As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mafia: baseball bat to the face

BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
this was just brought up in the Max Payne thread and my nostalgia went haywire so I made a thread.

Mafia: great 3rd person PC action game where you play an enforcer for the mob or worst game ever released for the PS2 and Xbox? uh both probably..

the following is a review of it I wrote back in 2004 for my friends in my clan. My writing is amatuerish at best and incredibly cheesy at worst (especially the captions) but it gets the point accross.

Intro

I never really paid much attention to Mafia when it was released nearly a year and a half ago. It received little hype and I don't even remember reading a review anywhere. However several weeks ago there was a discussion on Vice City on a game-related forum I frequent and several people mentioned Mafia (specifically the police being more attentive). The next day I happened to see the jewelcase version of Mafia for $9.99 at Wal-Mart. I thought "what the hell" and picked it up. Boy am I sure glad I did .

Mafia is inevitably going to draw comparisons to Grand Theft Auto 3 and VC. And while the games do have some similarities, there are some major differences. In GTA, while there are plenty of missions to complete, you don't have to play any of them and can just drive around doing your own thing if you so wish. In Mafia you must complete each mission in a row, the game is centered around the missions, like a traditional action game. While you can drive around doing nothing, it can only be done in 'Free Ride' mode on the main menu and is separate from the main game. So while you may feel restricted in Mafia, the reality is you can pretty much drive anywhere, although many missions have a time limit to complete certain tasks.
mafia01rw7.th.jpg
The cut scenes are amazing and yet the rest of the game looks much the same.

GRAPHICS AND PRESENTATION

From the moment you're first swept into the intro cut scene, you can feel the living, breathing city of Lost Heaven. Pedestrians roam about, automobile drivers honk their horns, birds sing, the sun shines, ah what a beautiful day! The cut scenes in this game are done directly in the in-game engine, and apart from the scripted camera-work, look just like the main game would. The world of Mafia is very vibrant with great looking and colorful textures everywhere. And even with the graphics settings turned up to the maximum, I never had any slowdown. Then again I have a gig of RAM . Everything is as detailed as you would expect. Blood flows, tire marks, shattered glass, its all there.
mafia13iz6.th.jpg
Lovely weather this evening.

The only complaint I have is the horrible viewing distance. It's almost like Ghost Recon in that beyond a certain point (I don't know, something like a mile away) everything just disappears. This doesn't really detract from the game, its just pretty disappointing.
mafia02fi8.th.jpg
You start out as a Cab Driver. Note the pop-up in the distance.

STORY AND GAMEPLAY

The game starts off with the character you play as, Tommy Angelo, offering information about the mob to a detective. As Tommy tells his story, the game flashbacks 10 years to 1938 where you play out his life. Mission one starts out with you, Tommy, as a lowly cab driver caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Before you know it you're one of the Don's lieutenants. The game takes place over 21 missions. That may not seem like a lot but many of them are very lengthy. One even has something like 9 parts to it! Your tasks in these missions range from chauffeuring your boss around, to transporting illegal liqueur, to assassinations. You work for Don Salieri. His right-hand man is Frank. Your two main companions are Paulie and Sam. They're the Don's other Lieutenants.
mafia03jz4.th.jpg
One of your first tasks is to go open up a can of whup-ass on the cars of some enemy gangsters who ruined your cab.

mafia07sa3.th.jpg
Driving through the tunnel.

The driving sequences in the game usually revolve around getting to different locations, although a few chases and pursuits occur. To facilitate you in your reckless behavior is the Don's stuttering mechanic, Ralphie, who "maybe a complete idiot, but knows everything about cars". Ralphie will usually give you a car and teach you how to steal particular models. Speaking of models, all the cars in the game are all authentic vintage models, albeit with fake names. Behind the Don's restaurant (your base of operations) You have a spacious garage to keep your collection of wheels in. Another gearhead is Lucas Bertone, who's garage you can visit at certain times in the game. Lucas will give you a small job to do in return for showing you how to steal some of the more exotic vehicles (i.e. bad-ass sports cars). One of the most enjoyable parts of the game was where you take a vintage race car flying down dark city streets at insane speeds (at least compared to anything else on the road).
mafia05ul8.th.jpg
The Racecar.

mafia12hv7.th.jpg
Powersliding one of the better cars in the game.

The driving is pretty fun but it gets boring after a while. Good thing most of the game centers on the action. As a Mafioso you have access to a variety of weapons. The Don's weapons expert is Vincenzo. You'll visit him often. Weapons in the game include baseball bats, colt 45s, sawed-offs and tommyguns. And you're sure gonna need em! You'll be up against everything from two-bit thugs to competing Dons. This is where the game really shines. These are some of the greatest shooting missions in any action game I've played in several years. I just can't describe it with words.

mafia08rg7.th.jpg
Not everyone wants to shake your hand.

mafia09oz3.th.jpg
Boss, next time lets just order delivery.

