As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Visual Novels] Chaos;Head, Anonymous;Code, and Holy Night incoming! (more semicolons)

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I'm still holding out hope for ToHeart 2. I mean, I've bought it twice already (PC and PS2), but it's not exactly fun to play a game with heavy reading with four dictionaries open on your desk. It would probably take more than translation work, of course; the movies don't work in any version of Windows past XP unless there's a patch I haven't been able to find.

I'd also kind of like Itadaki Jangarian R, but I think Studio Miris went out of business too many years ago for anyone to care.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to the next Corpse Party. Whenever that is.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    What do you all think of 428: The Shibuya Blockade?

250px-428cover.jpg

Considering getting the PS3 version.

Here's screens!
    zQRuM9l.jpg
    bydIMmf.jpg
    85aQzgV.jpg
    ahWnCJo.jpg
    jvqKBME.jpg
    (WTF)

And some video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiVnqOZ6Ydo
    (Opening )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayvv7gd1oq8
    (A JP Playthrough, part 11)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Combination VN and Live Action? Looks spiffy as fuck.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And more localization news. Tokyo Babel and The Shadows of Pygmalion are being localized by MangaGamer, two heavy story urban fantasy visual novels by propeller. As well as the Princess Evangile sequel and Kindred Spirits, a fun sounding yuri comedy VN about a girl haunted by a ghost couple that can't pass on until 'they find out how girls make love'.

I know nothing of the games that Sekai Project has announced but they include a yuri game, a yaoi magical boy game (lol?), and the censored all-ages version of the dating sim Tenshin Ranman. As well as the sequels fault milestone two and Nekopara Vol. 0.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    *bursts into thread* A yaoi game you say :D ?
    I could do without the magical girl part (because the "jokes" when guys have to look girlie are always, ALWAYS the same, and I'm kinda eeeeeeh about magical girl stories in general) but it still looks cute. I like the art style.

EDIT- Okay, and after watching the preview video I am even more intrigued. Looks adorbs~

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ordered 428. Should get it in a few weeks according to Amazon. Looking forward to it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Oh hey, the Psycho Pass VN is getting localized too!

Gaaaaah, now I kinda wanna get an XBone because it's yet another exclusive. :(

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    Suriko wrote: »

Is this real life?

Every yuri VN is getting translated all of a sudden. I can't even.

Well all kinds of yaoi ones have been, I guess they finally decided to balance the scales.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Man. The fact that FrontWing went around Sekai Project and released the Magial Idol Michiru spinoff to Grisaia, basically on their own makes me sad.

1. It doesn't have the same translation team, meaning there's no consistency, which is notable for all the jargon and how hard the series is to translate. FrontWing hired a side translator without Sekai's input. It's of notably lower quality.
    2. It's meant to be played after the 2nd and 3rd games in the series as it has character spoilers and references to them.

The more I read about the various FrontWing drama in the project the more they seem like they're annoying to work with, from going aroud translators and releasing things out of order, to not giving translators needed files, to delaying the 18+ versions, to upping the initial Kickstarter goal to get more money from licensing fees when the budget didn't call for it. Though most of this drama is only one side of the argument so...

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Speaking of yuri...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/386990/

Asphyxia just hit Steam today.

Seems cute.
    ss_a54b9cce57b3f931cc64d1447052a5fedd492503.600x338.jpg?t=1438725378

Also, I got 428 in today! :D Really psyched, impressions later.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    That's a really cute art style, and hey, for $5 I'll give it a try.

• Options
    I am so glad that Degica isn't fucking arround with their fans and dangling carrots, like Sekai Project did with the Grisaia kickstarter and all their fucking bullshit. I'm looking forward to the Muv Luv campaign because a) this is the highest quality Visual Novel series to be brought west to date if sucessful b) the campaign is actually including new professionally done remastered versions with updated CGs, new CGs, new music and the like depending on how much it'll be funded instead of just a straight translation, actually giving a reason to fund it instead of just playing fan translated versions.

And yeah, I give them props for this.

"[The Uncensored Version] will not be a part of the Kickstarter campaign [or official Steam release] directly because we have to abide by their rules, however we will have a patch (already officially approved by ixtl) which can be downloaded from our website (or any means possible), and can alter the versions back and forth, and will work 100% for both physical and digital copies. At least that's the idea we have so far. We hope for your understanding, it's the best we can do to support the regular, uncut edition."

