As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JRPG Club: Play Games and Learn Japanese

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    So I need to take the JLPT this summer and score at least a 3 for this state department exchange program I want to do. I looked at the website briefly, but I'm still unclear on a few things. It looks like the only summer test available is in Japan, and the website says that it's available in all major cities, so I'm sure it's available in Tokyo. Can I go straight to N3 without taking any of the previous levels? I bought some study guides for the three components, and bravely second for some additional fun.

I assume you mean that you want to pass N3 for the program? I'm not sure what "score at least a 3" means in this context. The tests are essentially pass/fail (though they do give you your actual score in the various sections). There'll be multiple locations for the test in Tokyo and you'll be assigned to one after you apply.

You can take any level of the test that you like. Most people skip the lower levels as they really have no practical use.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    If you feel confident, you can skip them, but the test tries as hard as it can to make you fail, so you probably want to take N4.

Bravely Default 1 has a lot of vocabulary that's very useful for N3. I wish I had had it before taking it, because I'm sure I would have obtained those 4 points I needed to pass it.

Also, I was told that you needed to study in an institution in order to be able to take the JLPT, was I lied to?

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »
    Also, I was told that you needed to study in an institution in order to be able to take the JLPT, was I lied to?

It's possible that such things vary by country, but in the US and Japan anyone can take it that wants to.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ah, I see. I thought it was weird. I was told that they required people to be students of an institute in order to make sure they have a higher chance of passing it. It might have been BS, because every answer to a question I asked that person seemed to be either completely wrong or an outright lie.

RockinX on
  • Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Pretty sure it's bullshit, but I took my tests before they changed it to the new N-whatever system.

Supposedly N3 is the new JLPT4? If so it's garbage and essentially useless. I really don't see how it'd be enough for an exchange program at all.

Edit: That being said though, I personally feel that classes (as in real classes in language schools, not college or community centre classes taught by people with dubious qualifications) and immersion are the only good ways to learn a language.

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    Supposedly N3 is the new JLPT4? If so it's garbage and essentially useless. I really don't see how it'd be enough for an exchange program at all.

N3 would be like 2.5 on the old system.

But yeah, I never understood why anyone took yonkyu.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, new N5 is basically old Yonkyu.

RockinX on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    The exchange program I'm going for has some language instruction, but it's very short and they prefer those who have a good foundation in the language already. If I thought I could pass the N2 in time I'd go for that instead. Looking at the N3 books that I have they seem pretty challenging already. I don't think N4 will make my application competitive, so that's why it's N3 or bust.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Just to establish where I'm coming from, I do have JLPT 1 from the old system.

So uh, I took the sample questions from the N3 test, and I don't think it's something you're going to be able to pass if all you know are conversational phrases right now. There are some things you can do though to maximize your chances:

1) Be absolutely sure you have the N4 material down before you even consider taking N3.
    2) Download the word list for N3, and start memorizing it. Make sure you know the kanji and the multiple readings as well.
    3) See if you can get your hands on the "kanzen master" books.
    4) Remember that you're taking a test, so to maximize score you really need to not build up general knowledge, but anticipate what type of questions are going to be the exam.
    5) Try to watch at least an hour of Japanese TV every day, two hours if possible. Make sure you're used to hearing Japanese speakers at a natural speed.

Fake edit: Did all the problems, got a perfect on the N1! :surprised:

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how much it's changed, but here's a few tips from when I took it (eight years ago...)

The listening section is pathetically easy compared to the level of the rest. Even on the old level 1, they were nothing like normal speech, far slower, and overenunciated. No slang or slurring or dialects or anything. Useless as a measurement of actual listening ability.

Each section was really generous with time; I always ended up sitting there bored out of my mind for nearly an hour.

The third section started with quick vocab stuff, and built up to longer essays; I did this backwards, taking the time to work on the essays while I was pretty calm, and then working through the vocab/kanji stuff where you either know it or you don't (and thus can lose confidence if you hit a bunch you have to guess at.)
    That's really a rule that applies to all tests; you don't have to take it in order; if something looks beyond you, just skip it and do the next thing. Maybe come back to the stuff you didn't know and fill in C for all of them to maximize your chances of getting lucky right answers.

As far as studying goes, any decent bookstore in Japan will have a number of really good text books designed specifically for the type of material that's on the test.
    I found them very helpful.
    I failed the level 1 the first time I took it, barely; it was pretty obvious what words I was missing -- business and economic terms. I wound up getting a manga about con artists running bank scams and so on, and that was a huge help providing context for that type of language, and reinforcing the vocab and grammar I was drilling.

