.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @kipling217 - let's continue here

Is that number accurate? It just seems hard to believe, given the cost of housing. Of course I know there are people going to the public schools in Manhattan (and a lot of people choose to leave so they can send their kids to better public schools in the suburbs) but that doesn't make sending your kids to private school unreasonable. It is a consumption choice, but it is one many people in Manhattan feel obligated to make, so it just becomes another part of cost of living. Someone who makes $2mm a year can really live in Manhattan, but for someone making $200k, it is a choice that carries real costs, not just "oh, I can't buy as many yachts as I want to."

This is off topic to the thread so I won't go into debate, but there are 1.5 million people living in Manhattan alone and they can't all be making over a million a year. The per capita income is $100k this means half the people make less then $100k(remove the finance industry and it would sink even lower) and are stuck with whatever public schools they can get.

NYC proper has over 8.7 million inhabitants with an average household income of around(ballpark) $55k. If New York is so expensive then its a wonder that anybody can afford to live there(and no they don't all live in war zones or crappy neighborhoods either).

Half making under $100k makes much more sense to me. And the cost of living is so much lower in the Burroughs that it isn't even really comparable.

But I honestly think that it is not fair to determine who is so rich they are not allowed to complain without factoring in cost of living. A first year lawyer fresh out of law school in Texas who works at a national law firm makes $165k (the same as in NYC) and with that money, he can buy a 5000 sq. ft. house. In NYC, he would have to rent a crappy apartment.

So, because he makes a choice that costs him a lot of money (work in NYC), that makes him less well off? The options aren't work in NYC or starve, he can get work as a lawyer elsewhere; in fact probably the only reason to work in NYC when you can make the same in a much cheaper area is
    1) you really love the city, ie you're willing to pay the luxury tax of living there
    2) you really want the prestige/possible advancement path of a NYC law firm, at which point I suppose you could consider it an investment
    In either case it's really a luxury choice to live there, so COL is kind of a red herring here

It's still a shitload more money than most people make, so yes he's still rich(ish). Not Richy McRichpants, but certainly not poor

edit: I'm also not sure why a fresh-out-of-school laywer who makes around 3+x the median income of the country and who decided to park himself in one of the most expensive zones of one of the most expensive cities on the planet is your benchmark anyway

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

Crappy was an exaggeration, but I can tell you with complete confidence that first year attorneys in Manhattan do not feel rich. But then they also usually have $150k+ in debt to pay off. . . The difference between the lifestyle of the Texas first year (who really is rich) and the NYC first year is pretty great, even though they make the exact same amount of money.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

No, everyone isn't making over 1,000,000 a year. A lot of families are stuck in horrible poverty. Most of the working poor is eligible for assistance because otherwise they wouldn't be able feed/clothe/shelter their kids on a "middle class" household income of $40,000.

• Options
    I'm not disputing that there is a difference, but if you're making six figures you're not poor. You might not be rich in NYC, but complaining about your lack of money is still pretty delusional.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    no you aren't poor on low six figures. You're in that huge comfortable zone between Completely Fucked and Straight Ballin'.

Basically you can meet your bills and keep the lights on without getting chestpains.

• Options
    I'm not saying poor at all. The article that started this said $200k is rich without qualification, and I think that is ridiculous. Like Dee said, there is a big space between poof and rich, and that is where people making this kind of money fit in NYC.

I thought this was funny:

Philly-One-Percent-Craigslist-Job.jpg

• Options
    Are there many veterans who also happen to be lawyers? I wouldn't think there was much crossover there... the rest of that is just funny

• Options
    Translation: Your boss will try and talk to you about politics and be insufferable.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Are there many veterans who also happen to be lawyers? I wouldn't think there was much crossover there... the rest of that is just funny

I don't think there is a lot of overlap. The funniest thing is this is a contract attorney position, so the person who gets the job won't even have any meaningful interaction with the full time attorneys. They will just spend their days looking at documents and noting if they reference the names or topics relevant to the case they are working on, and then a much younger, less experienced attorney will review their report and pass it on to a midlevel or senior associate.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

No, everyone isn't making over 1,000,000 a year. A lot of families are stuck in horrible poverty. Most of the working poor is eligible for assistance because otherwise they wouldn't be able feed/clothe/shelter their kids on a "middle class" household income of $40,000.

And a lot of people are not stuck in horrible poverty. Like I said there are 8.7 Million people in New York. Not everyone of them live in crappy neighborhoods or war zones. There are millions of people that live okay lives while living in New York without making the megabucks. Pretending its either Penthouse or flophouse is a lie.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm not saying poor at all. The article that started this said $200k is rich without qualification, and I think that is ridiculous. Like Dee said, there is a big space between poof and rich, and that is where people making this kind of money fit in NYC.

I thought this was funny:

Philly-One-Percent-Craigslist-Job.jpg

In other words: We want someone we can poop on who won't complain about the smell.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I think it should be made a misdemeanor to slanderize other free Western democracies without spending any time there whatsoever.

Also, Europe isn't a country.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Or at least should be.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Someone should apply, get the contact information, and report him to the BBB. I'm pretty sure you can't make an add listing any of that stuff as a requirement.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

And a lot of people are not stuck in horrible poverty. Like I said there are 8.7 Million people in New York. Not everyone of them live in crappy neighborhoods or war zones. There are millions of people that live okay lives while living in New York without making the megabucks. Pretending its either Penthouse or flophouse is a lie.