Also, yay Beta plushies, for when you want to hug and snuggle with your destroyer of worlds.

• Options
    I never did give those 428 impressions...

It's like no other VN I've ever played, that's for sure. Great music and style. Love how they made every character and scene stand out. It's all live action stills, but very impressively done.

Sadly the language barrier is brutal. Branching paths and switching perspectives are a massive part of the game, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to proceed past the second hour.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    CM-POG6UYAA9yyp.jpg:large

COhkCnNWEAE3xIL.png:large

Killing the devil is easy—that’s why you make teens do it. But some bad kids can’t even get that right, and that’s what the summer scouts are for; troubled teens who need discipline and jesus can go off in the woods and fight the devil and maybe die without bothering anyone. Meangirl Neptune, tomboy Jupiter, and shy Venus are the worst of the worst, 3 underachievers among underachievers sent off to a cabin in the woods for 12 hours waiting for the actual literal devil to hurry up and show himself so they can kill him and go home.

WE KNOW THE DEVIL is a Group Relationship Horror visual novel with three protagonists, set in a surreal midwestern christian summer camp with collage art style and a looming sense of horror. There’s no main character; instead, you choose which possible pairing of our three protagonists to follow as they hang out, drinking illegally, play truth or dare, and wait for an ominous and horrifying evil to appear.

GAME FEATURES
    3 Endings (and a hidden fourth ending), of as many possible OTP combinations as you could desire!
    Dynamic Crying and Dying Action™
    Explore three different relationships with interpersonal development and intense processing
    Teens being mean to each other
    The eventual coming of the actual literal devil (???????)

So some cool twitter people made a surrealist horror VN called We Know The Devil that I feel like pimping for a bit. It's pretty fucking nice so far, with an interesting, washed out art style and creepy mood music. It's browser based with account wide saves, so you can play on pretty much any mobile device with a decent browser as well.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Gives me a Blair Witch vibe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Steins;Gate 0's cover:
    55F7B7744A5AC70009

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I love the concept of Steins;Gate 0 and how it ties into the origional so much. But it pains me I won't be able to play it in English for ages.

• Options
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Corpse Party: Blood Drive is out in NA today. Somebody else play it and let me know if it's comparable to the original in terms of scariness and quality because I'm a baby.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Import impressions were glowing. About as good as the original, worlds better than Book of Shadows.

Also, have a riddle.

Bodies%20Hanging.png
    The words below the numbers describe the bodies

The numbers below the words represent letters of the alphabet

The numbers spell out what the words below might reference
    if one of those words were changed by one letter

With that change the words would describe only one of the bodies

Do not drop that body

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Curious: Is everyone hyped as fuck for the Muv-Love trilogy coming west + side stories (probably), complete with retouches, brand new cgs, better music, and the works?

If you're not, why the heck aren't you?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Because since you didn't post about it until now no one here knows what it is? :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Because I'm lazy, I'll just crosspost something I posted to the Vita thread earlier. The kickstarter has good info, but I can't link to it. As does the summary of the series and individual entries in the TV Tropes page (the summaries don't contain spoilers), which I also won't direct link.
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Muv-Luv has broken 500k easily with 32days left to go and is coming to the Vita. Now, I still recommend getting the games on PC so you can apply the free uncensored/content restored patch they're going to put out for the games, but hey, the options there if you want to play the 'clean' version.

Is this really the "best visual novel" of all time or whatever it is they have on there?

Depends. It's up there. It's certainly the 'highest profile' Visual Novel to be localized to date, and also the best managed and open Visual Novel Kickstarter by far so far. The main series is a trilogy of games meant to be played in order.

Muv-Luv Extra: The series starts with a semi-parody harem visual novel that establishes all girls' characters as well as your MC as the 'dense harem lead'. It jumps fully into every cliche and trope. The main heroines are hist childhood frined and the mysterious new girl who invades his life and proceeds to act like his soulmate, queuing the childhood friend to jet jellos and start the romance-off completion. Extra isn't anything hugely special by itself, but it's important to establish the characters and relationships for what comes next. Because, once you finish the main two Heroine routes, you unlock the second Visual Novel...

