As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Greatest Game that no one ever played

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Has to be

920789_62624_front.jpg

for me. With the original bongos. Not the Wiimote crap.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Zephiran wrote:
    For me, that game has to be either Baten Kaitos on the GC or Mischief Makers on the N64.

Shake shake!

Baten Kaitos was holy shit amazing. The backgrounds were some of the most beautiful in any RPG.

A-Fucking-Greed.

The voicework was hilariously awful, though the joke there is that the worst offending voices are actually explained as a plot twist later on in the game. The music's great, and the card based combat never gets old, and halfway through the game the main character even becomes likeable.

bk07.jpg

Dat candy.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMQ6KcTx0jk

It really hurts me that this is the only video I can find of this game.
    *True Newtonian physics
    *Open world that carried on without you, including the storylines you didn't play through.
    *In game video capture in 1999!

That green dot you see is the marker of the ships vector, the chirp that accompanies the arrows pointing to the targeting retcal indicate the inertial compensators that try to move your ship in the direction you are pointing.

This game was made by a small team and won award and damn it, I wish it had sound quality on par with Freespace but its a damn good game I keep posting on GoG.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSO-7D96MFs

I beat this game multiple times. I danced my enemies to death.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Creatures 3 & Docking Station. Awesome virtual pet/artificial life/sandbox; you take care of these little creatures that have rudimentary genetics and think using tiny little neural nets. I get the impression that the series did best in the UK. Docking Station was an interesting idea -- something between a free expansion, a demo, and a standalone free game. They tried to finance it with what was in retrospect DLC, but I guess it didn't work out.
    I played the hell out of the first Creatures and layer Creatures 3 and Docking Station. I think more than the creatures themselves, I adored the 2d worlds that wrapped around and had tons of bits and bobs to interact with. I found my disk for Creatures 3 a few weeks ago and have been considering giving it a whirl again.
    Another game that was criminally poorly reviewed and didn't do well was Chibi Robo on the Gamecube. Most of the reviews knocked it for being a game primarily about doing chores, which if you played for more than an hour or two you'd know was bullshit and that they had put in 2 hours tops into their reviews. It was a fantastic game with fun gameplay and a quirky, heartwarming story. One of my favorites to this day. The DS sequel wasn't quite as good but had lots of new features that would have been fun to see in a proper sequel, like vehicles and building placement.

Word. C2 and then C3 both did an amazing job of creating simple little ecosystems (I think C2's world is my favorite). I'm still a little bit in love with the series' artwork, which changed a lot over time but always managed to be really endearing. <3

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth

This game had excellent chase sequences. It was a slow-paced FPS where you visit a town and everything seems off. None of the NPCs want to look you in the eye, they all want you to leave, they have gills - and then all hell breaks loose and you've got run run run for your life, locking doors behind you and toppling bookcases. If you see something upsetting, the screen blurs and wobbles, trying to simulate insanity. Good stuff.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    I can't remember the name of the game, but it was an old PC shooter (third person I think) where you controlled infantry, tank or a helicopter. It had some epic orchestral song as it's intro music.

Return Fire. It was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnWGxXyBGZA

Released on the 3D0 and then ported to other things later. The music I believe is Ride of the Valkyries.

My favourite game few people played had a big budget, awesome music by Blue Oyster Cult and Christopher Walken acting by shaking his hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYbAWZ8yPks

It also had a scene where a fat man was sliced open from the inside, and his intestines spilled out. And it's a good FMV game. And the acting was reasonable.

Why did no-one else play this?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Baten Kaitos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HMczCElPaI
    I'd forgotten just how bad the voice acting was.

P.N.03:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbS0v4JWfE
    Damn I wish she'd made it into MvC3.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    256px-Silicon_Valley_Artwork.jpg

'Twas a cool game with one sonofabitch of a bug, if I remember correctly. Cool core mechanic though, and somewhat unique styling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSO-7D96MFs

I beat this game multiple times. I danced my enemies to death.

Man, everyone played the crap outta that back in the day, I remember playing 'Moon Walker' in the playground at school with four different-coloured MJ's. Classic game though, Master System version was nowhere near as good as the Mega Drive copy.

Pretty sure I'm one of the few who discovered the wonderful insanity known as;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDYyMCXp730&amp;feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4dB3Xdz4E

That total Marmite-fest, Space Giraffe! <3

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Speaking of FMV games, Double Switch was fantastic. The mechanics of the game worked well enough and it had R. Lee Ermy, Debbie Harry, and COREY HAIM.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MoistMoist Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_4DhXWdwo

I lost many hours of my life to this game

• Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    Celtic Tales: Balor of The Evil Eye.