It's also not the argument anyone is making. $200,000 a year isn't "Penthouse" money. A household income of $100,000 a year gets you a pretty shitty apartment, minor luxuries, and the security to not have to worry too much about your student loans while still keeping the lights on.

$40,000 will do you alright as a single dude with roommates, anemic long term savings, and living pretty much paycheck to paycheck.

Sure there are 8.7 million people living in NYC, but without wikipediaing, I'm guessing about 20% are in poverty and around 30% receive some form of public assistance (EBT, Section 8 Housing, Medicaid....etc), not to mention those that still have rent control.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

$200K is rich without qualification. Even in the highest income counties in the US, you would be making over twice the average income.
    Here is a link:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-income_metropolitan_statistical_areas_in_the_United_States

Even in New York you would have almost four times the money the average household has.

If you look at this link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_US

A person making $200k would be close to the top 1.5% of the US income earners. If they are not rich, how fucked up does society have to be for the other 98%? Because no matter how you slice and dice it, hem and haw it, $200k is a lot of money and it goes a long way.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    People who believe $200K is rich without qualification seem to have a lot of trouble with empathy and the ability to imagine situations outside their own experience.

Cost of Living is a thing. Single Income Households are a thing.

Maybe the problem is that some people see "rich" purely as a question of what you make, and others see it as a question of how you can live.

Even in Austin's tolerable CoL, with a single income and three kids I would be well off and comfortable making $200K but by no means would I be able to casually throw money around without a care for where it went.

• Options
    Because no matter how you slice and dice it, hem and haw it, $200k is a lot of money and it goes a long way.

I think the only thing being argued is that $200k isn't as elastic as a lot of people would like to believe.

If I made $200k in Dallas, I'd honestly have a 5000sqft house in a top-flight neighborhood, probably on several acres.

In NYC, I'd have a nice 1500 sqft apartment and my kids would probably still have to go to public school.

• Options

Its ironic that in discussions about how the middle class is disappearing, people tend to leave the middle class out of the equation entirely. . .

Also, FWIW, I think a lot of the people who complain about "struggling" to get by but who make good livings are really talking about having difficulty meeting the standards their peers set for them. Its easy to view private school as a crazy luxury noone should feel a need to pay for when all your peers send their kids to public schools, but if all your peers send their kids to private schools, then you might feel (1) that this is the norm and (2) that its important for their future.

• Options
    Kip, no offense, but you really don't have a clue. The median income doesn't mean diddles, when a family with the median income is still eligible for public assistance.

Wikipedia knowledge is great for some things, but not this.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    spool32 wrote: »
    People who believe $200K is rich without qualification seem to have a lot of trouble with empathy and the ability to imagine situations outside their own experience.

Maybe the problem is that some people see "rich" purely as a question of what you make, and others see it as a question of how you can live.

Even in Austin's tolerable CoL, with a single income and three kids I would be well off and comfortable making $200K but by no means would I be able to casually throw money around without a care for where it went.

These two phrases show the difference between what we believe spool. I don't care if $200k isn't enough to throw money around, if you still are "well off" with a fancy house and a fancy car and live in a fancy neighborhood, then you are rich.

To quote David Wong your argument is like this:
    "When my family's Aruba vacation went over budget, that was exactly like you being unable to afford medication for your child's excruciating chronic illness!"

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If you choose to have a single income household in a super expensive area... well I'm sorry but I can't feel any worse for you than a millionaire who chooses to buy a dozen ferraris and then whine about how he has no money. Or said millionare with a McMansion and private schooling and a whole list of other luxuries. My parents made ~50-60k, with a single income, in Canada. We lived quite comfortably, though not in a high CoL area. We didn't live in downtown Toronto, because well we wouldn't really be able to afford it!

Live within your means. Any amount of money isn't enough, if you decide to spend it!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    you are rich

This is a weirdly subjective hill to make your stand upon.

You've literally just said, "I don't care about qualifying criteria, I think you meet the arbitrary definition!"

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

These two phrases show the difference between what we believe spool. I don't care if $200k isn't enough to throw money around, if you still are "well off" with a fancy house and a fancy car and live in a fancy neighborhood, then you are rich.

To quote David Wong your argument is like this:
    "When my family's Aruba vacation went over budget, that was exactly like you being unable to afford medication for your child's excruciating chronic illness!"

What Atomic Ross said. I mean seriously - what the fuck?

Well off! Not fancy car, fancy house, fancy neighborhood. I'm talking about the house I currently live in, 2100sq. ft. in a suburb. I'm talking about public school, the same cars I drive, the same house I have now, but with my shit paid off, my kids going to college on my nickel and not the State's (or the bank's). I'm talking about out of debt and contributing to my retirement and saving for some bad shit, covering my wife's medical bills and maybe taking a vacation once a year, maybe.

It's like I said - no empathy or ability to imagine circumstances with which they're unfamiliar.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    @Atomic Ross

Well, you're right, we're trying to define what is "rich" here. So my definition of rich is "well off and comfortable" while spools is "able to casually throw money around without a care for where it went."

Like Romney saying he's not rich since he's only a multi-millionaire while the Koch brothers are billionaires. "Oh dear, I don't have enough money this month to buy that tenth private jet, I guess I'm not rich!"

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    Yours is a bad definition that breaks the whole country into Rich and Poor. Useful for dehumanizing and demagoguery, but not much else.