As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virtual Console/WiiWare Secret Santa 2011: DONE! Any tips/thoughs for next year?

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Updated my games!

There's a few missing: Mega Man 2, Kid Icarus, Bubble Bobble, more I'm sure.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    PM received. I'll likely be picking up a Wii Points Card on Friday due to it being payday, so my gifts will likely go out that night or sometime on the 24th.

Same.

That sounds like a fun way of doing it! I'm going to try for the night of Christmas Eve.

So my list is fully updated and I added everyone who is participating.

Add me santee so I can send you your gifts today!!!!!

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    My gifts have been sent.

Let the chirstmas giving............begin.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    My gifts have been sent.

Psssst, he's talking about me.

I go grab a drink from the kitchen, and I come back to see my Wii's light shining with Chrono Trigger and Gunstar Heroes! Chrono Trigger came at the perfect time. I'm almost done with FF6, and that's one of my other nostalgic SNES RPGs. I played Gunstar Heroes in the past but I've never actually owned it. I love it though!

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote:
    My gifts have been sent.

Psssst, he's talking about me.

I go grab a drink from the kitchen, and I come back to see my Wii's light shining with Chrono Trigger and Gunstar Heroes! Chrono Trigger came at the perfect time. I'm almost done with FF6, and that's one of my other nostalgic SNES RPGs. I played Gunstar Heroes in the past but I've never actually owned it. I love it though!

Wow, that was quick, glad you enjoyed! Now it's my turn...

And they're off!

Just received Balloon Fight and King of the Monsters from Grove! Balloon Fight, for the man who has everything. I really like that game, so I'm surprised I didn't get it until now. King of the Monsters I used to see on Nick Arcade alllll the time, definintely worth a shot, it looks like fun. Christmas cheer is awesome!

Just received Balloon Fight and King of the Monsters from Grove! Balloon Fight, for the man who has everything. I really like that game, so I'm surprised I didn't get it until now. King of the Monsters I used to see on Nick Arcade alllll the time, definintely worth a shot, it looks like fun. Christmas cheer is awesome!

Awesome, glad you got em!

Balloon Fight is one of my favorite games of all time. I was glad you didn't have it yet, because you have everything.

I remember King of the Monsters being fun...but I was also 8 so...it's worth a shot!

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    I just sent mine off too. Gift #2 is running a little late because I accidentally canceled the purchase after I got everything typed out.

soempty.jpg
    Oh and Santa, I leave very early on the 24th and won't be back till Jan 3. So if you send me gifts after that I can't confirm till the 3rd. Might want to send BTP a message!

• grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    AaronKI wrote:
    I just sent mine off too. Gift #2 is running a little late because I accidentally canceled the purchase after I got everything typed out.
    just got my gifts thanks AaronKI I always wanted one of the shinobi games was going to send out my gifts today but unfortunately it looks like my santie hasn't added me yet number of people haven't so every one please finish registering everyone to your friends list
    oh and btp can you add me to this years list. could be why I was missed

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    ...looks like I missed someone. I just went off of the top page instead of looking through the entire thread...oops

wonder who it could be...

grim123 wrote:
    AaronKI wrote:
    just got my gifts thanks AaronKI I always wanted one of the shinobi games was going to send out my gifts today but unfortunately it looks like my santie hasn't added me yet number of people haven't so every one please finish registering everyone to your friends list

Sorry about Rondo of Blood. :( As I was buying it, the thought crossed my mind that you might have played the PSP version.. but I decided that the chances were slim and finished the purchase.

soempty.jpg
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    grim123 wrote:

Ack! How did I miss that as I was PM'ing everyone? NOW you're in the OP. Everyone add grim!

And with Grove reminding me of his little dilemma of leaving early on the 24th, I've PM'ed your Santa again to remind him as well.

Hopefully that ties up all these loose ends.

While I'm here, I've got a request of everyone who ever signed up for any of the years I've been running this, regardless if they were able to participate or not (e.g. Willeth this year). Since the WiiU will likely be out by this time next year, and I will likely not have one unless I win one as a prize in a contest or something, someone else who will be more familiar with how the WiiU works will likely have to take over this thread. If you could leave some feedback/comments about what can be improved/what is already good about this whole thing, it would be a good reference to have for whoever ends up making next year's thread.