I also agree with the TV thing; anime and game voices are nothing like real speakers, or even what's on the test. Hearing a variety of different levels of speech and styles of acting or speaking makes it easier to guess at words you might not catch.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Something else to keep in mind is that if it's your first time, you're probably going to have to get used to the heavy amount of trick questions on the test, hence why I keep recommending N4 instead of N3 as your first JLPT.

I mean, there are SO MANY trick questions that when they gave me an easy question, I instantly thought it was a trick question and had to re-read it several times (this is on every level). On N5 (yes, on fricking N5, the easiest one) they even threw in a fake kanji.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Made an image to explain(?) how Super Robot Wars games and other spinoffs (including Project X Zone) are related to each other.
    srw%2Bthing.png

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Watch out for Dante in the third kalpa, though.

• Options
    Did you mean: Raidou

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I'm doing this Rosetta Stone course stuff and I feel like I'm mispronouncing stuff while the course says I'm saying it right. I don't think I'll ever be able to say swim or swimming correctly.

So would P4G be good for trying to help me learn how to speak Japanese? Not sure I'm even close enough to be up for trying to read it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I'm doing this Rosetta Stone course stuff and I feel like I'm mispronouncing stuff while the course says I'm saying it right. I don't think I'll ever be able to say swim or swimming correctly.

So would P4G be good for trying to help me learn how to speak Japanese? Not sure I'm even close enough to be up for trying to read it.
    Go for something that would have more everyday vocabulary, like Pokémon.

Just kidding, Tokimeki Memorial should be pretty good (I passed N4 thanks to it), but there isn't that much swimming save for when you go on a date to the pool or the beach.

• Options

I just played P4 last week so have it fresh in my memory. I think it's pretty good in terms of useful, common vocabulary. It's pretty high level common vocabulary, though, and anything related to Igor, demons, or the true ending is going to be very difficult for you to decipher.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    They added the option to scroll backwards in P4G, didn't they? Any game with that feature (mostly ADV but some SLGs like Suparobo games have it too) that's also voiced would be a good way of getting reading, listening, and speech down.

I'd recommend one of the Science Adventure games but Chaos;head is garbage and heavy on slang and Steins;gate is heavy on slang and Robotics;notes is garbage so... Uh, maybe something in the Memories Off series (I'd recommend 1, 2, 4 or 7; 6 is mediocre and 3 and 5 are rubbish. They're all independent of each other so you can start from anywhere) or something from Kid's Infinity series (it was also released in English, but if you haven't played it then Ever 17 might be a good place to start). ADVs tend to let you replay previous lines as well so that's a plus over RPGs.

I've seen people say that you can't learn how to speak Japanese from anime or games or whatever, which usually ends up in apocrypha about someone learning Japanese from Rurouni Kenshin and getting laughed at, but as long as it's not the sole source of your knowledge, and so long as you stick to stuff with contemporary, realistic settings, I'd say it's a pretty good way to bolster what you're already learning.

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    It's a manga, not a game, but Detective Conan is faaaaantastic for super useful everyday vocabulary. And all grammar is textbook, even the Kansai dialect is textbook (and therefore nothing like the real thing.)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    And there are like one thousand volumes of it, so you can practice for a while.

• Options
    Oh and the Japanese versions of Wild Arms 4 and 5 (PS2) have furigana.

5 is on PSN.

• Options
    Rockman Dash 2 has furigana, but not every line is voiced. Tron ni Kobun doesn't have furigana, though.

• Options
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular

I always recommend Dragon Quest V, as a good first game to play in Japanese. It isn't really demanding in terms of vocabulary or kanji knowledge and deals with a surprisingly large number of everyday themes.

You should really be watching TV. Some variety/reality shows I've enjoyed are: Ougon Densetsu, Ai Nori, Hoko x Tate, Trivia no Izumi etc. There are a lot of dramas as well: Kinpachi sensei, GTO, Densetsu no Kyoshi, Shomuni, Bara no Nai Hanaya, Densha Otoko etc. Take on comedy variety shows once you have some confidence with the more basic stuff.

• Options
    For the Genki textbooks, Amazon has one that is $50 and one that is $25, is one a supplement and the other the is the textbook? Or is there something else to it? Not sure which one I should be buying.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    I was writing down the hiragana characters because I figured it would help with remembering them and I noticed "ji" and "zu" each had two different characters. In the genki book it lists them in a grid. "Ji" falls under the z and i slot and the d and i slot while the "zu" characters fall under the z and u slot and the d and u slot.

