As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Planes, Trains and [chat]mobiles

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    so... the hiatus has ended but there is nothing new except the message "the hiatus has ended"

DISAPPOINTED

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I don't ignore rules that I think are stupid.

But I'll break them if the risk/benefit analysis works out

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    We must talk more about meeting, but I have to sleep. Not much sleep last night.

In other news, Star Trek Fleet Captains is an awesome and very very nerdy boardgame! Played it today and had immense fun!

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh have you seen the stuff about Occupy Toronto I have been posting?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Man the list of stuff that a cop will find reason to ticket/arrest you for in the US encompasses all the stuff that would get a middle school bully to give a kid an indian burn.

And generally, I don't even really blame the police for this. A lot of infractions, like in Bowen's case, are used as revenue generating means for the state. Cops are rewarded for handing out infractions by the towns and state for this too. So it gives the cops incentive not to give people breaks because it brings in more money for them, for their state and the only person screwed is your average citizen.

In my defense this was the first time I ever owned a car and I didn't know the difference between the inspection sticker and the registration sticker and I thought the inspection was still good for another year until my dad brought it up when he got home that night.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Echo wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Yes, I read it. And I'll say it is hogwash until someone says otherwise.

You read the actual EU abstract? That's what I quoted.

oh, no. It was just similar to the article. Two secs and I will have.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Though this part is rather funny in its stick-up-the-arse bureaucracyness:
    Food/constituent as stated by the applicant
    According to the applicant, “water (chemical formula H2O, MW=18.015), a transparent, odourless and tasteless liquid (melting point: 0°C=273,15 K; boiling point: 100°C=373,15 K). In small quantities colourless, the colour of water in thick layers is of a slight blue hue. Water is generally considered an essential nutrient.”

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Pony wrote:

some of it, yeah

can you send some TPD down to teach our guys how it's done

• Options
    okay, one thing

why is dehydration referred to as a disease

it's just... dehydration

it's like asphyxiation being a disease

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    My brother is super cynical about this supposed Britannic CuteUp, because he inherantly distrusts anyone he meets online.

CuteUp?

whaaaaa?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote:
    BeNarwhal wrote:
    If anyone is good with food or science please look on the cooking thread.

So it's just a dry rub, yeah? Is it just for 24-48 hours? Fridge is at 4°C (40°F) or cooler?

Edit: Was the bird fresh or frozen? When did you get it? was it in the freezer first before going into the fridge?

Fresh. Picked it up late Monday. The recipe says for four days but that is scary. Fridge is at 40 but maybe the reading is inaccurate. I will double check.

Hmm, well you gain points from it never being frozen. Do make sure it's 40 or below, though to be honest the way we cook these birds, you rarely have too much to worry about (within reason). What colour is the discoloration?

It's got a dark red bloody sort of tint. Only the drumsticks and wing tips.

I'm inclined to believe it's just the marrow moving around and reacting to being exposed to the air now (I assume the bird was bagged in some way before). If it's just the tips and is only showing on skin near the bone (i.e. isn't spreading across the skin too much), you'll be fine.

Like I said, as long as that fridge is keeping that bird cool enough, it may change colour a little bit and look a little unappetizing before it goes in to the oven, but the way we cook turkey leaves you with very little to worry about.

Edit: If you want, check inside the cavity too. As long as it's all white/pink, and there's not too much dark red or, worse, grey going on in there, you're fine.

Really, grey is the only thing you need to concern yourself with, generally.

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    Though this part is rather funny in its stick-up-the-arse bureaucracyness:
    Food/constituent as stated by the applicant
    According to the applicant, “water (chemical formula H2O, MW=18.015), a transparent, odourless and tasteless liquid (melting point: 0°C=273,15 K; boiling point: 100°C=373,15 K). In small quantities colourless, the colour of water in thick layers is of a slight blue hue. Water is generally considered an essential nutrient.”

on the one hand, the kind of people who have jobs like this are the kind of utterly dreary people I would loathe to talk with at a party, on the other hand, nice to know that you can't sell your radium juice as water

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    hi [chat]

i'm pretty anxious, i got a meeting on campus today

thinking about popping an ativan.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Yes, I read it. And I'll say it is hogwash until someone says otherwise.

You read the actual EU abstract? That's what I quoted.

Thing is, whenever I saw a claim like "drinking water prevents dehydration", I never defined it as a disease. If I'm reading it right that's what they say the water sellers are saying.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    so... the hiatus has ended but there is nothing new except the message "the hiatus has ended"

DISAPPOINTED

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11232011

Sleuth

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Pony wrote:

some of it, yeah

yeah seriously what the hell

I want to find a good quality not-cellphone image of the cops giving out hot dogs and coffee to protesters to make a "MEANWHILE, IN CANADA..." image

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Due we should build a giant statue to my awesomeness in minecraft

• Options
    The abstract (PDF)

And here's someone making some sense of it all:
    It seems what they are saying is that dehydration, when it is a “disease”, is cause by a clinical condition, and drinking water may not work. For example, if someone has terrible diarrhea and is losing significant amounts of water, drinking water will not do the trick. People can die of dysentery even when they drink a lot of water, because they are secreting water through their bowels. You need intravenous hydration to treat severe dysentery, and you need to treat the underlying condition (or at least give IV hydration until it runs its course).