MUSIC

While wandering the city you'l hear authentic old-timey jazz music which gets repetative but its subdued enough not to get annoying. Where the Audio really shines however is in the cut scenes. They really outdid themselves with this stuff. You can download an MP3 of the Main Theme here.
mafia06rn3.th.jpg
Lost Heaven's Finest have a habit of medling in matters that do not concern them.

AI

The people of Lost Heaven are, well they're not rocket scientists but they're not stupid. Sometimes the pedestrians will accidentally jump in front of you when your driving 80mph down a crowded street though. The enemies you square off against are your standard faire. They're not doom-like and just run at you, they take cover a lot. They're not geniuses, but they're not as stupid as some game's AI. And then there's your friends. The only time I ever got frustrated in this game was when I had Sam and/or Paulie with me. They have decent pathfinding skills (only a couple times did they ever get stuck trying to get to me), but I that when they're working with you, someone took their common sense and threw in front of one of the streetcars in the game. On several occasions (mainly the parking garage mission) they will go charging ahead right into their own doom. At one point I was on like my 20th try on the parking garage mission (an awesome mission at that) because Paulie was such a dumbass I wanted to go break something. The one people that are, if not smart, but attentive are the police. In Grand Theft Auto, for example, the police pretty much ignore you unless you run into their cars, or attack someone when your around a cop. In Mafia they'll pull you over for running a red light and speeding! Usually if you pull over immediately they'll just write you a ticket and you can go on your way. But if they see a weapon or you run then they'll arrest you. And if they see you fire a weapon or attack someone then they'll shoot you on sight. Like the rest of the AI their pathfinding skills aren't the best but they're pretty smart.

mafia04yh2.th.jpg
Hey laaaaaydee!.

mafia14bq4.th.jpg
Tommygun action.

EXTRAS

From the main menu there is a "Free Ride" mode where you slowly unlock options such as amount of pedestrians, traffic, police etc. You earn money by doing things like speeding, killing gangsters (in Free Ride they roam about like the gangs in Grand Theft Auto), etc.
mafia11hk1.th.jpg
Must have been something he ate.

When you beat the game you unlock "Free Ride Extreme" which is a mode where there are no cops and you take little fun jobs from guys standing on the side of the street waving their arms at you. For example the first mission requires you to run down a man in his underwear who is on fire and runs at 80mph! Unfortunately actually finding the men giving you the missions was next to impossible for me so I pretty much gave up.
mafia10zx5.th.jpg
This game definately earns its M rating.

OVERALL CONCLUSIONS

While not as deep as Grand Theft Auto, Mafia is a huge game with a lot to do and some just plain awesome shooting sequences. However dodgy AI keeps this from getting a better score.

I give it 4 out of 5 Stars.

ok, discuss

steam_sig.png
Basticle on

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    If you can manage to get through the annoying parts like winning the big race and just getting around some stupid AI and seemingly random successes of missions, you will be rewarded with what is actually a really fucking sweet game and story.

The majority of the music is by Django Reinhardt and the game had pretty much made me buy a ton of CDs of his music.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    In one of the patches they made it so you can skip the race.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    Tricky shysters!

bombardier on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mafia is one of the few games where you end up caring about your NPC friends. Sam and Paulie were chums - you enjoyed listening to what they had to say and watching their backs with tommy gun in hand. It's funny because the NPCs had so much more (believable) personality in Mafia than any other game at the time but the city was dead. Every door was locked, very little in the way of destructible environments, etc.

Still, great little game. I hear the console versions were poorly ported, though.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I pine for a remake in a more modern engine (the game originaly came out in 2002 and it was showing its age when I played it and wrote that review in 2004)

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Good game, great story and I have to say I really enjoyed puttering round town, keeping my speed down and then occasionally letting rip (like down the back straight over the bridge into chinatown) when nobody was looking. Gets the thumbs up from me.

Toast on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The last level,
    the shootout in the art museum with Sam,
    is so fucking awesome. It is beyond words.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    my favorite level was any of them where you get to shoot people

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It did feel weird when one of the missions was to murder a Senator with a sniper rifle. Even mob movies don't go that far.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    I have a soft spot in my heart for Mafia, but honestly, the gameplay was a pile of nothing.

Tube on
  • Options
    GallsGalls Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I pre ordered this game way back when. Then just recently re installed it on my laptop.

This game is probably the best gang/mafia game ever. It had the best story line in a game and honesty made me feel like I was mafioso lol.