It is probably explained how they are differentiated later in the book and I know the two lines that look like a quote symbol changes the character but will I see this a lot?

• Options
    There is no such thing as "di" or "du" and even if there was you wouldn't write them with those letters. でぃ is commonly used for di with loan words (so usually katakana) and if you type du you get づ, which is only really used when repeating "tsu" twice, and isn't really pronounced "du".

• Options
    I haven't started writing down the katakana, just the hiragana so far. It also doesn't say there is a "di" or a "du", for those slots it is "ji" and "zu". I was just curious if there was a lot of this.

• Options
    One of the few words I've seen where there's a ぢ is ばかぢから (brute force). Arino (from Game Center CX) wrote Arijigoku as "arizigoku" in romaji once, which I'm sure is because he was just being goofy.

• Options
    I think I misread your initial post and thought you were seeing the same hiragana, not identical readings.
    づ and ぢ are very rare, and are really a result of the previous sound causing a more guttural pronunciation of the sound that follows.
    (This is different from Arijigoku getting written Arizigoku -- that's just Kunrei romanization, which Japanese natives tend to prefer. It's more consistent with Japanese (all s sounds change to z), but ignores the actual phonetic changes (し is pronounced shi, not si, and changes to a j sound, not a z) so it isn't widely used by anyone who isn't a native speaker. Hepburn is much better, but still has a dubious choice or two.)

• Options
    And here I was thinking he was being goofy, like he usually is.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    What is this guy's name?

tumblr_nmcyx10SXm1skns5ho3_1280.jpg

It appears in the little white text over his portrait. I know it's katakana, but I can't read the first and third characters. Is that a ミ with a dakuten? Stupid GHM fonts.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Morishima.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    モ. Ah, I see. Tricky.

So that's supposed to be a シ?

I guess that is Tokio Morishima then... I was hoping it was Stephen Charbonie from Flower Sun and Rain.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    シ and ツ, ソ and ン were super hard to tell apart at first.
    Remember that all strokes go left to right in シ and ン, while all strokes go down in ツ and ソ; this will make them a lot easier to recognize hand written and in odder fonts.
    (ソ and リ hand written I can't help you with, I'm still reading them wrong with bad handwriting...)

• Options
    I sure picked a tough beast to take on, TSC is full of pages upon pages of dialogue, with no voice acting whatsoever.

But boy is it striking.
    mJu1E7I.jpg
    W1YkP64.jpg
    NEI5pSE.jpg
    r8npdQ2.jpg
    FGGEjk3.jpg
    l2CuRgC.jpg
    MNkjVDd.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Kamui Drome is messed up.

Couple attempts:
    6tQZ89L.jpg
    (Tomo-kun?)

Q1EsyIJ.jpg
    (Kamui...?)

THXs7bu.jpg

Tricky. Are the fourth and fifth characters kanji? I'm gathering the first three are ne-tto?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Netto wo shinji yo
    wo is を, hiragana; in this case a particle indicating object.
    信 is a kanji meaning believe.

• Options
    Ah. I hate having to switch between the two... I wish it'd stay consistent.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Cleared Xenoblade X, just crossposting this here.
    Just cleared the game, copypasting stuff I wrote elsewhere over.
    I can't honestly say that this game was good. In fact it was pretty bad.

Stuff I posted elsewhere:
    Entered the final boss area. And lost that fight because when I activated my OC gear the game's SHIT LOCKON DECIDED TO MAKE ME TARGET EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE FUCKING BOSS AND THEN MY ROBOTS GOT DESTROYED AND BECAUSE THESE STUPID FUCKS MADE IT SO THAT YOU HAVE TO GO BACK TO BASE TO HAVE YOUR ROBOTS REPAIRED WHENEVER THEY'RE DESTROYED BUT THEY DON'T LET YOU OUT OF THE FINAL AREA I CAN'T RETRY WITH MY ROBOTS UNLESS I QUIT AND GO BACK TO MY SAVE FROM BEFORE I ENTERED THE QUEST BECAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SAVE SLOT AND STORY QUESTS LOCK YOU IN SO YOU MUST NEVER SAVE WHILE A STORY QUEST IS IN PROGRESS BECAUSE IF YOU CAN'T CLEAR IT THEY DON'T FUCKING LET YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE

WOW FUCK THIS GAME

-

Cleared the game. Total playtime 67 hours. Ends on a cliffhanger.