So maybe – maybe – the EFSA decision is the result of the fact that they did not want to allow a blanket statement that could be applied to conditions where the claim is not true, like dysentery. I don’t know, because they did not explain their decision at all in the actual document. They therefore opened themselves up to legitimate ridicule.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:
    My brother is super cynical about this supposed Britannic CuteUp, because he inherantly distrusts anyone he meets online.

CuteUp?

whaaaaa?

There are a lot of variances, such as whether Evilbob has sent him on his way yet, but there is a nonzero chance at this time that I shall be the one with the honour of having Cutethulhu around for Christmas. The significance of this is that on Boxing day I fly over to Manchester to visit my sister, so I thought bringing him with me for a handoff rather than posting him so close to New Years and run the risk of him sitting in a cold office for New Years might be a good idea.

So instead of a meetup, it's a CuteUp.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    hi [chat]

i'm pretty anxious, i got a meeting on campus today

thinking about popping an ativan.

What kind of meeting?

I had to meet with a professor from my freshman year, just to catch up. He was kind of patronizing and generally disappointing, so I don't think I'm going to ask him for a recommendation even thought he has clout.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote:
    BeNarwhal wrote:
    BeNarwhal wrote:
    If anyone is good with food or science please look on the cooking thread.

So it's just a dry rub, yeah? Is it just for 24-48 hours? Fridge is at 4°C (40°F) or cooler?

Edit: Was the bird fresh or frozen? When did you get it? was it in the freezer first before going into the fridge?

Fresh. Picked it up late Monday. The recipe says for four days but that is scary. Fridge is at 40 but maybe the reading is inaccurate. I will double check.

Hmm, well you gain points from it never being frozen. Do make sure it's 40 or below, though to be honest the way we cook these birds, you rarely have too much to worry about (within reason). What colour is the discoloration?

It's got a dark red bloody sort of tint. Only the drumsticks and wing tips.

I'm inclined to believe it's just the marrow moving around and reacting to being exposed to the air now (I assume the bird was bagged in some way before). If it's just the tips and is only showing on skin near the bone (i.e. isn't spreading across the skin too much), you'll be fine.

Like I said, as long as that fridge is keeping that bird cool enough, it may change colour a little bit and look a little unappetizing before it goes in to the oven, but the way we cook turkey leaves you with very little to worry about.

Edit: If you want, check inside the cavity too. As long as it's all white/pink, and there's not too much dark red or, worse, grey going on in there, you're fine.

Really, grey is the only thing you need to concern yourself with, generally.

Yeah from what I have been reading i should be in the clear. I dropped the temp on the fridge just a bit to calm my worries some. Thanks for the help I was starting to have an anxiety moment.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Pony wrote:

some of it, yeah

I want to find a good quality not-cellphone image of the cops giving out hot dogs and coffee to protesters to make a "MEANWHILE, IN CANADA..." image

MEANWHILE! IN CANADA! Things look great (but in reality it's only a thin veneer of goodness in front of a rotting husk)!

(I'm kidding! i'm kidding! :P)

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Abdhyius wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    Man the list of stuff that a cop will find reason to ticket/arrest you for in the US encompasses all the stuff that would get a middle school bully to give a kid an indian burn.

And generally, I don't even really blame the police for this. A lot of infractions, like in Bowen's case, are used as revenue generating means for the state. Cops are rewarded for handing out infractions by the towns and state for this too. So it gives the cops incentive not to give people breaks because it brings in more money for them, for their state and the only person screwed is your average citizen.

There was a famous Nevada state supreme court case involving this directly - a man contested a ticket he got based on the fact that the speed limit was too low. Basically a speed trap. He managed to get records showing that the road had never been surveyed, as required by law, before the limit was set... and that in fact pretty much none of the surface roads in Nevada have been surveyed properly. The court ruled against him anyway, saying that if they forced municipalities to abide by the law they'd all go broke from the expense of the surveys and the loss of revenue from not trapping speeders anymore.

the speed limit might very well have been too low but that doesn't mean it's not illegal to break speed limits

you can't just ignore rules you think are stupid

unless everybody ignores them, of course

The argument was that the posted limit was invalid because it didn't comply with state law on how to determine posted limits. In the absence of a posted limit, there's an implied one (usually 45mph) on all surface streets, and he was under the implied limit. He basically argued that "The city council just made up this limit out of thin air, which has nothing to do with the law on determining speed limits, a law written specifically to stop local city councils from making their own limits so the cops can write tickets and finance the budget with the revenue". The state court agreed that there was no legal basis for the posted limit, but to rule in his favor would eviscerate municipal budgets statewide and result in so much harm that they couldn't do it.

spool32 on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah hydrating will do jack shit if your dehydration has passed a certain point, you'll need IV fluids, and I think it's more than just saline at that point too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Pony wrote:
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Pony wrote:

some of it, yeah

Wait for an image of a cop hugging a protester/a puppy.

