As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Driving

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So my license has been under suspension for quite a while. I've gotten the suspension lifted and I want to go about getting the license back.

At 25 years old, do I need an instruction permit to drive a bit just to brush up and so forth with supervision? Or is that just for minors? I am in Iowa. (The Iowa DOT does not seem to be answering their phone today, and I was hoping to get an answer before the weekend)

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sounds like you have to basically reapply for a license:

"After you've completed your suspension, you will need to take the knowledge test, driving exam, and vision screening to be issued a new Iowa driver's license. In addition, you will be required to pay any appropriate reinstatement and licensing fees and show proof of your financial responsibility, such as an SR-22."

From http://www.dmv.org/ia-iowa/suspended-license.php#Getting_Your_License_Reinstated

And from the Book:
    "To get your driving privilege back after a suspension or revocation you must go through
    a reinstatement process which may include passing required tests and paying appropriate
    fees. If your driving privilege is taken away, you may have to show future proof of financial
    responsibility. (See page 48.) If your license is suspended or revoked due to a conviction(s) or for reasons relating to financial responsibility, you will have to pay a $200 civil penalty prior to reinstatement.
    However, for persons age 19 or under, the civil penalty will be $50.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Right, but I'm just asking whether or not it's cool for me to drive with supervision to brush up before a driving test or if I need to jump through the hoops of having an instruction permit to do so. I ask because the only place I see any mention of an instruction permit on their website is in the "Under 18" section.

Also I was not driving drunk so I question how much of that applies to me.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Seems like no. Obviously you don't want to drive on a suspended one or with no license, and it doesn't look like you can get a instruction one.

DMV.com