It's the game I pulled my avatar from. You can see the exact part in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5uj6p0FhzE&feature=player_detailpage#t=168s

It plays like Uncharted Waters, but on land (or so I've read, I've not played Uncharted Waters). You start with a province or two and some champions, and you have to unite Eire through battle, diplomacy or guile. You can conduct cattle raids, farm, craft weapons or just play hurley until you collapse from exhaustion. There are 2 schools of spell casters, each with 2 elements and a single set of runes that when combined give you different effects. Weather plays a big deal in combat, there is fog and rain. If it is raining and your opponent tries to ford a river to attack you, flood the river! He'll lose a ton of guys and the tile becomes impassable for a few turns. There are 9 different tribes you can start with and I've played through the game multiple times with each leader. I love this game.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Rollcage for the PS1.

And I'll agree with the Tecmo's Deception mention.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    641168-imperium_galactica_large.jpg

190207-250px_uplinkpackshot.jpeg

Those are my two choices.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Uplink, the game I wish I was better at.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mark of Kri

A game that, for reasons beyond me, got totally passed over despite having a very strong art and presentation style, a solid story and very fun gameplay. Kind of a stealth/action hybrid with disney-esque graphics and some of the most brutal stealth take downs and combo kills in a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjEXX9xQP74

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wasn't there an FMV game starring Kirk Cameron?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Great Greed for the Game Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCmXnLzssfo

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Did people play Jet Force Gemini? Because it felt like they didn't.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    TrvstTrvst Registered User regular
    The Club. I absolutely loved The Club.

trvst.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I was dusting the game shelf the other day when I passed over Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It's almost criminal how badly that game tanked. But on the other hand, I can't exactly blame it because the writing was nearly on the wall. An atrocious demo, released into a market that by and large wanted Banjo Threeie, not "Bear and bird go racing with a bucket of legos".

I loved the first two Banjo games, especially Banjo-Tooie. If the controls were a bit better, I'd say that both games were superior to Super Mario 64. The way the worlds were interconnected in Tooie inspired in me a great sense of exploration, and I always wondered if entering a new passageway would take me to an unexplored corner of a previous world.

Nuts and Bolts was an extreme disappointment to me, especially considering that the earliest teaser suggested a new adventure game. I still rented the game; I wanted to give it a chance. I finally decided to pass on buying the game when I found myself attempting to complete a mission involving preventing enemies from approaching a certain point on foot instead of buy building a vehicle.

I loved this game, especially its bizarre sense of humor, and I'd really like to see a sequel that reinstates the evolution aspect that was cut from the first game (for whatever reason). I remember seeing diagrams in Nintendo Power during the game's development showing a fish growing various bizarre parts, such as a screwdriver nose, and I'm disappointed that I never got to play as a juggling unicycle bear.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    I can't remember the name of the game, but it was an old PC shooter (third person I think) where you controlled infantry, tank or a helicopter. It had some epic orchestral song as it's intro music.

Return Fire. It was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnWGxXyBGZA

Released on the 3D0 and then ported to other things later. The music I believe is Ride of the Valkyries.

Holy shit, I just came into this thread to post that one. I played that game with my friends SO MUCH.

It was Capture the Flag in the setting of real war. You had 4 vehicles you could play, and could head back to your base to swap at any time. The APC laid mines, the tank was good for blowing shit up, the chopper was mobile and good for guerrilla tactics and harrassing your enemy's vehicle, and the jeep had tinfoil for armor but was the only thing that could carry the flag.

Also, each vehicle had its own music. Choppers had Ride of the Valkyries as you said, APCs had Hall of the Mountain King, tanks had Mars (by Holst), and jeeps had Flight of the Bumblebees.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The Neverhood (not skullmonkeys, the neverhood) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverhood

I'm sure more then a few played this and its another very underrated game because it was A-Fucking-Maz-ing, pure claymation and had an excellent soundtrack...You don't understand how good the soundtrack was till you play the game so just go and get it and start playing. Also I just want to say Klyka needs to do a LP on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x0GmdVJ_kU

The Neverhood+Klyka = Perfect fit.

Sooooo goooooood

Some spoilers in this video but not really.
    Then theres Machinarium which I'm sure most of us have played but so many people haven't and its a shame because its a killer game. So worth buying.

machinarium-41.jpg

Free online playable demo here:
    http://machinarium.net/demo/

iRevert on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey

Except...that's not entirely true, because lots of people played it. They just seemed to be less of them in the United States. Hell, I bought my copy in Japan.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Haha, mine was mentioned a few posts up as one that was disliked, but I loved Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts to death (I like the N64 platformers, too, but a video game LEGO kit was too cool to pass up)

Banjokazooiecover.jpg

Building a new vehicle for each challenge was great, and I don't know if Rare planned for outside the box thinking or if it was just happenstance, but there's something awesome about winning what is advertised as a car race by building a vertical takeoff airplane and just flying over all of the obstacles and opposing racers.

