Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

These Police will serve us a peppery stew...

24

Posts

  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote:
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Goose! wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    I understand police doing their jobs and getting rid of trespassers.

    I'm against excessive force. Fuck the guys who pull sadistic bullshit in the name of justice.

    I think if there weren't stories of police officers being injured (which there are) and an EMT being attacked (which there was), I would agree that this is excessive.

    But I think once things started going south, police are not going to take any chances.

    Ah, yes. Collective punishment.

    Almost as fun as collective condemning!

    The abuses and excesses that are carried out by the system of corruption and deception are more important than any single good example of a police officer you bring up. No one gives a shit about your good cop examples because the bad cops speak of a larger, systemic problem that lets abuse like this happen.

    Who said it has to be that way? You are in full control of how you perceive things, you're just choosing to call them all bad instead of recognizing the good they do too. It's just such a mind-blowingly ignorant way of thinking.

  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any big name media (ie: NYT, Washington Post) coverage of anti-OWS police brutality? I shouldn't be so optimistic but it'd be nice to see that they weren't completely ignoring abuse this widespread and violent

    Times like this make me glad traditional news is dying, honestly

  • Goose!Goose! Haven't played Fallout much tbh... I've played Borderlands. That count?Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Fuck the [corrupt and abusive members of the] police.

    As much as I'd like to play fair with that, it unfortunately encompasses the majority of officers at this point.

    I would really hope to see one team of police officers arresting another for their crimes.

    See, that second statement is just silly without anything supporting it.

    I thought political threads were done in SE anyway

  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote:
    I thought political threads were done in SE anyway

    I think the idea is to take breaks from having the same debates incessantly, but it's inevitable that there's going to be discussion of major current events like national protest movements and the upcoming election season and all that. The election threads can probably wait until there's an actual Republican candidate though.

    1LRdqui.png
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Fuck the [corrupt and abusive members of the] police.

    As much as I'd like to play fair with that, it unfortunately encompasses the majority of officers at this point.

    I would really hope to see one team of police officers arresting another for their crimes.

    See, that second statement is just silly without anything supporting it.

    I thought political threads were done in SE anyway

    I don't see anyone in the police departments, aside from a couple of individuals, standing up for what's right. Since those individuals were willing to, others must right? Unless the rest are all okay with this. Apathy and inaction do not help solve a problem. I don't believe in the "ignore it and it'll go away" thing, and people need to know that taking the negative consequences is part of what standing up for what's right is all about. Afraid to lose their jobs? Understandable, but maybe if things work out for the better they can get those jobs back. Or a better job.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Goose! wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    I understand police doing their jobs and getting rid of trespassers.

    I'm against excessive force. Fuck the guys who pull sadistic bullshit in the name of justice.

    I think if there weren't stories of police officers being injured (which there are) and an EMT being attacked (which there was), I would agree that this is excessive.

    But I think once things started going south, police are not going to take any chances.

    Ah, yes. Collective punishment.

    Almost as fun as collective condemning!

    The abuses and excesses that are carried out by the system of corruption and deception are more important than any single good example of a police officer you bring up. No one gives a shit about your good cop examples because the bad cops speak of a larger, systemic problem that lets abuse like this happen.

    Who said it has to be that way? You are in full control of how you perceive things, you're just choosing to call them all bad instead of recognizing the good they do too. It's just such a mind-blowingly ignorant way of thinking.

    I think you're missing my point. It's a shitty system!

    jkZziGc.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Goose! wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    I understand police doing their jobs and getting rid of trespassers.

    I'm against excessive force. Fuck the guys who pull sadistic bullshit in the name of justice.

    I think if there weren't stories of police officers being injured (which there are) and an EMT being attacked (which there was), I would agree that this is excessive.

    But I think once things started going south, police are not going to take any chances.

    Ah, yes. Collective punishment.

    Almost as fun as collective condemning!

    The abuses and excesses that are carried out by the system of corruption and deception are more important than any single good example of a police officer you bring up. No one gives a shit about your good cop examples because the bad cops speak of a larger, systemic problem that lets abuse like this happen.

    Who said it has to be that way? You are in full control of how you perceive things, you're just choosing to call them all bad instead of recognizing the good they do too. It's just such a mind-blowingly ignorant way of thinking.

    I tend to agree with him, though

    The number of shitty, abusive cops who commit needless excess in the line of duty without consequence is extremely troubling, regardless of the ratio to good cops

    Olivaw on
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • redheadredhead Registered User
    i can't follow this kind of stuff without wanting to throw up

    which mostly works out in my favor but i also tend to miss the stories of the good cops coming forward to condemn this kind of action by their colleagues

    so if someone can just link me to where that happened that would be great

  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Looks like Ray Lewis finally got his just deserts.

    RJOQV.jpg

    rFPgD.jpg

    bO0v7.png
  • WeaverWeaver send help pirates have meRegistered User regular
    The OWS thread is like,right over there.