Just wait, it'll happen.

Although if he/she is hugging a protester, make sure their smiles are visible or else the headline will read "Cop attempts to crush man in fascist bearhug."

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Damn you, Santron, why are you facing the wrong way?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    This is the worst baguette. Shame on you boulangerie responsible, you're blacklisted.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    Yeah hydrating will do jack shit if your dehydration has passed a certain point, you'll need IV fluids, and I think it's more than just saline at that point too.

Yeah, I agree with it in the (speculative) context of not being allowed to say "this shit cures dysentery yo", but that blanket statement gets rather silly without that context.

• Options
    Due we should build a giant statue to my awesomeness in minecraft

The new world frightens me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    or sell bottled
    Echo wrote:
    The abstract (PDF)

And here's someone making some sense of it all:
    It seems what they are saying is that dehydration, when it is a “disease”, is cause by a clinical condition, and drinking water may not work. For example, if someone has terrible diarrhea and is losing significant amounts of water, drinking water will not do the trick. People can die of dysentery even when they drink a lot of water, because they are secreting water through their bowels. You need intravenous hydration to treat severe dysentery, and you need to treat the underlying condition (or at least give IV hydration until it runs its course).

So maybe – maybe – the EFSA decision is the result of the fact that they did not want to allow a blanket statement that could be applied to conditions where the claim is not true, like dysentery. I don’t know, because they did not explain their decision at all in the actual document. They therefore opened themselves up to legitimate ridicule.

exaaaactly

also the definition of dehydration they're using is probably "excessive loss of fluid" as opposed to hydration

not the state of not having enough fluids.

the bureaucrats really should get better at explaining their shit though.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Man we ain't callin nobody Michael you better sit down a spell

• Options
    Yeah from what I have been reading i should be in the clear. I dropped the temp on the fridge just a bit to calm my worries some. Thanks for the help I was starting to have an anxiety moment.

We occasionally spit roast an entire pig at work. The entire experience is endlessly stressful, from receiving the pig to when chef starts cutting in to it after cooking it for hours.

I know all about being twitchy about every little change you spot! :)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    jacob would you like to gamble a stamp

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Anything you drink can prevent dehydration. Nothing you can drink will cure it beyond a certain point.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:

There was a famous Nevada state supreme court case involving this directly - a man contested a ticket he got based on the fact that the speed limit was too low. Basically a speed trap. He managed to get records showing that the road had never been surveyed, as required by law, before the limit was set... and that in fact pretty much none of the surface roads in Nevada have been surveyed properly. The court ruled against him anyway, saying that if they forced municipalities to abide by the law they'd all go broke from the expense of the surveys and the loss of revenue from not trapping speeders anymore.

the speed limit might very well have been too low but that doesn't mean it's not illegal to break speed limits

The argument was that the posted limit was invalid because it didn't comply with state law on how to determine posted limits. He basically argued that "The local cops just made up this limit so they could write tickets and finance their budget with the revenue". the state court agreed that there was no legal basis for the posted limit, but to rule in his favor would eviscerate municipal budgets statewide and result in so much harm that they couldn't do it.

Had they ruled in favor of him, it might actually have effected the entire nation. Because then every lawyer in American could cite it as precedent and speed limits as we know it could have become radically different.

Which makes me angry he lost. The court actively went against the right answer in favor of the easy one.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:

CuteUp?

whaaaaa?

There are a lot of variances, such as whether Evilbob has sent him on his way yet, but there is a nonzero chance at this time that I shall be the one with the honour of having Cutethulhu around for Christmas. The significance of this is that on Boxing day I fly over to Manchester to visit my sister, so I thought bringing him with me for a handoff rather than posting him so close to New Years and run the risk of him sitting in a cold office for New Years might be a good idea.

So instead of a meetup, it's a CuteUp.

I had forgot about Cutethulhu, this makes much more sense now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    spool32 wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:

The argument was that the posted limit was invalid because it didn't comply with state law on how to determine posted limits. He basically argued that "The local cops just made up this limit so they could write tickets and finance their budget with the revenue". the state court agreed that there was no legal basis for the posted limit, but to rule in his favor would eviscerate municipal budgets statewide and result in so much harm that they couldn't do it.

the question is does the limit not being proper mean you can break it?

I mean it sounds like it obviously should but the law might not work that way

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I need to find a suitable new home... I started to build really near spawn, but there were a lot of creeper holes around me last night... I think I need to move further.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Anything you drink can prevent dehydration. Nothing you can drink will cure it beyond a certain point.

actually, no. It can't. If you have diarrhea you are being dehydrated. You can drink water to counteract the effects but not prevent the dehydration.

you'll still have your trouser waterfall no matter how much evian you chug.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Sorry couldn't wait to bust out the Christmas AV and sig

This discussion has been closed.