My other one, I understand why nobody played it - it should have been a GameCube game instead of an Xbox game.

256px-Gbtgntscboxart.jpg

It's another Rare game. I love the cartoon haunted house aesthetic and the simple controls. I don't know if I'm characterizing the respective player bases poorly or not, but even if it didn't set the sales charts on fire I think GbtG would have sold better on the GCN.

Poor Rare, all relegated to avatar crap instead of making games just for me. :(

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Oh and another one I thought was great back then and I didn't even know who/what Cthulhu was at the time:
    99_PrisonerOfIce.jpg

I loved this game so much.

"You ATE this?"

Fantastic ending*to the story, recommend highly to adventure game fans who missed it.

*but the world is still doomed, for one day the stars will be right, for this is Call of Cthulhu... :^:

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    These games are all old, some of them really old.

Companions of Xanth (PC)- an amazing point and click adventure (that also inspired me to read all of the Xanth books as a young man - so clearly the enjoyment of this game comes at a price)
    War in Heaven (Apple IIe) - a strategy game, it was old. It was all ascii. Never been able to refind it.
    13th Floor/Dark Castle/Sceptres (Mac) - Playing these point and click rpg/adventures on a Macintosh was the best thing in ever. Especially 13th Floor, wherein one's trenchcoat provides you with the sufficient protection against the attacks of an evil Macintosh before you can engage your AK-47 to dispatch it.
    The Lawnmower Man (Mac) - The aim: Mow the lawn. The problem - the lawn is infested with hazards which you must dispatch by flinging blades.
    U-Four-ia (NES) - a metroid-vania-esque game involving four characters, the main one being Bop-Louie, whose head literally explodes from his shoulders in order to dispatch his foes. Last time I mentioned this people said I over sold it, so I am not going to wax as lyrical about it, but fuck those guys. But it was great and had all the elements of a metroid-vania.
    Dark Saviour (Saturn) - The path you take through the game depends on how well you perform in the opening stage, it explores multiple time lines and storylines. The gameplay wasn't necessarily the best - it ranged from ok to frustrating platforming. But it was pretty and awesome.
    Psychic Fox (MSX) - this is apparently the prequel to Decap Attack, which I haven't yet played.
    Psychic Force (MSX) - this was a lot of fun.

Things already mentioned about which I agree:

Mischief Makers
    The Deception Series

Things already mentioned which do not seem to fit "that no one played":

Uplink
    Moonwalker

Games which mights have been played by lots of people:

Cadash (Arcade/Megadrive)
    Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap (MSX)
    Wonderboy in Monster Land (Arcade/MSX)
    Toejam and Earl/Toejam and Earl Panic on Funkatron (Megadrive)

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    These games are all old, some of them really old.

Companions of Xanth (PC)- an amazing point and click adventure (that also inspired me to read all of the Xanth books as a young man - so clearly the enjoyment of this game comes at a price)

Thumbs up for that, I've got an entire bookshelf dedicated to Piers Anthony including the full set of Xanth figurines that were released [/nerd]

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    3doguardianwarfc.jpg

Who here even had a 3DO? Man that system was crap, but this game was awesome.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular

This was my first N64 game!

My vote goes to San Francisco Rush 2049.

Stunt mode, stunt mode, stunt mode.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I'm not going to claim this is 'the greatest game', but it's a game from my childhood that I absolutely adored. I've yet to find anyone else who knows about the game, so I imagine it counts.

Robotrekboxart.jpg

Classic jRPG for the SNES that I clearly played at the right age, as the story isn't much more hard-hitting than an average pokemon game (unless I'm not remembering correctly), but it was really fun and inventive (ha!) because you were playing as a budding inventor who could build robots to do your battles for you. It's kind of like pokemon before pokemon in that you did absolutely none of the battling and instead threw your robot (who pops out of a capsule, somehow) onto the field to hack or shoot (depending on what you've equipped on it) whatever stood in your way to death. You had up to three robots and if one broke down, the next in your queue popped out unless there were no more, in which case your game was over.

Through the game, you end up having to put your inventing skills to the test by finding recipes for key items (as well as non-key items; scattered through the game were books that you could use to learn how to make new equips for your bots) that you'd end up having to use at least once for one puzzle or the like which was and still is pretty damn cool.