    ProfessionalandCommander_zps6c326307.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    Admittedly people might think it's a Mass Effect thread.

  • WeaverWeaver send help pirates have meRegistered User regular
    I'll update the title when I get home. On my phone right now.

    ProfessionalandCommander_zps6c326307.jpg
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    Admittedly people might think it's a Mass Effect thread.
    Weaver wrote:
    I'll update the title when I get home. On my phone right now.

    Yeah, I actually thought that was a ME3 thread, and was curious as to why there were two of them going on.

    Guess I should have investigated further.


    bO0v7.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Living Proof That Sometimes Friends Are Mean.Registered User regular
    change the title to "Occupy My Butt"

    OWQbJgI.png
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I only occupy the finest of bleached butts.

    It's got to be whiter than an albino white person, too.

    bO0v7.png
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote:


    l
    o
    l

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 Registered User
    Weaver wrote:
    I'll update the title when I get home. On my phone right now.

    I'm waiting...

    Love me.
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    that is outrageous. the officer doesn't have his visor down, he could get some pepper spray in his face like that, and that stuff stings

    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Wait...with minimal effort those air soft guns can be converted to machine guns?

    Uh...what?!

  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    microbullets

    Xehalus on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Living Proof That Sometimes Friends Are Mean.Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    Looks like Ray Lewis finally got his just deserts.

    RJOQV.jpg

    rFPgD.jpg

    i was about to say something about "i KNEW he stabbed that guy" and then i realized you meant some old white asshole and i lost interest

    OWQbJgI.png
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    That's the joke I was going for.

    snfffff

    bO0v7.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, you go ahead and put a real round into a fake gun from Taiwan and we will be sure to call a good mortician for you.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Yeah, you go ahead and put a real round into a fake gun from Taiwan and we will be sure to call a good mortician for you.

    More like "oh shit I just snagged a shipment of toy guns, I better justify myself and my job anyway I can"

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote:


    l
    o
    l

    how does someone get a job at the ATF without knowing anything about firearms?

    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Living Proof That Sometimes Friends Are Mean.Registered User regular
    see macro, i knew you were alright. i don't care what anybody else says

    OWQbJgI.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    this thread is clearly a failure to communicate

    Xehalus on
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hey, I can post Youtube videos too!



    e: I really wish I could find more videos of the good cops, but as was stated earlier, no one gives a shit about that. Everyone just wants to see them fucking up.

    godmode on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    from my experience playing SS13, if you give a group of untrained people cop power, they'll do what the cops are doing right now

    These cops haven't been trained properly and need to go back to Keeping the Peace 101

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ToxTox I kill threads Pharezon's human garbage heapRegistered User regular
    I'll be honest, I fucking love seeing cops doing some baller shit. Even if it's just a PIT maneuver on someone fleeing arrest.

    The trick to cops is you have to put them next to someone who's easier to hate. Like a drunk driver, or a pedophile. Nobody ever watched Dateline and hated on those cops.

    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    James Dean was the actor, Jimmy Dean was in the sausage business.

    James Deen is both an actor AND in the sausage business.
    Secret Satans! Post | Gaming Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    I'll be honest, I fucking love seeing cops doing some baller shit. Even if it's just a PIT maneuver on someone fleeing arrest.

    The trick to cops is you have to put them next to someone who's easier to hate. Like a drunk driver, or a pedophile. Nobody ever watched Dateline and hated on those cops.

    No Tox. They're cops, so they're fundamentally terrible. Haven't you been following along?

  • ToxTox I kill threads Pharezon's human garbage heapRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I mean, look, there's a vocal minority of shitty cops out there. They aren't the real problem, though. The real problem is the overwhelming majority of LEOs that toe the thin blue line. Then there's the good cops, and nobody talks about them, because the really good cops don't last long, because they refuse to toe the thin blue line.

    You're in the service, godmode, so you've got to know what I'm talking about. Every once in a while shit just gets swept under the rug, to keep the unit from looking bad. It's shitty, and more people need to do more to speak out when they see it, but it's the rule, not the exception.

    Tox on
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    James Dean was the actor, Jimmy Dean was in the sausage business.

    James Deen is both an actor AND in the sausage business.
    Secret Satans! Post | Gaming Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Godmode you continue to miss the point.

    jkZziGc.png
  • DontShootToastersDontShootToasters Registered User regular
    godmode wrote:
    Hey, I can post Youtube videos too!



    e: I really wish I could find more videos of the good cops, but as was stated earlier, no one gives a shit about that. Everyone just wants to see them fucking up.

    Because it is a cops job to protect and serve, by doing that they are living up to the expectations and if they go above and beyond (like in your video) I'm sure they get some sort of commendation/promotion/etc.

    But when a cop doesn't live up to the expectations placed upon them (like that guy spraying the students) there is very rarely any punishment or retribution, likely just a few days forced vacation if that, and therein lies the problem.

    Commendation for the good officers but no condemnation for the bad (at least within the confines of the police force itself)

    digichuckarm2.png
This discussion has been closed.