And for the time the gameplay was awesome, the race was hard as hell but I beat that before that patch made it easier.

Galls on
    Galls.png
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I loved this game. The fucking race was awful though. I worked on it for two days and managed to do TWO laps without flipping over and dying. At no point was I in first place though. Finally, I played the game after drinking a bit. First place on my first try. No idea how that worked.

Walter on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I remember buying this game on a whim, and enjoying it a fair bit. Really cool game, had lots of style.

I played up until the mission where you had to drive the racecar through the city avoiding the cops, because I could never get past it and I almost did once, but I couldn't find where the garage was until the very last second and it was too late. Ugh

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I always exploit a nifty glitch for the race. There's a point fairly close to the starting line on the left that's got these concrete barriers blocking off a path. There's a gap between the barriers and the wall that you can easily drive through. Follow this path until you get back to a road, then hit your Reset Car button. This will put you back on the track a short distance from the line. Just do this for each lap and you'll easily win the race and get it over with fairly quickly as well.

I'm really hoping a sequel comes out soon because this is one of my Top 10 favorite games of all time.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't know if you watched the ending, but... it's not really set up for a sequel.

Toast on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Toast wrote: »
    I don't know if you watched the ending, but... it's not really set up for a sequel.

Not a direct sequel, but definitely a Mafia 2.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I could see a prequel happening. Salieri and Morello had to grow up together and gain influence in organized crime.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i remember looking forward to this game. it was pretty decent. what someone said about the city being dead is true, but parts of the city looked nice. the big race was annoying as hell, and i think i stopped playing it around then.

theparttime on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ya know, I could never track down a PC version of the game. I feel sooo left out and want to try and buy it. Anybody got a link as to where I can get it? Because sure as shit, it isn't going to be more than say $10, I bet.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Great game. As everyone else has said, the race was tough as nails, but you get through it eventually. And boy is it worth it for the rest of the game.

I'd love to see a sequel/prequel. Or heck, it doesn't even have to have anything to do with the first game, just give me more 20s/30s era games. Where I can shoot people with a tommy gun.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hidden and Dangerous 2 (one of the best games ever imo) is by the same developers (same engine too) has a tommy gun

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    Hidden and Dangerous 2 (one of the best games ever imo) is by the same developers (same engine too) has a tommy gun
    Then I will soon be picking up this game.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ah...i remember the day i picked this up....i got it in a box packaged with max payne...and i think it was mislabled so i got it for like, $9

i wish i could pick it up again, but my pc has died

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Score! Demo for the game available here! We can finally satisfy our nostalgia/longing for the game!

http://www.mafia-game.com/indexnews.htm

EDIT: Downloading now, Hopefully it works with a 7-series GPU.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What was so bad about the console versions? I always considered picking up the Xbox version since it's like the price of a taco these days.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    What was so bad about the console versions? I always considered picking up the Xbox version since it's like the price of a taco these days.

I havent actually played it but to answer your question: everything. horrible horrible graphics and frame rate being one of the biggest things

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I remember it on the PS2, it was just lacking controls, it was just was too hard to really pickup and get good with and felt clunky.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    If anyone has a hankering for a mafia game, the godfather game was actually really good

Tube on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm listening to the theme right now because it is so fucking awesome.
    When it kicks in as you kill Sam is one of my favourite moments in gaming ever.

The only thing about this game that really irks me, other than the Running Man and race missions, is the voice acting. How it seems to me is like the actors are good at it, but they were just given their lines rather than a script, so they had no idea what was actually happening when their characters spoke the lines. Could have been better in that respect.

Also, my PC runs it perfectly with everything I'm able to crank cranked, but the draw distance doesn't go high enough. There needs to be a hack.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mafia has a permanent place on my hard drive. I replay it once a year or so.

It's good. Damn good, and very immersive. I haven't every had big problems with NPC path finding or any other big gliches in the game myself. I beat the race on my third try and haven't lost it since.

Favorite level:

The farm. First time I played it my PC monitor was too dark so the back ground was washed out, all you saw was the buildings, the ground around them and of course the wind and rain. Fucking creeped me OUT. Still does.

I can't take cheesy scenes though and I admit that I've never, ever watched the scene after you escort the bartenders daughter home. Just can't do it man.

Any way it's easy my top five favorites of all time, might be number one.

As to sequels:

Yes, there is a sequel in the works, been ongoing for a couple of years now but the company is very tight lipped about it. The only information I have is that it may, and I stress may, take place in the 60's and 70's. O_O

If you have the game by the way, the music is very easy to extract. Something along the lines of just opening the folder. I listen to it on my itunes on occasion.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I love this game in every way. Except for the gameplay itself.