I like the setting and characters and it's a damn shame about the system being this bad. I'm definitely getting the sequel (and of course there's going to be a sequel, if they did this ending without a sequel already in the works there's something damn fucking wrong with them), but hoping that they'll fix the retarded bullshit like what I mentioned in that post and what other people have mentioned (all the fucking grinding).

-

Also since nobody mentioned it: Some quests require you to get info from NPCs, but they only tell you which area (LARGE areas) the NPCs are in, plus the game has a day/night cycle split up into SIX parts (early morning, morning, day, evening, night, late night) and some NPCs only show up at certain times of the day. And guess what, all these fucking quests that require you to find random NPCs have NPCs THAT ONLY SHOW UP AT CERTAIN TIMES AND THEY DON'T TELL YOU WHEN.

Hope you enjoy running circuits around the same area six times to find one guy who'll give you the info you need to advance your quest because that shit happens a LOT.

-

I didn't have a Wii and haven't played Xenoblade so I don't know how this is compared to it, but on its own and compared to other Japanese RPGs (like say Falcom's Kiseki series or Tales or Atlus stuff) the gameplay is pretty bad.

Aside from the grinding, it's not "this game is fucking garbage" bad, it's more like they didn't playtest it enough and didn't think to explain stuff better bad. A lot of it, like the horrible lock-on, seems like it could be easily patched out (does the WiiU even patch games? I only got mine two months ago and haven't played anything besides this and Bayo 2).

-

Oh and I should mention that if you want to shorten the load times you have to download like 15 GB of stuff that takes roughly 1-2 hours to just INSTALL (took me 2 hours to download, too).

I literally spent an hour on Himeri's last kizuna quest looking for the second guy to eavesdrop on because they decided to be obnoxious and put him right next to the first guy... except at a different time of the day.

-

Another thing that irks me: You can't add people to your party from the menu, you have to find them in the town and talk to them to add them (you can kick them out with the menu anytime).

Pretty annoying if they're scattered all over, plus most of the time the game doesn't fucking tell you where they are and they're hiding in corners and you have to poke at your gamepad map to find where their default waiting spot is.

So yeah, it's like they didn't playtest it at all.

-

Yeah, the day/night cycle is pretty cool, especially since it affects cutscenes so you can see the same thing happening at different times of the day, but it's the source of TONS of frustration (enemies also spawn only at certain times of the day) and there honestly aren't any real merits aside from "it looks really cool".

-

Oh fuck I just recalled another stupid part: One quest requires you to take on two giant level 35 monsters. They're pretty tough, but not TOO much of a problem.

The problem is that a level 58 overed spawns right next to them, and his patrol path GOES RIGHT THROUGH THE BATTLE AREA.

Of course he kills you in one hit.

This isn't even random generation, he ALWAYS spawns in the same spot, and walks in the same direction.

What the actual fuck?

-

Another problem with the game.

The Union thing usually doesn't matter at all except in online, where what you do contributes points to your Union, and they add up the points from all the members every day, and depending on how well your union did you can collect items (this is also the ONLY way in the game you can get consumables to replenish health or fuel or TP or to repair a doll off warranty without forking out ridiculous amounts of cash).

Interceptor has a million fucking members more than all the other unions and its score is like ten times that of whatever's in second place, every day.

Unless you're in Interceptor there's no way to get the best shit.

Fucking stupid.

-

Nothing happens for 99% ofthe game and then they cram all the plot into the last half-hour. And by plot I mean foreshadowing.

Xenoblade X is clearly getting a sequel (because if they aren't already working on one but had the balls to pull off this fucking ending holy shit). Hope it doesn't turn out the same way as Xenosaga with its "our show got cancelled" levels of bullshit.

So yeah, it's VERY unpolished.

But I still kind of enjoyed it, and like I said up there, the setting, characters, and designs are interesting enough that I'll definitely get the sequel.

I just hope they fix this fucking horrible gameplay.

I've seen people comparing it to the first four .hack games and while I wouldn't say it's THAT bad it gets pretty damn close.

It was still moderately enjoyable though, and people who don't mind horrible horrible grindfests (I mean, there are people who enjoy MMORPGs, aren't there?) would probably find it way more fun than I did.
    Maz- wrote: »
    Sound the ridiculous armor klaxon
    Fashionblade X
    IMG_6707.JPG