Thanks, and keep giving those gifts!

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    SO!

From now until some arbitrary point on Boxing Day (that's Monday) I will be taking recommendations on what to buy myself as a gift with these thousand points. Whatever games get the most votes, I'll get. Feel free to recommend as many or as few as you like right here (or if it clutters the thread, via PM).

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    What have you played already Willeth??

Also on lunch I'm going to get a Wii Points card and gift the hell out of my Santee.

So wait, Willeth didn't get a Santa? Odd numbers?

Grove wrote:

Willeth is in the UK, and no one else in the UK on this board signed up this year. Same thing with me but Canada. Gifting is region locked by country.

My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    BTP wrote:
    Grove wrote:

Willeth is in the UK, and no one else in the UK on this board signed up this year. Same thing with me but Canada. Gifting is region locked by country.

Oh ok damn. I had some points left over, was gonna gift him something.

SENT!

urahonky wrote:
    SENT!

Wooo GIFT GET!!!!!

Thank you good sir! It is to my ever lasting shame that I never played Majora's Mask...well it was.

Thanks so much! So much Zelda to play now with Skyward Sword.

Uragoodman Urahonky!

Grove wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    SENT!

Wooo GIFT GET!!!!!

Thank you good sir! It is to my ever lasting shame that I never played Majora's Mask...well it was.

Uragoodman Urahonky!

No problem! You should have another one! I sent two for sure! :)

urahonky wrote:
    Grove wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    SENT!

Wooo GIFT GET!!!!!

Uragoodman Urahonky!

No problem! You should have another one! I sent two for sure! :)

You're a mad man!

Downloading Majora's so I can't check...

OH DAMN MEGA MAN X!!!!! I love that series. How on earth did I not know it was on VC?

You are too kind good sir, too kind!

Grove wrote:
    OH DAMN MEGA MAN X!!!!! I love that series. How on earth did I not know it was on VC?

You are too kind good sir, too kind!

Just came out recently! :) Hope you have a happy holiday!!

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Well, I was gonna get this started tomorrow but I guess since everyone else is doing it I'll get on it as well.
    BTP wrote:
    Grove wrote:

BTP, you have Super Mario Kart, by any chance?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    So in the spirit of giving, I have 500 points left over and wanted to gift someone one of my top 5 games of all time: Mega Man II. Are any of the participants here interested?

Grove wrote:
    So in the spirit of giving, I have 500 points left over and wanted to gift someone one of my top 5 games of all time: Mega Man II. Are any of the participants here interested?

I'm not, partially because I already have it, but I'd say see who's interested and do a "closest number" game to see who gets it.

FU7kFbw.png
    Grove wrote:

I'm not, partially because I already have it, but I'd say see who's interested and do a "closest number" game to see who gets it.

Absolutely, I am leaving in 12 hours so it may just come to first come first serve. But if anyone's interested just post. I'll send it out by midnight Cali time. If there's multiple people, I'll flip a coin.

Alright, gifts are heading their way through the digital santa tubes as we speak.

FU7kFbw.png
    Also, everybody send me their Miis via the Mii Channel!

FU7kFbw.png
    Holy crap. MZ was my Santa for the second year in a row and he dropped a massive import bomb on me. Give me a bit to throw together a proper gift post. :D

soempty.jpg
    AaronKI wrote:
    Holy crap. MZ was my Santa for the second year in a row and he dropped a massive import bomb on me. Give me a bit to throw together a proper gift post. :D

Hah, yeah I kept it to a theme this time around, did my best to spread out the genres. (There's a lot of SHMUPS in the Import section.)

FU7kFbw.png
    edited December 2011
    I came home from the Christmas gathering for my dad's side of the family in good spirits to find the following message on my wii: "Merry Christmas, AaronKI! MaximumZero here to give your digital stocking a good 'ol stuffing."

And stuffed it was! MZ has lavished me with a digital buffet of the finest imports the virtual console has to offer.