I screw around in free ride, loved the hell out of the atmosphere, and watched the (epic) last level + final cutscene as a friend completed them.

I must get around to getting the soundtrack and the musician's other music sometime. I love me some oboe.

Suriko on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This was really one of the most absorbing games I've ever played.

Unfortunately, I never made it past the stealth level. I really should go back some day...

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sonar wrote: »

Yes, there is a sequel in the works, been ongoing for a couple of years now but the company is very tight lipped about it. The only information I have is that it may, and I stress may, take place in the 60's and 70's. O_O

Weren´t they so tight lipped to the point that it is now considered vapourware?

And I love Mafia to no end, it is one of my top 3 games ever. I just hate when people dismiss it as being a GTA clone, being that Mafia was announced and in production before GTA 3 just was released later. I seriously encourage the people who said that played the game but never finish to get around and do it, it probably is still the most immersive game out there...

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Great game.

To those who had trouble with the race - were you trying to drive with the keyboard? I failed the race about 10 times in a row before I dug a Sidewinder gamepad out of my drawer. After that I won the race easily.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dunno about a big pile of nothing, but it definitely was looks over actual substance. The driving was largely pointless in practical terms, and the shooting mechanics were horribly open to exploits - I could snipe the AI from several hundred yards away with a tommygun. The first bullet would hit dead centre every damn time. Sorry, that's just wrong - one of the biggest kicks to the mean bean machine in terms of shattering my suspension of disbelief in any game I've ever played.

Too easy (apart from the odd horrible difficulty spike caused by poorly thought out game mechanics), badly paced, the story was just a long string of homages to this or that movie strung together by nothing very much...

...but God damn it looked gorgeous, it was a beautifully designed city even if most of it served no actual purpose, and even if it was derivative of everything from The Godfather to The Untouchables it did it so fucking well in terms of sheer cinematic atmosphere it was difficult not to be won over. Oh, yes, and one of the best soundtracks to a videogame ever released (Django, yes, but the score wasn't too bad either).

So yeah. Not as amazing as some make out, heavily flawed, but a whole lot of fun to play for such an old title. Worth picking up cheap, that's for sure.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dunno about a big pile of nothing, but it definitely was looks over actual substance. The driving was largely pointless in practical terms, and the shooting mechanics were horribly open to exploits - I could snipe the AI from several hundred yards away with a tommygun. The first bullet would hit dead centre every damn time. Sorry, that's just wrong - one of the biggest kicks to the mean bean machine in terms of shattering my suspension of disbelief in any game I've ever played.

Um, why exactly wouldn't that be accurate? I've never shot a tommygun, or any automatic weapon for that matter, but I would imagine if you did single shots, it would be fairly accurate as it's still a rifle. Just curious.
    If anyone has a hankering for a mafia game, the godfather game was actually really good

I never know if you're joking or not, but I'm going to agree with you. It had it's problems, but I had a lot of fun with it. If you plan on 100%-ing it, for the love of God get all your executions before you take out the last family. There's 2 you can't get through the thugs in the tunnels (no scenery to do it with), and I didn't find that out until it was too late.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dunno about a big pile of nothing, but it definitely was looks over actual substance. The driving was largely pointless in practical terms, and the shooting mechanics were horribly open to exploits - I could snipe the AI from several hundred yards away with a tommygun.
    So don't exploit them?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's like in the Baldur's Gate games - they let you arrange your inventory yourself, and then they make the items COLOURED. That means you spend all your damn time arranging your inventory so it's colour-coordinated and none of the items clash with their neighbours. Lousy game.

Toast on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Toast wrote: »
    It's like in the Baldur's Gate games - they let you arrange your inventory yourself, and then they make the items COLOURED. That means you spend all your damn time arranging your inventory so it's colour-coordinated and none of the items clash with their neighbours. Lousy game.

...what

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Dunno about a big pile of nothing, but it definitely was looks over actual substance. The driving was largely pointless in practical terms, and the shooting mechanics were horribly open to exploits - I could snipe the AI from several hundred yards away with a tommygun.
    So don't exploit them?

Sorry, not a fan of the whole "well, you don't have to exploit the developers' laziness" argument. If it shouldn't be in there, don't put it in there. Don't use some people's love of banging their heads against a brick wall as an excuse to save yourself some work.

...although in this instance, seriously, do correct me if I'm wrong; I just always thought the Thompson was extremely short-ranged and wildly inaccurate. It was the mission down at the docks, with all those guards up on the towers - I'd just stand way out of their detection range and slowly shoot them, one bullet at a time, pretty much never missing. It just seemed so horribly unlike anything anyone would ever be able to do in real life I couldn't quite get it out of my head.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)