Muv-Luv Unlimited: Your MC wakes up in a post apocalyptic world where mandkind is on the break of destruction fighting with giant mecha against the destructive aliens known as the BETA. He gets captured and forcibly conscripted into military and is shocked to find out there's an alternate reality version of every main girl he knows in the military... except for his childhood friend.

Your MC is first overjoyed to see real-life mecha but soon realizes that this is war for our very survival and war is hell. The plot shows what happens to dense, optimistic, love will show us the way, 'anime protagonists' in a real war zone as bat shit happens. This is where the plot starts kicking into high gear, and more plot threads are opened to be tapped into in the future.

Muv-Luv Alternative: This is the highly acclaimed VN, and the end of the trilogy. Your MC once again wakes up in a different version of the previous post-apocalyptic world, with all his knowledge from the past two games, and becomes determined to not let the horrible shit that happened in Unlimited happen again. He's in over his head. Now mentally tougher, more wordy, and fit he proceeds through the ranks and works on adjusting the timeline and succeeds at his goal... and ends up with a even harder and darker challenge than before.

The story started from sugary comedic sweet harem antics in Extra and proceeds down the road until it ends up a most horribly dark, political, and deadly story in the vein of a George R.R. Martin or Gen Urobuchi style novel where anyone can die, the stakes can't be higher, characters have to fight against both death and ptsd, and things are bloody and not pretty. It's not a feel-good story and if you want one stay far the fuck away. It's a thrill ride.

It's literally the highest profile VN series to come west to date, with the most upfront and best managed kickstarter for a visual novel to date too. And it's not just a localization: It's localization of improved versions with reworked art, music, and CG assets. They're also gonna release free content restore + uncensor patches for the PC versions at launch.

But basically, this is one of those VN series that's not necessarily a happy story (hahahahahahahahahaha), but it's so well written that you can't turn away.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Curious: Is everyone hyped as fuck for the Muv-Love trilogy coming west + side stories (probably), complete with retouches, brand new cgs, better music, and the works?

If you're not, why the heck aren't you?

Because there's no release date (last I checked).

• Options
    More official localization! Two more Key games.

Little Busters (woo~) and Tomoyo After: It’s a Wonderful Life (the Clannad alternate stand-alone route/after story with the superior girl) are getting released by VisualArts, who are licensing the fan-translations and editing/re-translating/touching them up for the official release.

For those that don't know what Key is known for.... they're known for sucker-punches to the heart.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Bad news and good news.

Bad News? Sekai Project os releasing G-Senjou no Maou in 16:9 by crudely cropping the origional artwork and cutting out huge swathes of details. Way to unsell me on buying an official release by butchering a game's art.

And they're locking and deleting Steam threads informing people of this.

Good bews?

Muv-Luv Kickstarter made $1,255,444, 1mil over the starting goal. Enianced and updated releases of the origional game with new CGs, more orechastrated music, uncensored/content restore patch for the PC versions, and Android/Vita ports. The localization of the two side games. A translation of the entire codex database into English, which is also releasing as a 400-500 page hardcover artbook artbook. And thank you rewards like that physical codex and a 'free' Figma included in certain backer tiers.

Oh, and the game's getting dub'd as well (with dual audio also being an option). The origional game had some Engrish tjey want to fix up in the Japanese version anyways. :D

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    (X-posting form PSN thread).
    In interesting news, the PS3 version of Eiyuu Senki: World Conquest is out for PAL regions for £32.99 (UK) / €39.99 (Europe) / Something (Australia/NZ) and doesn't even yet have a release date for North America other than it's 'coming'.

What is it? It's a world gameplay heavy visual novel conquest strategy game (that plays somewhat similar to the fantastic Sengoku Rance) where your hero units are female and genderbent to female cute versions of various worldwide historical characters from idol singer King Arthur to Iskandar the Great to Billy the Kid to Ishikawa Goemon to Francis Drake to etc, etc.

We'll probably never get the PC version with more content localized outside of a fan translation maybe sometime in the future because Tenko isn't a Western friendly company. The reason we're getting this PS3 version is Mages. (5pb.) owns the rights to the port. You might be familiar with them because of Steins;Gate, etc. and the Corpse Party games. They ported this game to PS3. Fruitbat Facotory wanted to backport this version to PC but couldn't because of licensing reasons. Vita version didn't exist when they first licensed the game but they're considering it depending on the sales of the PS3 version.

