As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unevenly dilated pupils

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Going to schedule an eye doctor appointment tomorrow, so don't worry about that.

I was standing in the bathroom on Friday when I realized my pupils were unevenly dilated. I tried shielding my eyes from the light a few times, and it seems like my left eye doesn't contract as fast as my right eye does. Here's what it looks like:
v2EDM.jpg
(EDIT: Apologies if the image is huge. Tried to change it.)

I've noticed for the past two years that I'm a little nearsighted in the eye in question, but it hasn't really bothered me until this past weekend, when it seemed to get somewhat more noticeable.

At first, I thought I had pinkeye, but that's not supposed to affect the pupil size. Also, there's no sort of discharge coming from the eye. There's no pain or pressure either.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Toldo on

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    First, your eyes are super green.

Second, how do you know that the other one doesn't just contract super-fast?

Third, schedule a routine eye appointment with your optometrist. They're usually dirt cheap for an eye exam ($20) and then bring it up like "hey, is this normal?" Plus, routine eye exams are super important.

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    First, your eyes are super green.

Second, how do you know that the other one doesn't just contract super-fast?

Third, schedule a routine eye appointment with your optometrist. They're usually dirt cheap for an eye exam ($20) and then bring it up like "hey, is this normal?" Plus, routine eye exams are super important.

8->

Anyway--I assume the left eye (the image is flipped because I was looking into the mirror) is the problem because of the redness and nearsightedness.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming you're not an old guy with a bunch of neurological problems? No massive headaches and confusion?

For an otherwise fit & healthy young guy, uneven dilation is usually a temporary brain issue - not nearly as dire as it sounds, but I can't think of a better way to word it. Examples would be; not getting enough sleep, drinking too much caffeine, stress, anything that can put pressure on ya mind can fuck with your pupils.

Y'know how stressed out people can develop nervous twitches in the mouth, stuff like that? Eye is the same deal - a nerve twitch causes this uneven dilation.

Also, you wanna self research this stuff, the symptom is "Anisocoria".

Try and relax til ya see the eye doctor - without any other symptoms, this is nothing to really worry about.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DrAlleconDrAllecon Registered User regular
    I'm glad you have an appointment set up with an eye doctor. It could be something serious, but easy to correct like glaucoma. It could be mental strain/stress that could affect the pupil in that manner. It could be something called Keratoconus, in which the cornea is slightly cone-shaped causing a visual disturbance and unusual appearance of your pupil.

Even if it's completely benign, being a little nearsighted in one eye is a good enough reason to see an eye doctor if it's been a while.

Good luck, and keep us posted, please.
    :)

• Options
    Thanks for the responses--I feel a lot better now.

I'll keep you updated.

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    My pupils are generally unevenly dilated and have been my entire life. I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, but it can't hurt to see your eye doctor as others have said.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Are you on any drugs? Cocaine, OTC Vicks/Robitussin, etc?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    Are you on any drugs? Cocaine, OTC Vicks/Robitussin, etc?

Except for the daily multivitamin, nope.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    have you recently smacked the shit out of your head?

• Options
    have you recently smacked the shit out of your head?

Can't say I have, no.

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    You should consult with a Neurosurgeon, Doctors normally link this to brain issues.

I am not a Doctor

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!