It was just a really fun, neat little RPG that I always think of when I think of SNES-era RPGs or just SNES games in general (basically I always think of Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past and this), which is why it bugs me that nobody else seems to have played it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Another game that not a lot of people know about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP-mFl1vEgQ
    Reminds me of games like Disaster Report

• Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    Did people play Jet Force Gemini? Because it felt like they didn't.

Played and loved Jet Force Gemini. I did everything except save all those teddy bears. oh Rare and your crazy collectibles.

Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    You guys are playing fast and loose with "greatest" and "no one" in here. Maybe the one I'd most agree with is Mischief Makers, which is aces, but even that is a cult hit.

A while ago I might have said King of Dragon Pass, but since the re-release I feel like it's relatively popular.

I still think Darklands was an enormous leap forward in rpg design at the time, and it still has a lot to teach modern developers. I don't even know how to describe it. It was open world in 1992. And it was big and interesting. Party members had a lot of ways they could develop. If one died they were dead permanently, which was the standard for a lot of rpgs back then and something I'd love to see come back. I'd say it definitely deserves a revival, but since 15th Century Germany would be tough to shoehorn an FPS into, I guess it'll never happen.

edit: But even then it was popular in its time and still well regarded, so I guess I didn't play many super obscure games.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote:
    I'm not going to claim this is 'the greatest game', but it's a game from my childhood that I absolutely adored. I've yet to find anyone else who knows about the game, so I imagine it counts.

Robotrekboxart.jpg

Classic jRPG for the SNES that I clearly played at the right age, as the story isn't much more hard-hitting than an average pokemon game (unless I'm not remembering correctly), but it was really fun and inventive (ha!) because you were playing as a budding inventor who could build robots to do your battles for you. It's kind of like pokemon before pokemon in that you did absolutely none of the battling and instead threw your robot (who pops out of a capsule, somehow) onto the field to hack or shoot (depending on what you've equipped on it) whatever stood in your way to death. You had up to three robots and if one broke down, the next in your queue popped out unless there were no more, in which case your game was over.

Through the game, you end up having to put your inventing skills to the test by finding recipes for key items (as well as non-key items; scattered through the game were books that you could use to learn how to make new equips for your bots) that you'd end up having to use at least once for one puzzle or the like which was and still is pretty damn cool.

It was just a really fun, neat little RPG that I always think of when I think of SNES-era RPGs or just SNES games in general (basically I always think of Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past and this), which is why it bugs me that nobody else seems to have played it.

I never played it but I read about it in Nintendo Power and wanted to play it so fucking badly. However, for the longest time I was only allowed to buy one or two games a year and the few places that sold video games around here didn't always have a large selection so if I had ever seen it (which I don't think I ever had) I would have probably passed it up in favor of some other big name game like Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana or Super Metroid or whatever.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    You guys are playing fast and loose with "greatest" and "no one" in here. Maybe the one I'd most agree with is Mischief Makers, which is aces, but even that is a cult hit.

A while ago I might have said King of Dragon Pass, but since the re-release I feel like it's relatively popular.

I still think Darklands was an enormous leap forward in rpg design at the time, and it still has a lot to teach modern developers. I don't even know how to describe it. It was open world in 1992. And it was big and interesting. Party members had a lot of ways they could develop. If one died they were dead permanently, which was the standard for a lot of rpgs back then and something I'd love to see come back. I'd say it definitely deserves a revival, but since 15th Century Germany would be tough to shoehorn an FPS into, I guess it'll never happen.

edit: But even then it was popular in its time and still well regarded, so I guess I didn't play many super obscure games.

I always think of "greatest game nobody ever played" as essentially "game you liked that nobody else really did" because, well, if it's really great more people would have played it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i liked outwars quite a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMyaMRwsHcc

• Options
    TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    Robosport. I have no idea if people actually played that game or not, but it was amazing to me when I was...5.

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    Three more games just came to mind.

I-Ninja

I-Ninja.jpg

This game is Super Ninja Mario 64 with an occasional bit of Super Monkey Ball. You sometimes get to kill swarms of bad guys by getting a giant shuriken and riding it like a hoverboard into them. It is a ton of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2JQUpjAdU

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Magitsbox.jpg

I never got to play much of this because I'm horrible with right-stick aiming that's not Geometry Wars. But from what I did get to play, I can tell there's a wonderful game in there. Lucky for you can you still play this on your Xbox 360 through "Xbox Originals".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUuow-ygJUo

F-Zero GX

F-Zero_GX_box_artwork.png

Do I really need to explain myself with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePw94Vgxi98

But to be truly accurate, I should be saying F-Zero AX

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558