English Website
    A clip of gameplay (in Japanese).

Whelp. I might create that UK PSN. I don't know if I can wait for a NA release date that hasn't even been announced yet.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Given the... content of the original game, it still amazes me that it was brought over. In any form.

It's an alright game in its own right though, and amusing in a (very) silly way. Oyari's art is always nice, too.

There's a sort-of sequel in Eiyusenki Gold, which has some more gameplay mechanics and some new historical figures, but as far as I know there's no talks of that being licensed.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Suriko wrote: »
    There's a sort-of sequel in Eiyusenki Gold, which has some more gameplay mechanics and some new historical figures, but as far as I know there's no talks of that being licensed.

Yeah, as above. Tenko seems very inward-Japanese eccentric while Mages./5pb. are trying to expand worldwide. We're likely to never see Gold west outside of a fan translation (there already is one for the MENUS, but nothing for the story/dialog/everything else).

I'm creating a UK account for this right now percisely because it plays similar to Sengoku Rance... a game I was hooked on partially for the porn and ended up playing a couple hundereds of hours into through every ending and multiple alternate game modes because of how damn enjoyable the gameplay of that game was. And I've already played some of the PC version of Eiyuu Senkei in Japanese (the above menu patch) to try it out and I know I'll enjoy it.

So yeah... creating UK account right now. >_>
    Edit: PSN Account Created. £35 UK PSN card digitally imported (thank you Play Asia for offering so many countries digital codes). Game bought. Downloading. I fucking love PSN importing. :D

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    cj iwakura wrote: »

WANT

the anime adaptation

I specifically want the anime adaptation

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Thanks to how much easier subtitles on anime are than translating a full game, we'll see the anime for Steins;Gate 0 far before we get the game over here I bet.

• Options
    Clannad coming out Nov 23 on Steam: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/13/clannads-english-version-arrives-on-steam-on-november-23rd/

Last I checked this was one of the "must play" VNs, so....

• Options
    It's Key, so have tissues.

• Options
    It's Key, so have tissues.

If I didn't know that Clannad was an allegedly emotional experience, this totally could have been interpreted differently.

• Options
    Most Key games are all-ages.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.2 Watanagashi hit Steam the other day. Buy it! Or don't.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Since Steins;Gate just went on sale for $16 this last weekend, I went ahead and picked it up.

I've done a lot of studying time travel theory, so it's cool to see that they really did their homework. It's basically, "Here are the widely-accepted theories of time travel, yes, we understand them. Now watch me wave my hand; now look at this phone and this microwave."

I wonder how many people reading this VN actually understand all the physics discussed, but regardless, I appreciate that they took the time to try and explain them.

It's slow to start, but I think I'm getting to the good stuff.
    Luka just won 5,000 yen in the lottery.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Corpse Party: Blood Drive is out in NA today. Somebody else play it and let me know if it's comparable to the original in terms of scariness and quality because I'm a baby.

It's way too late for me to reply to this, and since you hang out in the Vita thread, you probably already know my feelings on this game but.... maybe my following words can save others.

Blood Drive is nothing in terms of scariness or quality of the original game (plural if you include the pc versions.) Buggy as hell. loading times for EVERYTHING in the menus, and generally not scary, or even that interesting. sometimes you might run into a trap that'll startle you, but not actually scare.

You know, all those times in the first game/book of shadows, you thought, "Well. that brief moment was a little fetishy/stupid but eh! at least it's not too prevalent!" Blood Drive is pretty much all that dumb/fetish stuff, just with blood on screen sometimes as opposed to text. woo.
    The story becomes a "save the WORLD" bad-rpg story as it goes along, as opposed to a the personal little ghost/vignettes of the original.
    Also, pretty much all the characters have apparently suffered lobotomies. This is most evident with Ayumi who is pretty much just a flanderdized version of herself now.

The game is unintentionally funny a lot, so I'll give it that. And one of the extra chapters involving
    Morishige
    is pretty interesting, and reminiscent of the stuff from the first game.

And then there's an extra chapter that's about five minutes long about a girl being naked and getting a massage.

Yep.

My point is, very much not worth full price. But on the bright side it makes me appreciate how atmospheric and complete the story of the first game was.

sig.gif