As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for Game Programming Textbooks?

redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi,

So as a hobbyist game programmer I occasionally like to pick up some reading on the topic.

I don't have a formal education in Comp Sci/Game Prog but I've been fiddling for a while so have a decent background in C, Python, Actionscript, some other tidbits.

The problem is I feel all the commercially available books seem appropriate for mass cosnumption, they oftentimes have very simplified preambles and few popular listings in Amazon extend beyond the "Beginner ..." or "Intro to ...".

I'm curious if students of actual game design programs, such as Digipen etc use these types of offerings as in class materials? I wouldn't think so, but I may be wrong. I've gone through a Bachelor's so it just seems weird that there wouldn't be proper texts available. I have maybe around 10-20 Giant textbooks in my possession from my degree so it seems a little odd that those wouldn't be around for this particular field of study, especially when more and more accredited programs pop up.

Is it possible to even go so far as to find out reading lists for courses of popular/highly regarded programs?

I may be completely out of sorts and perhaps these programs don't rely on texts in the same way that some of the more classical studies do.

I'm kind of looking in the range of something on C, C++, C#, Unity3d, or Actionscript type stuff. But I would be eager to hear any information out there.

redraptor on