Ufouria: The Saga (NES)
    VCSS11_01_Ufouria1.pngVCSS11_02_Ufouria2.png

"This is supposedly the best Metroid clone ever made not called Castlevania."

Excellent. I heard a bit about this game back when the Sunsoft VC announcement came but I had no idea it was a Metroid clone. This game looks like it will be a nice change of pace compared to yearly SoTN clones. I have no idea what is going on in that screenshot up there, but it looks amazing.

DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure (SNES)
    VCSS11_03_DoReMi1.pngVCSS11_04_DoReMi2.png

MaximumZero... how did you know that I was the only person on the planet who loves Milon's Secret Castle?

Pulseman (Sega Genesis)
    VCSS11_05_Pulseman1.gifVCSS11_06_Pulseman2.gif

"This game was developed by Game Freak. And then they were never heard from again. Ever."

Sadly, he's right. Barely anyone played Drill Dozer. :( Anyway, I've been wanting to play this for quite a while. Partially because it looks fun, but also because Pulseman was the inspiration for my favorite pokemon of all time: Rotom.

Cho Aniki (TG16)
    VCSS11_07_ChoAniki1.pngVCSS11_08_ChoAniki2.png

"Here's a game I'm sure you wouldn't have bought yourself. Enjoy!"

Haha, yup. Probably not for the reasons you're thinking, though. I briefly had the chance to play this game before and it is insanely hard. One hit deaths that stick you back at the beginning of the level hard. Hopefully playing Jamestown on the PC has prepared me. (Sidenote: I've been tempted to buy the PS1 and PSP Cho Aniki games on PSN before. I love batcrap crazy games, even if they involve greased up musclemen. :P)

I don't know if you're really good at judging tastes or if it was luck, but these were all fantastic choices related to interests I already had. Thanks again, maximumzero!

Edit: Also, Mii sent!

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    Well, I was gonna get this started tomorrow but I guess since everyone else is doing it I'll get on it as well.
    BTP wrote:
    Grove wrote:

When I started getting into the Virtual Console, I had one simple rule: I would not buy a game on VC that I already own, be it the actual SNES cartridge or a port to another system or whatever. However, there was one game that would be an absolute guaranteed exception to this rule, and that game is Super Mario Kart. There is no way I would NOT have that game.

I've since got rid of the rule. ;-)

AaronKI wrote:

Aw, man, I tried to avoid that to keep things interesting. I even checked what PM's I had from last year and everything! But to be fair, I did decide Santa/Santee by dice roll, and this only shows another reason why I have everyone add everyone else in the OP list: It makes things easier with each passing year! :D

My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    edited December 2011
    BTP wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Grove wrote:

When I started getting into the Virtual Console, I had one simple rule: I would not buy a game on VC that I already own, be it the actual SNES cartridge or a port to another system or whatever. However, there was one game that would be an absolute guaranteed exception to this rule, and that game is Super Mario Kart. There is no way I would NOT have that game.

Shoot, I was gonna redeem some Club Nintendo coins and give you the code to see if it worked.

Well, want Xevious 3D Classics or Mario vs. DK March of the Minis then?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited December 2011
    BTP wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Grove wrote:

Shoot, I was gonna redeem some Club Nintendo coins and give you the code to see if it worked.

That's an interesting idea, but I wonder if that would cause a problem and Nintendo would be all "Hey, the download history on the Wii your trying to use the code on doesn't match your Club Nintendo account at all! WTF?"

Of course, I could be wrong due to my not knowing how Club Nintendo works.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    AaronKI wrote:
    I came home from the Christmas gathering for my dad's side of the family in good spirits to find the following message on my wii: "Merry Christmas, AaronKI! MaximumZero here to give your digital stocking a good 'ol stuffing."

And stuffed it was! MZ has lavished me with a digital buffet of the finest imports the virtual console has to offer.
    I don't know if you're really good at judging tastes or if it was luck, but these were all fantastic choices related to interests I already had. Thanks again, maximumzero!

Edit: Also, Mii sent!

Complete luck, to be honest. I did no research whatsoever and just went with what I thought you wouldn't have had and likely wouldn't have bought yourself.

FU7kFbw.png